The Shock [Part 2]

Antidote
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: heavy dialogue content ahead

 

 

***

 

 

“Kr… Kris?”

 

Both Luhan and Kris whipped their heads to the voice that came from the narrow, main entrance. The Crown Prince had to squint his eyes to see who it was, it didn’t help that there was only one dim yellow light on the ceiling when there were four cells around.

 

“Baekhyun? Is that you?”

 

The man went down the staircase with all the guilt on his shoulders, but he didn’t confirm Luhan’s question when his eyes were only set on the man he thought was long gone, together with his mother. 

 

“Kris… it’s really you.” Baekhyun held the lamp light nearer to the man’s face, his mouth gaping when he momentarily saw Shixun’s face flashing before his eyes. His pupils trembled, not in fear but in guilt when he remembered the silent promise he made to Kris years and years ago. In fact, it was a promise made only between the two of them; during a time when it wasn’t hectic. And when the epidemic was still uncreated. 

 

He promised with all his life, that he would protect Shixun at all costs. 

 

Baekhyun looked back at Kris and noticed how his thick and slick brown hair is now almost as white as a sheet. The distinguishable and familiar ebony lines were still prominent as always, coming from the back of his right ear and down to his collarbone. After fifteen years, they still had the prints on them.

 

“Why are you here…” Baekhyun frowned in sudden realisation, why was Kris locked up in the stinking cell? “Aren’t you supposed to be working together with my mother.”

 

It came off as a full statement, not an enquiry. And Baekhyun knew that the answer that was about to leave Kris’ lips wasn’t something that he would look forward to. The latter’s expression turned sour and solemn as he hung his head, looking away before he turned his back on the Resistance member.

 

“She was the one who locked me up here.”

 

The boy dropped the lamp in disbelief, staggering backwards as he shook his head in denial. His mother would never. How could Kris accuse her of something like that?

 

“You’re lying! You must’ve been the one who… who—”

 

“Who what Baekhyun?” Luhan spoke through gritted teeth when he managed to deduce that all of what has happened, could’ve been his mother’s doing. He didn’t want to aggravate the other, especially since it could’ve been a teary reconciliation, but if Baekhyun was down here, unscathed, Luhan couldn’t presume that Shixun would be as well. Especially both the researchers were still alive after 15 years since their disappearance for the search of the antidote, only for all of them to realise that neither of them has succeeded.

 

Shixun would possibly be more in danger than in safe hands.

 

“Did your mother do this to us?”

 

Baekhyun turned to him with a raging expression on his face; his lips were tight, and his eyes widened. But he didn’t deny what Luhan said. 

 

“Where’s Shixun.”

 

Kris’ ears perked up, instantly turning back and getting as close as he could to the cell’s bars. 

 

“Did you just say… Shixun?” He searched Luhan’s eyes for any sign of deception, but the other only gave a firm nod in return instead.

 

“Your daughter.”

 

“She’s alive… Still?”

 

Luhan’s head tilted to one side, his brows knitted together because he never expected such a response from a father who’s never kept in touch with his daughter for over a span of 15 years. He thought the latter would be more than elated. But his thoughts took a hold when he saw a tear drop from Kris’ dark eyes, it was as if he already left the thought and hope of ever seeing his daughter again. As if he had the mindset that his daughter would’ve already lost her life.

 

“Yes…” Luhan replied meekly, his hands slowly slid down the bars before he fisted them by his sides. “She went through hell so many times, but she’s still surviving.” 

 

“But I bet she wishes to be dead every time she gets the chance.” Kai muttered, more to himself rather than to anyone else; but Luhan heard him. 

 

Despite that, Luhan didn’t have the time to show pity to someone who wasn’t there, he instantly whipped his head to Baekhyun and raised his brow again. “So, are you going to tell us where she is?”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes darted around aimlessly, shutting his eyes as he ruffled his hair in frustration. 

 

“She’s been taken, by my mother.” He confirmed but was also quick to come to her defence. “But she won’t be harmed, I promise! My mother feeds her iron pills, so even if we take her blood, she won’t—”

 

“What!? Byun Baekhyun what were you thinking, are you stupid!” Kai spat out of the blue, hissing in pain as he coughed out blood. He wiped the corner of his lip and threw a dagger-lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter