The Surprise

Antidote
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had the team gathered around the campfire. They were all heartily eating their dinner, laughing and joking around even when they had just suffered in a huge battle. He watched them with fondness and adoration in his eyes, not realising that Chanyeol had plopped right by his side.

 

“Are you thinking of your lover or something?”

 

Jumping in shock, Baekhyun grabbed the fabric on his chest where his heart was supposed to be. He shook his head and sighed when Chanyeol ripped a chicken leg almost carnivorously. If they weren’t at war, Baekhyun would’ve already grimaced at the way he ate.

 

“Anyways,” Chanyeol began again, chomping on the chicken in his mouth. “Are you going to call for backup?”

 

Baekhyun opened his mouth to answer, but he recalled a conversation between two of the team members which happened earlier after Chanyeol hugged the tears out of him.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

“What if we don’t make it out of this?”

 

“Baekhyun will call for backup, don’t worry—.”

 

“But all of this, just for a few petals we’re not guaranteed?”

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

Baekhyun swallowed the lump in his throat. They were right. The Resistance wasn’t made for dying for a few petals. And they weren’t supposed to be sent out for wars either. Baekhyun let his eyes linger on the team, scanning each and every one of their bandaged arms and heads.

 

“No.”

 

Chanyeol stopped munching on his chicken leg and wiped the grease off with the back of his hand. He cocked an eyebrow at the younger and even though he was assigned to take charge, Chanyeol didn’t think Baekhyun would be willing to risk their lives further. But before he could utter anything, Baekhyun got up to his feet and managed to catch the attention of the team.

 

“Once all of you are done, we’ll pack up.” He told, balling both his fists by his sides. “We’re leaving for Aleyious.”

 

His team gawked at him, wide-eyes and mouths agape at what he said.

 

“But, our task—”

 

“Our task, is to retrieve the flowers without war.” Baekhyun freshened their memories. “And by fighting them already, don’t you think we’ve gone against the King’s orders.”

 

Chanyeol wanted to protest, but stopped himself. Whatever the shorter man said, was right. Never had Aleyious waged war against China. All they did for the few days was to try to negotiate with the new emperor, but instead of being treated with equity; they were attacked on a foreign ground.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

They were all packed up and ready to leave in the private planes; but all except Baekhyun decided to stay behind.

 

“What?” Chanyeol asked, “Are you crazy? Whatever for?”

 

Baekhyun simply smiled, “I’m not going back to Aleyious with you, I need to tag along on Kai’s mission— to find the antidote in Zenn.”

 

Chanyeol frowned in disagreement, “And how do you think you’re gonna catch up to them then?”

 

Baekhyun jerked his chin to the forest nearby. He took out a black controller as small as a compact powder and pressed his thumb against the surface of the object. A small ‘beep’ sound was heard coming from the forest before a red light emitted and disappeared as briefly as it came.

 

“What— was that!” Chanyeol asked, lips parted.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he shook his head. “My one-way ticket to catching up with them.”

 

When Baekhyun turned to wave and bid goodbye to his team, he realised that Chanyeol was still sticking by his side. Sighing, he spun around to face him knowing that he definitely wasn’t going to leave Baekhyun alone.

 

“You can come along but— please just, keep your noise level down,”

 

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

 

The pantry was one of the beautiful places of the ship. Not only because it was where most of their food was kept; but it was also because the design and colours they held. The walls were the only ones which had a light but also a little tad, pale brown coating, pleasing to the eyes. The designer of this room specifically wanted the pantry to have an autumn look, where it was nice to unwind and relax while you chat over tea or muffins.

 

The far-ends of the middle wall had autumn-printed leaves of yellow and oranges hues and a tint of red. The table in the centre of the room was a rich brown colour, complementing the beautiful and near elegant, primrose yellow chairs. The cupboards too, were of reddish brown to balance and tone the bright colours down.

 

Krystal smiled at the sight in front of her. Autumn has always been her favourite season. It wasn’t too hot, nor was it too cold. Though she could say Spring was a close second, Autumn would always bring out the best emotions in her. The colour change in the leaves would always be the first thing she looked forward too when she was younger, but as she grew, she would instead prefer to sit around the Eastern Garden; together with Kai.

 

The blonde emitted a long sigh, shaking her head as she remembered what happened last night. Did she break up with him? She couldn’t tell. It happened all at once, but she couldn’t say that her feelings for him has dropped. If anything, it grew more since she knew she now had physical competition. She wanted Kai.

 

Back then, Shixun was only a fragment of Kai’s memory. And totally non-existent for Krystal, so the blonde never saw her as a real threat. Kai couldn’t go back to someone who wasn’t there.

 

But now— now, was different. She’s here, and Krystal would stop at nothing to keep Kai by her side. It was fine when Luhan would defend their half-sisters and if he were to stand on their side during certain arguments but Kai… He can’t stand on somebody else’s side; not on Krystal’s watch.

 

Kai was the only one nobody else can have.

 

“Oh, Krystal?’

 

The blonde jumped in surprise, whipping around to meet the subject of her thoughts. Kai’s deep russet orbs were pinned on her own, making the Princess gulp dryly. But the moment was over when Krystal turned and mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter