Paris

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

The Paris trip was only a few days away. Ji Hoo and Jan Di had informed Seo Hyun together of their upcoming trip, and she was thrilled. She'd insisted upon picking them up from the airport, despite Ji Hoo's insistence that she didn't need to. Seo Hyun had been eager to show them the city, but she was understanding of it being their anniversary trip. So, she settled for dinner plans with them the night of their arrival.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had been working like crazy during the past two weeks leading up to their trip, and they hadn't seen each other much. Honestly, they hadn't seen each other much in the past few months. Perhaps that was why Jan Di had failed to tell Ji Hoo right away about seeing Joon Pyo, or so she justified to herself.

Joon Pyo had expressed to Jan Di that he wanted to be friends, and Jan Di had told him that of course they could be friends. She told Ji Hoo about it, and he'd been supportive of it. He'd said little, not wanting to be an overbearing husband and wishing to prove to Jan Di that he did indeed trust her and that he was secure in their relationship.

Ji Hoo had gone back and forth on whether or not to mention to Jan Di that Alex had paid him a visit and expressed concern over Jan Di and Joon Pyo's friendship. Hopefully Alex and Joon Pyo would work it out amongst themselves. Ji Hoo didn't like keeping things from Jan Di one bit, but at the same time, he didn't want her to feel bad or suggest that she'd done anything wrong. So, he decided not to say anything about Alex for the time being. Alex coming to him with such a concern had been a ridiculous notion anyway!

Joon Pyo had been very busy since his return to Korea, but he had been texting and occasionally calling Jan Di when time allowed. Jan Di always told Ji Hoo about this. She didn't want to have any secrets from him, and she felt especially guilty for not telling him right away about meeting up with Joon Pyo. Ji Hoo would notice whenever Joon Pyo called if he was around, but he would keep silent and fight off any temptation to eavesdrop. And occasionally Joon Pyo would ask to speak with Ji Hoo.


Jan Di had a brief conversation with Dr. Jang about the trip prior to leaving, which consisted of Dr. Jang quipping, "Paris, huh? How romantic…"

Jan Di had ignored his not-so-subtle sarcasm and asked, "Have you ever been, Seonsaengnim?"

And Dr. Jang had replied, "No. Have a good trip; bring me back an Eiffel Tower paper weight." And they left it at that.

It was a very brief conversation.


Jan Di sat next to Ji Hoo on the plane and pulled out her medical text. Her KMLE was fast-approaching, and she was beginning to freak out. Ji Hoo glanced over at her from his novel and smiled. He wasn't really surprised she'd brought study materials along.

"You're really going to study on our vacation, little otter?" he asked with a grin.

Jan Di sighed, "Oh, I have to! My medical licensing exam is coming up so quickly…"

"OK, but just on the plane. When we get there, you need to relax and enjoy yourself," he ordered.

Jan Di nodded, gave a Thumbs Up, and went back to her text. Ji Hoo smiled and returned to his book with a good-natured shake of his head.

After an hour or so, Jan Di began to droop. When she wavered near falling face-first into her book, Ji Hoo quickly steadied her and took the hefty text away. He gently positioned Jan Di back against the headrest of the seat. Then, he crossed his arms contentedly and dozed off himself.

After the nearly 11 hour flight, they arrived at Charles de Gaulle Airport. They de-planed and headed toward baggage claim to meet up with Seo Hyun. Seo Hyun had been overly excited about their arrival and decided to be cute. So, she held out a sign with Jan Di and Ji Hoo's names on it, as if she'd never met them before. Jan Di grinned upon seeing this and called out to her, "Unnie!" she waved.

Seo Hyun smiled and gave a vibrant wave back. She approached Ji Hoo and Jan Di, eager yet poised as always. It came as no surprise to Jan Di that Seo Hyun looked absolutely perfect. She put a hand on each of Jan Di's arms and greeted her in the typical French custom of faire la bise, a kissing of each cheek. Jan Di stiffened in surprise. It was not actually a kiss, Jan Di noted, but rather a brushing of cheeks and puckering the lips at the air. This did seem preferable, though. After her French greeting, Seo Hyun squeezed Jan Di tightly and turned to Ji Hoo. She hugged him more casually and then did a fare la bise with him.

"I never did like that custom," Ji Hoo commented with a wry smile.

Seo Hyun laughed. "Neither does Joon Pyo. When I met up with him he nearly freaked out when I did that to him." Jan Di and Ji Hoo chuckled upon picturing the scene.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di grabbed their bags off the baggage carousel. "I'm so glad to see both of you!" Seo Hyun gushed and linked arms with Jan Di. Ji Hoo slung his cream colored duffel over his shoulder and took Jan Di's wheeled suitcase and pulled it along after them.

"We're glad to see you, too, Unnie," Jan Di said. "Thank you for picking us up."

"Of course! I'll take you to your hotel. You can get settled, and then I'd like to take you out to dinner."

Seo Hyun led Ji Hoo and Jan Di to her car, and they all got in. Along the way Seo Hyun dominated the conversation. She told them how disappointed she'd been when she couldn't make it to their wedding. Jan Di and Ji Hoo recalled the rather large, expensive painting that Seo Hyun had gifted them with that currently hung in their living room. Seo Hyun was known for her expensive gifts; Jan Di recalled her giving Ji Hoo a horse for their first Christmas together. They'd sent her a thank you card, but Jan Di thanked Seo Hyun again in person for the gift.

Seo Hyun's driver took them to their hotel, and the three agreed to meet in the lobby at 7PM to go to dinner. Seo Hyun mentioned that she'd invited her boyfriend along and that she hoped that was OK. Jan Di and Ji Hoo assured her that it was fine.


The hotel room was fabulous. Joon Pyo had insisted they stay at Shinhwa's hotel, and they'd agreed. Ji Hoo and Jan Di checked in and went to their room. Despite sleeping some on the flight, they were quite jetlagged, and they collapsed into the ultra-soft silky sheets of the gigantic bed. Ji Hoo wrapped his arm around Jan Di, and she laid her head against his chest.

"I want to take a nap," she mumbled into his shirt.

"That's my line," he joked.

"Well, we only have…" Jan Di grabbed Ji Hoo's wrist to look at his watch. He'd already changed it for the time difference. "45 minutes…"

"That's long enough," he said, closing his eyes and hugging Jan Di tighter with both arms.

"I don't know…we don't want to fall asleep for too long…," she said. He didn't respond but simply held her there. "…So, is this dinner going to be fancy?" Jan Di asked, realizing she should have inquired where they were going, but she didn't want to be rude.

"Probably," Ji Hoo remarked, his eyes still closed.

Jan Di groaned, "So, I have to get dressed up?"

"You can wear whatever you want, darling," he replied drowsily, squeezing her a bit tighter.

You're not helping… She sighed.

It was extremely tempting to remain there with him, but Jan Di made up her mind and after a moment wriggled out of his hold. Jan Di sat up and poked Ji Hoo's arm. "You can't fall asleep," she reminded him.

"10 more minutes…," he mumbled, eyes shut tightly.

Jan Di shook her head and clawed her way out of the giant trap of a bed. She went to her luggage and looked through her clothing. She picked out a suitable looking dress that thankfully she'd brought just in case and went to the bathroom to change.

"Wow!" she exclaimed upon seeing the huge marble sanctuary that was the bathroom.

Jan Di dressed and allowed Ji Hoo to sleep a bit longer. After about 10 minutes she returned, and he was dormant. She leaned over the bed and shook him lightly. He didn't budge. Oh no, he's in full hibernation mode…

Jan Di said his name a few times and then shook him again, harder this time. Nothing… She pursed her lips and pondered as to the most effective way to wake him. An idea came to mind. She climbed onto the bed, sat on her knees, and leaned in to give him a peck on the cheek. Still nothing… Then she gave him a peck on the lips. He stirred but his eyes remained closed. She kissed his lips once more. Finally he sighed pleasantly and opened his eyes. She now had an arm on each side of him and was leaning over him.

He looked up at her longingly and brushed a strand of hair from her face. Then he grinned and pulled her down, capturing her once more.

"Oh, Ji Hoo-yah! There's no time to get all cuddly!" she half-heartedly struggled, but she couldn't stop a smile from forming, for it was all too pleasant.

"OK…," he conceded with a sigh, thoroughly disappointed that he couldn't entice her to remain imprisoned with him. Ji Hoo sat upright. He went resolutely to his luggage, pulled out a suit, and went to change.

"Nice bathroom, huh?" she called from the next room.

"Yes, it's nice," he called back, "You'll have to give Joon Pyo your approval." He knew she would likely talk to him first.

Ji Hoo came out 5 minutes later fully dressed and immaculate. Jan Di sat on the bed, dangling her feet, and smiling at him. "You look nice," she said.

He smiled back, "So do you. That was a good choice," he motioned at the dress. She was glad he approved.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo met up with Seo Hyun in the lobby, and she took them to one of her favorite Parisian restaurants. As expected, it was upscale and lavish, and Seo Hyun was practically treated like a celebrity. They were taken to a table in front of a large picture window overlooking the river Seine and with an incredible view of the Eiffel Tower. The tower was lit up casting tiny fireflies of light over the river.

"Bonsoir, Mademoiselles, Monsieur…" the waiter bowed to the group, and they bowed back in turn. Seo Hyun greeted the waiter or serveur in beautiful French. The serveur pulled out chairs for the women, and they were seated. Ji Hoo sat next to Jan Di, and Seo Hyun sat across from her.

"Well, I guess my boyfriend is running late…," Seo Hyun commented after checking her phone. She seemed disappointed but quickly bounced back. Wine was brought. Jan Di stuck with water. Seo Hyun proposed a toast to her favorite couples' anniversary, and the three clinked crystal glasses together.

Seo Hyun talked of her work. She was a partner now at an esteemed law firm in Paris, as well as a model at a large modeling agency. She also did her best to keep up with her charity work. Her current project involved raising money for underprivileged schoolchildren.

"When do you find time to sleep, Unnie?" Jan Di asked, amazed by the woman she still considered a role model.

Seo Hyun chuckled, "Well, it's not always easy, but I make do."

"You're amazing, Unnie," Jan Di muttered in awe.

"Me? What about you two? The big time doctors!"

"Well, I'm not one quite yet, Unnie. I'm just a lowly intern. Ji Hoo is the big time doctor here. He's an amazing surgeon!"

Ji Hoo smiled at his wife and gave a humble shake of his head. He looked to Seo Hyun. "I'm only a second year resident; I still have a lot to learn," he turned back to Jan Di, "And you're amazing at what you do, Jan Di," Ji Hoo smiled tenderly at Jan Di and squeezed her hand against the white linen tablecloth.

Jan Di smiled at Ji Hoo then looked to Seo Hyun, who was beaming at the two of them.

"I'm studying for my licensing exam in a few weeks, Unnie." Suddenly Jan Di felt the panic rising in her chest thinking about the exam, despite their beautiful and exotic locale. "I might fail, though…," she said, dropping her head slightly.

"You won't fail," Ji Hoo assured. He brought her hand to his lips and placed a tender kiss on it. Jan Di smiled back lovingly.

Seo Hyun gazed at them from across the table. "You two are just so adorable!" It didn't sound condescending but completely sincere. "I'm so glad that you two are together now," she rested her face in her hand, "I had a feeling about you two… You really do make a perfect couple."

Ji Hoo and Jan Di smiled, and Jan Di glanced down briefly at the cloth napkin in her lap. "Thank you, Unnie," Jan Di looked up again and smiled appreciatively at Seo Hyun. Seo Hyun had always been so genuine and gracious toward her.

"Oh, there's my date now," Seo Hyun said, as the serveur escorted a man toward their table. He was stunningly handsome, with sky blue eyes, a prominent European nose, and a strong jaw. He was thin-lipped and his dark brown hair was slicked back. He was dressed as impeccable as Ji Hoo, but in a French designer label of darker color.

Seo Hyun greeted him, "Leo!"

The man greeted Seo Hyun with a "Bonsoir, mon ange," and smooched her. Ji Hoo and Jan Di exchanged a glance.

"Leo Bouchard, these are some very good friends of mine visiting from South Korea, Ji Hoo and Jan Di Yoon," Seo Hyun turned to Ji Hoo and Jan Di, "Leo also works at the modeling agency with me."

"Ah, je suis très heureuse de faire votre connaissance," Leo stuck out his hand to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo shook it. Then Leo took Jan Di's hand, "Enchanté," and placed a kiss upon it. Jan Di gave an awkward smile and a short bow of her head. Ji Hoo was not thrilled by the greeting but he hid it well.

Despite the overly friendly greeting, it didn't take long for Jan Di and Ji Hoo to realize that Leo was a complete snob. He bragged about his new Pierre Cardin suit, his home, cars, and other matters of wealth. He was critical of everything, from what she could tell, the food, the wine, the service… Jan Di imagined he would have fit in nicely with the old F4. Seo Hyun and Ji Hoo translated some for Jan Di, but some things required no translation. Leo even argued with Seo Hyun at the table right in front of them. Ji Hoo and Jan Di did their best to pretend they didn't notice, for politeness' sake, and focused upon their food.

On the way back to the hotel from dinner, Ji Hoo was quiet and appeared pensive. Jan Di wondered if perhaps Leo Bouchard had gotten to him, too. She decided to let him be. When they got back Jan Di and Ji Hoo almost immediately passed out for the night.


Seo Hyun had been eager to see Ji Hoo and Jan Di once more and had asked to take them to breakfast the next morning before their sightseeing in Paris. She took them to a favorite Paris sidewalk café of hers called C'est La Vie in the Le Marais neighborhood. Seo Hyun's driver dropped the three of them off and they walked along the cobblestone street lined with potted flowers of various colors. The café was small and charming with no sitting room inside; everyone sat outside. The café was attached to a boulangerie, and Jan Di caught the intoxicating scent of freshly baked bread and pastries. They ordered croissants and café au lait, as they chatted and gazed out onto the street. Seo Hyun explained that she rarely had time for this, but she truly enjoyed sitting there and watching the people pass by, which was part of the appeal of the sidewalk cafés.

Twenty minutes into breakfast Seo Hyun got a call. She stepped away from the table. Jan Di and Ji Hoo could hear a portion of her conversation. "No, absolutely not! I have friends in town, and I'm spending time with them right now."

"I understand…," She sighed, hung up, and returned to the table.

"Jan Di, Ji Hoo, I'm so sorry, but I need to stop by my law firm briefly. Would you mind?"

"Of course not, Unnie," Jan Di said.

"That's no problem," Ji Hoo added.

"Thank you. I'm so sorry about this!"

They quickly finished breakfast and were driven to Seo Hyun's firm. She took them up, and they waited in the immense waiting room. She carried a briefcase in and came back about twenty minutes later.

"OK, all done. Thank you for your patience, you two," she beamed at them and gave them a quick bow.

They left and Seo Hyun offered to drop Jan Di and Ji Hoo off at the Place de la Concorde. They sat in Seo Hyun's car, Jan Di between Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun.

Seo Hyun got another call in the car. She sighed, "It's the modeling agency now…"

"What? OK, fine…," Seo Hyun said calmly on the phone.

"Unbelievable," she muttered after hanging up. "Again, I'm so so sorry you guys, but I need to make another stop before dropping you off…"


Jan Di and Ji Hoo assured it was fine, and the three stopped off at the renowned modeling agency Seo Hyun worked for. They stepped inside to the sound of a raspy French vocalist playing over the speakers and chaos. The place was not extremely large in size but was bustling. Ji Hoo grabbed Jan Di by both arms and pulled her aside when one of the photographers rushed by and nearly ran into her. Everyone was scrambling, Seo Hyun explained, because there was a photo shoot to be completed that day and a fashion show the next evening. Seo Hyun excused herself and spoke with the man in charge of the shoot. Then she went back to Jan Di and Ji Hoo.

"It seems that one of our female models quit suddenly and another is sick, so we have to find two more female models."

"I'm going to fill in for one of the models, but we still need a second," Seo Hyun sighed and looked at Jan Di with pleading eyes. "I know that you two are planning to see the city and have limited time…and I know this is an imposition, but would you consider standing in for the photo shoot, Jan Di? It will only take an hour or two…I'm so sorry to ask this of you…"

Jan Di looked sheepishly at Seo Hyun, "But Unnie, I'm no model…," Jan Di paused, "Well, I actually did a modeling shoot once, but it was just for the money…"

"You modeled Jan Di?"

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw, recalling that time years ago. He could feel his insides beginning to boil at the thought of Haje kidnapping Jan Di, and he would've very much liked to have done more than twist his arm for harming her. Despite all that, he remembered catching a glimpse of Jan Di looking extremely beautiful in the magazine, her short hair crimped and wearing a white t-shirt, shorts, and heels. In a way, he wished he had a copy of it. But looking at it would likely only make him angry once more. He supposed he could have destroyed the portion Haje was in.

"Well, yes, but like I said it was just for the money, and I wasn't very good at it…I'm definitely not pretty enough for this shoot…" Jan Di glanced around at the leggy models surrounding her.

"Nonsense, Jan Di! Of course you are!" Seo Hyun clasped her hands together, "Please, Jan Di, it'll really help me out…"

Jan Di pursed her lips. "Well, if it'll help you out, Unnie…and you really think I'll be OK to do it…"

"Oh, thank you!" Seo Hyun pulled Jan Di into a tight hug. An assistant approached Seo Hyun and whispered something to her after she released Jan Di.

Seo Hyun sighed, "It seems Leo has been detained, so now we need a male model, too..."

Jan Di and Seo Hyun simultaneously turned to Ji Hoo. He squinted at them. "Don't even think about it…"

Seo Hyun gave a small pout.

"It didn't work the last time you tried to get me to model, did it?" Ji Hoo smirked at Seo Hyun and folded his arms across his chest.

Seo Hyun nodded and likewise crossed her arms. "Alright, I suppose I can find someone else to be Jan Di's partner, but…," Seo Hyun shot Ji Hoo a sly look, "The theme is "Blossoming Love," you know… Who better than two actual lovers? And you don't really want another man posing with Jan Di for a love concept, do you?"

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw and then groaned. Very well played… Seo Hyun smiled hopefully.

Jan Di looked to Ji Hoo, doe-eyed, and he was putty. He sighed, "Alright, fine, I'll do it."

The girls and Ji Hoo were taken off in different directions to get changed. Seo Hyun led Jan Di to the women's dressing room. Jan Di averted her eyes from several models, who were walking around in their undergarments, completely unphased. Seo Hyun took a seat, and an assistant began to make her up. Jan Di was whisked off by another female assistant and placed in a chair. The assistant moved at the speed of light covering Jan Di in makeup, as another did her hair, and then she was tossed a dress and told to put it on.


Seo Hyun stepped out of the dressing room first wearing a flowing Chanel gown and with her hair up in an elegant bun. Ji Hoo was already out waiting with his hands in the pockets of the Yves Saint Laurent cream colored suit he was wearing. He gave Seo Hyun a faint smile and she stood next to him.

Then, Jan Di came out dressed in a short pink and black floral Dior gown and 4 inch heels. Seo Hyun and Ji Hoo caught sight of Jan Di. Seo Hyun graced Jan Di with a wide smile, and Ji Hoo beamed proudly. Jan Di met their eyes and glanced downward, as she slowly shuffled along as best she could in the heels. Seo Hyun gasped when Jan Di stumbled, but Ji Hoo immediately rushed to her side and steadied her. He held out his arm to her and she thankfully wrapped her arm around his, and he escorted her back for her protection.

The Parisian fashion suited Jan Di and Ji Hoo well, and they received more than a few compliments. Jan Di was relieved that they weren't asked to wear anything too wild. Jan Di and Ji Hoo were instructed through a series of poses: Ji Hoo with his arms wrapped around Jan Di, Ji Hoo holding her chin in his hand, Jan Di laying her head in his lap on a couch, the two of them studying together with reading glasses on.

"Vous êtes naturals!" the photographer had exclaimed once when Ji Hoo and Jan Di posed together.

The models were taken outdoors and were posed near a large fountain with a view of the Eiffel Tower in the background. The models were posed in various strange positions with props, and Jan Di and Ji Hoo were thankful they did not have to do this. Then, Jan Di and Ji Hoo were instructed to appear as if kissing under an umbrella.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo did not mind the closeness of the poses, but it was a bit tedious when they had to hold a position for a long period of time or tilt their heads a certain way and freeze. Regardless, Jan Di actually began to have fun, and she felt comfortable given that her modeling partner was Ji Hoo. She felt more relaxed when he'd give her arm a light squeeze or rub it lightly with his thumb between shots.


After the photo shoot, Ji Hoo took Jan Di on a tour of the City of Lights. It was Fashion Week in Paris, a very important cultural event in the city that was held bi-annually to display the latest designer fashions of the season. It was June, so they were in the midst of the spring/summer collection. And everywhere they turned it seemed people were wearing the latest fashion crazes. Jan Di did her best not to gawk at the styles around her, which ranged from incredibly beautiful to just plain odd. And some clothing items appeared as though the designer did not finish.

The Parisians were hard workers, yet they seemed to know when to take a break and enjoy themselves. Ji Hoo and Jan Di passed many a person simply sitting at a café, chatting and enjoying a light lunch.

Couples in Paris were highly affectionate and not at all averse to public displays of affection. They passed a pair of lovers kissing in a very French manner on a bridge, and Jan Di averted her eyes for their privacy, suddenly feeling a blush cross her cheeks. Ji Hoo seemed unphased but smiled at ther cute embarrassment.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di toured the Louvre first. They discussed the Mona Lisa, viewed the Venus de Milo, the Wedding at Cana, and all the other famous works. Afterward, they took a promenade through the Jardin des Tuileries, and they admired the gardens and sculptures of Rodin and others, and a friendly passerby snapped a picture of them by the large fountain in the center of the gardens.

They walked through the Place de la Concorde, the largest square in Paris. They viewed the statues at each corner of the octagon representing the cities of France, as well as the obelisk or "Cleopatra's Needle," and Ji Hoo talked of the guillotine that was used in the public square. Jan Di cringed at this, recalling her brief study of the French Revolution in school.

Next, they went to the Arc de Triomphe and gazed out over the observation deck, overlooking the beautiful Champs-Elysées. It reminded them of looking out over the balcony in Macau together years ago.

That evening, they walked along the Seine, and they took a boat to the Eiffel Tower. Ji Hoo and Jan Di rode the glass lift to the top of the famous monument and marveled at the spectacular view. Then they dined at Le Jules Verne on fine French cuisine that was almost too pretty for Jan Di to eat, almost


The next day, Jan Di and Ji Hoo took a trip to Monet's Garden at Giverny, which Seo Hyun had said was a must. They viewed the Clos Normand flower garden. They stood on the Japanese bridge and gazed out over the water lily pond. The water garden particularly reminded Ji Hoo of his lotus, Jan Di. And they toured Monet's home, including the yellow dining room.

Upon their return to the city, Ji Hoo received a call from Seo Hyun. "We're in a spot again. We are short two models, a male and female for the fashion show. My agent loved you guys in the photo shoot, so I was wondering if perhaps I could trouble you two once more to be in the fashion show tonight at 8. I promise this is the last time!" she sounded a bit desperate.

Ji Hoo sighed. Jan Di looked to him, wondering what was wrong. Ji Hoo covered the phone and gave Jan Di a brief explanation. He held the phone so they both could participate in the conversation.

"It's for charity," Seo Hyun added. Jan Di shrugged and looked at Ji Hoo.

"Well, if it's for charity…," Jan Di began, glancing to Ji Hoo once more.

"OK, Seo Hyun, we'll do it," Ji Hoo said over the phone.

"Merci beaucoup!" Seo Hyun exclaimed. She told them that she would have them picked up and taken to her apartment to prepare for the fashion show at 5.

Ji Hoo hung up and looked at Jan Di. "I'm sorry about this," he said.

"No, it's OK. I don't mind. And it was kind of fun doing the photo shoot actually."

"You're too kind, little otter."


Seo Hyun brought Jan Di and Ji Hoo to her apartment and showed them around. She had upgraded apartments since the one Ji Hoo was familiar with.

"It's beautiful, Unnie!"

"Yes, you're certainly doing well for yourself," Ji Hoo commented.

"Thank you," Seo Hyun smiled.

Seo Hyun helped Jan Di with getting ready and prepared them both for what to expect at the show, and the three of them went to the venue. They arrived, and Jan Di somehow felt like a celebrity walking in, though she knew that everyone was surely admiring Seo Hyun and Ji Hoo rather than her.


The place was packed, and Jan Di was suddenly more nervous than she'd been in a long while. She looked to Ji Hoo for comfort. He was cool and collected, as usual, but she could tell that he was dreading the whole thing. He met her gaze and gave her a reassuring smile, and she felt her strength returning.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo waited in the wings for their turns on the runway, and Jan Di suddenly had a flashback to modeling the dress at Joon Pyo's mansion. Seo Hyun was slated before them, and she stepped out onto the runway. A sea of flashes and clicks followed as she walked poised and confident down the runway. Jan Di began to shake lightly, for she was up next. Ji Hoo stood behind her. He put his hands on her arms and rubbed them lightly and gave them a squeeze. "You'll be great, my love," he whispered in her ear, and she smiled to herself.

Jan Di took a deep breath when her turn arrived and reluctantly stepped out. She was met by a blinding light, and suddenly the runway looked extremely long, as a tunnel with no end in sight. She swallowed hard and put on her best smile. But then she recalled she wasn't supposed to smile, so she put on a straight face, but it probably came off as more of a sheepish grin.

Jan Di walked as steadily as she could, the entire time repeating "please don't trip" over and over in her head. She did her best to remember Seo Hyun's instructions to walk steadily but not too fast or too slow, to stop midway down, and to turn to each side and pose for a few seconds. She stopped at the mid-point, turned, and put a hand on her hip, holding herself confidently despite her legs of jelly. Ji Hoo looked on proudly from the wings at his brave and beautiful wife, who truly looked dazzling tonight. Jan Di managed to make it to the end without tripping or fainting, and she breathed a huge sigh of relief after she stepped off the platform.


The men were next, and Ji Hoo stepped out and made his way down. Jan Di watched him proudly. He looked like he belonged there on that runway, yet she could tell he was hating it the entire time. She suddenly felt badly that he'd gotten roped into it. He glanced to her after pausing on the runway and putting his hands coolly in his pockets. She smiled tenderly at him. He didn't smile with his lips but with his eyes.

After their turns, Ji Hoo and Jan Di stood together watching the rest of the show. Seo Hyun was speaking with her agent, Jan Di noticed. Jan Di looked around the room and caught sight of Leo, who had arrived late but still participated in the show. Leo was leaning in and whispering something to one of the other models flirtatiously. Jan Di gaped, and Ji Hoo followed her gaze with his own eyes. He saw Leo lean in and place a kiss upon the model's cheek. Jan Di and Ji Hoo looked at one another. Jan Di's brow furrowed and Ji Hoo tightened his mouth. They both looked to Seo Hyun, who glanced in Leo's directions and appeared to catch a glimpse but then simply went back to talking with her agent.

Perhaps she didn't see him… Jan Di looked back to Ji Hoo helplessly, as if asking what they should do about this. Ji Hoo tightened his jaw and put a comforting arm around Jan Di's shoulders.

Seo Hyun returned to them. Jan Di glanced back to the spot Leo and the model had been occupying, but they were nowhere to be seen.


Seo Hyun complimented Jan Di and Ji Hoo on how well they had done, and she informed them that her agent had been impressed. Seo Hyun expressed her gratitude and ushered them to where they could change, as the place began to clear out. The girls and Ji Hoo went to their separate changing areas. Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun returned first and waited for Jan Di.

"Thank you again," Seo Hyun said.

Ji Hoo nodded somberly. Then he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Something wrong?"

He'd been bothered by Leo's careless attitude toward Seo Hyun and Leo's flirting, but he wasn't sure how to bring it up or if it was his place to do so. Still, he had gone into protective mode.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Seo Hyun," he began hesitantly, "What are you doing with that guy?"

"You don't approve," she half-joked.

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw and stared out.

"You don't like him…," Seo Hyun said as more a statement than a question.

Ji Hoo turned to face Seo Hyun. "He's a jerk." Ji Hoo hadn't meant to be so blunt, and he did not typically speak so rudely of another person, but the words had flown from his mouth before he could stop them.

"Why do you say that? You don't even know him."

Ji Hoo sighed. "I can just tell…," Ji Hoo replied, tightening his jaw, "His attitude toward you at dinner, and just now...," Ji Hoo paused, looking away, "Jan Di and I saw him flirting with one of the other models."

"Ah," Seo Hyun pursed her lips and nodded. "Yes, he does that sometimes."

Ji Hoo looked at Seo Hyun as if she'd lost her mind, "You know about it?" he faced her again.

"Yes. We're not exclusive," she replied straight-faced.

Ji Hoo sighed and looked out ahead. "Still, I don't like it. You deserve better…"

"Well, he's not perfect, Ji Hoo, but neither am I. No one is," Seo Hyun paused, "Except perhaps you…" He turned to study her face, unsure if she was joking or not. "You're pretty close, Ji Hoo-yah…," she smiled at him.

Ji Hoo decided to leave that statement alone. "I'm not saying he has to be perfect…he just needs to treat you right…" Ji Hoo exhaled sharply.

"Ji Hoo-yah...," she placed a hand upon his arm, "I'm not planning to marry the guy. We just spend time together. It's just casual dating."

"Well, it's none of my business...," Ji Hoo shoved his hands into his pockets and looked out ahead for Jan Di.

Seo Hyun studied him for a moment and a faint smile crossed her lips. "You know, I'm so happy for you and Jan Di. You found the person you were meant to spend your life with. You have no idea how happy that makes me…"

Ji Hoo turned and gave Seo Hyun a faint, appreciative smile.

"And the fact that you have someone as wonderful as Jan Di to care for you…it makes me feel so relieved."

Ji Hoo gave another small smile.

"Jan Di looked really beautiful tonight. She has really grown up," Seo Hyun mused. "She's really become an amazing woman."

"She always was…," Ji Hoo responded.

Seo Hyun smiled at him and nodded. "I agree."

"And she always thought you were amazing," Ji Hoo said, grinning to himself.

Seo Hyun's lips curved upward.

"She always believed you were going to do incredible things with your life," he added.

Seo Hyun smiled to herself. "You know, I really like the way my life is right now. I like my work, my friends, where I am, what I'm doing... But, I admit that sometimes I wish for a true partnership, like you and Jan Di have…"

Ji Hoo glanced over at Seo Hyun. She wore a thoughtful expression. "I'm not ready to settle down just yet, and I haven't found that special person yet, but I will when it's time," she smiled. "You don't need to worry about me, though Ji Hoo-yah. And you don't have to protect me. I know it's your nature," she nudged him, "But just cherish and take care of Jan Di now."

Ji Hoo nodded, "I will."

"I know you will. I have no doubts about that," she said, and they exchanged a smile.

"But thank you, for looking out for me," Seo Hyun leaned up and placed a real kiss upon Ji Hoo's cheek.


It was at that moment that Jan Di returned from the dressing room and saw Seo Hyun gently kiss Ji Hoo's cheek. It caught her off guard, and she wondered what she had missed.

For most girls, it would have been easy to give in to jealousy and think there was something more to the interaction between Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun that she just witnessed, but that was not Jan Di's way. She had to admit that there were times, even on this trip, that she felt the slightest bit insecure and was guilty of comparing herself to Seo Hyun. What could Ji Hoo possibly see in a girl like me after being with a girl like Seo Hyun?

