Chapter 12

서울의 여름 (Summer In Seoul)

 

Image result for fireworks

 

Chapter 12


 

Junho's work schedule is pretty dense today, but he's always visible from calls whenever there is free time. Without even asking, Goong Min knows who is contacting him.  "Junho, do you want to keep calling till when? You must appear briefly again, "Goong Min scolded while patting his friend's back.

Junho is sitting in a swivel chair with his legs outstretched and jerking Closing the phone. "Oh, Hyung."

"What is wrong? Why is your face so wrinkled? "

"Not at home." Junho seems to be talking to himself. Goong Min pretends not to know who Junho is referring to. "Who?"

Junho sighs. "Forget it, nothing. "

"You better get ready," he reminds Junho once more.

This time Junho turns to him and asks, "Hyung, after this, I don't have any other schedule, right? "

 

* * *

 

So eun had just entered the house when she heard the house phone ringing. She closes the door and put the key on the desk.

Should I answer the phone or not?

Anyway, this is Junho's house and she cannot carelessly reply to the phone. Finally, she let the answering machine receive.

"If you're home, pick up the phone." So eun is surprised to hear Junho's voice on the machine. She quickly raised telephone. "Hello?"

"Finally you answered. I've been trying to reach you since... " Junho's voice sounds a bit annoyed.

So eun glanced at her watch. "Oh, I did not realize it was afternoon. What's up? Is there anything I should do? "

"Not really."

"So what?"

"Just wondering how you're doing."

So eun smiled to herself. "I am fine. Where are you now? "

"On the road. I'll be back in a minute. "

"Mmm, do you want me to cook dinner?" So eun asked, "I can not cook, but I can make a bibimbap or ..."

She hears Junho laughing on the other end. "I have not been that brave to try to cook for other people who claim they can not cook. "

"I just want to thank you," So eun protested.

"Never mind. Today we eat out only. It's my treat. "

"Eating out? What are you thinking? You want people to see us? "

"Why not? Was not yesterday journalists already know who you are?"

So eun thought. Was it really just yesterday? Why it seems like it already happened a long time ago?

"Your face will be on the tabloid soon. What more can it be hidden? The whole people in Korea will know you are my girlfriend. Am I not allowed to have dinner with my own sweetheart? "

So eun felt as if her heart had stopped pounding and her breathing was stifled. 

"Hello? So eun, are you still there? "

So eun gasped. "Yes ... yes."

"Yes, I'm close to the house now."

Slowly So eun hung up the phone. What's wrong with her? ...

So eun tapped her cheek with both hands. "So eun, come on," she said to herself. "There are a lot of important things I should think about."

 

* * *

 

"Junho ssi, are you serious about eating here?" So eun knew her voice was heard worried.

So eun and Junho are in the elevator that takes them to the top floor of the hotel building. After knowing Junho will invite her to dinner in a fancy hotel restaurant, she could not suppress anxiety in her heart.

"What's wrong?" Junho asked without looking at So eun.

So eun spread her arms. "Look at my clothes. I can not get into that restaurant. I might get kicked out. "He was wearing only a short-sleeved shirt and pants

Long jeans belong to Hye Sun. 

"Who dares to throw you out?" Junho said. "Nothing is wrong with your clothes. Come in."

The elevator door opens and without waiting for So eun's comment further, Junho walked away while pulling the girl's hand. They enter the restaurant and immediately greeted one of the waiters who immediately drove them to the table for both by the large glass windows. The restaurant was pretty quiet, the lights were dim which makes the atmosphere dim.

In addition to the seemingly conversational noise, it can be heard the soft strains of jazz music. Not many guests look not surprise. Surely only people from the upper classes can eat in a place like this.

"That's great," So eun mumbled with pleasure as she looked out the window.

The night view of Seoul city from the height is amazing. "We're on which floor again?"

"Ah, I forgot," Junho said suddenly.

So eun turned to him with a questioning look.

"You wait here for a while. I have to take something, "Junho said while getting up from the chair.

"Okay. Be back quick, "So eun said. Then she again admired the flickering lights of Seoul city down there.

A few minutes passed and Junho has not returned. So eun sighed and looked around the room. Finally, she got up and walked to the toilet. When So eun came out of the toilet and was walking back to her table, she heard someone called her name. So eun turned to follow the source of the sound and look at a slim and tall beautiful lady waving at her with all the widely smiles.

So eun felt anxious when she saw the lady. Her feelings also gained weight as she takes steps approaching her.

"Well, Kim So eun. How are you? I did not expect to see you here, " the woman greeted pleasantly, but to So eun's ears it sounds contrived, just like her smile.

So eun just smiled faintly. "How are you, son-bae? Long time no sees."

Ji Won brushed her long hair and said, "Ha Neul ssi will be here soon. Are you alone? " But without waiting for So eun's answer, Ji Won started talking again. "Since I happen to see you, there's something I want to talk about."

So eun said nothing, stood still and waited for her next words. Ji Won looks at So eun deeply. "I've heard about your apartment from Ha Neul ssi. I'm glad you're okay. But I'm kinda worried about Ha Neul ssi. "

So eun's eyebrows startled.

What is she talking about?

"I do not like to go around, so I'll just talk. I see Ha Neul ssi shares anxiety because of what happened to you. He should not have need to bother like that because you're fine, right? However, your relationship is over way longer. Your problem is no longer his problem. "

So eun smiled bitterly. "Son-bae-"

"Oh, So eun."

So eun turns around and sees Ha Neul approaching them. She sighed and thinks why these two people come to this place at the same time as her.

"You're okay, right?" Ha Neul asked as he looked at So eun from the head to toe. So eun felt the observed, let alone Ji Won also was staring at her sharply.

"You see, she's okay," interrupted by Ji Won as she slipped her arms into Ha Neul's arm. "Right, So eun?"

So eun winced. "Yes, as you can see."

"Where do you live now?" Ha Neul asks again and So eun looks at Ji Won's face that immediately changes.

"At a friend's house," So eun said shortly.

"Oh yes, are you alone? How about you join us?" Asked Ha Neul changing the subject.

God. Did these two really think I'm so heartbroken to eat by myself at a fancy restaurant?

Ji Won grabs Ha Neul's arm and quickly interjects, "So eun said she's waiting for her friend. It'll be too bad for her friend to join us since we don't know him/her. "

So eun was eager to laugh out loud at the attitude of Ji Won's class-like sister or a five-year-old who would not let go of her favorite teddy bear. When did she ever tell Ji Won she was waiting for someone? But she wondered she was right. She's waiting for Junho.

"Sorry, have you waited a long time?"

So eun and the two men standing in front of her all turned to look at each other to the sound source. Junho approaches So eun with a big smile and with both hands behind his back. So eun hears Ji Won's breath. There's a little satisfaction in So eun's heart when she sees Junho appear, much less supported the fact that it is the famous artist Junho.

"Have you waited a long time?" Junho once again staring straight at So eun's direction, ignoring the two people who are nearby.

"Oh no. Not too long, " So eun said a little dazed.

"I went to buy this," Junho said.

So eun was astonished to see the huge bunch of red roses that Junho handed to her. After, So eun receives the flowers offered by Junho, the man is as if just realized the presence of two other people who gawked at them. "Oh, forgive me. I did not see you. How are you? Your friends with So eun, ah, I mean So eun? "

So eun sees Ji Won's eyes flashing, her eyes fixed on Junho. "You're Junho ssi, aren't you?" She asked eagerly.

"Right," Junho said pleasantly. "And today I plan on having a romantic evening. " He raised a hand and put his arm around So eun's shoulder.

So eun looks at Junho with a startled look, then her eyes look at the two people in front of her who were staring at her bewildered.

"Looks like you both also want to enjoy a romantic dinner," Junho continues in a friendly tone. "We will not interfere with your event much longer. Nice to meet you both. "

Finished saying that, by still embracing So eun's shoulder, Junho leading her back to their table.

"Thank you for the roses," So eun said as they sat back down. She looked at Junho's flowers with joy.

"You like it?"

"Mmm, love it." So eun looks at Junho with a smile. "Do you often give flowers to women? "

The man just grimaced. "Do you think so?"

"By the way, what day is it today?"

"Why?"

"We are eating at a fancy restaurant. Then this rose. " So eun looks at Junho while trying to remember. "Today is your birthday?"

Junho laughs. "If today is my birthday, why would I give you flowers? Should not I be the one receiving the reward? "

So eun thought again. "Did you sign a new contract or something?"

"Not really."

"So what?"

Junho smiles broadly. "You'll find out for yourself."

So eun cocked her head, then shrugged.

"The man.. was he your ex-boyfriend?" Junho asked cautiously.

So eun sighed. "Mmm, and the woman with him is my sunbae, his girlfriend. "

Junho looks at her. "You want us to go somewhere else?"

So eun laughed. "What for?"

Junho still looks less convinced.

"It's okay," So eun said soothingly. "Aren't you here to eat with me?"

Junho smiles. "Right, I'm here. Well, now you want to eat what?"

 

* * *

 

Ha Neul does not enjoy his dinner. He kept glancing at the table of So eun and Junho. He wished the girl looked at her, but in fact So eun did not glance at him at all. The girl chatted and laughed happily with Junho. Of course, Ha Neul has already read about Junho's relationship with So eun, but then he still did not want to believe it.

Today Ha Neul really sees them both with his eyes himself and it was as it was written in the tabloids. He must admit not wanting to see the two of them together.

"Ha Neul ssi, I'm talking to you."

Ha Neul gasps and stares at the woman sitting in front of him. Ji Won indeed is a beautiful and charming woman. That woman is the reason for leaving So eun in the first place. But now there seems to be a bit of regret in his heart.

"I had no idea So eun had such a famous friend, Junho. How can that be? "Ji Won said with a frown. "I did read in a magazine about Junho's relationship with a woman named Kim So eun, but I did not expect the news to be true. "

Ha Neul just murmured unclearly to respond to her words.

"Well, you don't have to worry about her now that she has a famous boyfriend, "Ji Won goes on without looking at Ha Neul.

Ha Neul mutters once more and glances at So eun. The girl laughed while covering with one hand, while Junho looked at her while chuckling.

What are they laughing at?

What are they talking about?

When was the last time I saw So eun laughing like that?

He had forgotten. Suddenly he felt he was longing for the girl's laughter.

"Ha Neul ssi!"

Ha Neul gasps once again to hear his name called in high notes.

Ji Won is staring at him irritably. "You're not listening to anything I just said, right? "

"Of course I'm listening," Ha Neul tries to argue.

"How can you hear me if you keep looking at that woman?!"

"I did not notice."

Ji Won raises her hands. "It is enough. Right now I want to go out of here. We go elsewhere. "

Ha Neul frowns. "Ji Won, you yourself say you want to eat tonight here. Why do you want to go now? "

Ji Won folds her hands in front of her chest and grunts irritably. "I changed my mind. I want to go somewhere else. Let's go."

Without waiting anymore, Ji Won grabs her handbag and gets up from the chair.

Ha Neul tries to restrain her but to no avail. He sighed and looked over at So eun once again. Of course, the girl was not looking back at him. Ha Neul inhales as he paid for the food, and following Ji Won.

So eun realizes the departure of Ji Won and Ha Neul from the restaurant. Junho as well.

"They're gone," Junho said as he looked toward the restaurant's door.

So eun just cleared and stared at her almost empty plate. She is upset. Why do her feelings are still uncomfortable when she sees Ha Neul and Ji Won together? Why she still can not forget the eight-month problem? No way she still expected Ha Neul, right?

"Again the expression."

So eun looks up and looks at Junho. The man is watching her face. "What?" So eun asked.

Junho leans back into the chair and smiles a little. "Every time you or I mention the name of your ex-boyfriend and every time you receive a call from him, your facial expression is like that. A depressed expression, as if you were must solve all the problems that exist in the world. "

So eun looked down. "Sorry."

Junho looks out the window. "Well, what can we do so you do not put that face anymore? Mmm ... Ah, I know! "

So eun looked at Junho curiously.

Junho turns back at her with a big smile. "Wait a moment. "

So eun gets confused as Junho gets up from the chair and walks out of the restaurant.

What is he gonna do?

Not long afterward Junho returns and says to So eun, "After we eat, I'll take you somewhere. "

When they've finished their dinner, Junho Took So eun down to the hotel's ground floor.

"Junho ssi, where are we going?" So eun asked as they crossed the main lobby of the hotel.

"You'll know," Junho answered shortly.

It turns out Junho took her to the park behind the hotel. The park was spacious with a large swimming pool in the middle. Garden lights so that even though it was late, the garden did not look dark. The lights inside the pool were also lit so they could see the pool grounds are clear.

"Ah, it's fun to be out in the open air," Junho said as he did sit in one of the wooden chairs by the pool.

So eun looked left and right in confusion.

Why would he bring me here?

No one else was in the park. Although it is very quiet, So eun enjoy the silence.

"Junho, why are we here?" She asked as she sat on a chair in beside the man.

"If I'm not mistaken, some things that can make you happy is listening to music, eating potato chips, flowers, fireworks, rain, and stars. Am I right?"

So eun is a bit surprised at Junho's words.Even herself cannot remember when she told Junho about it.

Junho continues, "Now I do not have potato chips, I don't know what music you like. Flower, you've held it. "

So eun stared at the rose she was holding. She still does not understand what Junho is trying to say.

Junho looks up at the dark sky and says, "No stars tonight and it's a shame I can not call rain. " He looked over So eun's direction. "Then there's only one thing to do."

So eun's eyebrows rise as Junho pulls the phone out of his pocket his pants.

"Hello? Yes, you can start now, " he told someone over the phone.

After that, he hungs up and smiled at So eun. He raised his right hand and pointed to the sky. "Look over there."

So eun looked into the dark sky with a frown. She doesn't understand what Junho is thinking. She was about to open her lips to ask again when she heard the whirring and then the explosion. At that moment her eyes see the colorful lights in the sky. The noise and the explosion sounded again, connected. The night sky seemed more vibrant with beautiful colorful lights.

Fireworks! Lots of fireworks!

Unknowingly So eun stood up from her chair. One hand was raised to . Her eyes were fixed on the beam of light that glided into the sky and exploded into the sparks. It was the first time she'd seen that much fireworks directly and so amazed that her chest felt tight.

"How?" So eun turns around and sees Junho standing beside her. She came back stared at the sky. "It's the first time I've seen real fireworks, and it's not from television. "

"Are you feeling well?"

So eun turns back to Junho. She did not think it was Junho who did it, the man who was trying to comfort her. So eun smiled and said, "Much more good. You know you do not have to do all of this. But, anyway, thank you."

Junho smiles back. "I know you've been feeling depressed lately. You already help me. So if I can help to lighten your load a bit, why not? I just want to see you as happy as now, that's all. "

 

* * * 

 

"Haah ... tonight is beautiful," So eun said when she and Junho arrived at home. So eun kisses the rose in her arms and smiles by herself.

Meanwhile, Junho is already walking towards the kitchen, opening the fridge, pulled out a bottle of cold water, and drank it straight from the bottle.

"Do you have a vase?" So eun asked.

"I don't know, but I think it was in that cupboard." He pointed to the cupboard then walk to the piano.

So eun flipped through the cabinets, humming softly. "Here it is." She takes out the blue flower vase, fills it with water, and insert the roses into the vase. She hears Junho playing some tunes on the piano.

So eun turns to Junho. "Junho ssi, sing one song," She pleaded. Then she approached the man with the vase of flowers.

"Did not I ever say you have to pay if you listen to me sing?"

So eun puts the vase on the piano and grimaces. "Didn't you say you want to make me happy? "

Junho's eyebrows rise. "Did I say that?"

So eun nodded. "You also said you would give me anything I want if I'm willing to take a picture with you. You forgot?"

"Did I ever said that?" Junho looks up and tries to remember everything he told her.

So eun nods and leans on the piano, waiting for Junho to start the song.

Junho sighs. "All right, what do you want to hear?"

So eun thought for a moment, then said, "The song is Jo Sung-Mo. Piano. I really like that song. It is very romantic. "

Junho scratches his head. "Piano? Why do you ask for a song that is sad? No other song more fun? "

"But the song is good. Don't you like it? Well then, it's up to you to sing what song, "So eun said quickly.

Junho thinks for a moment, then puts his fingers on the piano keys and started playing it while singing in English.

 

I see trees of green, red roses too

I see them bloom for me and you

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

 

So eun applauded happily as she recognized "What A Wonderful World"  is being sung by Junho.

 

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of people going by

I see friends shaking hands saying, "How do you do?"

They "re really saying," I love you "

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They "ll learn much more than I" ll ever know

And I think to myself, "What a wonderful world"

And I think to myself, "What a wonderful world"

 

Although So eun's English is not very fluent, she can understand if others people speak in that language. The song sung by Junho makes herself as if flying into the sky, so peaceful, light, even though she is back on earth after the song ends.

"Very good, very good," So eun said, clapping her hands. "It's not in vain you stay long in America. Your English is very good. "

Junho just chuckles. "Satisfied yet?"

"Mmm, satisfied and happy," So eun said.

Junho reaches into his pocket in his jacket and pulls out a green squared shaped box decorated with yellow ribbon. He placed the box on the piano and pushes it towards So eun.

So eun raised her eyebrows as soon as she saw the box. "What is this?"

"Open it."

So eun opened the box and was astonished to see that there was a cellphone inside which is exactly the same as her old phone that was lost in the fire.

"Happy Birthday."

So eun looks up and looks at Junho confused and shocked. Without waiting for So eun's words, Junho continues, "It's so hard to contact you if you do not have a phone. Actually, I want to buy a different phone so you will not be confused to take my phone again, but I changed my mind. How is it? I've also asked for the same number, so the phone has the same phone number as your old one. You can actually use it now. "

"Ooh ... Thank you." So eun is still a bit confused. She scanned the phone Junho gave her, then said again, "But birthday? Junho ssi, my birthday is tomorrow, not today. "

Junho smiles broadly and points towards the clock behind So eun. So eun turned and looked at the clock.

"It's past midnight. So today is your birthday, "Junho said.

"Are not you even aware? It means that the surprise I have prepared can be is for today? "

So eun stood there, then laughed. "Gosh, so we had dinner last night, flowers, fireworks, and this phone, you did everything to celebrate my birthday? "

Junho nods. "Don't forget, I just sing a song for you. It should also be counted. "

"How did you know my birthday?"

Junho just smiles and does not answer.

So eun is still confused. "But why should it be celebrated the night before? We can celebrate it tomorrow, I mean today, uh, tomorrow. Ah, anyway celebrate it on the day. "

"Actually this morning I have to go to Japan, so I can not go to celebrate your birthday, "Junho explained.

"To Japan?" So eun asked. "What for?"

"Work," Junho replied. "Do you think I'm on vacation?"

"How long will you be there?"

Junho shrugs. "I don't know, but maybe about three days."

So eun mused.

"Oh yes, how is this? No birthday cake, "Junho said suddenly.

"No cookies," So eun interrupted. "You've done a lot tonight. for me, that's more than enough and I'm very happy. "

"Fixed too?"

"Totally too. I've never celebrated my birthday in the middle of the night. " So eun laughed.

Junho gets up from the piano chair and says, "Okay, it's late you-"

"Wait a minute." So eun held her back. "Sing one more song huh?"

"Again?"

"Come on, it's all right again," she said as she sat next to Junho. "I like watching you play the piano. "

Junho gives up and sits back. "All right, what song?"

"Up to you."

Junho looks at the piano keys while thinking, then he lifts up his face and turned to look at So eun. "It's one of my favorite songs. The title is Fly Me To the Moon. "

Then So eun watched Junho's long fingers dancing overhead the piano keys while the soft piano sounds and the sound of Junho's voice which beautifully adorn the silence of the night.

Poets often use many words to say a simple thing

It takes thought and time and rhyme to make a poem sing

With music and words, I've been playing

For you, I have written a song

To be sure that you know what I‟m saying

I‟ll translate as I go along

While singing, Junho occasionally looks at her and they both smile. So eun never felt so ... so ... special. Yes, special. Dinner, roses, fireworks, a gift Junho gave her, And now she is sitting next to Junho while listening to the man singing specifically for her. She was happy. Either from when she realized Her heart is pounding twice as fast as each time she meets the view with Junho or when the man smiles at her.

Either from when she started loving to hear Junho sings. Her eyes now cannot be separated from the figure of Junho who sings while playing the piano.

 

Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars

Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand

In other words, darling, kiss me

Fill my heart with song and let me sing forever more

You are all I long for, all I worship and adore

In other words, please be true

In other words, I love you

(Hiro, album: Coco d‟Or)