Occasions & Surprises I

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had just returned from Paris. Ji Hoo had been a frequent visitor to the psychiatric department since deciding to pay for Ha-Joon's treatment, and this led to hearsay about a relationship between Dr. Yoon and Dr. Baek.

Jan Di overheard a couple of busybodies discussing it one day. It wasn't the first time she'd heard such rumors, and frankly she was sick of it. The two nurses who were talking caught sight of Jan Di glaring at them, and they quickly walked off. Jan Di tightened and began to take off in their direction.

Dr. Jang caught Jan Di by both arms from behind and pulled her back, pressing her body lightly into his. "Easy there, Tiger…" he grinned, enjoying the feel of her against him despite the tenseness of her every muscle. He was able to savor it for a few seconds before being forced to release her.

"What were you going to do, beat them up?" he grinned at her.

Jan Di pursed her lips and looked up at him, "Maybe," she replied haughtily and turned to stare off in the general direction of the women. Dr. Jang laughed.

"Or, at least give them a piece of my mind…"

Dr. Jang grinned. "That didn't really get to you, did it?" he grew serious.

"No. I know exactly why Ji Hoo goes there. He's checking on Ha-Joon's progress. I just don't like it when people talk about Ji Hoo like that…" Jan Di and Dr. Jang turned and walked off toward a patient's room. "This hospital is so full of gossips," Jan Di sighed.

Ji Hoo always acted like he didn't even care, and usually Jan Di could ignore it, but sometimes it got to her and she wanted to put an end to it.

"Tell me about it…," Dr. Jang mumbled. He himself had not been immune. Now that his ex-wife was working at the hospital he was a topic of interest, too. Though, most feared his wrath enough to be more cautious about speaking of it.

"What about you, Seonsaengnim?" Jan Di asked hesitantly. "Does that…sort of thing…bother you?" She was referring to the gossip about his ex-wife.

"Not really. I just kind of shrug it off."

Jan Di nodded. She and Dr. Jang walked down the hall of the hospital together.

"Oh!" Jan Di stopped and Dr. Jang followed suit.

"I almost forgot, I have something for you, Seonsaengnim…," Jan Di reached into the pocket of her lab coat and pulled out a small gift-wrapped package with Eiffel Towers on it.

Dr. Jang grinned, "What's this, Kiddo?" She simply encouraged him to open it. Dr. Jang opened the package. Inside was a metal Eiffel Tower paper weight. Dr. Jang gave a short laugh and turned it over in his hand.

"You really did get me an Eiffel Tower paper weight," he smiled as if truly touched, as he ran his fingers across the grooves.

"Of course!" Jan Di grinned, "You asked for one, didn't you?"

"I did," he smiled and shook his head, "…Thank you for thinking of me, Kiddo."

Jan Di nodded. He gave her hair a ruffle, and they continued to walk together.


Three Weeks Later…

Jan Di was highly nervous today because she was expecting the results of her medical licensing exam. She was almost as nervous as when she took the exam. She recalled that day two weeks ago vividly. She had done some last minute studying the night before, but Ji Hoo had ensured that she didn't cram too much. He insisted that she get a good night's rest and have a good breakfast in the morning, which he made for her. And then he and Grandfather dropped her off at the exam site, and Ji Hoo went to the hospital and Grandfather to the Clinic. She went into the exam with her head held high, determined not to let anyone down.

The waiting for the results had seemed interminable to Jan Di. The end of the period in which she was guaranteed to have her results had come. They certainly did enjoy tormenting her by waiting until the last day. She'd requested that the results be sent to the hospital. Finally, she was handed a letter. Jan Di said a silent prayer before opening it and scanning the words on the printed letterhead. A huge smile crossed her face and she felt the urge to scream, but she refrained.

"You got your results?" Ji Hoo's voice came from behind her. He must have just finished surgery; he had excellent timing today.

Jan Di wanted to torture Ji Hoo a bit, since he was always teasing her about things, and it just sounded like fun. So, she put on her best poker face and turned toward him. "Yes, I did." She stared him down hard, saying nothing more.

"And?" he attempted to read her while waiting for her response. She tried to remain expressionless, but the corners of kept involuntarily twitching, and before she knew it there was a full blown smile on her face. Ji Hoo gave her a lustrous smile in return, and she quickly ran to him and threw herself into his arms. "I passed!" she exclaimed.