When those silly thoughts came, Jan Di reminded herself of what Ji Hoo had told her before about how he felt about her. Jan Di had always idealized Seo Hyun, and Seo Hyun was certainly an amazing person and led a fabulous life. But, Jan Di wasn't envious of Seo Hyun's life at all. For one, it was entirely too hectic. Two, she didn't like being in the spotlight after getting a small taste of it. But most important of all, she realized how practically perfect her own life was in every way…and she wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jan Di confidently made her way back to Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun. Ji Hoo smiled at her and asked her if she was ready to go. She smiled back, and he put his arm around her.


The next morning Seo Hyun called Ji Hoo and Jan Di, saying she had something for them, and she met them at their hotel suite.

"Here," Seo Hyun said with a smile, handing an envelope to Ji Hoo and Jan Di.

"What's this?" Ji Hoo asked.

"It's just a little anniversary gift. I know I demanded a lot of your time, even though this was supposed to be your anniversary trip. I felt badly about that…"

"No, it's OK, Unnie…we had fun," Jan Di replied. Seo Hyun smiled sincerely.

"And you two were such good sports about helping me out with the photo shoot and the fashion show, so I wanted to say thank you. Open it," she encouraged.

Ji Hoo opened the envelope. Inside were pictures of them from the photo shoot, as well as plane tickets to Gordes in Provence and a confirmation for a B&B there.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo looked at Seo Hyun in surprise.

"I thought about what to get for you guys, and I thought a romantic getaway in the south of France would be just the thing for two hard working medical professionals…I thought hard about where to send you…I considered Nice, but then I thought…no, Ji Hoo and Jan Di would like some place quieter and more laid back. It's beautiful and quiet there. You two should have some time to yourselves. And make sure to walk through the lavender fields!"

Jan Di smiled widely, "Thank you, Unnie…this is too much…," and she gave her a hug. Here was Seo Hyun giving those extravagant gifts again!

"Thank you, Seo Hyun. That was very generous of you," Ji Hoo smiled sincerely.

Seo Hyun returned a smile. "Well, I'm very fond of you two."

"I honestly don't think I know two nicer people or two people who are dearer to me than perhaps my own family."

"Unnie…," Jan Di muttered, touched. She reached out to embrace Seo Hyun once more.

Ji Hoo sure did know how to pick em back then…, Jan Di thought.


The next day, Ji Hoo and Jan Di drove in a rented car to Senanique Abbey to view the lavender fields, as Seo Hyun had suggested. As he drove Ji Hoo reached out and placed his hand over Jan Di's that lay against her leg. He lightly caressed her hand, sending pulses up and down her spine; somehow he was still able to do that to her. He brought her hand to his lips and gently kissed it and then he interlaced his fingers with hers.

"Oh no…," Ji Hoo muttered as the car began to sputter. He parked alongside the empty road and checked the engine. He evaluated his patient for about 10 minutes before determining that it was hopeless. The car had broken down.

"I really hate cars…," he half-joked. Jan Di knew there was a ring of truth to that, and she knew that his manly pride must be a bit hurt by being unable to save the car. There were many wonderful things about Yoon Ji Hoo, and he had many talents, but automotive repair was not one of them. This was of no matter to her, though.

So, they called for assistance and decided to take a walk through the nearby lavender fields as they had planned. They walked along hand-in-hand, and Jan Di ran the fingers of her free hand across the blossoms that went up nearly to her waist. Ji Hoo stopped, knelt down, and picked a handful and presented it to her. She smiled and took the bouquet, being reminded of that time on Cheongsando.


As if inevitable, it began to rain. And they had no umbrella, so Ji Hoo grabbed Jan Di by the hand and they ran for the closest structure they saw.

One usually thought of the rain as an inconvenience, but in the movies there was always something beautiful and romantic about the rain, and so too was the rain there. There was also the wonderful scent of the rain that was permeating the air around them. And in this place it was even sweeter when mixed with a hint of damp lavender wafting on the air.

They were soaked by the time they took shelter in the entryway of a small partially collapsed stone abbey. Regardless, Jan Di thought it would be such a lovely place to be married or exchange some kind of vows. The setting made her want to say things to him… She smiled and thought of their wedding and of Ga Eul and Yi Jeong's upcoming wedding. Ga Eul would surely love this place, too…

At Ji Hoo's suggestion they began to remove pieces of their wet clothing. They stripped their outer garments; Ji Hoo was down to his undershirt and pants. Ji Hoo smiled and assisted Jan Di with her hoodie when she briefly struggled. And they held each other in the abandoned place for warmth.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo laughed together at how they'd gotten caught in such a precarious situation. Jan Di had always run into mishaps and often dragged Ji Hoo along with her. Had she rubbed off on him? No, it wasn't really his fault. And Ji Hoo had always jumped in willingly, and he knew that he would go into anything with her. This was nothing.

Ji Hoo wrapped his arms tighter around Jan Di, as he lightly caressed her arms to warm her. Then the moment transformed from one of humor to something else. The laughter dried up, and they grew serious. Jan Di turned to face Ji Hoo. His damp bangs hung across his forehead, partially hiding his eyes from view. She gazed upon him, as water droplets beaded up and began to drip from his bangs. Jan Di smiled and brushed them aside. She lightly caressed his forehead, the tips of her fingers lingering as she did so. His lips parted, as if the touch had been something electric…

He was looking into her eyes, she could now see, as if she was the only woman who had ever existed to him in the whole world. Perhaps it was the beauty of their surroudings or simply the heat of the moment, but both felt the need to kiss each other right then at that very moment. And it was one of those moments when raw emotion simply took over, and they came together in a passionate kiss.

Was there truly something special, something magical about kissing in the rain? The movies made it seem so romantic. Jan Di could feel a warm, tingling sensation spread throughout her body that transcended the cold of being soaked through by the rain. And they suddenly felt like teenagers again. Were she to describe this scenario to someone it would surely sound cheesy, but it was amazing… Perhaps there was something to this notion of kissing in the rain…

After their lips parted, Jan Di and Ji Hoo huddled there for awhile to escape the rain and wait for automotive assistance. They sat together with knees bent and their backs against the stone walled partial structure. Ji Hoo had his arm around Jan Di, and they leaned their heads against one another as if magnetically joined that way. They pressed tightly to one another for body heat, Ji Hoo tirelessly caressing her arms to banish the goosebumps.

"Do you think Seo Hyun Unnie is happy?" Jan Di mumbled after some time had passed.

"I do. She seems to like her life the way it is," he ran his hand up and down her arm.

"She really does have an amazing life… I've always thought so, you know that. I just hope that someday she finds an amazing man who will love and appreciate her the way she deserves…" Jan Di was a strong, independent girl and she didn't think it absolutely necessary for a woman to need a man, but she knew what true love was like and the experience was like no other. She hoped for that for Seo Hyun.

"Me, too, Jan Di-yah. Me too…," Ji Hoo said.

"Surely any man would love to be with Seo Hyun Unnie, but she deserves the best…," Jan Di paused, "But I already have the best, so maybe second best…"

Jan Di chuckled and smiled up at Ji Hoo. He smiled back tenderly and kissed her forehead. "You're so sweet, little otter," he ruffled her hair and pulled her tighter.

Jan Di snuggled against Ji Hoo. "I'm really happy with my life, too." She looked up at him with those big beautiful eyes he loved so, "What about you?" she asked.

He smiled and gave her a kiss. "I'm really happy, too."

Then, Ji Hoo grew serious. "…You know, Seo Hyun was such a huge part of my life back then…"

Jan Di met his eyes briefly. She glanced down and nodded.

"She saved me back then, and I loved her… I still care for her a great deal, and I always will..."

Jan Di knew this; she waited for his point

"But with you…," Ji Hoo looked deep into Jan Di's eyes, "My love for you, …it goes so far beyond what that was…you are that piece of me that was missing…" Ji Hoo smirked and turned his head from her, suddenly realizing how sappy that must have sounded.

Jan Di put a hand on the side of his face to turn him back toward her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered, "I feel the same," before claiming his lips.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di stayed at a charming stone country house in the hills of Provence, surrounded by vineyards and olive groves as far as the eye could see. The place was run by a nice old French couple by the names of Martine and Claude, who owned some of the nearby vineyards and olive groves. The room had a four poster bed and a private terrace. The walls were lined with red vintage wallpaper, and a print of Monet's Water Lilies hung over the bed.

That evening, Ji Hoo and Jan Di had a nice dinner of oysters and some Provencal dishes on the private terrace and enjoyed a complimentary bottle of wine from the couple's personal wine cellar. Ji Hoo commented that the wine was very strong, but he seemed to enjoy it regardless. Then they had a decadent dessert of fruits and chocolate.

"That was so nice of Unnie to do this for us…"

Ji Hoo nodded, "Yes, it was."

After dessert, Ji Hoo suggested that it was getting late and was time for bed with a glint in his eye. Ji Hoo lifted Jan Di onto the bed and faced her. He began to whisper sweet nothings in her ear and kissed her neck. He asked her what she would like, always eager to please. But, they knew each other very well by now. He knew her touch and she knew his, and nothing was a mystery to them any longer. Still, they never grew tired of one another. Ji Hoo still had the ability to render Jan Di weak-kneed, and she remained his ultimate weakness.

That night they felt like newlyweds again, and they became reacquainted with one another. They had always promised to give each other plenty of time and attention, but it had been more difficult as their workloads increased. Long work hours, studying, and general fatigue had stood in the way of their quality time together. Many times one or both of them would just pass out upon returning home. They both felt like they had been neglecting the other over the past few months, and they were trying to make up for it. The night was a much needed release, and they renewed their promise.

Wrapped up together they talked of many things, some serious things but also just pillow talk, some of which could still bring a blush to Jan Di's cheeks. They talked about their life, what had been and what was to come, and they cuddled.

"I missed this," Jan Di said, as she rested her head against his chest.

"Me too," he gave her an incredible smile and kissed her forehead.

They would have been content to stay in the room and simply be with one another the remainder of their three days in France, but they decided it best to see all that Provence had to offer.


Upon return home, Jan Di and Ji Hoo felt rejuvenated, for a bit... The following weeks were very busy with work demands, and Jan Di was also preparing for her licensing exam, Ga Eul's wedding, Ji Hoo's birthday, and their anniversary.

Ji Hoo had always been difficult to get gifts for because he desired little and had everything that he did have any interest in. He was even tougher to surprise. But this time Jan Di felt that she had the perfect surprise in store for him.