o n e

The Line That Separates Us

"I don't know how you do it." Baekhyun sighed beside me, shaking his head dramatically. Probably thinking about what happened this morning. 

"Do what?" I reply without looking away from my textbook. 

There were streams of students flowing into the room that could probably fit about a hundred people, and chatters were loud as the professor hadn't arrived yet. Seats were being taken up and there were small circles of peers scattered around. The different shampoo scents and spilt coffee on t-shirts was the smell I had gotten used to in the few months of being a university student. 

"How do you just stay in the room while Kai has a chick on his bed?"

"Well, I have my back turned away and music in my ears. I don't really notice."

The last bit was a lie. 

I did notice. My senses were too sensitive to not notice the movements in the small space around me. 

Not just in small spaces; any space occupied by Kai had my senses on edge.

Like when Kai entered the room a few minutes before the professor arrived, I didn't have to face away from the book to make sure he was there.

I knew he was there.

"I swear I smell the perfume from all the way here." Baekhyun snickered as he watched Kai greet his circle of friends, already laughing at something the tall one said.

It wasn't that Baekhyun disliked the boy personally. He just hated the frequent 'are you serious' and 'oh , sorry' he had to do every time we stumbled upon Kai's rendezvous in our dorm room. And he also didn't like the different perfumes Kai obtained during his engagements; 

Baekhyun was allergic to a few perfumes with certain ingredients. 

As the professor strolled into his class, most of the students had sat down; Kai and his friends filling the row behind us, like always. 

", Kai!" Baekhyun sneezes and continued to sneeze throughout the lecture, "How close do you need to get before their perfume sticks to you?"

As Baekhyun tried to quietly move seats, I shifted along with him. 

"Hey, roommate!"

Kai jogs up lightly down the hallway as the rest of the students come out from their classes. I felt Baekhyun stiffen and step away, already feeling the itch in his nose as the boy came closer in our vicinity. 

"Some of the boys wanted to have games night in the room. Is that cool?"
"Yeah, whatever."
"So," There was a pause in his sentence, a hesitation that prepared me to expect the next few words, "can we forget the line tonight?"
"No."

With a quick change of direction, I pull onto Baekhyun's wrist and paced away from Kai. 

There was no way I would risk not having the line again. 
No way.

'Sehun, can you let go now? Your nails are digging into my skin'. 

With a mutter of 'sorry', we continued to walk and a conversation had already begun as we went to get a coffee. 

Baekhyun's part-time place needed more people and I needed some extra cash, so I might check it out. He was also going on a date with a girl from his Vocal training class, then asked me if I wanted to go on a double date since the girl had a friend.

"Baek, I'm not that desperate to use you to get a girl."
"But you're desperate enough for a girl."
"Correction, I'm not desperate. And I'm not going to exploit our friendship we have for a girl I haven't met." 

He nudges his shoulders with mine slightly, pretending to blush with his hands covering his cheeks. Something about me, forever being his Prince Charming.

"So." He says as we get our coffees placed on the small table. Baekhyun ordered a latte and I got a cappuccino with two spoons of sugar.
"So?" I mulled back as I stirred the sweetness through my drink.
"Why'd you act like that back there? Saying 'No' so strongly then dragging me away from the scene?"

I stopped stirring, then pulled the utensil out of the mug. 

I didn't know how to tell him, without telling him everything. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

"I just don't like having a lot of strangers in our room, so by saying 'No' about forgetting the line, he can bring fewer people".
"Ah," I could tell he didn't believe me but I appreciated him not pushing the subject further as we sipped our drinks, "Anyway, I am actually serious about the double date."
'I'm not looking for anyone, Baekhyun."
"But Taeyeon said she'll feel better having her friend there, and you know how long I've been trying to get her to go on a date with me.'

Honestly. I didn't want to go. 

Most of the time, the girls Baekhyun dated were weird and giggled a little too much.

Like the girls that Kai started bringing to our room. They all laughed at everything and didn't have a problem using our bathroom ; some even had the nerve to use my shampoo and body wash when they showered. 

I tried telling my friend I wasn't interested, let alone confident, to sit through two hours of moving images while sitting beside a complete stranger for a movie I paid for. Plus, I was broke. 

I tried to reason with the brown headed boy.

"I'm short on ca-"
"I'll pay."
"I don't know any good mov-"
"I'll pick."
"I don't like popc-"
"Chips then."
"I'm bus-"
"I know you're not."
"I don't know he-"
"Neither do I."
"What the fu-"
"Great. Problem solved. Saturday at 5."

fml.