Yearning Hearts I

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Ga Eul sat with Yi Jeong on the plush couch in their home, as Yi Jeong gently caressed her protruding stomach and whispered sweet nothings in her ear. She turned to him, looking deep into his chocolate eyes, and he leaned in for a kiss. They had shared many a moment like this together, but now there was the added bliss of having two special blessings on the way.

Yi Jeong propped up Ga Eul's swollen feet on the ottoman and rubbed them for her, as he had on many other occasions. For a chaebol, he was quite inclined to serve her, Ga Eul thought, as he gently massaged her aching feet. And they talked about their near future as parents.

Ga Eul was mere days away from her due date. She had insisted upon teaching up until the very end of her pregnancy; Yi Jeong had finally convinced her to start her maternity leave. It had been difficult for her to leave work, for Ga Eul absolutely adored teaching. She had truly found her life's passion. She loved working with the children, seeing their bright faces, shaping their young minds. And being the kind and responsible person that she was, she didn't want to leave her students or the rest of the staff in a lurch, so she postponed her maternity leave as long as she could.

Ga Eul had taken her pregnancy in stride. Jan Di had warned her about what to expect, and Ga Eul had read up on it, so she felt prepared. That was not to say that pregnancy wasn't physically and emotionally difficult. But Ga Eul never complained, despite the vomiting, despite the days when her back or feet or both ached… After all, she had long since been molded by Yi Jeong into a strong, beautiful piece of pottery, one that he continued to perfect with his love.

Yi Jeong…, she thought fondly of her husband. He had stood patiently and lovingly by her side through it all: the late night cravings, the bouts of uncontrollable and roller-coaster type emotions…

But, the unpleasant aspects of pregnancy did nothing to lessen the intense joy Ga Eul felt at carrying her beloved So Yi Jeong's children.


Three days later, Yi Jeong had reluctantly gone to the museum for a meeting with some dealers, leaving Ga Eul home with the staff. Ga Eul had insisted that he go, practically forcing him out of the house, so that he could take his mind off the waiting and worrying. He was relieved that at least Jan Di had gone to stay with Ga Eul. It had been pointless, though, for Yi Jeong to attend the meeting, for he was completely distracted. He had a hunch that today was going to be the day.

And his hunch was correct. As soon as he finished with his meeting, Yi Jeong noticed a missed call and a message on his phone. Ga Eul had gone into labor and was now with Ji Hoo and Jan Di at their hospital. Yi Jeong rushed out of the museum, as if the devil was on his heels, and headed to the hospital. The whole time, his head was screaming, "I'm going to be a father!"


When Yi Jeong arrived, he was sent to a room, just as a nurse was preparing to wheel Ga Eul down to the delivery room. "Jagiya!" he called out to her and ran to her side, clasping her delicate left hand between both of his. Jan Di had been beside Ga Eul. She stepped aside for Yi Jeong.

"Yi Jeong, you made it," Ga Eul smiled sweetly up at him, and he leaned down to place a burning kiss upon her forehead.

"This is your husband, Miss?" the nurse asked, slightly incredulous.

"Yes," Ga Eul replied.

"I see," the nurse blushed lightly and smiled at Yi Jeong. But, the gesture went completely unnoticed, for Yi Jeong was far too focused upon his wife.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di wished Ga Eul and Yi Jeong luck and promised to be waiting for them. Jan Di threw up a fighting fist at Ga Eul as she was wheeled away. And Jan Di shouted a reminder to Ga Eul that she knew the obstetrician who would be performing the delivery and had warned her to take extra special care of her best friend.

Woo Bin and Ji Hye and Joon Pyo and Alex arrived shortly after. Grandfather had come, too. And the group anxiously awaited the arrival of the So twins.


In the delivery room, Yi Jeong had one arm around Ga Eul's small shoulders and held her hand with the other. Ga Eul was squeezing his hand, as she was instructed to push.

Yi Jeong continued to encourage her, alternating between instructing her to breathe and to push, as she brought their twin daughters into the world.

"The first baby is almost here; keep pushing," the doctor gently commanded and informed them that the head was crowning. Ga Eul felt a tingling sensation, as if one of her limbs had fallen asleep and was now beginning to wake.

"That's it; you're doing great, Jagiya! One more push; you can do it!" Yi Jeong dabbed the sweat from her forehead with his handkerchief.

Yi Jeong felt exhilarated and terrified all at once. His stomach was doing somersaults. He'd never experienced such an incredible rush in his life, not even during that time when he went skydiving with F3.

Ga Eul sqeeuzed Yi Jeong's hand tighter; her forehead scrunched, and she gave her all in one…last…push. Then, Ga Eul released her breath, and she and Yi Jeong heard the sound of crying, like the most beautiful music in the world. Their baby had arrived!

Before they could see her, she was taken away to be cleaned and examined. Yi Jeong beamed down at Ga Eul; he was very near tears now. "You are amazing," he whispered, as he placed a sweet kiss upon Ga Eul's forehead. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong stared into each other's eyes and volumes passed between them. But Ga Eul didn't have long to relax before she felt the twinge of contractions once more, and the doctor informed them that the next baby would be along any minute now. And Ga Eul repeated the process of birthing the second twin with the support of her true love.

The babies were cleaned and then presented to the new parents. Yi Jeong clasped Ga Eul's hand and they stared in awe at the beautiful creatures before them. Tears of joy began to cascade down Ga Eul's cheeks, as the babies were laid in her arms. Yi Jeong kissed Ga Eul tenderly and whispered "Saranghae" against her lips. He then placed kisses atop the heads of his daughters. And they were blissfully happy...

Ga Eul was transferred to a room to rest. Their family and friends had gathered, and Yi Jeong presented his daughters with a smile that could not be wiped. F3 began patting Yi Jeong on the back in turn and giving him noogies. Yi Jeong released a happy laugh.


Twenty minutes later, Yi Jeong was holding one of the tiny girls in his arms, the one they'd called Eun-Jeong, thinking he'd never known such a powerful love of this kind before.

Woo Bin was holding the other twin, named Yeong-Hui. The group took turns holding the babies. Finally, Jan Di got her chance to hold Eun-Jeong.

Jan Di had heard that every mother believes her baby to be the cutest of all. Jan Di thought this was silly. It was not a competition, though she had to admit that she was biased toward Seok-young. He was incredibly cute and beautiful, and yes, in her eyes he was perfect in every way. But Jan Di could appreciate the So twins's beauty, too.

The So twins were identifical and flawless. They seemed to possess the best of Ga Eul and Yi Jeong's features: Ga Eul's large, sweet eyes and her pure beauty and Yi Jeong's utter charm…and of course, those dimples!

Jan Di lightly rocked Eun-Jeong. She gazed upon her sweet face and rosy, dimpled cheeks, and imagined she could easily be a baby model. Then, she switched with Ga Eul and held Yeong-Hui, who was equally a masterpiece.


A week later, Jan Di was working at the hospital, performing a checkup on an elderly woman. The woman noticed Jan Di's swollen belly and gave her a wrinkled smile. "When is your baby due, my dear?" The old woman took Jan Di's hand and gave it a light squeeze.

Jan Di smiled and touched her stomach with her free hand. "She's due in a month, halmoni."

"Ah, it's a girl?"

Jan Di nodded.

"Is this your first child, dear?"

"No, second. I have a little boy, too. He's 10 months." The woman released Jan Di's hand, and Jan Di pulled out a picture of Seok-young.

"Oh, he's so cute!" the elderly woman squealed. "Look at that hair!

"Thank you," Jan Di replied with a smile.

"And is your husband a doctor, too?"

"Yes, actually. He's a surgeon at this hospital, chief resident actually." Jan Di still felt a strong swell of pride in her chest when she spoke of Ji Hoo and his accomplishments. She hoped she wasn't bragging too much, though.

"How lovely," the woman replied.


Ji Hoo was in the OR with his new intern at his side. The intern was being trained to take over for Ji Hoo temporarily while he was away in the military.

Ji Hoo's intern was a very intelligent, yet brash, 24 year old, fresh from medical school. He'd been so advanced that he'd graduated early.

"Well, looks like I beat your time on that procedure, Seonsaengnim," Park Seong-Ho turned to Ji Hoo with a haughty smile.

Ji Hoo grinned, "Your timing was very impressive, indeed… But you forgot one thing…," Ji Hoo pointed to a suture that he'd forgotten to finish tying.

Seong-Ho's smile quickly faded, "Oh, right…"

"That's why you don't get in too much of a hurry. Speed is important, but it isn't everything. Quality is much more important."

Seong-Ho was silent.

"So, I guess you didn't beat my time," Ji Hoo chuckled good-naturedly. Seong-Ho was still staring down at his mistake, looking as if the world had come to an end.

"But don't get discouraged. I'm sure you will beat my time someday. You're doing quite well. Just remember, it's not a contest." Ji Hoo slapped Seong-Ho on the back.

Seong-Ho scowled at Ji Hoo when he turned from him to discard his scrubs and wash up.


Jan Di continued with her checkup, taking the old woman's pulse. Jan Di released her frail wrist and glanced up. "Oh, there's my husband now," Jan Di motioned toward Ji Hoo, who was breezing by.

The old woman's mouth hung open for a moment, "Oh my…," she muttered, placing a withered hand to her face. Jan Di could swear she noticed the hint of a blush on her creased cheeks.

Jan Di had to stifle laughter. "Yes, that's pretty much the reaction he gets from most women…," Jan Di said. It got a bit annoying at times, how often women took notice of Ji Hoo. Jan Di had lost count of the number of envious and even downright dirty looks she'd gotten just for being with him. It no longer bothered her, though; they could hate her guts if they wanted. She'd made her peace with it.

"Nice catch, young lady," the old woman nudged Jan Di, and Jan Di chuckled.


Later that day, Ji Hoo and Seong-Ho walked down the hall and ran into Dr. Jang and Jan Di. Ji Hoo introduced them, but Dr. Jang had already met Seong-Ho.

"Jan Di, this is my new intern Park Seong-Ho. Seong-Ho, this is my wife, Dr. Yoon Jan Di."

Seong-Ho gave a short bow, "Yoon Jan Di."

"Hey, show a little respect. She's your elder and your superior, so call her Sunbae or Seonsaengnim, you knucklehead." Ji Hoo ruffled Seong-Ho's hair playfully, despite being rather irked by Seong-Ho's careless attitude toward Jan Di.

Seong-Ho cleared his throat. "Mianhada… I didn't know. Pleased to meet you, Sunbae," he bowed once more to Jan Di.

After Ji Hoo sent Seong-Ho off, he turned to Jan Di and Dr. Jang. "He's a good kid, really. He's smart as a whip and very talented, but I gotta keep him in line."

Jan Di chuckled. "Well, it'll be good practice for when Seok-young decides to rebel."

Ji Hoo gave a shudder and laughed, "Oh, don't say that. I'm not looking forward to that… I hope that day never comes."

Jan Di chuckled. She hoped for the same.


Ji Hoo was scheduled to be on base in two weeks, and their baby wasn't due for nearly another month. And unfortunately, Ji Hoo was not able to postpone his service any longer.

It was Jan Di's day off, and she was at home watching TV and stuffing her face with a rather large portion of japchae. Their little girl seemed to love the stuff. Jan Di shoved another bite into and suddenly felt a pain. She clutched her stomach. Jan Di had thought she had a contraction or two earlier that day, but she did not expect her little one to come so early, so she dismissed them as something else. Jan Di set down her chopsticks. She glanced down when she felt another sensation.

"Oh… Grandfather," Jan Di called out for him. Grandfather rushed in immediately when he heard his granddaughter beckon him.

"What is it, Jan Di-yah?" Grandfather hurried to her side, as fast as his aged legs could carry him.

"My water just broke." She groaned, "And I'm having contractions…"

"How far apart are they, Child?" he asked.


Grandfather believed the contractions to be too close together, so he told her there was not enough time to go to the hospital. Grandfather escorted Jan Di into the bedroom, laying down some extra protective coverings, and helping her into the bed. Grandfather quickly called Ji Hoo and prepared to deliver his granddaughter, himself, in their home.

Ji Hoo rushed home as quickly as he could and made it just in time for Jan Di to begin pushing. He went to her side and took her hand, gently guiding her through the patterned breathing. This was a new experience for both of them, in a way. The last birth had been a C-section and in a hospital on the operating table.

Ji Hoo could barely contain his excitement, but he was also terrified. He silently prayed that this birth would go much better than last time.


They didn't have all the equipment of the hospital, but Grandfather made do. And it wasn't long at all before their little girl decided to make her grand entrance.

"That's it, Jan Di-yah, keep pushing," Grandfather instructed, as he reached for the shoulders of the small girl.

"You're doing great, my love!" Ji Hoo encouraged, gently squeezing Jan Di's hand as she pushed and reminding her to breathe. He wiped away a sheen of sweat that had built upon Jan Di's forehead. With one last cry, Jan Di pushed hard, and their daughter came into the world.

Grandfather took the infant away, only briefly, to clean her and then handed her back to the awaiting arms of Jan Di. Ji Hoo wiped away Jan Di's tears, and father and mother stared down with a look of pure love, captivated by their beautiful little girl.

Their daughter had arrived! And they were ecstatic.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di decided to name her Mee-Yon, and she truly was just that. She was their beautiful lotus blossom. Sweet and lovely Mee-Yon

Mee-Yon had a tuft of obsidian hair and large, deep-set chocolate eyes that stared up with an intense curiosity. She truly was a beauty, a celestial angel, exemplifying her namesake much more than she did, Jan Di thought.

Ji Hoo placed a tender kiss upon Jan Di's forehead and then Mee-Yon's. And he whispered, "Saranghae," to his girls.

Jan Di chuckled. "Our Mee-Yon was eager to see the world, Ji Hoo-yah," she said, as she caressed Mee-Yon's soft cheek and smiled lovingly down at her.

"Yes, just like her mother, she comes and goes in her own time," Ji Hoo gave Jan Di an affectionate smile and delicately caressed Mee-Yon's silky mane and placed another kiss atop it.

"You know," Jan Di began, "…I think she just wanted to be sure to see her daddy before he goes off to the Army. So, she decided to come early," Jan Di sniffed and looked up at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo choked back the tears that were rapidly forming. "…Perhaps you're right, Jan Di-yah. Gomawo, Mee-Yon-ah…, my sweet little lotus, for the great pleasure of seeing you take your first breath."

Their friends and family had arrived now and began to crowd around the trio, as Grandfather looked on with moistened eyes, beaming proudly. In fact, there was no longer a dry eye in the room. Even F2 seemed to be struggling with their emotions.

Ji Hoo stared down into Mee-Yon's lovely eyes, eyes that mirrored Jan Di's. She was staring back, as if enchanted by him.

And in that moment, Jan Di knew that Mee-Yon had completely captured her daddy's heart, and he had captured hers. Jan Di could see it all now. He would be her firefighter, extinguishing the fires of her heart… He would be her protector, shielding her from harm and scooping her up to kiss away every boo-boo... And she would be his princess, his little lotus… No boy would ever be good enough for her and had certainly better not hurt her…


The following week, Dr. Baek finished lunch with a friend and colleague in the doctor's lounge.

"Mi-Kyung, I have a great guy for you!" her female colleague exclaimed, handing her a phone number.

Dr. Baek glanced at the name and number. "He's a doctor?" she asked after she finished chewing.

"Yes, naturally… Who else do we have time to meet?" she laughed. He works in radiology, and he's really attractive!"

Dr. Baek sighed and handed back the number to her slightly stunned friend.

"What's wrong? You haven't been on a date in a long time…"

"I don't date doctors anymore," Dr. Baek said simply, as she packed up her lunch and took her leave.


Ji Hoo was back at the hospital briefly to finish up some business prior to his deployment. He grabbed his briefcase and made his way to the psychiatric department, but instead he ran into Dr. Baek in the hall along the way.

"Oh, Dr. Baek, I was just coming to see you."

"Oh?" she asked, slightly flustered and doing her best to hide her pleasant surprise. "…Did we have an appointment?"

"No, I just wanted to let you know that I'll be away for two years for my military duty, so I wanted to pay in advance for Ha-Joon's sessions."

"Oh." This caught Dr. Baek off-guard. Ji Hoo pulled out a check and handed it to her. She hesitated before taking it. "Thank you."

"Ha-Joon seems more comfortable now, so I think that he will talk to you even if I'm not there," Ji Hoo assured, after sensing her unease.

Dr. Baek nodded. Ha-Joon had been opening up more and more and showing progress, so she had decreased the frequency of his sessions. "Yes," she put on a smile, "…Well, good luck to you, Dr. Yoon, and…take care." She held her hand out to him. Ji Hoo shook it.

"You too," he flashed his brilliant smile and bowed to her before taking his leave.


Dr. Jang had witnessed the interaction. He squinted over at Dr Baek, who was still standing there staring after where Ji Hoo had been. Dr. Jang approached her. She finally caught sight of him and greeted him. They were going the same direction, so they began walking together. They walked in silence for a time. Dr. Jang shot her a glance here and there. She seemed preoccupied.

"What's with you?" he asked, as they walked.

"Nothing..."

Dr. Jang studied her, still walking.

"What?" she asked, catching sight of his glance.

"Mi-Kyung, really?"

"What?"

"You're upset over Dr. Yoon leaving, aren't you?"

"Certainly not! I was just…surprised."

He looked at her knowingly.

"What?!" she demanded, stopping this time and facing him.

Dr. Jang rolled his eyes, "You have a thing for Dr. Yoon, don't you?"

"That's ridiculous! I don't have a thing! He's just…my friend, and I was surprised to hear that he's leaving, that's all…"

Dr. Jang didn't seem to be buying it.

"Anyway, look who's talking! You have a thing for the other Dr. Yoon!"

"Yea, well at least I admit it. And I'm doing something about it…"

She cocked her head at him curiously.

"I'm working to move past it. I'm dating someone now," he explained.

Dr. Baek nodded. "Oh, right… How's that going?"

"OK, I think…," Dr. Jang's brow furrowed slightly, as if he wasn't truly sure of his answer.

"Just OK?" Dr. Baek replied, "…How many times have you cancelled on her?"

Dr. Jang tightened his jaw. "Low blow," he muttered.

"I'm sorry… I really do hope it is going well, and I hope that you are happy."

She seemed to sincerely mean it. "I hope you're happy, too," Dr. Jang replied.

Dr. Baek nodded. A slightly uncomfortable silence passed between them before they said their goodbyes and took their leave of each other.


It was Ji Hoo's last night at home before leaving for the base. He would be gone for two years.

Two years!

Jan Di didn't know how she was going to stand it for that long, but at least she had the children to take her mind off it a bit. Thank goodness for them!

Ji Hoo had been doing his best to cherish each moment he had with Jan Di and the kids. It was crushing him that he would miss so much of their development, but Jan Di had promised to take loads of pictures and record videos. And they had agreed to regularly exchange letters and video chat as often as possible.

That evening, Ji Hoo, Jan Di, Grandfather, and the kids spent a quiet evening together at home. Ji Hoo sat on the floor playing with musical toys and blocks with Seok-young, who Jan Di had affectionately started calling Seok-y, and Jan Di was rocking and singing to Mee-yon. Jan Di kissed Mee-yon atop her head, and Grandfather traded places with Jan Di holding Mee-yon. Jan Di moved to the floor beside Ji Hoo.


That night, Ji Hoo and Jan Di put the kids down together. Ji Hoo took a long look at each of them in turn. Then, he and Jan Di prepared for bed. They slid underneath the sheets, and Ji Hoo pulled Jan Di against his chest.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered, placing a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

She gave his bare chest a light shove. "Don't start talking like that now…" Or you'll make me cry… She didn't want to get all sentimental on him. She wasn't sure how she would handle saying their goodbyes the next morning...

Ji Hoo chuckled. "You're not going to miss me then?" He ran his hands across her back.

"Of course I will!" and Jan Di snuggled in closer.

Ji Hoo tilted Jan Di's chin with a finger and gazed upon her, as if taking a mental image of her to keep tucked away for later. He looked deep into her eyes and lowered his head, pressing his lips to hers for a small, blissful eternity. He ran his hands down her slender arms and to her waist, pressing her more fully into him. Then, Ji Hoo moved on to attend to her neck. He curled a finger underneath each strap of her nightgown and slid them downward. He brought his lips to her shoulder, placing burning kisses there, and slowly, thoroughly moved across the expanse of her.


The First Year of Ji Hoo's Military Duty

 

Months 1-3

Jan Di gathered all her supplies for writing her first letter to Ji Hoo in the military. He had already been gone three days, and she'd been remiss. She had intended to write everyday, but she got busy. Feeling guilty about this, she sat down to write to him. She tapped her pen against the paper, pondering what she should say.


Dear Ji Hoo,

How are things going there? How are the barracks? Have you eaten? Is the food good? That's funny, right? I'm asking about the food. But you're not surprised, are you?

Jan Di paused, mid-ramble, and then continued.

Anyway, I don't want to waste your precious time on talking about food. The kids are doing great, so don't worry. Seok-y is crawling all over the place, and yesterday he was trying to stand up! I caught it on video. He's babbling a lot, too, so I don't think it will be long before he says his first word!

Mee-Yon is eating, sleeping, crying, and doing the other things that babies do a lot… But, she's still amazing! She's so beautiful… I can't stop staring at her, and sometimes I just get lost in her eyes. I really can't get enough of her, Ji Hoo-yah, even though she keeps me going! I'll include pictures in my next letter.

I miss you a lot… I can't believe that I have to wait two years to see you… It feels like an eternity! I show Seok-y and Mee-Yon a picture of you every day, so they will know what you look like well.

Please stay safe, and take care of yourself. We all miss you and love you. And we can't wait for our firefighter to return home!

Love,

Your Otter


Ji Hoo smiled as he read Jan Di's letter, feeling a bit misty-eyed, and he took out his pen and paper to write back.

"Hey Yoon!" one of his bunkmates called, "Time for chow. Let's go!"

"Coming," Ji Hoo replied. He stuck his pen and pad under his pillow. Then, he folded up the letter and placed it in his back pocket before following his fellow soldier.

Ji Hoo wrote back to Jan Di that evening. Jan Di literally jumped for joy when she received the letter from him. She eagerly tore into it, like a child ripping opening birthday presents.


Dear Jan Di,

How are you doing, my otter? Are you eating well? Sleeping well? I hope so. I don't want to come home to a malnourished, sleep-deprived otter... How are my baby otter and my little man?

My sleeping quarters are adequate. And the food here is not too bad. I'm not sure that it would live up to Connoisseur Jan Di's standards, though. I tease, my love. Seriously, it's not what I am used to, but it's good enough to nourish me. And that's all that really matters. But, I do miss my wife's home cooking.

Thank you for the updates, Jan Di-yah. I miss all of you so much, too. I miss my lotus, my tiny lotus, my little man, Grandfather, and even the crazy mutt. And it does seem like an eternity to be away from my family. I regret that I am missing so much already, and I know that I am only going to miss more, but thank you, Jan Di-yah, for recording those precious moments for me.

I hope that you are remembering to pace yourself, Jan Di-yah. I hope that you are taking care of yourself and remembering to stop and breathe.

Love,

Your Firefighter


Jan Di smiled, as she read the last part. Her firefighter was always looking out for her, even from a distance. She went back to the letter, anxious for more of his words, and she re-read it. Then, she tucked it away in a special box for safe keeping. She heard the soft cry of Mee-Yon coming from the next room, so her letter back to him would have to wait for a bit.


The following week, Ji Hoo finished drilling for the day and returned to his barracks. He lay down on his bed and pulled out the letter from Jan Di that had come in the package he received that day.


Dear Ji Hoo,

Now, I know you're lying about missing my cooking! It is not so good, so you are either trying to be nice or making a cruel joke… But I will let it slide this time, Yoon Ji Hoo! Oh, I received your clothing and personal items today… It made me feel a bit sad…

It was traditional for the military to send soldiers' clothes and items home to their parents, but since Ji Hoo's parents were no longer alive and he was married, the military had sent his items to Grandfather and Jan Di. Jan Di didn't want to say so, but in actuality, she had cried freely upon receiving his belongings.

Yesterday, Joon Pyo took Mee-Yon and Seok-y to the park with me. Joon Pyo was actually the one to suggest it! I thought he was joking! We had fun, though. You should have seen Joon Pyo in the sandbox with the kids, surely ruining his very expensive clothing, but he didn't seem to care. He actually seemed to be having fun with them. But then Seok-y threw sand in Joon Pyo's face; we gotta keep an eye on that kid… I thought Joon Pyo was going to lose it, but then he just laughed.

I thought about enrolling the kids in swimming lessons when they are a bit older. There was a sign for it at the community park, and it made me nostalgic for swimming…

What have your days been like? I hope you are doing well; I miss you!

Love,

Jan Di


Ji Hoo finished Jan Di's letter. Several of his fellow soldiers were asking him to join them for a game of soccer since they were all done for the day, but he decided to stay behind and write back to Jan Di.


Dear Lotus,

It's not true that your food is bad. I especially love your porridge! I am getting a cold and could actually use some right now.

I am glad that you had fun at the park with Joon Pyo, and I think swimming lessons are a great idea. Perhaps Mee-Yon will take over your swimming mantle, and we will be watching her perform in the Olympics someday.

My typical day starts with getting up at 4AM, which I'm used to given our schedule at the hospital. We drill and then patrol along the armistice line. I have had to stand guard a few times. It is quite boring, and I have to be careful not to drift off. That would not go over well, for my superior to find me asleep on guard, would it? Then, we usually have more training and are sometimes assigned to menial tasks, like cleaning the barracks. Then, our day ends at about 5. We eat dinner, and then we are free to do our own thing. My bunkmates like to sing karaoke and play soccer. They always try to get me to join, but I usually stay in to read or write to you. I have joined them for soccer a few times, but I refuse to go to karaoke.

There is the possibility for having visitors, but I need to get permission. Perhaps you and the kids could visit sometime. Though, I'm not all that thrilled about you being around some of these guys. They have mouths on them, for sure. I am also trying to earn a furlough.

I miss you all.

Love,

Ji Hoo


My Dearest Firefighter,

Do you like how I addressed you? It's not too cheesy, is it?

But, oh no, my firefighter is ill? It can't be! :( Should I send porridge for you? I wish that I could take care of you!

Aside from that, it would be amazing if Mee-Yon swam in the Olympics! I would be the proudest mother ever! Unfortunately for Mee-Yon, her mother peaked at competing against F4's Famous Casanova. But, it doesn't really bother me anymore. I have medicine, an incredible husband, and 2 amazing kids, so I'm happy! Not in that order, of course. You and the kids are tied for first place in my heart, and then medicine is after that. :)

We would love to come and visit, and I'm sure Joon Pyo, Woo Bin, and Yi Jeong would love to, as well! And I really hope you get that furlough!


Jan Di and Ji Hoo continued to exchange letters regularly. Jan Di was sending one every day or nearly every day. Occasionally, she would get busy or fall asleep in the midst of writing one. Or, sometimes she would fail to mail the letter due to her schedule and not making it to the post office in time. Ji Hoo was also writing as often as he could, but sometimes the letters were delayed.


Dear Ji Hoo-yah,

You've been gone for four weeks now. I feel like I'm dying here! Wow, that's so dramatic, right?

Let's see, updates… Well, Seok-y is has developed quite the sense of humor. He thinks it's hilarious when I bump into something or drop something. He laughs like crazy. Should I be offended that my son thinks it's funny when I get hurt? Well, anyway, I've been bumping into things on purpose now, just to make him laugh. I'm practically black and blue…

Oh, he threw his sippy cup at me the other day! Do you believe that? He just chucked it at my head! The kid has quite an arm on him. Maybe he's going to be a baseball player…

Mee-Yon is growing like a weed. Oh, Ji Hoo-yah! She smiled the other day! I was so excited! I rushed to get my phone. I snapped some pictures and got part of it on video for you. I'll show you at first chance. It was amazing; I wish you could have been here… But please don't let that make you feel bad.


The following week…

Dear Otter,

I just finished boot camp. I always considered myself to be in decent physical shape, until I got to boot camp, that is. It was a bit challenging, but I made it through. I was assigned to a base that is pretty nice, as far as bases go. There is an internet café, more of that damn karaoke, an arcade, and a soccer field.

As far as Mee-Yon goes, of course the daughter of Geum Jan Di is growing like a weed. A very beautiful weed, I am sure. And I am so excited to see her smile!

Ji Hoo did his best to hold back, but he soon felt a traitorous tear rolling down his cheek. He continued.

As for Seok-young, I hope that you'll find another way to make him laugh. I don't want to come home to a bruised up otter either. It would be nice if he did end up playing baseball, but remember to use the 'no' word with him when he behaves that way.

Yes, I regret missing all that I am, but you describe these events so well that I can picture them clearly in my head. And I can't wait to watch the videos. Thank you, Jan Di-yah.


Jan Di wrote back to Ji Hoo…

Dear Ji Hoo-yah,

Of course I knew you would make it through boot camp, my big, strong firefighter! And I'm so proud of you! And you should join them in karaoke because you have an incredible voice. I know you would feel embarrassed, though. You should play for them, at least. They are missing out on your talent!

I could hardly wait to tell you this, but Seok-y said his first word! He said 'Appa!' I'd been working with him on it, but it really didn't take him very long to learn it. I missed getting a video of it, but I got him to say it again, so I have the video to show you. It was the sweetest thing! I cried a little bit. Seok-y loves his appa so much!

Ji Hoo felt himself welling up. His son had spoken his first word. He'd said 'Appa,' and he missed it…


Ji Hoo was able to video chat with Jan Di once a week. It wasn't the most private setting, as he had to use the internet café, but Jan Di waited eagerly for this. She was always in the best of moods when this day came around. She loved being able to see his face and expressions.

Seok-young's birthday was fast approaching. It made Jan Di feel very nostalgic…

They are growing up so fast, Ji Hoo-yah…, she'd written in her last letter, I can't believe how fast it's happening… Ji Hoo had been comforting about it.

Jan Di thought of Seok-young. He was really beginning to look like a mini Ji Hoo. Not only was Seok-young a beautiful child and would, without doubt, be an extremely handsome man, but he seemed to have a talent for music. And to top it off, F3 had begun to dress him in the finest designer clothing, despite Jan Di's objections.

Jan Di could only imagine the girls swarming him like bees to honey when he got older… She envisioned a large group of squealing girls gathering as he walked into school, much as they had for F4 the first time Jan Di saw them all enter together. But Jan Di knew that her precious Seok-young would never behave as F4 did in the beginning, Ji Hoo excluded...


Jan Di and Ji Hoo were thrilled that Ji Hoo was able to attend Seok-young's first birthday party by video chat. She propped up her phone so that he could see. F3, Ga Eul and the twins, Alex, Ji-Hye, Jan Di's family, and Grandfather all joined. Jan Di had gotten a cake, and she put a little hat on Seok-young's head. Jan Di held him on her lap and Mee-Yon was strapped to her back, while she kept Fluffy at bay. And the group sang happy birthday to Seok-young.

"Saeng il chuk ha hamnida…

Saeng il chuk ha hamnida…

Sarang ha neun, Seok-y…

Saeng il chuk ha hamnida!"

They all clapped, and Jan Di helped Seok-young blow out his candles. Jan Di was so preoccupied with preventing Fluffy from the cake that she barely noticed Seok-young digging his chubby little hand into it. Seok-young snatched a fist-full of the creamy dessert and shoved it in his mouth, smearing most of it across his face in the process. Jan Di delicately took Seok-young's hand, grabbed a wipe, and began cleaning Seok-young's hands and face.

"Sorry about that, guys," Jan Di chuckled.

"He eats like his mother," Joon Pyo joked.

"Ya!" Jan Di smacked Joon Pyo on the arm. Joon Pyo turned to Alex who simply gave him a "serves you right." Everyone was smiling and laughing now, including Ji Hoo over the video chat.

Jan Di began to dish out the in-tact parts of the cake to the guests. "I'll do that, Miss," Ji Hoo and Jan Di's housekeeper interjected, taking over, while Jan Di tended to Seok-young and Mee-Yon.

The group continued with the birthday party, which included cake, presents, and play with the children. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong got down on the floor, and Eun-Jeong and Yeong-Hui played with Seok-young and Mee-Yon.

When Ji Hoo had to go Jan Di talked with Ga Eul. They exchanged stories of dual child-rearing, as well as pictures of their kids.


Months 4-6

Ji Hoo sat in his barracks, finishing a letter from Jan Di.

My dear firefighter,

Mee-Yon is grabbing anything and everything now, including my hair! She loves my hair… I got her a little doctor's kit, and she loves that, too, but she's not quite old enough to really play with it. Mostly, she just puts the objects in . She's making the cutest sounds now, though! I made a little recording of her squeaking, cooing, and gurgling. And I'm starting to try giving her some solid foods. Her favorite game right now is peek-a-boo. She smiles and laughs like crazy. I love her laugh so much, Ji Hoo-yah!

Oh, I enrolled Seok-young in a music school. I thought it was a bit early, but he's a natural musician, just like his daddy! You would be so proud of him, Ji Hoo-yah. The school is called the "Academy for Young Musicians." Are you familiar with it? When I heard the name, I admit I laughed a little. It sounded so formal. And they are very formal there. The woman there was actually a bit rude to me at first, until she heard my name, and then she was practically bending over backward to accommodate us.

I checked into several schools for Seok-y. His name would have probably been enough, but once Seok-young demonstrated his "musical skills" they were calling him gifted and fighting over him, literally fighting over him! Do you believe it? Fighting over a child of his age! I chose that school because it seemed to be the best. But I'm a little afraid that they are going to try to steal him away, turn him into some kind of musical prodigy, and take him on tour or something… Over my dead body! Not that I don't want to encourage his talent, but I also want him to have a childhood.


Ji Hoo chuckled at Jan Di's fervor and took out his pen and paper to write her back.

Dear Jan Di,

I can see it all in my head, Jan Di-yah. And I can hear Mee-Yon's laugh. It's the most beautiful sound in the world to me… I always think of you, Seok-young, and Mee-Yon before I go to sleep at night. It makes me happy and puts me right out…

The "Academy for Young Musicians," huh? Yes, I've heard of them, and yes the woman there is very snooty. Though I never experienced that directly. I was always treated well there. I am glad that Seok-young enjoys music and that you are allowing him to experience that. And I agree with you on Seok-young not going on tour just yet. Perhaps when he is older he will make that choice, but for awhile he should just be a child.


Six months had passed since Ji Hoo began his military duty. Ji Hoo had naturally been assigned as a medic for his special duty, so he was treating patients on the base, as well as going to several other locations to help out. He greatly preferred treating patients to drilling, patrolling, or grunt work. It was nice to actually be able to use his medical license to help others here.


As he lay in bed that evening, Ji Hoo pulled out a set of pictures that Jan Di had included in her last letter and added them to his collection. They were pictures of Seok-young and Mee-Yon, of course. Jan Di, herself, was in a group of them, as well. He assumed that these were taken by either Ga Eul or Joon Pyo. He noticed that the So twins were also in some of the pictures. This, and the writing on the back, confirmed that Ga Eul had been enjoying her favorite hobby, photography.

Ji Hoo thumbed through the pictures with a tender smile upon his face. There were pictures of Seok-young and Mee-Yon, by themselves and together, in different outfits. There was a photo of Seok-young in suit-and-tie and Mee-Yon in a beautiful yellow and blue polka-dotted dress.

Then, there were some of the kids playing at the park, Seok-young shoveling sand into a pail in the sandbox, Jan Di pushing Mee-Yon on the swings. Ji Hoo laughed when he noticed the one in which Joon Pyo had been captured on camera with a face-full of sand; Jan Di had included it for laughs. He wondered if Joon Pyo was aware of this incriminating photo.

Ji Hoo came across another and stared at it for a moment. It was one of Mee-Yon, smiling and wearing a pink flower bow, her eyes twinkling like the brightest stars in the night sky. Then there was one of Jan Di alone, smiling and looking absolutely dazzling. Ji Hoo smiled and wiped away a stray tear before tucking that one under his pillow.


Jan Di never seemed to miss capturing special events and holidays. She had taken the kids to see the cherry blossoms in the spring, so Ji Hoo had pictures of the kids surrounded by a curtain of pink and white blossoms. And now that Christmas was approaching, Jan Di had included photos of their children in holiday themed attire. There was one of Seok-young in a long green, red, and white striped stocking cap. And there was one with Seok-young and Mee-Yon in matching red and white velvet outfits.

He chose a new favorite picture of all three of them, one of Jan Di holding Seok-young and Mee-Yon on her lap, all decked out in red and green, and he tucked it into his pocket. He always kept a favorite photo of them on him, at all times. He alternated these photos out. It was always so hard to choose a favorite, though, and it changed constantly. In actuality, he loved them all.

Ji Hoo patted the precious photo within his pocket lightly to ensure its safety. And he told himself that he would be returning home to them soon... He was already counting down the days until he could be with them again.

Just then, Ji Hoo's sergeant entered. "Yoon," he said in a commanding tone.

Ji Hoo rose immediately and saluted him, "Yes, sir."

"I have an assignment for you."


Several weeks went by…

My Dearest Firefighter,

Work has been crazy, but I'm glad for that, in a way, because it helps to take my mind off how much I miss you. I really, really, really miss you! You have no idea how much…

Oh, speaking of work, I can't stand your little protégé, Park Seung-Ho! Mianhae, Ji Hoo-yah… I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he is just so…annoying. He is always bragging. I think he's trying to prove himself or something. He seems to look up to you, but I also think that perhaps he is really jealous of you. And now I think he is purposely trying to torture me… I feel like I'm telling on him, though. So, forget I said anything… Don't worry, I'll handle it.

Ji Hoo read Jan Di's letter with a hint of concern. He wondered how exactly his intern Park Seung-Ho was torturing Jan Di…


The weather had gotten cold, but not bitterly. Jan Di stood in the stairwell re-reading her latest letter from Ji Hoo on her break. She inadvertently smiled. She was so caught up in it that she didn't realize that Seong-Ho had stepped out onto the stairwell.

"Hello, Sunbae…," the voice of Seong-Ho came. There was always an edge to his tone when he called her sunbae. He somehow had a way of making it not sound respectful at all.

Jan Di jerked herself forcibly from her thoughts. "Oh, Park Seong-Ho. I didn't realize you were there. Sorry, I was a little preoccupied."

He smirked. "I can see that. Love letter?"

Jan Di scoffed. This kid is bold. "No, just a letter."

"Who writes letters anymore?" he smirked.

Jan Di scoffed. "It's from my husband in the military."

"Oh, right. Well, it's none of my business, Sunbae. Sorry for the interruption."

Jan Di thought he would leave but instead he leaned against the wall and stared out ahead. She wanted to demand that he leave, but it was a public stairwell after all, even though she did think of it as Ji Hoo's and her special spot. Jan Di begrudgingly tried to make polite conversation with him, but kept it brief.

"How is it going in surgery?"she asked.

"It's going great," he responded immediately, "Won't be long now til I surpass Dr. Yoon," he said matter-of-factly.

Jan Di squinted over at him for a moment. She decided to ignore him and focus on her letter. Seong-Ho lingered a few minutes longer.

Finally, he released a heavy breath. "…Well, it is way too cold out here," he rubbed his hands together, "I'm leaving first."

Jan Di breathed a visible sigh of relief that he was going.

Noticing this, Seong-Ho glanced back at her over his shoulder. "Don't stay out here too long, Sunbae."

Jan Di scoffed. Who is he to boss me around?

Seong-Ho met Jan Di's eyes and smirked. Suddenly, he did something completely uncharacteristic. He approached Jan Di, took off his scarf, and began to wrap it around her neck. Jan Di gaped at him.

"What are you doing? I..don't want this!" she attempted to remove the scarf, but he stopped her.

"You're a bit under-dressed, Sunbae…" he positioned his striped scarf around her neck once more.

Jan Di glanced down at her attire. She had a light coat on over her lab coat that hung slightly open and a hat, but she'd forgotten her scarf that day. "I really don't need it," she insisted, as she took off the scarf and shoved it roughly at Seung-Ho. He shoved it right back.

"Just keep it for now, and give it back to me later. You'll freeze if you stay out here like that." He gave her a quick, disapproving look up and down.

"Not that I care…," he added. Jan Di opened in preparation for a verbal comeback, but nothing came out.

Seong-Ho grinned. He turned and walked off, chuckling lightly. Jan Di glared after him for a moment, and then her anger gave way to confusion.

What the heck was that all about?


Later that day, Jan Di and Dr. Jang finished up with a patient and walked together down the hall.

"So, what do you think of that new surgical intern?" Dr. Jang asked, simply making conversation.

Jan Di made a face, to which Dr. Jang laughed in response. "I see you have a new nemesis," he teased.

"Seonsaengnim!" Jan Di exclaimed in mock hurt. Dr. Jang gave a hearty laugh.

"What do you think of him, Seonsaengnim?" Jan Di asked, turning the tables.

"Oh, well, I can't stand that kid," Dr. Jang replied, without missing a beat.

Jan Di smiled faintly. "I guess we're on the same page then…," she pursed her lips.

"I've only had a few dealings with him, but he's pretty obnoxious. I never thought I'd say this, but he makes me long to have Dr. Yoon back…," Dr. Jang added. Jan Di smirked and gave Dr. Jang a light shove.

Jan Di put a finger to her lips. "…I guess I should try to be polite to him, but I just know that the little punk is out to get my husband's job!" she was clenching her fist now. Jan Di sneered, "Not that he'll succeed."

"Of course not," Dr. Jang assured. "Dr. Yoon is a damn fine physician. They're not going to replace him. And even if the kid did somehow become better than him, which I doubt, they always need capable surgeons."

Jan Di nodded.


Months 7-9

Jan Di's latest problem was rather embarrassing. She was lonely… She told herself that she wasn't justified at all in being lonely. After all, she had her children, Grandfather, her family, her friends… Everyone had been so amazing, looking out for her, keeping her company. And of course, she had her work. Work kept her busy, and Dr. Jang had been good about making her smile and laugh and taking her mind off Ji Hoo, even if only for the briefest of moments.

They had all worked so hard to make Ji Hoo's absence more bearable. Even Joon Pyo had been a huge help, spending time with her, even helping with the kids…and she felt a bit guilty yearning for more…

But none of that could erase the fact that she missed Ji Hoo. She missed him almost constantly. She physically ached for him, actually. It was one thing to have the love and companionship of your family and friends, but it was another thing entirely to have the love of your husband.