Ji Hoo squeezed her tightly and picked her up, spinning once with her. "I knew you would," he whispered against her ear. "I'm so proud of you!"

Ji Hoo set her down and put his hands upon her shoulders.

"Thank you, Ji Hoo-yah, for everything… I never would've become a doctor without you," she said sincerely. Ji Hoo shook his head, "No, you would have. You should give yourself more credit." They smiled at one another.

"Congratulations, Kiddo," Dr. Jang said from behind them. He'd heard Jan Di's squeal and caught sight of the end of the interaction.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di turned to Dr. Jang, who had his hands in the pockets of his coat. Jan Di approached Dr. Jang and stood before him. "Thank you, Seonsaengnim!" she beamed, unable to wipe the smile from her face. He smiled back at her.

"I guess there are going to be two Dr. Yoons running around the hospital now," he smirked, "I don't know if the hospital is ready for that…" Jan Di gave a short laugh, as Ji Hoo looked on expressionless.


Ji Hoo had suggested to Jan Di that they go out to celebrate with F4 and Ga Eul that night. Ji Hoo had insisted that the entire group join but did not tell them the occasion. Alex had joined, too.

They all went to one of Woo Bin's night clubs. Ji Hoo stood up at the table to make the announcement. He cleared his throat, never enjoying giving a speech, despite it only being in front of F4 and their girls. He decided to keep it short and sweet.

"I'd like to introduce you all to someone," Ji Hoo began, taking Jan Di's hand and pulling her up with him. He intertwined his fingers with hers. They all looked on curiously. "…I'd like to introduce you all to my beautiful, amazing wife, Doctor Yoon Jan Di!"

Ji Hoo broke his grip on her hand to clap, and the rest of the group joined in clapping loudly. Ga Eul clasped her hands together and jiggled excitedly. Woo Bin gave a "Yea, yea, yea, you go Doctor Jan Di!" and whistled, while Joon Pyo and Alex clapped steadily. A proud smirk-smile crossed Joon Pyo's lips.

Jan Di bowed her head humbly before releasing a happy chuckle and smiling at the group. Ga Eul went to Jan Di. Ji Hoo dropped his arm from around Jan Di's shoulders and stepped back, as if giving her the spotlight. Ga Eul embraced Jan Di, offering a hearty congratulations. Then, F3 took their turns hugging Jan Di and congratulating her.

Even Joon Pyo pulled Jan Di into a firm, rough hug and whispered, "Hard to believe, but you did it…" Then, Joon Pyo grinned at her. Jan Di shook her head and smiled, knowing full well that he was proud of her even if he tried not to show it.

The group raised their glasses to Jan Di and then to Yi Jeong and Ga Eul on their upcoming wedding. They all clinked glasses and took a sip. Woo Bin began whooping again for his best bud and the girl who'd captured his heart, and everyone clapped enthusiastically for them, too.

It was Woo Bin who suggested dancing, and he chose Jan Di as his first partner. Jan Di smiled and took his hand, as he led her out to the dance floor. Ji Hoo smiled as he looked on. Yi Jeong followed suit and asked his lovely fiancée to dance. Ga Eul blushed lightly as Yi Jeong rested his hand upon her lower back and led her out to where Woo Bin was slow-dancing smoothly with Jan Di.

Woo Bin smiled down at Jan Di and gave her a wink. "I'm proud of you, Doctor Jan Di," he said. Jan Di smiled and glanced downward. Woo Bin looked to Yi Jeong, who was dancing closely with Ga Eul and looking sublimely happy.


Ji Hoo, Joon Pyo, and Alex sat at the table watching. Alex shot a glance to Joon Pyo, as if to suggest that he ask her to dance, but he said nothing and simply watched the others. Ji Hoo attempted some idle conversation with Joon Pyo, who had been uncharacteristically quiet that evening, but Joon Pyo was brief and seemed to be avoiding eye contact with Alex and Ji Hoo. Then, Joon Pyo simply got up and walked off.

Alex stared after Joon Pyo and sighed. She hadn't really expected him to ask her, just hoped. Ji Hoo watched Joon Pyo walk off and then looked to Alex, as if expecting an explanation.

"Is everything alright?" Ji Hoo asked when she remained silent.

Alex sighed again, "Well, I think Joon Pyo is a little upset with me…"

Ji Hoo simply waited for her to go on.

"We were talking about Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's wedding on the way here, and I…tried to express to him how I feel about him, but I guess I didn't do that so well, and he thought I was trying to pressure him into some kind of huge commitment…"

Ji Hoo gave her an understanding nod.

Alex drummed her cherry red nails upon the table. "And then I made it worse by slipping and bringing up something you said…and well, the whole thing just came out… So, now he knows that I was jealous and that I went to you…," she rolled her eyes.

Ji Hoo gave a sharp exhale, "Oh no, you brought me into it…"

Alex turned to Ji Hoo, "I'm sorry," she said sincerely, "I don't usually slip with words like that… I always know exactly what to say…in business scenarios anyway… I even tried to plan out how I would tell him how I feel about him, like a presentation," Alex smirked, "…but we ended up having a spontaneous conversation, and I wasn't prepared, even though I've been thinking about it a lot…"

Ji Hoo sighed, "Well, did you speak from the heart?"

Alex smirked, "…I tried to, but I guess I put my foot in my mouth."

"Well, just give him a little time to…process…and then talk to him again," Ji Hoo said in a reassuring tone. Ji Hoo was sure that Joon Pyo was not blameless. He'd probably said some things without thinking, too. Alex pursed her lips and nodded.

Alex and Ji Hoo looked out over the dance floor and noticed Joon Pyo asking to cut in to dance with Jan Di. Alex's heart had been treading water so far that evening, but at that moment she felt it sink beneath the waves.

Joon Pyo began dancing with Jan Di.

"Are you OK, Goo Joon Pyo?" Jan Di asked, noticing his solemn expression.

"I'm fine," he replied simply.

Jan Di nodded and grew silent.

"Are all you women crazy?" Joon Pyo mumbled after a moment.

"Eh?" Jan Di gaped at Joon Pyo. She prepared to tell him off for such a statement, but she could tell that something was bothering him. Perhaps he was having problems with Alex? But she didn't want to ask and overstep her boundaries. They continued to dance silently.

Alex stared out longingly for Joon Pyo. Ji Hoo noticed her dejected expression, and he suddenly felt badly for her. She truly was softer and more vulnerable than she appeared. Ji Hoo stood and approached Alex.

"Would you like to dance?" Ji Hoo held out a hand gallantly to Alex. She gave a faint smile and took Ji Hoo's hand. He ushered her out and prepared to lead. These days Ji Hoo was used to only dancing with Jan Di, and dancing with Alex was a much different experience. Not only was she much taller than Jan Di, about the height of Seo Hyun and nearly as tall as Ji Hoo, but she almost seemed like she wanted to be the one to lead. Joon Pyo and Jan Di glanced over at Ji Hoo and Alex. Joon Pyo pursed his lips faintly.

Ji Hoo and Alex danced. Joon Pyo and Jan Di danced. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul danced. And Woo Bin, who was flying solo tonight, easily found himself a very lovely partner.


After a song and as if by some silent agreement between the F4 men, they all decided to switch partners. Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo nodded to one another and switched partners first. Woo Bin winked at his dance partner before releasing her and then asked to dance with Ga Eul. Yi Jeong nodded in agreement and took a seat with a hint of disappointment on his face.

Woo Bin swayed back and forth with Ga Eul. He congratulated her and told her she was too good for Yi Jeong. Ga Eul smirked and shook her head at him. Ji Hoo held Jan Di close and enjoyed their dance, but he couldn't help feeling concerned for Joon Pyo.

Joon Pyo danced silently with Alex. Finally Alex spoke, "Are you mad at me?"

"No," he replied simply.

Alex nodded, not sure if she believed him. "I'm sorry…that didn't go the way I wanted it to... I'm sorry for getting jealous...I know that you and Jan Di have a special…bond...," Alex couldn't help but taste something very bitter upon acknowledging it, "…I'm not going to try and get in the way of you two being friends…and I'm sorry that I went to Ji Hoo… I shouldn't have done that."

Joon Pyo nodded. "Let's just forget about it," he replied in a somber tone.

"OK," Alex mumbled. She wondered if he wanted to forget the entire conversation… Had she made a mistake in attempting to confess her love? Had he even understood?

She didn't actually say the words 'I love you' after all

Alex stared up at Joon Pyo, who was still avoiding eye contact and was instead glancing extraneously around the room. She glanced downward and sighed. After a few more minutes of dancing he tightened his grip on her waist ever so slightly. Feeling hopeful, she glanced up at him, and he met her eyes. Joon Pyo smirked down at her, "You're such a pain…"

Alex smiled before pressing into him a bit deeper.


After dancing, the group returned to their table for more drinks and conversation. Jan Di turned down the alcohol and ordered another glass of water.

Alex didn't have the history with F4 that Jan Di and Ga Eul did, but she was not one to shy away from anything, so she jumped right into the conversation, despite not really knowing what they were talking about most of the time. She was able to fake it well, though, and show an interest. Alex began asking a lot of questions about the members of F4 and their pasts. Joon Pyo questioned her on why she was being so nosy, and she simply stated that she wanted to get to know his friends.

While Alex talked with Joon Pyo and the guys, Jan Di and Ga Eul began a side conversation about the wedding. Alex quickly switched sides to the girls' conversation.

"Are you having a bachelorette party, Ga Eul?" Alex asked.

Ga Eul smiled, "Well, I wouldn't exactly call it that, but Jan Di, another friend of ours, Jae Kyung, and I are thinking about getting together the night before for some girl time."

Alex nodded and smiled at them, "That sounds fun." It almost seemed like she was fishing for an invitation.

Ga Eul nodded to Alex and then turned to Jan Di. Ga Eul managed to excuse herself and Jan Di, and Ga Eul asked Jan Di if they should invite Alex. Ga Eul ensured that Jan Di was okay with it and that it wouldn't be awkward. Jan Di maintained that it was fine and that she thought it was a good idea to get to know Alex. Ga Eul and Jan Di, both exceedingly sweet girls that they were, decided to give Alex a chance.

Upon return to the table, Ga Eul casually asked, "Um, Alex…Unnie, would you…like to join us for the bachelorette party?"

Alex seemed genuinely touched by this, and she smiled. F4 looked between each other.

Joon Pyo smirked, "What a strange gathering…the Weed, the Monkey, the Porridge Girl, and now the Leech all together…"

"Hey, don't call me that!" Alex spoke up, her brow wrinkled. Joon Pyo simply grinned. He had come up with the nickname long ago and occasionally pulled it out to taunt Alex.

Jan Di had long ago ceased to be insulted by the nickname 'Weed.' In fact, Joon Pyo could very seldom make her angry these days. Perhaps she was becoming more even-tempered as she aged…

"And a little respect for Ga Eul, Joon Pyo," Yi Jeong warned. "Besides, Ga Eul is a teacher now. She doesn't even work at the porridge shop any longer."

After that, the group changed topics, and the rest of the evening went by relatively uneventful.


A week before Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's wedding was Ji Hoo's birthday. He was turning 27. That morning, Jan Di brought a tray of breakfast into the bedroom. Ji Hoo was still sleeping. She slowly climbed in but nearly tripped. She managed to save the tray, but it woke Ji Hoo.

"Still waking me up unexpectedly, I see," he grinned, and she smiled back at him sheepishly. "Sorry."

"What's this?" he smiled, as she set the tray down over his lap.

"Breakfast in bed, just like you did for me…" she smiled back at him.

"Thank you, my love," he ruffled her hair, and she snuggled in beside him. He took a bite, and she watched him eating with a tender expression on her face.

"Want some?" he asked.

"No, it's all for you."

"Have some," he insisted and held out a bite to her. "OK," she gave in, and he fed her.

"I wish you didn't have to work today…," Jan Di pouted, snuggling in closer to him.

Ji Hoo smiled and gave her a kiss. "It's OK."

"But you'll be home by 6, right?"

"Mm, should be," Ji Hoo nodded, "You're not planning a party, are you?"

Jan Di gaped at him. "No, I know you hate parties..."

"I do hate parties…," he grinned, studying her, "You're really not planning one?" he asked after finishing another bite.

"Of course not!" Jan Di scoffed and crossed her arms. She looked away as if hurt by the insinuation, but he could tell she was actually trying to not give herself away. Ji Hoo smiled. You're a terrible liar, little otter…

Ji Hoo truly was not fond of parties, but it wouldn't be so bad to see F3 again. He assumed they would be the ones invited, along with Ga Eul.

Jan Di had indeed planned a party for Ji Hoo. She knew it wasn't really his thing, but she was his wife, and it was important to her and to the people closest to him to celebrate it together as a family. It was also his first birthday that they would spend together as a married couple, so she wanted to make it special. She hoped he would forgive her for it. After all, she'd only invited F3, her family, and Grandfather, of course. It was at the house, and she kept it simple.


After the party and everyone left, Jan Di turned to Ji Hoo. He was smirking at her.

"You weren't surprised, were you?"

Ji Hoo grinned, "Not a bit, sorry."

Jan Di pursed her lips and nodded, "But, it wasn't so bad, was it?"

"No, it wasn't bad at all. It was nice seeing everyone again."

"Forgive me?" she asked with a guilty smile.

He smiled, "Of course, thank you for the party, little otter." He kissed her forehead.

"Oh, I do have another surprise for you," she added with a grin.

He raised a brow at her, "You do?"

"Yes," she slipped her hand into his and led him off.

Jan Di guided Ji Hoo to the dining room, to the piano. She took a seat on the bench, using perfect form as Ji Hoo had taught her, and she encouraged him to sit beside her. Ji Hoo looked at her curiously before smiling and sitting down next to her. Their eyes met, and there was no space between them. Jan Di gave him a sweet smile and then placed her fingers upon the keys. She began to play a melody, one Ji Hoo was unfamiliar with, and his repertoire was vast.

Then, Jan Di began to sing. She sang of love. But it wasn't a sad love song, as she had sung at Joon Pyo's 20th birthday party. The song was sweet, romantic, and the words were beautiful. How had he never heard this song before?

Jan Di was focused; her voice was beautiful, and he could hear the emotion in it. He was completely enraptured. Ji Hoo was taking her in entirely as she sang, his eyes moving between her graceful fingers to her eyes, her face, her lips… And he was taking in the notes melding together into chords to produce pleasing sounds to his ears. And then there seemed to be nothing sweeter than the words that came forth from those enchanting lips that he loved so.

Before Ji Hoo realized, Jan Di had ended the song. Her hands rested in her lap, and she was looking expectantly at him.

"That was…beautiful…," he uttered, returning from his musical paradise.

"I wrote it," she said, glancing downward, "…for you."

Ji Hoo's lips parted, and his breath hitched, "You…wrote that…for me?"

Jan Di nodded. Ji Hoo felt as though he could cry, but that wouldn't be very manly of him.

He smiled at her affectionately, "But, when did you learn…to write music?"

Jan Di smiled, "I've known you for 8 years now. I've watched you compose music. We've sat at a piano together more times than I can count… You just assumed that I didn't pay any attention," Jan Di smirked at him.

He gave her a smile full of love and took her face in his hands, "You…are…amazing, little otter," and then he kissed her.

She smiled at him after their lips parted, "Happy Birthday!"

"Thank you," he shook his head in wonderment.

"Was it really OK?" she asked.

"It was…perfect…"

"Good," Jan Di breathed a sigh of relief. "I don't know about perfect, but I'm glad you liked it…it was really, really hard to write."

"Well, you did a great job. I'm impressed," he said.

Jan Di smiled. She'd been very hesitant about the song. She worried that she would make a mistake, that she would hit the wrong note or that a chord progression would be off, and his discerning ear would immediately notice it. And she worried that the lyrics would sound stupid, cliché, or sappy. She'd just written from her heart as best she could.

"What inspired you to do this?" he asked.

Jan Di bowed her head humbly, "Well, I just wanted to express how I feel about you…"

Ji Hoo gazed upon her. He lifted her chin and murmured, "My Wonder Girl," before capturing her lips in a searing kiss.

Ji Hoo broke the kiss and touched his forehead to hers. "May I hear it again?" he asked. She nodded, their foreheads still touching.

"Teach me?" he whispered.

Jan Di smiled. The melody was a simple one, and he'd probably already memorized it, but regardless she nodded, and they both put their hands upon the keys.