Eight

love can't be resolved by money (my love is pure)

 

Friday evening, after school.

 

Irene just arrived at Seulgi's house and knocking a few times. She then waits patiently as a voice coming from inside the house. "Coming!"

 

The door opens and reveals Donghae, wearing a blue black apron. 

Looks like he's cooking today, Irene thought. 

Donghae loves to cook; he would always tries to make special dishes every Friday. Donghae works at a prestigious hotel in Seoul, and his face is always on TV. Irene had came to eat dinner at their house, and the latter loves Donghae's cooking.

 

"Hello Irene! Waiting for Seulgi, aren't you? Seulgi! Irene's here!" Donghae greets, and opening the door wider, gesturing Irene to come inside the house. "Come in, Irene," says Donghae, and Irene shyly gets in and sits on the couch. Irene silently watches the show ongoing in TV and a few minutes later, Irene heards footsteps as a sillhouette is approaching her. Irene then looks at her left, and looking at Seulgi who is standing in front of her. Seulgi's outfit is quite simple that day; blue sleeveless shirt, black knee-length jeans, white baseball cap and a red sneakers. 

"You're ready? Let's go."

 

Seulgi is driving Irene's car. They opened the car roof, and the wind breeze is hitting their face calmly.

Seulgi is grinning, but Irene is frowning and pouting because Seulgi purposely don't want to tell the cheerleader where they are going.

"I can't believe you won't tell me where we're going! What are gonna do? Horseback riding?" asks Irene.

Seulgi grins, as she shakes her head. "Nope."

Irene taps her left forefinger to her chin. "A picnic?"

"Nope. Since it is our last official date, I'm taking you to one of my favourite place."

Irene then glances at the backseat, a mysterious rectangle-shaped black box is placed. "And what's in the box? You won't tell me too?" Irene grunts, making Seulgi pinch her cheeks. "Calm down, Irene. You look like a raging bunny." Irene scoffs, as she fans her face dramatically. 

 

"Well you- you do look like a hibernating bear who always sleeps and so difficult to wake up!" Irene whines, as she folds her arms to her chest. Seulgi snorts, and drumming her fingers on the steering. "Am not."

"Hell yes."

 

 

A few minutes later, Seulgi stops the car at the side of the road. Seulgi turns off the engine, unbuckles her seatbelt as she takes the black box and going out from the car. Irene is totally curious, asking Seulgi what she's doing. "Um....Seulgi?" Irene then looks at her surroundings; there is no cars seen, or pedestrians or a gas station. The closest gas station is one mile from their location.

 

Seulgi walks to the passenger's car door, and opens the door for Irene. "Yeah?" 

Irene bit her lower lip. "Are we run out of gas?"

"No. Follow me."

 

Irene then follows Seulgi on her back as they approaching a 2 meter-high wall and an old barn in front of it. Seulgi then walks to the barn, and climbs the barn successfully. Irene widens her eyes. "Come on, Seulgi. I thought we outlawed this kind of stuff..." 

Seulgi tiptoes and peeks the other side of the wall, grinning. "Just follow me." Irene shakes her head, as she walks to the barn. "You're nuts.. I mean, I don't usually scale walls on dates."

"You can do it." "Of course I can do it."

 

Irene then carefully climbs the barn, thanks to her everyday of exersicing and her high metabolism, she can climbs the walls easily. She then climbs the ladder, and taking Seulgi's hand and Seulgi takes Irene closer to the wall. "Look." Seulgi says, gesturing Irene to look at the other side of the wall. Irene obeys Seulgi as she tiptoes and looks to the.......

 

"Whoa.........." is all Irene could say.

"I know, right?" 

 

On the other side of the wall, there is a deserted place that is 20 hectares wide, and thousands of abandoned, old, broken, rusted and unused airplanes. 

"I've heard about this place. The airplane junkyard...."

"Graveyard." Seulgi says, looking at the planes enthusiastly. Irene looks at Seulgi. She never seen this side of Seulgi.

Seulgi then takes Irene into the plane junkyard, and tells Irene the stories behind these airplanes and the histories. Seulgi looks so cute when telling Irene what she really like; her favourite place. Seulgi tells Irene that she found this place accidently; he once follows her late father who is a pilot, came to this place to look at the planes that is found by the Navy off the coast of Southern China. Since then, Seulgi secretly went here as a kid. After her father passed away, Seulgi goes to this place to frequently.

 

They are looking at an old plane.

"This is the real history. Not the stuffs that we memorized in books." Seulgi explains, as she runs her hand to the plane's body. There are some small holes on the plane's body. "See this? This is real bullet holes." Irene mouths 'whoa' as she runs her finger too at the small holes. They then moved to the next plane, not far from the first plane.

 

There is an old plane, rusted and the left side of the plane's wings is nowhere seen. Seulgi taps the plane's wings softly as she explains. "The Navy found this one few years ago off the coast of Japan." Seulgi stops as she takes off her hat, runs her hands to her hair and wears it back. She cleared , "They did further study on it. After decades at the bottom of the ocean, this is all that rusted. Our grandparents sure know how to make things that last." "How do you know all this stuff?" "Well, the pilot who ditched it in 1964? He came back few weeks ago to take a look at this." Seulgi says, as she walking backwards and looking at the plane. "He stood here and look at this thing the whole day."

 

There's this feeling that Irene can't explain when looking at Seulgi. She feels....... so warm.

"And you're the first person that I brought here. Not even Wendy, or my brother."

And that makes Irene feels.. so special.

 

 

 

"God. There are mountains up there......."

