We burn faster than the cig between my fingers

Late Night Calls - Oneshot Collection

GTOP AU 3505 words // This is by far the most drama-ist thing I'd done lol

Jhameel - Come and Lie (x)

 

 

 

 

 

Even in the next life after this, I'd find you and I'd choose you still.

 

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong had been married for 5 years. They both work hard to pay off the bill and share the up and down of their lives together. One day Jiyong got into accident at work, and he hasn't heal even after quite some time. Seunghyun thought Jiyong would get better as long as he takes care and take him to see doctor regularly until, until his mother told him that it's best for him to marry a girl that she always wanted him to marry with. And apparently Jiyong agreed to that idea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Go marry her, it's for the best, you don't think that it's better to root here with me, don't you?"

"No way in hell! I am your husband!"

"If you love me, let me go then. I'll be okay, Seunghyun, I promise, just put me in the place where they put blind and disable people together, you know how good I am with being friends with people, don't you. Don't worry about me. Go live your life and be happy."

"I ain't gonna continue this conversation with you, Jiyong. My will is final. I will stay and live with you, no matter what happen. Even if you push me away, I'll be the one who take the step forward to reach you."

"Then we'll talk about it later. I probably should talk to your mother then, just make sure for her to proceed with your wedding asap. I'll give my permission, I'll call my lawyer and proceed with our divorce. You just get to sign it, and then you're good to go. I am only an obstacle for your life, Seunghyun. And I wanted you to be happy. Go marry the girl that your mother had in mind."

"You know that I have never wanted to get married until I meet you? It was because of you that I decided to settle! Because it's with you and I believe in you, I wanted it to be with you, only. I'm not a property that you could just give off when you're tired, Jiyong. I won't leave you, I already told you since that day in hospital, I won't ever leave you. I don't care about my mother's plan, my only plan is to be with you."

 

 

 

Jiyong had been trying to change Seunghyun's mind about putting an end to their marriage now. It's all because of that damn accident, Jiyong was working in a chemical company that antiseptic and personal care products and as a Research officer, he needs to get around the factory and the lab soon, also he needs to check on their supply on products' ingredients too.

 

It was just his usual day to day task, he went around at the factory, to see and to control the daily operation but then suddenly things started to fall from the warehouse upstairs - turns out their company's building collapsed. People were all injured and bleeding because they were hit by gallons of their company's raw material but then when there were ambulance's siren, people were screaming in agony, and when Jiyong was back to his sense, he tried to lift his body but then he can't feel his legs. So he was searching for his phone to make call and to search for help or anything but then he can't see anything, he feels slight burn on his eyes, but it's all dark, he can hear people call his name, he can hear people scream in pain, but he can't see anything. It was too dark for his liking, and he was too tired to deal with everything so he drives himself to sleep.

Jiyong woke up to the sounds of machine beeping, he opened his eyes and he still can't see anything, he tried to touch his eyes and then he found out that his eyes all wrapped by something like bandage, so he then tried to lift his legs and he still can't. He is so tired, he is wake and present but he can't do anything. It's still too dark for him to see, he was trying to say or to talk but he end up coughing, his legs feels dead, he was trapped. So he tried to calm himself and try to maximize his other senses, to listen.

 

"He's stable now. Yeah. Thankfully. No we don't know about that yet, it's only 4 days after his accident and he went through two operations already, yes I really hope so too. Thanks for asking, please tell boss that I still can't go to work, thanks Daesung. Please do pray for Jiyong."

"Hi, yes mom. I'm still at hospital. Doctor said Jiyong gets better, he is in stable condition now. There was fire and he was really near of that so, I'm afraid, mom. Thank you, thank you. Yes, I'll tell him you say hi when he wake up."

"Hello, eomma. Yes, He's still unsconcious for 4 days now, doctor came this morning and said that he's stable, thankfully. I hope he'll wake up soon, too. Yes. There was an accident at Jiyong's workplace that day. He was doing his rounds, checking things and then suddenly gallons of chemicals dropped from their warehouse upsatairs cos it collapsed. Sorry I wasn't able to protect your son from bad things, Mrs. Kwon, I am a bad son in law"

 

 

 

"Jiyong? Baby? Are you awake yet? You've been sleeping for 4 days, don't you think you should wake up already? C'mon I need you here, wake up please."

Jiyong then feels droplets on his hands that turns out to be Seunghyun's tears. Seunghyun was caressing his hands to keep him warm and even turn on a humidifier for him, judging by the sound of it. He wonders whether he should tell him that he's awake or just to pretend so that he could hear a thing or two, guess he'd settle with the latter.

 

 

 

 

"Mr. Choi? Are you Mr. Kwon's guardian?"

"Yes. What's wrong"

"I was just checking up on you, the doctor will come here to talk to you in minutes."

"Okay, I'll wait here."

 

 

"Good morning, Mr. Choi."

"Morning doc, how is my husband."

"Well as you can see, he's stable now but still haven't shown any indication that he's awake yet and I noticed something strange from the MRI and CT Scan results. It seems to me that Mr. Kwon Jiyong might injured his eyes and his legs, I checked up on his legs earlier and there was burns marks all over it, also even with the bandage on his eyes, you can still see that it's swollen. I let you know beforehand, so that you can prepare for the worst, Mr. Choi."

"But you are his doctor, you should do your best to make him be healthy and all to saved him from the aftermath of his accident, doc!"

"I know but as you can see, acid is dangerous, Mr. Choi. When it gets contact with our body, it would burn and melt us, but despite it all, I'll try my best. I promise to help Mr. Kwon."

"Thanks doc, please do, please save him."

 

 

 

Jiyong heard it all, and  strangely it hits him like a thousand waves that if he annouced that he's awake, it all will become real.

He will be met with the dark, he won't be able to see, he would be blind and also won't be able to walk.

He's afraid, so he decided he'd pretend to still be unconscious, if he'd pretend long enough, maybe the universe would take pity on him and let him wake up from this nightmare.

"Jiyong, baby, I'm here, Seunghyun is here. If you can hear me, please wake up will you? We can do whatever it takes to make you healthy again, we can go overseas and getting help, I need you to wake up first, Jiyong, please."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Seunghyun."

"Mother?"

"How is Jiyong?"

"He's still unconscious, they said. But I've seen his fingers moved and that's all."

"I see, Well son, have you thought about my offer? You don't have to marry her rightaway, just go meet her and you can take it slow with her. She had been waiting for you, she loved you, Seunghyun. I see that in her eyes, she had been wanting to be with you ever since you guys been childhood friends."

"Mother, my husband here is laying unconscious, please do have mercy on me. And no, there would be no marriage, no date, no girl no one beside Jiyong. I only wanted him."

"Okay then if that's your choice, you know that you still owe me a lot, you owe me big time, if you wanted my money to send Jiyong to big hospital rather than in here. Contact me, I will take care of him and make sure that he'd wake up with functioning eyes and limbs and legs. But in exchange, you have to marry Haewon, you have to marry her and give me grandkids. Please do think about it, if you really do love Jiyong, I know, you will do it. Because I know both of you guys' salary won't be able to afford his treatment. I'll wait for your news soon."

 

 

 

 

"God, Jiyong, for the first time in forever, I'm thankful that you aren't awake cos what would happen to you, if you heard my mom saying that? Would you pushed me away? Or would you fight together with me to be gone from her?"

 

 

 

 

 

It's getting hard to pretend for Jiyong, the bandage on his eyes is making him uncomfortable beside it's his 2th weeks in here, means that everyone had been thinking he's out for almost 2 weeks already. He has been pretending and eavesdropping for almost a week, he had to do something, his nurse already know about him being awake, and he had been receiving a lot of help from the nurse and the doctor. His only goal was to learn what people said behind his back, especially about his mother in law's plan to marry his husband off. He still needs a lot time to think, on whether he'd pushed Seunghyun and let him away or to get back and fight his evil mother in law together with Seunghyun. Guess today would be the day of it. He would give it all up. He can't take anymore, when he heard the girl's voice around Seunghyun, he already thinks and pictures them in his mind, so he put an end to anything.

 

 

 

"Oppa, hi, Seunghyun oppa! I came here to see your friend, Jiyong. Is he okay?"

"Haewon, stop. Jiyong is my husband, we had been married for 5 years! Whatever you're trying to do, stop it, it won't work."

"Ah really? Are you sure? I see that your husband is laying down in a coma like that, I guess it's okay for us to play around, don't you think? He won't know anyway."

"Stop it."

"Seunghyun, do you love him? If you do then date and marry me, then we'd give your mother the grandkids that she wanted by then your dearest husband would be able to be normal again. Don't you wanted that? You should help him!"

"I know ! I know all I wanted is to give him everything but no I can't cheat! I won't!"

"I know you're tired, Seunghyun. Let me do the work. We will give Jiyong happiness won't we? Come here, touch me."

"No!"

"C'mon for the sake of him! Touch me here."

"No! Never!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong felt like he wanted to die. Hearing it all happened right in front of him and in his hospital room was hell. So he screamed and let the world know, that, that Kwon Jiyong won't surrender just like that.

"Seunghyun!!"

"Jiyong! Jiyong, baby, you're awake! Wait, I'll call the doctor for you."

"Well the almighty Kwon Jiyong is here and awake. I don't see why Seunghyun still so in love with you, I mean look at you. A glance at you, and everyone know that you damaged your eyes and legs, what a pity that you can't see yourselff now."

"Stop it , go away."

"I will. But wait until I stole your husband away and we'd born beautiful kids together, something that you can't never give to him!"

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Jiyong, have you woken up yet? I've cooked oatmeal for you with chocolate sauce, you'd like it!"

"Don't you think you need to stop, Seunghyun? You will only wasting your time here with me. Just send me to a place for blind and disabled people will you? I hate to see you suffer like this. I am only a burden for you!"

"I will pretend I don't hear that. Let's eat. This is your bowl, on the left side is your spoon, and on the right side is a glass of water. Let's eat, baby."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What do you wanted me to do, Jiyong? Will you please stop pushing me away?"

"I am tired, Seunghyun, I am tired of being a burden. Let me go. Send me away, please."

"Well have you ever thought of me just for a second? I am tired too. But I'm willing to fight despite everything I will fight for you, I ain't gonna let you go."

 

 

 

 

The hospital bills for Jiyong's medication and therapy is pilling up, even if his previous company paid the 85% of it, it's still expensive. With Jiyong not working anymore, it's getting harder for Seunghyun to afford for necessity things like foods for the both of them, and electricity. It started to get harder. Tonight, is one of the most hardest, Seunghyun came home to a dark house and when he'd turn on emergency lights and candle, he'd found Jiyong was sleeping soundly. So he sit on the floor next to their bed, and unknowingly the tears just flows, maybe he had been strong for too long.

"Seunghyun? Why are you crying?"

"I can't afford paying our electricity bills for this month so they cut our light off. Is it always like this for you, Jiyong? It's dark now, it's suffocating. I'm so sorry."

"No, Seunghyun. I am sorry. Come here, lay down with me."

"I'm sorry Jiyong. I'll try to fill a loan tomorrow. Maybe my company would help me."

"You don't have to, Seunghyun. I know you're tired. Let us sleep for now, okay."

"Can I please hug you? I miss you. We've never been this close for months."

"Of course, Seunghyun?"

"Hmm?"

"Whatever I say when I'm mad, please know that you're the love of my life. Even in the next life, Seunghyun,"

"I'd find and I'd choose you still, Jiyong. That's our wedding promise, yeah?"

"Yeah. I'd choose you, always."

 

 

 

"Jiyong?"

"Can you promise me one thing?"

"No matter how hard it is, don't marry me off please?"

"You know how crazy my mother is, I'm afraid she'd make you sign a divorce suit and she'd make me marry her. Please for the sake of us, don't do that. Even if you hate me for not being able to afford your therapy and all, please don't do that will you? Be patient with me, someday I'll take you overseas and we'd be able to afford your eye surgery. Please don't marry me off."

"Seunghyun. I won't, I promise, I love you with all of my life. Please don't think that way. We can do this, can't we?" 

 

 

 

 

 

The stress of everyday life and the bills is starting to take Seunghyun to its toll. He started to smoke more often. Sometimes Jiyong would wake up late at night, touching the clod sheet and feel the wind from their balcony, by that Jiyong knew that Seunghyun smoking again now. They had agreed to stop smoking after getting marriage, since they ain't getting any younger, that they realized to take care of their body more. Thinking about their marriage made him think about how hard it was for the both of them to gain blessing from Seunghyun's mother, she had never accepted the fact that his only son is gonna marry a man and also she really hates the fact that Choi family won't get to continue it's reign from Seunghyun's side cos yeah they both won't be able to get pregnant that is. That is why she had been pestering Seunghyun to marry that girl, so that she'd get the thing that she had been wanting to have, grandchildren.

 

Somedays are better than others. Jiyong's previous workplace took pity on him and covered all of his hospital bill and is paying for his therapy too. He can walk now, even just a little by little. Turns out Seoul have great medical support and it only take 6 months therapy for Jiyong to be able to walk again, even he's still using his cane now. But it's okay, things started to get better for them. Now that Seunghyun get a raise from his company, and also with the help for Jiyong's hospital bill, they can live peacefully now and finally financially stable. Being an office worker has it's own virtue, sure you had predictable and stable income and Seunghyun is thankful for it all now. Even if he's not be able to pay for Jiyong's eye surgery or anything yet, at least they're getting better now.

 

"Seunghyun?"

"Jiyong! I woke you up, don't you, I'm so sorry."

"Ah baby, you reek of smoke and asphalt now."

"Sorry."

"I was just joking, let's get inside? It's cold here."

"Can we stay for a little while? I want to stay here with you."

"Okay."

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

"Seunghyun, it's final. As you can see now, Jiyong had sign your divorce paper and Haewon already signed you and her marriage license, so what are you waiting for? Go sign the both of this papers and I'll take Jiyong to Manchester, so that he'd be able to see again."

"Mother.  I am 45 years old already, stop taking my life into your account! Beside you see this? This is my bank account and with the help of my company, my money here is more than enough to afford treatment for Jiyong and also to affod our life off from you! You won't get to see me anymore!"

"But Seunghyun! No! I am rich, I can give you and Jiyong anything, you just have to marry Haewon!"

"Well mom you can marry her if you want, I am leaving the country. I don't wanted to see you anymore. My lawyer will contact you within this week to send you money, from our debt when we borrowed your money for Jiyong's treatment, and those time when I was unemployed. I hope you know you don't own me, mom. Just because you gave birth to me, you don't own me. I love you but please don't do this to Hyeyoon my noona, don't you ever treat her the way you treated me."

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun then tore all the papers in front of his mother, and take Jiyong away from that house. He had packed everything already, their clothes, enough blanket for Jiyong, instant foods, water and other essential things. Jiyong felt sorry and just let himself being carried by Seunghyun to the car, and he stayed there quietly.

"Jiyong?"

"Jiyong?"

"Baby, why are you crying. It's okay the nightmare is gone, no more evil mother in love, no more threat for me to marry any girl. No more disrespected towards you."

"But how can you be able to afford all of these, Seunghyun? Until when we'd be able to pay of this debt? Eye treatment is expensive! You should rethink this!"

"Kwon Jiyong, listen to me. You are my choice, you will always be my number 1, I'd always put you first. My company did help a lot, my boss gave me raise and bonus for my performance during these days, don't worry about that. I wanted you to be able to see again. Let's do this, okay?"

"I'm sorry that you need to do this for me. You could just throw me away and.."

"Oh please stop with it already babe?"

"Okay."

"Come here. Lay down on my shoulder, we've got quite a long way to go. I already told the uber driver our gate."

 

 

 

By that, they finally in peace, hand in hand. Waiting and thinking for a better time ahead. For a better universe ahead. Better days when Jiyong would fall into Seunghyun's arms again, when Seunghyun would be able to see the light and see his own reflection on Jiyong's beautiful brown eyes again. Better days when they'd both would be able to walk hand in hand at the beautiful street of Manchester, both eating cinnamon filled pretzels. By then they'd be able to forget and forgive everything and just focus to make each other happy, no more sadness, no more screams, no more burns. Just Jiyong and Seunghyun.