The Puzzled

Antidote
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun straightened his posture as he turned the final bend before stopping in front of his friend’s door. Knocking thrice, the man waited for a few moments before the door slide open, revealing a disarrayed Kai with his hair unkempt and darker circles under his eyes. Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun moved forwards and brushed past his friend and flicking his light on. He turned around and folded his arms, watching as Kai’s shoulders slumped as he slid the door shut. He moved over to his bed and plopped onto his bed, scratching the side of his face. He propped his elbows on his knees and heaved a deep sigh.

 

“Say it.” Kai’s voice reverberated against the walls of the silent room. “Tell me I was low, and stupid, and messed up to the point that I even tied her up to—” Kai’s throat dried as he remembered how he paid no mind or heed to Shixun’s pleadings and wailings. Forget the moment itself, she’s even told him her fears and what she was most traumatised of; but in the end, he still did what did because of his guilt towards Krystal. Shixun shouldn’t have to pay the price of Kai’s own guilt.

 

“Can’t say that I didn’t have the intent of punching you in the face then,” Baekhyun spat, folding his arms. But his expression softened as he let out a controlled sigh. “But you didn’t hurt her.”

 

Kai wiped his faced and got on his feet, “I couldn’t— I felt so bad for leaving Krystal and I thought I could make it up to her by giving her the antidote but…”

 

Baekhyun watched as Kai buried his face into his palms. Of course, it was bad enough he left the princess without any proper explanation, it was only natural for him to feel immense culpability after knowing that Krystal’s been sick all the while.

 

“Do you think you’re confused?”

 

Kai looked up from his palms and bit his bottom lip. Was he? He wasn’t sure. He didn’t even know what to do. It was suffocating, to know that he’s hurting to individuals just because he doesn’t seem to be in control of his emotions. He knew that neither of them would accept whatever reason or excuse for inflicting torment upon them both.

 

“I am angry at you Kai, I can’t hide that.” Baekhyun told with a scowl on his face and balled fists by his sides, “But I know Shixun wouldn’t want me to hurt you; and neither would I want to hurt you.”

 

Kai’s jaw locked as he bit back an apology— it wasn’t the right time to say anything at the moment, especially an apology that isn’t intended or aim towards Baekhyun. He didn’t turn as Baekhyun took strong steps towards the door, sliding it open but not before leaving Kai with a statement to ponder over.

 

“We’ll be reaching Zenn soon, I hope by the time our mission ends; you’ve figured out who you want to leave and who you want to stay with.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

“We’ll be reaching Zenn in 15 minutes, Resistance— ensure that you’re on standby.” Shixun heard Kai’s flat voice chime from the announcement. “We’re going into incognito mode.”

 

Shixun felt the ship vibrate a little, holding onto Baekhyun’s hand as it sped up. She watched from the glass window from the lounge room and gulped when she saw the planet. It didn’t look very welcoming, and Shixun hoped that they would be able to grab onto the constituents fast. Both her and Baekhyun managed to figure out the map and the possible barriers they may face once they land and commence the search. The latter even personally discussed with Luhan and Kai, making multiple plans in case the ones before doesn’t work.

 

But Shixun didn’t feel too good about the mission either. They were still missing out on the last ingredient. And nobody could figure out what it was; Shixun’s shown it to the whole ship and even Luhan couldn’t understand the writing and drawings. The only thing that worried her most is for this trip to be an utter and complete waste of time.

 

“What if we don’t figure out what the last constituent is Baekhyun,” Shixun breathed, burying her head into her best friend’s chest as she wrapped her arms around him. Baekhyun always had a lithe figure, and it was always so comforting to hug him, especially when she felt so unsure. “What if—”

 

“Enough with ‘what ifs’, we’ll figure it out Shixun.” Baekhyun assured, resting his arm around his friend’s waist as he sighed. “I just need to think harder. You and Kai— uh… I mean seeing that the both of you were able to recall your forgotten memories; I should be able to do that too.”

 

Shixun paid ignorance when Kai’s name was mentioned. She shifted her position and looked outside at the billion stars as they neared the planet, getting closer and closer. What would happen once things – once the mission – is over? She doubted she’d stay in the palace; despite being comfortable with having Baekhyun around. And even Chanyeol. The man managed to warm up to her in less than a day and Shixun didn’t remember when was the last time she managed to click with someone that well. She couldn’t bring herself to linger around the palace; too much has happened between her and the imperial children, and Kai and ugh— things were so out of balance and control.

 

She looked to Baekhyun who held a smile on his lips, as genuine as ever. And if Shixun were to really leave the palace once this was all over, she reckoned that that smile, was what she would miss most.

 

Her thoughts were disrupted when door abruptly slid open, revealing a blonde Shixun expected to never see after what happened a few days ago. As if on instinct, Baekhyun edged closer to his best friend and held a hand in his palm; his face calm but alert when the princess walked in.

 

“Can I talk to you?”

 

Baekhyun frowned, tilting his head in confusion when Krystal didn’t lunge forward. He turned his head back, making eye contact with Shixun to which the girl showed a mimicked expression of his own.

 

“I promise— I just want to talk.” Her voice barely above a whisper as she her lips. “You could stay outside the door if you want, I won’t hurt her.”

 

Baekhyun was about to decline the princess’s offer. But Shixun tugged at his hand, giving him a smile of reassurance despite feeling fear creeping into her heart. Krystal has physically wounded her badly, twice if she might add. And the brunette can assure you that it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. All she wanted to do now was to stay away from the princess, but even she knew that it wouldn’t be wise nor would it be a good idea to keep avoiding the princess either.

 

“It’s okay Baek,” Shixun whispered, wrapping her hands briefly around his arms. “I’ll be fine, you can wait outside; I’ll scream for your name if anything happens.” And even though it came out as a joke with the light giggle that came after she made the remark, Shixun really hoped nothing would be happen between her and Krystal; especially now that they’re only minutes away from Zenn.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Shixun’s ears perked up, her brows furrowing as she heard an apology escape from Krystal’s lips as soon as the door slid close behind her. Her eyes soon widened in shock when Krystal got onto her knees with her palms clasped together.

 

“I’m so sorry Shixun, I didn’t know how much you went through.”

 

Shixun heard a crack in the princess’s voice, and how she croaked the rest of her sentences. But Shixun never had the intention of making the princess feel guilty either. Though as ironic as it sounds, she didn’t want the princess to feel more pain; it must’ve been difficult for her to go through the sickness alone.

 

“I heard from Kai and Luhan about what happened,” she sniffed, brushing her hair back as she tilted her face up. “I’m really, so sorry Shixun, I— I don’t know how to make it up to you. I don’t expect you to forgive me; after what I did and felt towards you, I know it wouldn’t be easy to—”

 

“I forgive you.”

 

Krystal stopped apologising and widened her eyes in surprise. stayed agape as tears rolled down her cheeks. It wouldn’t have been possible for her to forgive someone who treated her that horribly, but here, Shixun was doing exactly that.

 

“Wh— what…”

 

Shixun sighed and pulled the princess up onto her feet. It was tiring to hold grudges, emotionally exhausting. She knew she was going to forget about it sooner or later, but it was best to forgive the princess first before anything.

 

“Why would you… do that…”

 

Shixun didn’t respond. Well, she didn’t think she needed to. She turned around and went back to the couch, biting her bottom lip when she heard Kai’s voice resounding from the speakers again.

 

“3 minutes left to landing; Resistance, take your positions and remember— we’re in incognito.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter