Chapter 13

서울의 여름 (Summer In Seoul)

 

Related image

 

Chapter 13


 

Before leaving for school, So eun decides to call her parents. Although not sure whether her parents already knew about the fire or not, she still thinks they should be told about what happened. Who knows they already have got words and could not contact her because even herself, just activated the phone Junho gave her this morning. Her parents would worry a lot.

A few moments ago Aunt Chon had come to clean up the house before leaving for the airport this morning, Junho tells So eun, the aunt used to come to his house three times a week. Junho also added that Aunt Chon had been working for his family for a long time and that she can be trusted one hundred percent, so So eun can be calmer.

After introducing herself to Aunt Chon, So eun takes the telephone and went into the room to call her parents. Like her first guess, it turns out her parents did not know about the fire and now So eun instead must strive to calm them.

First, she talked to her mother, so she spoke in Indonesian.

"Yes, I'm alright, Ma. Nobody got hurt. The fire spread out quickly throughout my apartment and I didn't have time to take things ... What? ... Oh, as far as I know, nobody died. Everything is safe ... But the fire extinguisher is somewhat too late, so my apartment is all scorched. "

Suddenly So eun heard her father's voice on the other end and she changed her voice in Korean. "Dad you don't have to worry about that. I am alright. Really. No one got hurt... Mama? " 

Looks like her mother is trying to grab the phone from her father's hand. So eun was smiling to hear her impatient mother. Finally, her mother came back mastered the phone so So eun spoke again in Bahasa Indonesia.

"So eun, why don't you come back here for a while?" Her mother offer.

So eun chuckled. "I'm still in college. "

"So where do you live now?" Her mother asked immediately.

So eun confused what to answer. "Now? ... uhmm, for a while I'm staying at a friend's house. He lives alone so he doesn't mind if I stay with him for the meantime. Besides in his house, there is an empty room. My plan today is to find a new apartment. "

"You're not staying at Hye Sun's house?" Her mother asked again.

"No. You know that Hye Sun's house is just enough for them. If I stayed there, I would only add to her parents, right? Hye Sun has lent me clothes, so I don't wanna cause more troublesome again. "

"Oh, I see? Then what's your friend's name? What's his phone number? What's his address? "

Now So eun reluctantly replied, "My friend?"

"Yeah, your friend who let you stay in his house. What's his name? Do you know him? "

"Oh ... oh ... that ..."

Dilemma. Do I have to be honest?

"You're probably at the artist's house right now."

Her mother's words were like lightning in broad daylight. So her mother already knows? How?

"What's are you talking about, mama?" So eun is still trying to dodge her mother's interrogation.

"A friend told me," Her mother's voice turned flat. "So?"

So eun didn't talk. She sat cross-legged on the bed staring at her foot.

"Just tell me frankly with Mama, do you really have a relationship with that artist? "

So eun swallowed and took a slow breath. "I know," she said somewhat timidly.

"Know? Like what? " Urged his mother. "Then, how's the story up to you now in his house? "

So eun bit her lip and finally chose to be candid. "Ma, we are not in a relationship or whatsoever. I only intend to help Junho ssi, not more than that. You must believe that I am telling the truth. It's true, I live in his house right now, but this is only temporary. "

So eun heard her mother sigh softly. "I don't know, So eun. Why don't you have any other friends who can help you? Why should you be at his house? "So eun closed her eyes, one of her hands raised to her forehead. Her mother continued again, "I don't know, So eun, Mama really don't know what to say. To tell you the truth, Mama feels ... Why the artist again? "

So eun also thought that way. Since the day she agrees to help Junho, every day she always thinks of things that should not be remembered again. "But, Ma, Junho is a good man," she said.

"You're big, you can tell what's good and what's not good. It's up to you, " her mother said. "Mama will send you some clothes. What else do you need? "

After her mother hangs up, So eun sat thoughtfully. Her chest was tight. She took a deep breath, then exhale slowly. She calms herself.

"Miss."

So eun turned toward the door when she heard Aunt Chon's voice calling her from the outside. So eun got out of bed and walked to the door. She opened the door and saw Aunt Chon's radiant face.

Before So eun could open , Aunt Chon had already held out her hand and said, "I found this on the floor. Is this yours? "

So eun stared at the object in Aunt Chon's palm. It's a brooch

Heart shaped and glossy red with golden edges.

choked. She just remembered, on the night of the fire she was staring at the brooch. Apparently that time without realizing it and then put it into her pocket. So eun had almost forgotten it until it came up again in front of her now.

"Is this yours?" Aunt Chon repeated her question.

