Chapter 14

서울의 여름 (Summer In Seoul)

 

tumblr_m1bu919qbR1qbacsk.jpg

 

Chapter 14


 

"Are you reading or not?"

So eun woke from her reverie and looked up. Hye Sun is seating in front of her watching her with raised eyebrows.

"Huh?"

Hye Sun closes the book she's reading and folds her hands on the table. "We're in this library an hour ago. But for the last half hour, you're just glaring at the pages continuously. You're holding a pen, but not writing. You are holding a book, but not reading it. So eun, what are you thinking about? "

So eun chuckled and turned the pages of her book. "I got bored and dreamy for a while. "

Hye Sun taps her fingers on the table. "Junho did not call you yet?"

"Um," So eun muttered without looking at her friend. "It's been almost a month since the last time we talked. Anyway for what? The problem between us is already done. I've helped him as he asked. Nothing else can I do. "

"Luckily reporters stopped chasing you," Hye Sun said. "Finally, despite knowing your name, they have never got your photos of you clear. You can not live in this world peacefully if your face is plastered in the media prints. "

By now So eun's cell phone was lying on the table vibrating softly. He grabbed it and it reads the writing that appears on the screen. Ha Neul

"Hello?"

"So eun, do you have time now?" The man's voice sounded lethargic.

So eun hesitated. "What is wrong?"

"Come out for a bit. There's something I want to talk to you about. "

So eun hangs up and looks at Hye Sun.

"Why? Ha Neul wants to see you again? "Hye Sun guesses.

So eun smiled faintly and tidied up her books. "I'll go first?"

 

* * *

 

The sky was almost dark when So eun arrived in front of the cafe Ha Neul mentioned from where he stood, she could see that the man was waiting for him inside. Kang  Ha Neul is sitting leaning there with a glass of water on the table. Every now and then he glanced at his watch and wiped his face with both palms.

So eun still remembers how much she trusted him. She was deeply in love back then.

So eun opened the door to the cafe and there was a clink of the clink. A waiter approached her and So eun immediately told him that her friend had been waiting for you. With a light step, So eun approached Ha Neul the man is sitting with his back to the door, oblivious to So eun's presence.

"Have you waited a long time?" So eun asked, pulling a chair in front of Ha Neul then sat down.

Ha Neul jerks and his smiles expanded. "Oh no. I came not too long ago.."

"Orange juice," So eun told the waiter who asked for the order.

After the waiter left, So eun looked at Ha Neul "So, what's up?"

"How are you?"

So eun smiled. "Alright. As you can see. Yourself?"

Ha Neul takes a sip of water, then pauses. "Finally," he said, "I already broke up with her. "

"Oh? What happened?"

Ha Neul looks into So eun's eyes and responds with a pure tone, "Because I told her I still can not forget about you. "

So eun's eyebrows rose in surprise. "What?"

"That's right," said Ha Neul

Just then the waiter delivered the orange juice So eun ordered. So eun said thank you to the waiter awkwardly, then looks back at Ha Neul. The man is so handsome, and as long as they were together he was always nice to So eun. Of course, until he left her. 

"So eun, can you give me another chance?" He asked. She could see his face was so earnest. So eun could feel him that Ha Neul is being serious right now.

Slowly So eun stirred her orange juice. "I'll be honest with you. When we separated, for some time my feelings are chaotic. I didn't understand why did you left me. I always thought, what have I done ... what or Which I have not done ... until you can make a decision like that. "

Ha Neul moves uneasily in his chair.

"For a while, I often think of you and all the connection with you, " So eun continued. "But then everything changed. Slowly, since when and somehow, there is something else that replaces you in my mind. "

Ha Neul looks at his glass. "You mean?"

So eun did not answer. She only drank her orange juice slowly.

Ha Neul looks up at So eun. "You mean you're not gonna give me a chance to prove that I love you very much? "

So eun took a breath, then said, "I can forget everything, but I don't think I will return to the one who has abandoned me. "

Ha Neul did not say anything. He just stared at So eun with a dreamy look.

 

* * *

 

"Have you seen it?"

Junho didn't answer. He continued to look at the tabloids that had been proffered by his manager. There is an article that mentions the relationship of Junho and his lover when it began to crack as his lover met another man. Another man? So eun's ex-boyfriend?

"Have you contacted So eun?"

Junho hears the question but didn't answer. He cannot answer. He was thinking.

"Junho." It seems like Goong Min is starting to lose his temper. Junho lifts up his face and put the tabloid on his manager's desk.

"No, I have not contacted her yet," he replied calmly.

"Why can you be so calm? Do you have a plan? "Goong Min insisted.

Junho shakes his head and smiles. "Not really. What do you want me to do, Hyung? Didn't I tell you that So eun is done helping us? She is not my secret lover anymore, both inside and outside of the photo. "

Goong Min obviously looks confused to hear it. "So you mean, you will let this problem go over the social media and press? How will you deal with reporters if they ask you?"

"I can deal with it. You can calm down. "

"I'm surprised you have not contacted So eun in the past months," said Goong Min after a moment's silence. "You really don't want to see her again? "

Junho just smiles.

Goong Min frowns. "Normally I'm never wrong about things like this. "

"What kind of things?"

"I thought you like her. Am I wrong?"

"No."

"Then?"

"I got rejected."

"Ah, right? Then you just give up? "

"No."

"I don't understand. Now you're not contacting her at all. What you mean by not giving up? "

Junho's smile widened. He winked at his manager but did not say anything.

 

* * *

 

"So eun! So eun! "

So eun was sitting daydreaming on the bench in the campus garden when she heard her name was being called. She turns around and sees Hye Sun running in her direction. Running. She never saw her friend running like that before.

"Gosh, I'm so tired," Hye Sun said breathlessly as she arrived next to So eun.

"Here, sit down," So eun said as she shifted to give a space for her friend.

Without saying anything, Hye Sun s out the tabloid she is holding to So eun. So eun's attention was fixed on the article before her.

"What's this?" She asked with a frown.

Hye Sun is still busy catching her breath so that she cannot answer. So eun read the article silently. When finished, she folded back the newspaper and inhale.

"How?" Hye Sun asked.

So eun shrugged. "I don't know how they can write the news like this."

Hye Sun waves her hands impatiently. "It's not about that. I mean, what do you think Junho told the reporters? Are you really not helping him anymore?"

So eun stood there, then tilted her head. "I don't know," she said.

"You don't want to ask him?"

So eun turned to her friend in surprise. "What do you want me to ask?"

Hye Sun grunts with annoyance. "God, you ..."

How can I ask Junho? It's been a month since we haven't seen or talked to each other. 

Hye Sun looks at her friend sitting next to her with annoyance. She cannot believe So eun would not do anything about the article she just showed.

According to her, So eun can at least call Junho and ask or explain to her the real situation. The stupid boy just sat down daydreaming. Though people still don't recognize the moderate So eun sitting daydreaming like this fool as So eun's ex-boyfriend Ha Neul, Hye Sun feels this friend should keep his good name.

\Why child

It does not mind touted as a cheater?

Hye Sun flickers her hair back with annoyance. Could it be that Junho was the one who told all the stories to the reporters just so he can save his own reputation? Yes, it is possible.

"Hey, So eun. What if Junho did all of this? " She urged again.

So eun's eyebrows rose. "Do you think so?"

Hye Sun shrugs. "It's possible, isn't it? So why don't you ask him directly? "

Before So eun could answer, her phone started ringing. Hye Sun sees her friend hastily pulled the phone out of the bag and picked it up.

Is it Junho?

"Hello?" So eun's expression changed slightly.

It's not Junho.

"Yes, Mister Lee  ... Yes? Now? ... Yes, I understand."

So eun hangs up and smiles at Hye Sun. "Hye Sun, I must go now, Mister Lee asked me to meet him. "

"Your boss is a vacuum dracula," Hye Sun said. "You always say you wanna stop working for him, but you never once start writing a letter of resignation. "

"At least my college schedule never bothered him," So eun defended her superior. "I'll go first?"

Hye Sun looks at her friend who walks away, then looks at the tabloids which she was holding.

This should be straightened out before Junho's fans rampage. So eun doesn't know how wild the fans of Junho if it's been fished. They are willing to do an evil thing. Hopefully, the problem will quickly be finished.

 

*  *  *

 

"Miss Kim, thank you for coming. Oh, thank you, " Mister Lee welcoming So eun feverishly in his usual studio; messy. Today Mister Lee''s hair is dyed with yellow and his body is wrapped in a jacket that is long skin that looks very thick. So eun wonders if Mister Lee is not feeling hot.

Mister Lee wiggled his fingers in the direction of some clothes wrapped in clear plastic lying on a round table in the corner of the room. "Please take that to Junho, huh? "

So eun blinked. "Who?"

"As you can see, Miss Kim, I'm very busy and nobody can help me ... "

What did he just said?

"... Just drop it to his house. You've got his home address, don't you? ... "

To his house? Junho's house?

"... Do not say you've got rid that address, Miss Kim. I myself don't know where I kept the address ... "

What should I say if we see?

"... Let's say that clothing model can make it a trendsetter among young people..."

Did Mister Lee read my mind?

"... Well, my ideas are rebelling to get out of my brain. I'm feeling very creative ... "

No, he did not read my mind.

"... So call now, Miss Kim, and leave me alone with my ideas. My ideas. "

"Meet Junho?" So eun asked a little confused over too many things which fly through her mind.

"No, her father," Mister Kim said sarcastically from behind his desk, then continued without waiting for a response, "Of course Junho. Isn't the clothes for him? Come on, Miss Kim, move your legs. "

"Oh, yes." So eun hurried over to the round table and lifted the clothes her superior showed.

When she holds the doorknob to open it, Mister Lee calls out. So eun turned to wait for the next command.

Mister Lee is holding a tabloid, the same newspaper that Hye Sun showed her earlier.

"Just so you know, Miss Kim. I can not believe any of this, " said Mister Lee suddenly pointed to the article that discussed So eun. "So quickly go."

So eun was shocked. Does Mister Lee know about her and Junho? No, maybe not.

Not knowing what to do, So eun just forced a little smile, then hurry out of the room. So eun doesn't understand why she is reluctant to see Junho. Maybe because of Junho's words when they saw each other last time. It might also because they haven't spoken for so long, so if they have to start talking again, it seems kinda weird on what to say

So eun sighed softly as she walked down the path to Junho's house.

"Um? The car ... like Junho's car, " So eun muttered to herself when she saw the red car parked on the street, not too far ahead of her. She squinted at the car.

As each step progressed, it became clear there were three people standing close by that car. A man and two women. The man is wearing a hat and sunglasses. From afar So eun was able to recognize the man was Junho.

So eun saw him talking to two women instead of ... a more precisely two girls who looks like a high school student. The two girls talked full spirit while Junho listens while smiling occasionally.

"How, Oppa?"

So eun heard one of the girls ask hopefully. Junho smiles and just answers when his eyes catch the figure of So eun. "Oh."

So eun stopped her steps not far from the three people. She doesn't know what to do. Say hi to Junho? Yes, of course. At least that must be done first. But before she could open , Junho was in a hurry approaching her with a bright face.

"Oh, you came?" Junho asked as he stood beside her.

So eun blinks and stares at Junho then turn her gaze to the two girls. They were still wearing school uniforms. Looks like they just coming to the homeschool. Both have long hair. Both of them looks at So eun with curiosity.

"They're Lee Mi-Ra and Chon Jin-Ae," Junho introduces them. So eun the names don't mean anything. She was sure she was coming must have forgotten, but she nodded.

The two girls smiled at her. According to So eun their smile is a bit scary.

"How are you, Onni?" They both greeted together.

"We're Junho Oppa fans," said one of the girls, her hair is a bit blonde. So eun had forgotten what her name was.

Oh ... it turned out to be a fan.

"Onni this is Junho Oppa's boyfriend, huh?" Asked the other who had her hair kinda curly.

So eun looked at Junho who was silent, then looked back at the two girls in front of her.

"What?" She asked in the end.

The girl with curly hair stared at So eun from head to toe, then said quietly, "Onni is very different from the one in the photo."

So eun just realized that all this time, though everyone knows So eun is Junho's boyfriend, they never see So eun's face clearly.

"We read in the tabloids you two have separated because Onni likes another man, " the blonde girl interjected quickly.

So eun's eyebrows rose.

"So don't immediately believe in what you read in the tabloids," Junho interjects. "You see, we're still fine."

The two girls looked at each other, then they looked at So eun. Now their eyes switch to Junho.

Junho displays his most charming smile and says, "All right, now you guys go home before your parents get worried. Be careful on the street."

So eun is a little surprised when Junho grabs the clothes that she's carrying.

"Here, let me put your luggage in the car," Junho said.

So eun lets Junho guide her to the car. Junho opens the car door to So eun, then immediately walked around to the driver's side.

Before getting into the car, Junho had waved to the girls and said, "See you. Don't wander around again. Go home, understand? "

"Yes," the girls replied in unison.

So eun also smiled at them, then got into the car.

So what else can I do?

As the car starts, Junho breathes a sigh of relief. "Lucky you came," he said, turning to So eun. "I have run out of reasons. They insisted on going to my house. This time they arrived and intercept me in the middle of the road. "

Junho's attitude looks unremarkable. He speaks as if the time nearly a month without any contact was never among them. Evidently, the concerns that had dominated So eun had been unfounded. Junho still likes it used to be.

So eun watches Junho holding the steering wheel and staring straight at the road. Junho has taken off his sunglasses, but he's still wearing his hat. So eun wonders, where exactly Junho just got home from. He's wearing a long-sleeved white shirt that was rolled up to his elbows and a rather loose pair of jeans. A photo shoot?

So eun's eyes got back to Junho's face. It seemed a long time ago she had not seen that man. Now that Junho is by her side, she can see him, heard his voice. For some reason, So eun suddenly felt relieved. Relief until her chest felt tight and her eyes felt hot.

"Why you so quiet?" Junho asked suddenly.

So eun gasps and realizes Junho is staring at her in surprise.

"I'm okay," she said, turning, looking straight ahead. "Why you did not invite them to your house? Let them be satisfied. You don't really pay attention to your fans? "

"Seriously. If I let them in, what would they do next time they come in droves to my house and want to come in again? "Junho said as he did laugh.

So eun smiled, but then she remembered something. This thought made her frowned. "It seemed like one of the girls was holding a phone, right before I get in your car. The blond girl. "

"So what? What's weird? "Junho does not understand.

So eun cocked her head. "Nothing..  Maybe ... maybe it's just me. "

A few moments later Junho stops the car in front of his house. So eun leaned forward and looked at the house through the glass front of the car. She had not seen this house for a long time and suddenly she felt homesick. Very weird.

"Come on," Junho said as he removed his seat belt.

"Um?"

Junho looks at her. "Are not you here to see me?"

So eun realized. "Oh, yes. Right." She immediately unbuckled the seat belt and went out from the car.

Junho has pulled out the clothes from the backseat of the car. So eun follows Junho into the house. The house is the same as the last time she left. Of course, she thought to herself. 

"Come on, come on," Junho said as he put down the clothes from Mister Lee at the living room table. "Why so timid? You've been here before."

So eun snorted, pulled off her shoes, and wore home sandals that are available. Then, she approached the man.

"Well, why did you come here?" Junho asked. He walked to the kitchen. "Want something to drink? "

"That." So eun pointed at the clothes on the living room table. "Mister Lee asked me to bring it to you. "

Junho just looked at the pile of clothes at a glance then opened the refrigerator. "Oh, why bother? Didn't I tell him I was going to the boutique tomorrow? "

Oh, yes? Then why did Mister Lee told me to come here? So eun wondered.

Actually, since the first time told to bring clothes to Junho, She was astonished. Why did Mister Lee tell her to bring Junho's clothes? Usually, that is not So eun's job. So eun's previous job was sort of personal assistant to Mister Lee, not a courier.

"What do you want to drink?"

"I'm good, thank you."

"Yes, just drink the juice. Here."

So eun receives a bottle of apple juice offered by Junho.

"So that's it?" Junho asks again.

"Hmm?"

"Are you here just for that?"

"Oh," So eun muttered, then asked, "How are you? How you've been?"

Junho sips water and nods. "I'm okay."

"Busy?" So eun asked cautiously.

Junho thinks for a moment. "Not really," he replied.

So eun took a breath and nodded. Not busy. Not busy he said.

"Why?" Junho bows his head slightly to see So eun's face.

"Hmmm?" Then in reply So eun just smiled and shook her head.

Junho smiles. "Longing for me?"

So eun's eyes widened. What's he saying?

Junho's smile widened. "You missed me, right? I was right?"

So eun snorted softly and chuckled. "No."

Junho puts on a disappointed face. "No?"

"No," So eun said again.

"Well, that means my efforts are in vain," Junho said as he walked towards the piano.

"What do you mean?" So eun asked.

Junho sits facing his piano. "It's okay. Forget it."

So eun walked over to him. "Haven't heard you play the piano for a long time," So eun said while standing chin resting on Junho's piano. "Play one song."

Junho thinks for a moment. "I'll play on one condition."

So eun raised her chin, challenging him. "What condition?"

"If one day you miss me, will you tell me?" Junho asked.

So eun frowned because it felt funny. "What?"

"Agreed or not?" Junho asked as he positioned his ten fingers over the piano keys. He looked at So eun straight ahead, waiting for an answer.

"Why should I tell you?" So eun asked again.

"So I can run right away to see you," Junho replied lightly.

So eun was stunned. She felt her heart beating twice as fast.  Finally, So eun cleared and said, "Okay, I'll tell you if one day I miss you. But you do not have to run to me, later on you will get tired."

Junho laughs. Suddenly he exclaimed softly, "Ah, there's one more thing before I play! "

"What?"

He looked at So eun. "The article," he said hesitantly. "The article about your 'affair'  is ... not me who told them. "

"Oh ..."

"I just want you to know," Junho said again. "You don't have to worry about the problem again. Leave it to me. "

In her heart, So eun already knows that Junho was not the one who spread the gossip. So without a doubt, she immediately nodded.

"But are you ... I mean, are you going out? with someone?"

"You said it yourself that those such gossips cannot be trusted. Why are you asking me then?" So eun asked irritably.

"I don't believe it. That's why I asked you directly, "Junho said as he defends himself. "I want to know the answer from you. Directly from you."

So eun winced. "No, everything written in that article is not true."

Junho nods. "Okay, I trust you. Ah, one more thing. "

So eun sighed. "What else? You really want to play or not? "

"If one day I miss you, can I tell you?"

The question made So eun's heart pound again.

"You..." So eun said, trying to keep her voice from sounding nervous. "Do whatever you..."

"I miss you."

This time So eun felt her heart stop pounding. She could only stare at the man, And Junho is smiling. She cannot say anything, can't stop thinking about anything.

"All right," Junho finally said. "Now what song should I play? "

 

A/N: Hey guys! I am finally close to finishing this one. I'm going to start the next story that I wanna work on. If I'm gonna be honest I don't have that much time because I work full time and on my free time I just wanna relax and I've been watching too many Netflix shows, hehe. But as for the next story, I would like to know who or which characters I should use. In my mind, it's gonna be Tiffany from SNSD and Siwon from Super Junior. I'm not really into them tbh but give me some idea ^^ The next story is gonna be more dramatic than this one ;) Thank you for all the supports! ^^