The Training

Antidote
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The King wishes to speak to you in the Eastern Garden, General.”

 

Kai cringed at the title the palace maid addressed him as. Even if he was the highest ranked member, he didn’t expect any form of treatment from the maids around. He merely acknowledged the order and went back to his team to retire back to what they were originally doing before their training.

 

“But— it’s barely been 3 hours.” One of them protested, there were always training for more than 5 hours. It felt unnatural to discontinue after only a few hours.

 

Kai etched a smile on his face, proud of his team that they were still persistent in training even when they’ve already given the most of themselves for the past weeks because of the expected mission. Kai sighed to himself, it wouldn’t be easy to go into other countries or regions. Ever since the year of the epidemic’s release; the other countries have blamed and boycotted the Kingdom.

 

Aleyious was lucky though, it wasn’t a Kingdom that depended so much on other countries’ resources. It was dependant enough to support its citizens.

 

The only problem now; was the manufacturing of teas and growing the Forsythias. His thoughts flew to Baekhyun who was still probably negotiating with China’s Emperor. There was never a moment where Baekhyun returns scar or injury free from that country. It was unfortunate that Kai could never step foot there together with him.

 

Pushing his thoughts away, Kai left his team alone to do what they wished and made haste to the Imperial Garden. It was always his favourite place to visit.

 

Both Baekhyun and Shixun always loved to help him plant and water more flowers, especially orchids. But they were always difficult to care for. Kai smiled sadly at the memory, only two out of three of them would remember such beautiful reminisces.

 

Kai shook his head and laughed pitifully to himself as he passed the palace’s connector from the Western to the Eastern Wing. It was difficult pretending to not know Shixun on a more personal level. It wasn’t fair that Baekhyun could be amiable and cordial around her when Kai was the one who was always with her despite Baekhyun being the son of Kris’s personal assistant.

 

“Kai!”

 

Kai stopped in his tracks, realising that he already stepped foot in the garden when he was surrounded by the white roses and hanging orchids. He looked up and met the King’s eyes, averting his gaze to the male beside him after giving a short bow and small smile.

 

Luhan was looking at with sharp eyes, “I’ll leave you two to talk.” He murmured mainly for his father, but also just loud enough for Kai to hear from where he stood. He too, gave a short bow to the King and walked towards Kai’s direction— stopping just by his side.

 

“How was the girl’s training?”

 

Kai opened his mouth to say something but closed it back when he realised he didn’t know if it has ended or not.

 

“She might still be in training,” Kai informed, meeting Luhan’s bemused expression. “Shixun didn’t train with me today; but with Krystal instead.”

 

Luhan cocked an eyebrow and clicked his tongue. Without another word, the prince left the area, “Was it the training room?” The prince asked to confirm.

 

When Kai nodded silently, Luhan didn’t look back but instead went off to the path where Kai came from.

                                                                                        

“Kai,” he heard the King call his name for the second time. “Walk with me.”

 

Kai smiled and nodded, following closely almost side by side. They followed the stoned paths of the garden, strolling with no words leaving their lips — and Kai missed strolling in the garden.

 

His father was the Imperial Garden’s head gardener, and every day while he was alive; Kai would regularly help plant new potted plants and growing bushes. And each spring, Kai would always be the first one to witness the cherry blossoms at the far end of the garden to bloom.

 

 

Together with Shixun.

 

Baekhyun never liked doing the activities of planting. He didn’t like the soil nor the creatures they see there. He would instead, often visit the libraries alone because of his delicate health; he was allergic to pollen. But still, he always loved telling his friends about what he learnt of flowers and plants in the books he read.

 

“Do you remember Kai,” the King started as he stopped in front of the bush of white roses. “Your father was one dedicated gardener; the flowers and plants he planted, never failed to sprout and bloom.”

 

Kai etched a wistful smile on his face, how could he forget?

 

“And, you were always eager to show Shixun the newly bloomed cherry blossoms at the end there.” The King jerked his chin to the end of the garden, revealing the beautiful and s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter