Wanderlust

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Jan Di and Ji Hoo packed for their honeymoon. Jan Di continued to try to drag it out of Ji Hoo where they would be going. She couldn't stand the suspense any longer. He'd simply assure her that she would find out the next day and tell her to be patient. Patient? Have you mistaken me for you, Ji Hoo Sunbae?

She would ask for clues, and he would give her the weakest possible hint just to toy with her. She attempted pleading cutely. She even attempted seducing him to get him to tell her with pouty looks and lingering kisses, which he would take advantage of but still tell her nothing! He wasn't budging, and he had her seriously doubting her skills.

Finally, he decided to play a game with her. He would give her 5 clues about their destination, split up evenly between the remaining hours they had left, and if she could beat the game then she could know ahead of time. She agreed to play.

"Your first clue—the place where we are going, babies were carried around and not allowed to touch the ground until 3 months old," he said.

"What?" Jan Di gaped. What kind of clue is that? "But I don't know any trivia about places in the world," she protested.

"Well, then you'll just have to wait," he taunted. He was getting entirely too much pleasure out of her torment.

It felt more like homework to her, but when he caught her looking on the internet he scolded her.

Why is he being so cruel to me?

He smiled to himself as she writhed in her cocoon of restlessness.

His next clue had been: "There are black sand volcanic beaches there."

She still had nothing. So, there are volcanoes…?

"It's one of the few places you can get the most expensive coffee in the world, Kopi Luwak," was his third clue.

"Coffee?" Where is he getting this stuff?

Later, he revealed his fourth clue. "The main religion is Hinduism."

That could be one of multiple countries…

Prior to leaving for the airport, he revealed the final clue. "It's called the Island of the Gods."

"So, it's an island, hmm…," she mused.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo arrived at the airport and were dropped off by Ji Hoo's driver. The driver unloaded their luggage, and they headed inside.

Ji Hoo pulled out their tickets and turned to Jan Di.

"So, did you figure out where we're going?" he asked.

Jan Di looked down sheepishly. "No, you're too good at this game..."

"Well, it wasn't really a very fair game. You've waited long enough. I'll tell you now." He smiled and d her cheek. "…I gave a great deal of thought to where I would take you for our honeymoon. Because you're so special to me I wanted this to be a very special trip. Truthfully, I want to take you everywhere and share everything with you…I want you to see every place I've been, and I want to experience every new place together with you… It was so difficult to choose just one place. If we didn't both have to be at the hospital for work in a few weeks I would have probably taken months to travel the world with you…"

"Sunbae…," she smiled tenderly at him.

"Still Sunbae then?"

She grinned sheepishly. "Well, for now, at least. I'm just so used to calling you that."

He smiled. "It's OK. Like I said, I kind of like it. …We can still see the world, you know, and I plan to show it to you. We can go to a new place each time we have a vacation."

She smiled. "I'd like that."

"So, for our first trip together, I ended up choosing a place that is supposed to be very beautiful and that I knew you would love. I've never been there, so this will be a first time experience for both of us." He handed her plane ticket to her.

She opened it up and read the destination aloud, "Bali, Indonesia."

"Shall we?" He put his arm around her and they headed to security.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di sat together on the plane. The flight would be about 7 hours. Jan Di assumed that Ji Hoo would nap through most of it, but for now he was reading. She decided to try and sleep herself, so she rested her head against his arm. He ruffled her hair and kissed the top of her head, and she closed her eyes.


Upon arrival at Ngurah Rai International Airport, Ji Hoo and Jan Di went through customs and were taken by a personal driver to the villa that Ji Hoo had booked at the Banyan Tree Ungasan resort. It was about a 40 minute drive, a bit longer with traffic. Along the way, they took in the beauty of the tree-lined streets and the mountains off in the distance.

They arrived at the resort and got out. Jan Di's jaw dropped. To say it was incredible would have been selling it short. The resort rested atop a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean. Balinese bales dotted the grounds, surrounded by lush greenery and finely landscaped gardens. Ji Hoo wasn't normally one to flaunt his wealth, but on this trip it seemed that he'd spared no expense. And she was certain that he'd paid some people off, too, because everywhere they went they seemed to get the royal treatment.

He'd reserved the Presidential villa, and as they were escorted in Jan Di couldn't help but stare wide-eyed. She took in the beauty of it all, along with the faint hint of incense in the air. The villa contained living, dining, and kitchen areas, along with three huge bedrooms with lovely marble bathrooms, and even a private spa treatment room. They stepped out onto the terrace to view a huge infinity pool overlooking the ocean. "Wow," escaped Jan Di's lips.

While Ji Hoo unpacked and changed, Jan Di snapped some pictures with her phone and sent them to Ga Eul and to her family, along with a message informing those back home that they'd arrived. She'd nearly forgotten. Then, she decided to give Ga Eul a quick call. Jan Di prattled on about how amazing the place was with Ga Eul.

Ji Hoo suddenly came up behind Jan Di and wrapped his arms around her. She jumped lightly. "Oh," she mumbled. He rested his chin on her shoulder and began to nuzzle her hair and neck.

"Hi, Ga Eul. How are you?" Ji Hoo said into the phone from over Jan Di's shoulder.

"Hi, Ji Hoo, Sunbae," Ga Eul replied, as Jan Di held up the phone to him.

Ji Hoo went back to nuzzling Jan Di and began to kiss her neck softly. Jan Di had to suppress a giggle. "OK, I think he's trying to get me off the phone," Jan Di smirked back at him. "Talk to you soon, Ga Eul!"

Ga Eul smiled and shook her head on the other end. "Have fun, you two! Thanks for the pictures, Jan Di, can't wait to hear all about it!"

"Want to take a nap with me before dinner?" Ji Hoo asked after she'd hung up the phone.

"You and your naps…I think you're part cat… We're in this beautiful, romantic place and you're thinking about taking a nap? You certainly are my Ji Hoo Sunbae…" she gave a short laugh and smiled affectionately at him.

He shrugged. "Well, I suppose we could do something else," he grinned at her.

She shoved him playfully. "It's OK. You can take your nap."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure you get plenty of romance…," he said suggestively and pulled her in. He kissed her deeply.

She broke away rather breathlessly, "I'm sure you will," she smiled and turned from him. He grabbed her wrist and suddenly picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.

"Ya, Yoon Ji Hoo! What are you doing?"

He grinned and carried her off.


Jan Di awoke to an alarm buzzing on the bedside table. She had to orient herself to where she was. She checked the time. They must have actually taken that nap that was discussed. She felt rejuvenated and slightly euphoric. Maybe there was something to this nap business… She rolled over and sighed contentedly and put her arm out to feel for Ji Hoo, but he wasn't there. She sat up, covered by only the luxurious bed linen, and glanced around the room. Her clothes were haphazardly strewn about. Oh yeah… She smiled, blushing slightly.

She noticed Ji Hoo getting dressed. She watched him, clutching the sheet against her chest. Even the way he dressed was an art form, so fluid, so precise, so beautiful… He moved like a musician in other areas, as well… She watched him button his shirt and adjust the collar before the mirror. She watched him slip on his tie and pull it tight. She watched him put on an antique white suit jacket that matched his pants perfectly.

He turned back to her and approached the bed. "You look very handsome," she said, smiling, and he returned the smile. You'd better get dressed, darling, or we'll be late for dinner," he said and leaned down to kiss her.

Jan Di dressed for dinner. She wore a short midnight blue floral beach dress and wedge sandals. She draped a matching wrap over her shoulders. She tossed her hair up with a flower clip and stood before him. "How do I look?"

"Kamu cantik," he said.

"Eh?"

"That means you're beautiful in Balinese," he smiled lovingly at her.

She smiled back. "How do I say thank you?"

"Suksma," he replied.

"Suksma!" she repeated, "When did you learn Balinese?"

"I don't know much, was just reading up on it a bit lately."

I didn't have that opportunity, since someone wouldn't tell me where we were going…, she thought. Though, she had to admit that it was rather exciting and romantic being surprised like this.

"Shall we?" He led her outside to the terrace, and her jaw dropped once more. There was a bale pavilion set up with torches surrounding it. Inside the pavilion was a lovely table for two with a floral centerpiece of plumeria. The sun was beginning to set, and the view was a breathtaking kaleidoscope of oranges, yellows, pinks, and purples.

"Wow," Jan Di breathed.

"Perfect timing," he said, leading her to the edge, "Bali is known for its beautiful sunsets." They leaned against the ledge overlooking the cliffs and watched the sun set, as the waves lightly caressed the white sand.

Not long after, a personal chef and a waiter arrived. The chef began to prepare dinner for them, as the waiter seated them. Ji Hoo and Jan Di sat across from each other. They talked and enjoyed a dinner of traditional barbeque dishes, seafood, and handpicked fruits, with a baked chocolate tart with rum and raisin ice cream and vanilla sauce to share for dessert.

 


After dinner, Ji Hoo had arranged for a couples massage. Two Balinese women dressed in traditional garb entered and introduced themselves.

"Rahajeng peteng," Ji Hoo greeted in Balinese.

The women seemed very excited that he was speaking with them in Balinese. One of the women seemed especially friendly toward Ji Hoo and put a hand on his arm and said something in Balinese. Ji Hoo gave a faint smile and appeared slightly embarrassed. Jan Di pursed her lips and looked on suspiciously then plastered on a smile when the girl looked at her.

"Ini adalah istriku," Ji Hoo said, pointing to Jan Di.

"Ahh," the girl replied and smiled at Jan Di. "Apa beberapa indah!"

"What did she say, and what did you say?" Jan Di whispered to Ji Hoo in Korean.

Ji Hoo turned to Jan Di and spoke in their language. "Uhh," he put a hand behind his head, "Well, she said something about me being handsome, I think…" Jan Di tightened her lips. "And then I introduced you as my wife, and she said that we are a lovely couple." Jan Di gave a short bow and smiled at the women.

The woman who had called Ji Hoo handsome looked between Ji Hoo and Jan Di. She gave Jan Di a subtle sneer when Ji Hoo wasn't looking, as if she couldn't believe that she was with him. Jan Di wrinkled her brow. I think perhaps you mistranslated that, Ji Hoo-yah…

The masseuses instructed them to undress and lay on the side-by-side tables under the sheets. Ji Hoo and Jan Di did so and the masseuses returned. The girl who'd called Ji Hoo handsome was, much to Jan Di's distaste, his masseuse. Jan Di scowled lightly behind her back.

Jan Di had experienced a massage before, against her will. She recalled Joon Pyo's lackeys kidnapping her and treating her to a full spa day without her consent. This wasn't so forced, but still, she wasn't thrilled about someone massaging her husband who had just hit on him moments before. She didn't want to make a fuss, though, so she decided to let it go and try to relax and enjoy it.

She found herself a bit vigilant, though, and she kept an eye on the flirtatious masseuse. She seemed to be somewhat professional, but she spoke a bit too sweetly and laughed at a couple things he said in Balinese. The exchange didn't last long, probably because Ji Hoo's Balinese was limited. Perhaps sensing Jan Di's unease about them speaking when she couldn't understand Ji Hoo translated what had been said for her.

Ji Hoo looked to Jan Di and reached out to hold her hand from the next table. "How are you doing, sweetheart?" he asked.

"Fine," she replied simply. He looked at her, slightly confused by her apparent malcontent, and he squeezed her hand. She smiled to appease him, and he relaxed, as their massages continued. Shortly after, he appeared to be close to falling asleep. She decided to try to relax, too. It did feel pretty good…


The massage had been pleasant enough, but afterward Jan Di still felt a bit irritated. Ji Hoo noticed this and asked her if she didn't like her massage and what was wrong. She felt ridiculous even mentioning it but reluctantly told him. He smiled and kissed her forehead. "You shouldn't let that bother you…"

She pursed her lips. "You know, it probably happens more than I realize…" Jan Di frowned.

"What?"

"People wondering what that plain, unattractive girl is doing with that really attractive guy…"

"That is absolutely not true! You're not unattractive, at all!"

She tapped her chin with her finger. "Maybe you're just a little bit blinded, Ji Hoo-yah…"

"Well, call it what you will, but I think you're sweet…" he kissed her lips, "…wonderful…" he kissed her a second time, "…and beautiful…" he kissed her a third time. She smiled at him.

"And people do not think that! In fact, I've noticed more than a few guys looking at you over the years… One example, when we did that wedding contest, the guys were going crazy over you…You need to have more confidence in yourself, Jan Di."

She smiled again. "That's sweet of you, Ji Hoo-yah… All that really matters is what you think anyway."

He kissed her. "Good. I'm glad to hear you say that. And you know what I think…" He rubbed noses with her.


Jan Di prepared for bed that night in the large marble master bathroom. Despite Ji Hoo's reassurance, she was still feeling a bit like her territory had been threatened somehow, so she decided to step it up a bit. He wanted her to be more confident… OK, she'd try… She went through her bag and pulled out the most alluring piece of lingerie that she brought, a black satin and lace babydoll, which she was embarrassed to admit Ga Eul had suggested. She held it up and looked at it, cocked her head to the side, and wrinkled her brow. "Can I really wear this?" She closed her eyes tightly and nodded her head. "Yes, I can do it…"

After about 30 minutes, Jan Di looked herself over in the mirror, wearing the thin, barely existent garment. It took her about 10 minutes to figure out how to put the thing on and another 20 to build up the nerve to go out there wearing it…

Ji Hoo wondered what was keeping Jan Di. Is she sick? Perhaps she is still upset? He sighed and put on his glasses and began reading his book from the plane in bed. He wore a thin white cotton shirt and lounge pants. His russet bangs fell lightly over the rim of his glasses.

Jan Di finally exited the bathroom and stood before him. She put a hand on her hip. Ji Hoo looked up from his book, and it slipped from his fingers. He lost his breath for a moment. He cocked his head to the side, tilted his glasses, and peered at her over the rim. He took them off, put the tip to his mouth, and lightly bit down, just staring at her…

Suddenly feeling self-conscious, Jan Di crossed her arms over her chest and bit at her nail.

"Wow," he exhaled and looked her up and down.

Jan Di blushed slightly and looked away, as she dug her slipper into the wood floor.

"What are you doing all the way over there?" he grinned at her and patted the spot next to him on the bed.

She chewed on her bottom lip and approached. She stood next to the bed and he looked up at her. "You look…incredible…I like this," he grinned and tugged at a piece of the fabric from her garment and twisted it between his fingers.

"Really?" she asked incredulously.

He gave a short laugh. "Yes, really! Did you think there was some chance I wouldn't like it?" he asked equally incredulous.

Before she could respond, he swiftly pulled her down. She lay on her back below the canopied bed, and he leaned over her. He draped an arm across her and ran his hand up her thigh before pressing her tightly against him. He kissed her deeply, as she wrapped her arms around his neck and twisted her fingers within his hair. "Are you still upset?" he asked after pulling back, breathing heavily. She smiled and shook her head.

"Good. You shouldn't be," he kissed her again.

She smiled. "I know it was silly… I just got a bit jeal—"

He captured once more, mid-word. Caught up in the moment, she bit his lip lightly, and he further deepened the kiss.

"You know I'd never even look at another woman…" he muttered breathlessly after they'd broken the kiss. "Do you still not know how strong my love for you is?"

"Well, I…"

"Do I need to show you…?"

She blushed lightly and nodded. Needing no further encouragement, he began kissing and exploring her with hands and mouth, as their bodies melded.


The next morning, Ji Hoo had arranged to have a floral bath prepared for her. The bath had been sprinkled with plumeria and frangipani petals in lovely shades of pink, red, and white, forming a heart shape in the middle. Jan Di dipped herself into the warm bath and immediately began to feel completely relaxed and rejuvenated.

After the heavenly bath and an equally divine breakfast, they embarked upon their planned activities for the day. They visited the local sites: Uluwatu Temple, the Ubud Monkey Forest, and they went hiking at Mt. Batur. That evening they had a romantic dinner in the secret cave hideaway of Samabe.

Upon returning to the villa that night, Jan Di decided she wanted to try out the infinity pool.

"Let's go swimming," she'd exclaimed, dragging Ji Hoo toward the pool.

"Swimming, hmm?" he crossed his arms and deliberated.

"Yes, we can't let this beautiful pool go to waste!"

He nodded. "I suppose you're right. I suppose it's OK so long as I'm here with you, but you're not allowed in water without me there, OK? Lifeguard, remember?"

"Yes, of course, Op-pa," she teased.

He was taken aback by the sound of that coming from her lips. He grinned at her.

They changed and dipped into the infinity pool. The multi-colored lights reflected against the clear turquoise water, giving it an ethereal quality. Ji Hoo wrapped his arms around Jan Di and they leaned against the edge looking out over the expansive ocean.

"Wow, it's so beautiful, isn't it?" she mused.

He squeezed her and kissed the back of her head. "Yeah, it is. But not as beautiful as you…"

She smirked at the cheesy line but gave him a kiss regardless and smiled. "This is so amazing, Sunba- er… umm.. nae salang… Thank you for bringing me here."

"Nae salang?" he smiled.

"Yeah, just trying it out."

"I like it." He kissed her hair and held her tighter.

"I feel so happy right now. It's so nice having this time together. I know that soon we are both going to be so busy, and we may not get much time together," she said sadly.

He placed a tender kiss upon her shoulder. "We'll make time. We have the rest of our lives," he said.

"Mm." she crossed her arms and rested them against the edge.

"Are you nervous about starting your internship?" he asked.

"I'm terrified but also exhilarated. I feel reassured that you'll be there to watch over me. Perhaps you can prevent me from making too many mistakes."

Ji Hoo chuckled. "I'll try." He turned her to face him and held her waist. He looked deeply into her eyes and grew serious. "I'm so proud of you."

She smiled and kissed him.

"I'm so proud of you! I only managed to stumble through medical school with your help, and I'm only starting my internship…you've already been promoted to Chief Resident! And you're going to be performing surgery soon, right? How do you feel about that?"

He pursed his lips. "Well, I suppose I'm a bit nervous, but I'll just do my best. And I'll have a team with me."

"I hope that I can watch you in surgery sometime."

He smiled. "I'd like that. You could be my special good luck charm, soon-to-be Dr. Yoon Jan Di."

She smiled back at him.

Then Jan Di grew pensive. She hesitated briefly. "You know, I was thinking that maybe I would use my maiden name at the hospital…"

"What?" he asked, taken aback.

"Don't take it the wrong way, Ji Hoo-yah, but I kind of want to make it on my own there. I don't want any favorable treatment because I'm your wife."

"Who says that'll get you favorable treatment?" he laughed.

"Well, you're pretty well known there… I feel comforted knowing that you'll be around, but if you show me any special attention it might be awkward…"

"Who says I'm not going to see that you're worked harder than anyone else?" he grinned.

"Sunbae!"

"Back to Sunbae, huh?" he commented. They both laughed.

"I hope you do work me harder!" she said.

"I'm just kidding. I am definitely going to encourage you and push you because I believe in you, but I would never push you further than I know you can go."

She smiled. "Thank you."

"Besides, Dr. Jang will be the attending, so he'll be your direct supervisor," Ji Hoo made a face. "He's kind of become known for being hard on the interns. He'd better treat you right, though…or he'll have to deal with your firefighter…," Ji Hoo grinned.

Jan Di cracked a smile. He joked, but she knew there was something more to that. It had been clear that Ji Hoo was not fond of Dr. Jang, ever since he'd attempted to take over the clinic. And he hadn't exactly been thrilled when Dr. Jang had kissed her hand in front of him.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," she simply reassured.

"Honestly, you'll probably only see me here and there in passing. Even though I'll be Chief Resident now, I'm surgical and you're medical, so we won't have as much contact as I'd like," Ji Hoo said, rather disappointed.

"It's OK. I'm just excited that we'll be working in the same hospital and will have the chance to see each other here and there! Maybe we can have lunch together."

"I thought you didn't want to associate with me at work…," Ji Hoo half-joked. He couldn't deny that it had hurt his feelings slightly, but he understood.

"You know that's not what I meant!" she smacked his arm.

"I know, and I understand it. Yoon Jan Di, always so proud….," he said affectionately and kissed her cheek. "I really don't think that we will be able to keep our marriage a secret from our coworkers forever, though."

"Well, not forever. Just until it's comfortable and I can prove I'm not a screw-up."

He laughed and ruffled her hair. "You're so funny, my little otter."


The next two weeks flew by in a beautiful blur. Jan Di and Ji Hoo took a helicopter ride, went on a chocolate tour, rode an elephant at the Elephant Safari Park, and went snorkeling. They visited the Agung Rai Museum of Art, Ubud Palace, and the Bali Museum. They went to the beach and shopping for souvenirs in the markets. Jan Di bought souvenirs for family and friends.

They arrived home to an eager Grandfather and Fluffy.

"How was the honeymoon?" Grandfather asked with a chuckle.

"It was great!" Jan Di exclaimed, placing a kiss on Grandfather's cheek.

"Well, most of it was… Jan Di got into trouble a few times…," Ji Hoo added, as he carried in their luggage. Grandfather shot Jan Di a look of concern.

Jan Di smacked Ji Hoo's arm playfully and pursed her lips. "Ya!"

She turned to Grandfather and grinned sheepishly, "Just a little…it really wasn't that bad…"

Jan Di and Ji Hoo sat down with Grandfather and told him about their trip, and Jan Di gave him the souvenirs she'd picked out for him. Jan Di was eager to have Ga Eul, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin over for dinner the next night to recount their trip and give them their souvenirs, as well.