So eun gasped. "Yes. Thanks for finding it. "

So eun took the brooch and Aunt Chon went back to her work. So eun closed the door of the room. She sat back on the bed, staring at the brooch. She looked up at the ceiling, took a deep breath once more, then exhale slowly. Once, twice, three times, and all of a sudden tears start to roll down. She wiped it with her palm, then took a deep breath and exhale again.

 

* * *

 

Hye Sun smoothed her wind-blown hair with her fingers. She and So eun was sitting in their favorite cafe place. Because of the weather this afternoon is very nice, they chose a table outside which was shaded by a large blue and white striped umbrella. Hye Sun watches her friend who is sitting in front of her with her forehead creased.

So eun was rummaging through her cappuccino in slow motion. Hye Sun feels her friend's attitude is somewhat different. Lately, So eun often daydream, it seems like a lot of it. Hye Sun once tried to find out what was in So eun's mind but did not get a satisfactory answer.

"So eun, today Junho comes home, huh?" Hye Sun asked casually.

So eun did not answer, did not even look up. She still continues to stir her cappuccino.

Hye Sun takes a deep breath. "Hey, Kim So eun!"

This time So eun gasped and looked at her inquiringly. "What? Why?"

"I asked, is Junho coming back today?"

"Oh no. This afternoon he called and said he did not come home today, "replied So eun shrugged. "He said there was a sudden business or something. Maybe tomorrow he'll be home. "

"Is that so?" Hye Sun nods and pauses. After a moment of thoughts, she asked again, "Well, unless he's cheating with a Japanese artist?"

So eun laughed lightly. "If he can cheat or at least have a relationship with a woman, then in the very beginning he doesn't need me? "

Hye Sun joined in laughing. "That's true," she said. "So you'll move after he comes home later? "

So eun looked up and cocked her head. "Mmm... I was thinking if it's much better if I just move without telling him? "

Hye Sun leans forward. "I mean, why don't you stay at Junho's house anyway? I don't think he'll mind. "

So eun's eyes widened. "You are crazy. If people find out about us staying under one roof, it could be a big scandal! The tabloids and journalists will somersault so happy, " she said. "Anyway my mother was also angry. It would be much better if I had a place to live on my own."

Hye Sun clears , staring at the ten nails of her neatly cut fingernails and said, "Doesn't he like you?"

Although So eun does not show any expression, of course, Hye Sun can guess that So eun and Junho's relationship is not as simple as they are as you can say it. She is sure that Junho is interested in So eun. Why can she be sure? Because Junho allows the girl to stay at his house, buy her a new phone, and celebrate her birthday. Then while in Japan, the man often calls So eun, if not call, she will send a short message Via mobile phone.

Hye Sun is almost certain that So eun is also interested in Junho, but she has no good reason to support her belief. So eun never bluntly say or showing feelings about this one problem.

"How?" Hye Sun asked. "You can feel it yourself, don't you?"

So eun looked at her with a faint smile. "Feel what? There's nothing. Oh yeah, I haven't thanked you yet because you've been with me all day looking for a new apartment. Do you wanna help me pick new pieces of furniture as well? I must say I was only able to buy some basic furniture. If by the time I move, I'll definitely need your help again. "

Hye Sun did not say anything. She exhaled slowly and lean back into her plastic chair. "Of course," she said after a few pauses. "I will help you."

 

* * *

 

Junho removes his sunglasses after he got into the airport and parked his car. He leaned his head back in his chair and turned to his direction to Goong Min who is sitting next to him.

"Hyung, where are we going now?" He asked.

Goong Min replied, "Didn't I told you we will drink with other people? The staff members have also worked hard in Japan. They should have a little fun as well. You too."

Junho thinks for a moment, then pulls out his phone out from under his jacket. He pressed button nine and paste the phone to his ear.

Goong Min smiles. "You calling her?"

Junho looks at his manager and winks.

"Aigoo," Goong Min said with a sigh. "Maybe I should look for a girlfriend."

Junho does not respond to his manager's words because of So eun's voice already heard on the other end.

"Oh, it's me," Junho said. He felt his spirit rise when he heard the girl's voice.

"Have you arrived?"

"Mmm, where are you?"

"At your house. Uh, are you still working? "

"No. Why?"

"Going home?"

Junho laughs softly. "Do we have something to eat at home?"

"Of course there is. Come home, I'll wait."

"Okay," Junho said. "I'm going home now."

"Hey, are not you drinking with us?" Goong Min asked Junho as he hangs up the phone.

Junho smiles apologetically. "Sorry, Hyung. I'll treat you later. "

Then, he asked the driver to drive him home.

 

* * *

 

"Well, what are we celebrating? Why are there so many foods?" Junho asks once he gets into the kitchen.

So eun is wearing a medium-heated apron and oven glove while putting a pot of hot kimchi jjigae on the table. She raises her head when Junho appears. Her smile widened. "Already home? How was your trip? "

Seeing the food on the table as well as So eun wearing an apron, then to hear the girl ask how his trip was, Junho felt somewhat clumsy.

"Junho ssi?"

Junho gasped and looked at the girl in front of him. "What? Oh, my trip was alright."

So eun checks the preparedness on the table, then turns to Junho. "Let's go eat." She took off her apron and gloves.

Junho sits down and asks, "Did you cook all this?"

So eun sat down in front of him. "I wanna say yes that, I'm the one who cooks it, but I'm not."  She chuckled. "I asked Bibi this morning to cook it. I'm just warming it up."

Junho smiles and starts eating.

So eun leaned forward. "How is it? Good? "

Junho nods. "Mmm, of course. By the way, is there anything we are celebrating? "

So eun cocked her head and thought about it. "Mmm, of course, there is. A lot."

"A lot? Like what?"

"We are celebrating your return from Japan," So eun said. "Do you know the that this is the day exactly one month since we first met? It can be celebrated. You can think of this as a thank you for helping me a lot. "

Junho smiles and nods. "There are more?"

"We can also celebrate my new apartment."

Junho looks up and stares at So eun. "You got an apartment?"

So eun nodded assertively. "Yes, tomorrow I will move."

"Why?" He asked without thinking.

So eun chuckled. "Junho ssi, you can not possibly think I will stay here and be a burden to you forever, don't you? "

"What burden?" Junho says.

So eun ignored the question and continued to speak, "Besides, if reporters find out we live together, they definitely think we're engaged and will be married soon. Do you want to make another scandal? "

Ah, an agreement to remove gay gossip. Lately, Junho often forgets that one thing.

"According to the former agreement, I'll just be your girlfriend in the photo. So I cannot marry you, " So eun said and laughed.

Junho knows So eun is just joking, but he is not in the mood to laugh. He just bends down and continues to eat.

So eun cleared . "Junho ssi, actually our agreement ... when does it end? I already did everything that is mentioned in our deal, isn't it? We already took pictures, I even get chased by journalists. The gay gossip is not being heard anymore, I think that's enough. "

Junho raises his head. "What do you mean?"

"What do I mean? Junho ssi, I cannot help you forever. I also have my own life, have a life of its own. Since people knowing me as "Junho's lover", my life is not the same anymore. I'm not an artist and I'm not used to such things. "

"So? I think a lot of people want to have a famous lover. "

So eun smiled. "You are right. I also wished that way. What a pleasure if my boyfriend is a celebrity. My friends would be jealous. " Looking at Junho with amused eyes. "But the reality is not exactly like that. Although I'm just your fake girlfriend, that alone is quite difficult for me. "

"So you don't want to date a celebrity?" Junho asked cautiously.

So eun tilted her head thoughtfully, then replied, "No. I don't think so."

Junho puts down his spoon. "Should I stop then?"

He looked up and saw So eun staring at him with a look asking. "What did you say?" The girl asked.

"Should I stop being a singer?" Junho repeats his words.

"Why are you gonna stop?"

Junho looks into So eun's eyes and says, "Because it looks like I like you."

'Because it looks like I like you.' Did I hear him wrong? No, Junho did say that. So eun was surprised to hear the confession out of Junho's mouth. Is he making a joke right now? No, it doesn't make sense. His features are serious. Then? What?

"So how? Should I start looking for another job? "Junho asked again, more to himself.

So eun blinks and realizes Junho is watching her, waiting for an answer.

"I'm not kidding," Junho said, as if he's reading the thoughts of So eun.

"I know," So eun said. That's what she fears, that Junho is not kidding. Then she smiled, "But you'd better be a singer anyway."

"Do you think so?"

So eun looked away from Junho and said, "Of course. Because you're a perfect singer." She got up from her chair. "If you are done eating, let me take care of your dishes. You just got home. Just take some rest. "

Junho paused for a moment, then he nodded and got up. "Ok. Sorry for troubling you. Tomorrow ... maybe I can not help you to move to your apartment. I must go early in the morning. "

So eun chuckled. "It is okay. Hye Sun will help me. "

Junho nods again, then he turns and walks toward the stairs. So eun looked at his back. When Junho take couples steps on the stairs, she called him, "Junho ssi."

Junho turns around. "What is it?"

"Thank you."

"Thank you? What for?"

Because you like me.

"For everything. Thank you."