And she longed for Ji Hoo sometimes, especially at night when she tried to sleep. She missed feeling his warmth beside her, being in his strong, loving arms… She missed his kisses, his caresses…and other things, too. She felt her face heat up at the thought.

Jan Di had been wearing one of Ji Hoo's shirts to bed every night. It still had the faintest hint of his scent upon it, even after being washed, and it somehow comforted her.


Jan Di blushed hotly at the thought of her last letter to Ji Hoo. She had been missing him and had been in a very needy mood, so she'd rambled on for pages, detailing how much she missed him and how often she thought of him. She had even gone so far as to tell him about a song she'd heard that reminded her of him. She recalled one of the lines from the song that stuck out to her.

And now that I'm without your kisses, I'll be needing stitches…

It was sappy, perhaps, but she was just in that sappy kind of mood. Jan Di's cheeks had turned pink, and she almost scribbled out that part, but for some reason she decided to keep it in. She added in a few remember that time whens, as well…


It's funny, the things you recall when you are missing someone…, Jan Di thought, as she lay in bed that night. She recalled a fight she and Ji Hoo had, of all things. She honestly couldn't remember what it was about, but she must have done something pretty bad for him to act the way he did. In that circumstance, Ji Hoo was the one being childish, for once.

They talked the issue out, and Jan Di thought it resolved, but oddly, Ji Hoo started giving her the silent treatment. Jan Di watched him go about his nightly ritual without so much as a word or a look to her. He finally met her eyes, and she smiled at him, but he didn't smile back. Her smile formed into a pout, as she watched him turn away and casually move around the room, taking his time preparing for bed. Jan Di decided that if he was going to be that way, then she wouldn't fight fair either.


She went to the closet and looked through her sleepwear options. She typically wore pajamas or a t-shirt and pajama bottoms. When it was a special occasion, or she wanted to impress him she'd wear something a bit more alluring, something with lace, satin, silk, or some combination of those fabrics. Lately, though, she hadn't really cared much about her appearance. In fact, she usually went to bed in a t-shirt and comfy sweats.

Ji Hoo was in bed reading. She shot him a glance, and she knew he noticed it, but he was clearly doing his best to ignore her. She tightened , pumped a fighting fist, and pulled out a black satin nightgown. She took it with her to the bathroom, casting her best enticing glance at him over her shoulder.

Ji Hoo's eyes followed after her. He was still a bit angry, but it was subsiding. He didn't intend to torture her much longer, but he was onto her little game and refused to give in so easily. When she exited the bathroom in y lingerie, he tensed. And he had to work very hard to focus upon his book and not her.

Jan Di lay down in the bed next to him. She sprawled out and placed her arm over her head, attempting to look appealing. She felt ridiculous, though. After all, she knew next to nothing about the art of seduction. She noticed his eyes flit in her direction before returning to his book. When he continued to ignore her, she inched closer. She sat up and put her arms around his neck, resting her chin on his left shoulder.

Ji Hoo felt the corners of his lips tugging at him, and he glanced down at her. "What are you doing?" he asked, doing his best to appear unaffected; however, this couldn't be further from the truth.

"Nothing…," she murmured in a cute voice, "Just watching you read…" At least the silence had been broken.

Ji Hoo nodded and returned his gaze to the book, still fighting that smile. Jan Di pursed her lips and then began to feather kisses down his neck. Her one weapon of war was that she knew Ji Hoo very well, including each sensitive area, so she knew exactly how to get his attention. As she tugged at his shirt and continued her downward course, Ji Hoo's eyes fluttered, and he felt himself rapidly spiraling into ecstasy. He released his breath and turned to watch her, slightly stunned by her boldness. Jan Di pulled her lips away and stared back at him, a playful glint in her eyes and the hint of a pout upon her rosy lips.

"Ahh, alright, you win!" he exclaimed before wrapping one arm behind her neck and the other around her waist. He proceeded to lower her to the bed and kiss her senseless.


Jan Di simultaneously smiled and blushed at the memory. They could never seem to stay mad at each other for long. They didn't even fight all that often. And the memory served to remind her of the romance she'd been missing.

A few days later, Ji Hoo's response to her letter of longing came. Jan Di read it that night in bed. She grinned from ear-to-ear and blushed like mad at Ji Hoo's response. He'd responded with equal passion, yet he had way more courage to write what he was feeling than she… And he'd written something incredibly romantic about missing her and what he would do if he were home. It was something she couldn't believe he was so bold as to actually put down on paper. What if someone saw that?

Regardless, she felt her heart beginning to pound like a drum. She gave a schoolgirl-ish giggle and clutched the letter to her chest, as her head fell back against the pillow. Then, she re-read it a few more times. She sighed and embraced herself tight, snuggling the letter against her chest as if it were actually him.


Months 10-12

Jan Di was home for the evening. She had just fed Seok-young and Mee-Yon and was now making dinner for Grandfather and herself. She rushed into the next room when she heard a crashing sound. Grandfather had stumbled and knocked over an end table. "Grandfather!" she called out and rushed to his side in time to catch him as he collapsed. She lowered him gently to the floor and then checked his vitals. He wasn't breathing. No pulse. Jan Di immediately began CPR.

Please Grandfather, don't do this! She pleaded, as she began pumping his chest to stimulate his heart. Then she breathed into him. She repeated the cycle twice until finally he responded.

"Oh, thank goodness!" Jan Di exclaimed. She closed her eyes and said a silent prayer, thankful beyond words that he was alive, and then she quickly went for her phone and dialed 119.


Jan Di had gone to the hospital with Grandfather in the ambulance. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong had graciously offered to watch the children.

Jan Di sat next to Grandfather's hospital bed, holding his wrinkled hand. Joon Pyo and Woo Bin were with her, but she wished Ji Hoo was there.

Dr. Jang entered the room with Grandfather's tests in hand. Jan Di looked up at Dr. Jang expectantly, still squeezing Grandfather's hand.

"He's going to be OK, Kiddo, but he'll need to take it easy for awhile."

"Thank goodness! What was it, Seonsaengnim? Heart attack?"

"Yes, a mild myocardial infarction. But the damage is not bad."

Jan Di exhaled and nodded.

"He'll need to take it easy, though. He needs to reduce his stress, and watch his diet."

"It's all my fault…," Jan Di muttered dismally. "I should have made sure he ate more healthily!"

"It's not your fault, Kiddo," Dr. Jang put a hand on her shoulder, while Joon Pyo stood protectively near. Jan Di still wore a guilty expression.

"Well, I'm definitely going to make sure he reduces his stress and eats right from now on!" She looked determined. Dr. Jang smiled faintly.


Several hours later, Grandfather had awoken and was of course grumbling about Jan Di being there. Despite his bravado, she knew he was actually looking out for her best interests above his own. Just like a Yoon. Jan Di respectfully reassured Grandfather.

Jan Di had informed Ji Hoo of Grandfather's collapse and his condition. Ji Hoo was of course very concerned and had insisted upon speaking with Grandfather. Grandfather spoke with Ji Hoo. Jan Di assumed that Ji Hoo was talking about trying to get a leave to come home and see him because Grandfather waved his hands and barked at Ji Hoo to not do that and stop worrying so much, saying he was fine. Despite the circumstances, Jan Di wished Ji Hoo would come home.

Dr. Jang informed Grandfather that he needed to take some time off work. Grandfather's brow furrowed, and Jan Di knew he was concerned about the Clinic. Without a thought, she volunteered to run the Clinic for him. Grandfather beamed at his granddaughter in admiration and appreciation. Then he grew stern.

"But what about your job here, young lady?" Grandfather protested. Dr. Jang looked to Jan Di.

"Well, this is important, so I'll figure something out. Don't you worry, Grandfather."

"But…," he continued to protest, "You can't run the Clinic all on your own…"

"I'll help her," Dr. Jang interjected, also without thinking.

Jan Di stared over at Dr. Jang. "Seonsaengnim, but what is the hospital going to do without you?"

"You just let me worry about that." Dr. Jang turned to Grandfather. "I greatly enjoyed the time I spent working at your clinic, Dr. Yoon. I'd like to help, if it's alright with you."

Grandfather nodded. "Thank you, Dr. Jang."


Jan Di had left the hospital and was now working full-time at the Clinic, at least until Grandfather got back on his feet. Jan Di kept Ji Hoo updated on Grandfather's health, which had begun to improve, as well as on the status of the Clinic. Jan Di and Ji Hoo talked of Grandfather a lot. Most recently Jan Di had informed Ji Hoo of Grandfather's desire to take Seok-young fishing when he got a bit older. Jan Di wiped a tear, hoping he would be able to fulfill that wish.

Circumstances aside, Jan Di rather enjoyed being back at the Clinic. She'd missed it. Life was busy and hectic, but Joon Pyo and F2 had been very helpful. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul were often busy with the babies, but they would bring them over for play-dates, or Jan Di would take Seok-young and Mee-Yon there, or they'd all go to the park together. Lately Joon Pyo had been dropping by the Clinic to take Jan Di to lunch, so she had a lot of support.

And of course Dr. Jang had been a life-saver. She could never have run the Clinic without him.


A few weeks later, Jan Di received another letter from Ji Hoo. She bid her last patient goodnight and sat on the bench in the waiting room to read it.

Dear Jan Di,

I wanted to let you know that things have picked up here, and I may not be able to contact you as often. I won't be able to video chat with you for awhile, and I may not even be able to write to you much… Mianhae, my love… I will be in contact as soon as I am able. I miss you all, and I love you so much. I hope to see all of you soon… Please, take care and be happy…

Love,

Ji Hoo

Jan Di read Ji Hoo's brief letter over again. It seemed a bit…strange. And then she noticed that at the end his writing became shaky, almost illegible. This was not like Ji Hoo at all, whose writing was basically flawless. Perhaps he was just rushing, but it gave her a very bad feeling…

He won't be able to write for awhile…, she thought sadly. Well, I just have to it up and be strong. After all, he'll be home in 390 days. It wasn't exactly a comfort, though. It sounded like such a long time.

Jan Di pulled the lotus necklace that Ji Hoo had given her in Greece out from inside her shirt and stared at it. She ran her fingers delicately over it.


Joon Pyo received a letter from Ji Hoo that same day. Ji Hoo had sent Joon Pyo a few letters over the past months, stating that he was simply checking in. Joon Pyo hated to write letters. It felt like a burden, but he always wrote Ji Hoo back. He would keep it simple, reassure him that things were fine and that he was looking out for Jan Di, Seok-young, and Mee-Yon, and sometimes give him crap.

Joon Pyo leaned back in his chair at the office, sliced open the letter with a letter opener, and began skimming through it.


Dear Joon Pyo,

I hope that all is well with you and everyone there. I know that you don't like responding to letters and find it pointless, but don't worry. There is no need to respond to this one. I just need you to hear me out.

Joon Pyo paused, noticing the writing trailing off and becoming like tiny scratches. Joon Pyo squinted down at the letter. Usually his writing is so annoyingly perfect, he thought. Joon Pyo continued reading.

Joon Pyo, I am being sent to an area that I cannot disclose, but it is a rather unstable area, one that has been ravaged by war and death. I am being sent to aid the people there because of my medical training. Communication may be sparse once I get there, so I need to say this now. I have a favor to ask of you... I don't expect that you will need to deliver on this favor, and I truly hope not, but…if something should happen to me…will you…look after Jan Di and my family for me? It has to be you…

And please, don't tell Jan Di this. I should be safe, and I don't want her to worry unnecessarily. I've already informed her that I may be out of touch for awhile. I don't know how long, though… I am sorry to ask this of you… Thank you, chingu…

Love, your brother,

Yoon Ji Hoo


Joon Pyo's brow wrinkled, as he re-read the last few lines, which appeared to have been written with a highly shaky hand.

Joon Pyo crumpled the letter in one hand and placed the other on his forehead, rubbing it.

"What?! Aish, you idiot! What are you talking about?!"

Joon Pyo uncrumpled the letter and read it once more. "…look after Jan Di and my family… It has to be you… Love, your brother…"

"Why is he so damn sentimental all of a sudden?! And why would he ask me such a thing?! Does he think he's going to…?"

Joon Pyo clenched his forehead. It was driving him crazy that Ji Hoo would say such things and not even disclose his location to him. Perhaps he would just have to find out. Joon Pyo folded the letter and shoved it into the pocket of his coat.


Two Weeks Later…

Joon Pyo could never be mistaken for a patient man. Anyone who met him knew this within 5 minutes. After reading Ji Hoo's letter, he couldn't let it go. He needed to investigate and find out where Ji Hoo had been sent. Through his connections, Joon Pyo found out. And what he discovered nearly knocked him to the ground. He found out Ji Hoo's last known location only… Ji Hoo had been considered MIA (Missing in Action).

This was not acceptable at all to Joon Pyo! And he went to Ji Hoo's base to confront his sergeant. Joon Pyo nearly got himself arrested arguing with the unit's sergeant before being informed of the situation. Joon Pyo found out that Ji Hoo had been trying to save a young girl and had been separated from his unit in hostile territory.

One of the men from Ji Hoo's unit came forward. He'd been there with him when it happened. Joon Pyo grabbed him roughly by the collar of his fatigues and shook him.

"How the hell could you have lost him? Aren't you guys supposed to stick together or something? Never leave a man behind or some crap like that?!"

"Mianhada… The jungle there was very dense, and he just rushed off after the girl. We tried to locate him for days. But, we haven't given up. We're still looking."

"Aish, you idiot!" Joon Pyo gave the soldier one last shake and released him, gripping his forehead tight.

Joon Pyo vowed right then and there that he would locate Ji Hoo, even if he had to go himself. "I'll take my own damn helicopter and find him myself!" he shouted at the soldiers when they refused to involve him in the rescue mission.

"That would be incredibly foolish," the sergeant replied, "That is, unless you feel like dying… We're actively searching for Private Yoon. We're doing everything we can."

But that wasn't good enough for Joon Pyo. He left the base in a huff and headed for the Yoon household. He didn't know if she knew, but he suddenly felt the need to check on Jan Di.

A/N: Thoughts? Thanks for reading! :)