"And valleys, canyons and plains.."

They are sitting inside a no-roof helicopter, and looking at the moon with Seulgi's handmade telescope. Turns out the 'mysterious' thing on the blackbox is a telescope. 

Irene excitedly looks at the moon, peeking from the telescope. "What's that thing, um, that looks like a star sapphire?"

"It's a tycho. An asteriod crashed there and broke the moon."

Irene's jaw dropped. "Broke the moon?"

"Yeah. It made a crack in the moon a hundred times the size of Grand Canyon. On the right is The Sea of Tranquility."

Irene then gives the telescope to Seulgi, and the latter looks at the moon using the telescope. "The first spaceship on Earth landed there the day I was born."

Irene nods. "So that's why you're so into astrology, huh?"

Seulgi giggles. "Astronomy."

"But no. It's just...... up there.. is our future world. By the time I'm in my 40s, who knows? People will be working and living there.

 

Maybe even us." Seulgi says, as she pulls away from the telescope and looking Irene, smiling warmly. 

Irene, looking at the sweet gesture, feeling a warm sensation in her heart and butterflies in her stomach. Her heart beats fast, she even wonder why Seulgi didn't hear her heartbeat.

And by that time, she opens her heart for Seulgi.

 

 

 

 

They are now at Seulgi's residence, laying on their back as they stargazing at Seulgi's front yard.

"The moon. It looks different now. It's not as mysterious or romantic." Irene comments, looking at the full moon that shone brightly at night. "I'm sorry I ruined it for you." Seulgi apologises, bit her lip out of guiltness. "You didn't ruin it. You just, changed it, I guess.." Irene denies Seulgi's apology.

Seulgi then sighs heavily as she sits up, and gesturing Irene to sit too. Seulgi is fidgeting.

"There's something really important we need to discuss." Seulgi says, almost like a whisper. Irene sits upright and facing Seulgi. Knowing where is this going to be, Irene cradles her chin with her palm. "I was wondering when you'd bring this up." With that, Irene is starting to build her walls of hope, hoping that Seulgi will finally asks her out for real. Irene loves Seulgi's presence beside her, and she's starting to embrace all of Seulgi's both perfection and imperfection, altogether. Irene is afraid too; that she's insecure whenever Seulgi is with her cheerleaders friends. Irene is afraid that she can't think straight whenever Seulgi smiles or doing cute or charming antics and gesture when she's around, and Irene falls for Seulgi's kindness. Irene never engraved this kind of hope to anyone; even Bogum.

 

"I'm.... new at this. I'm gonna have to rely on your experience." Seulgi fidgets, looking down. Irene then holds Seulgi's hands and squeeze it lightly. "Well let's just do it naturally. You know? With no planning." Irene is giving her sweetest smile to Seulgi, but it only lasts for a few seconds before Seulgi says it.

 

"How do we do it? Our official breaking-up tomorrow?"

 

Irene feels her walls of hope just breaks and shattered hearing what Seulgi just said. She feels like her head is spinning; she wants to cry but she takes a few deep breaths, trying to sound as normal as she always do. "Right. That's exactly what I was thinking about. The breakup. Us ending our fake relationship. I mean, I don't even know whoever believed it. Like, seriously, Me and you? Never." "Yeah, it does seem kind of unrealistic...." Seulgi says, shrugging her shoulders. Her face then brightens up. "So, how shall we do it? Stage a big dramatic fight? A lovers' quarrel?" 

Irene shakes her head slowly, looking down because not wanting Seulgi to look at her miserable look now. "No, we don't have anything to fight about. Seulgi shakes her head. "No, that's okay. We can make something up! What do people fight about, Irene?" Irene shrugs. "Well, we wouldn't want to damage your 'reputation'." Irene purposedly emphasized the word 'reputation'. Seulgi quirks her eyebrows. "Reputation?" "I think a small, dignified ceremony is probably the best way--" "Me?" "--to end it." Irene ends her words, now looking at Seulgi. Seulgi points at herself excitedly. "Me? With a reputation? Yeah! I can't believe this! Whoo!" Seulgi says, stands up from the ground and clapping her hands like a retarded seal. Irene just rolls her eyes as she watches Seulgi. "Thank you Irene, have a good night." Seulgi says, as she waves her hand and enters her house. Irene stands up slowly, and starting to cry when Seulgi is nowhere to be seen.

She pretends that Seulgi's good night wishes as a sweet gesture to her but now, Irene feels more miserable. 

When she used to look at Seulgi's eye smile and blushing hard but now, she shows it to everyone and not just with Irene.

And it makes Irene more miserable that she's starting to love Seulgi. To have feelings on Seulgi. 

Irene immediately enters her car and drives back home, sprints into her room, ignoring her father and her mother's call before shutting the door and sits on the edge of her queen sized bed. Irene then broke into tears. She's feeling this sharp pain on her chest, and it feels more pain as she cries. 

Make this feeling stop.

Make it stop.

Please. 

I can't take it anymore.

 

 

And all Seulgi thought before bed is the breakup that is going to happen the next day. Not her feeling for Irene when she used to like the latter, nor her friendship conflict with Wendy.

All Seulgi thinks about is her reputation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Hey guys! I'm sorry for making this chapter too angsty lol 

Seulgi is breaking hearts I can't 

Don't hate me for making Seulgi's character like this,,,,, 

I decided to make this and a few chapter an angst but don't worry, in every cloud there's a silver lining!

Tell me what you're feeling for this chapter in the comments!

Thank you for subscribing and upvoting this story!