Balancing Act

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Over the next few months, Ji Hoo had become the rising star of the hospital. It seemed he could do no wrong. He was now being asked to speak at lectures and was often given the "best" surgeries. Jan Di hadn't been sure what that meant, and Ji Hoo explained that many of the other surgeons always wanted to be assigned the interesting surgeries, rather than the routine ones. He personally treated each one with the exact same care, and she loved that about him.

Ji Hoo had also gained the attention of Director Hwang. He had even been invited for an afternoon of golf the following Saturday with Director Hwang and some other colleagues. Ji Hoo had complained about it to Jan Di, saying that he simply wanted to go to work, come home, and spend what little free time he had with her (and perhaps occasionally Woo Bin or Yi Jeong). He had also commented that he didn't really care for golf. But Jan Di had encouraged him to interact with his colleagues. She'd suggested that it could be good for his career, even though they both believed that one should be judged on merit alone and not on their social life or how skilled they were at golf.

But Jan Di had been trying to be incredibly supportive. Sometimes she felt she pushed her caring, yet anti-social husband too much. Truthfully, reputation meant nothing to either of them, but she felt it was her duty as his wife to encourage his burgeoning career. She thought so highly of Ji Hoo, and he had so much potential that she felt it would be a waste not to cultivate that gift and share it with others. And wasn't making contacts and being well-liked the best way to do that? Maybe he should play the game just a little…

Jan Di herself had begun to come into her own as a doctor over the past three months. Sure, she still made mistakes and had a lot to learn, but she was at least becoming more confident in the few medical procedures she was allowed to do at this point. And her diagnostic skills were improving. She'd come a long way from the early days of hiding from Dr. Jang in the supply closet and ranting about him on the hospital roof. She had to laugh when Ji Hoo had caught her doing so once, just as he had when she'd ranted about Joon Pyo and F4 so long ago…

She'd discovered the stairwell to the roof one day while taking a much needed break, and she started shouting about what a jerk Dr. Jang was. She jumped slightly when she heard a very familiar voice say, "I thought you were past the days of screaming from rooftops…," and she'd turned to see her husband leaning against the wall and smiling at her affectionately. She'd shoved her hands into the pockets of her lab coat and approached him.

"I guess I can't come here if I want peace and quiet," Ji Hoo had joked. She'd given him a good-natured smile and shaken her head. He'd run his hand along her arm and said, "But maybe I will anyway…"

And from that day on, they had a new special spot. She thought it funny how history tended to repeat itself.


Dr. Jang was still being tough on the interns, especially Jan Di, but she felt that she'd gotten a pretty good handle on him now. And some days he almost seemed pleasant. He had begun to fondly call her kiddo on his good days. She wasn't entirely sure whether he meant it as a veiled insult about her youth and inexperience or as a term of endearment.

Jan Di was sad to think that she had been spending more cumulative hours with Dr. Jang than with Ji Hoo over the past few months, due to their schedules and Ji Hoo's increasing responsibilities. Though Ji Hoo would get out of things whenever he could, it had been tough not seeing him as much. She was very quickly regretting encouraging him to get involved with the hospital bureaucracy. He wasn't any happier about it than she, and he'd reassured her that they would go away together in the near future.

Now there was talk of sending Ji Hoo to medical conferences in other countries. Jan Di didn't relish the thought of being away from him for days or longer at a time. She was sure he'd take her along if at all possible, but that would depend on her own schedule. And they had yet to reveal their relationship, so it wasn't like he could angle for taking his wife…

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had been doing their best to make time to see one another. They would steal away moments together at their new stairwell. There, they would lean against one another and talk or simply be together in comfortable silence. But those moments never lasted as long as they liked and usually ended in one of them being paged away.

They had also developed a daily ritual of visiting the pediatric cancer ward together. They had made some new youthful friends there. Jan Di was especially fond of a sweet as honey 8 year old lymphoma patient by the name of Ji-a. Ji-a simply called them both Doc and claimed that Jan Di and Ji Hoo were her favorite doctors. Jan Di had explained that she was just an intern and had to pass a test to be a full doctor. Ji-a had fervently exclaimed that she would pass it with flying colors. Ji-a always said that Doc Geum was the sweetest and the prettiest of the doctors there and that Doc Yoon was the smartest and most handsome. A few times Jan Di had considered whispering her secret to Ji-a, who had mentioned that she and Doc Yoon made a cute couple.

Jan Di was definitely regretting keeping the marriage a secret, but it had only gotten harder to bring it up to the others. Keeping it a secret had been no picnic, so she considered just letting it slip. Jan Di had almost given herself away more than a few times, and she had to steel herself whenever a woman would look at Ji Hoo, smile at him, or make some comment… Mi-Nyu had become suspicious of Jan Di and Ji Hoo's relationship after witnessing a few rather flirtatious encounters between the two. Mi-Nyu would joke with Jan Di and say, "Here comes your boyfriend..," whenever Ji Hoo would walk by. Jan Di had to laugh at the irony of that. She felt badly keeping such a secret from her good friend and had decided to at least tell Mi-Nyu soon.


Jan Di was especially bothered by Director Hwang's daughter, who had been hanging around the hospital and especially Ji Hoo a lot. Mi-Nyu had explained that Si-Yeon normally only came for board meetings every few months, but now she'd been at the hospital much more frequently. And she'd been sniffing around Ji Hoo quite a bit, which Jan Di couldn't stand. Jan Di wasn't concerned, not really, but that didn't mean that she had to like it. Jan Di took heart in the fact that Ji Hoo wouldn't give Hwang Si-Yeon the time of day. He had actually come right out and told Jan Di that he couldn't stand her when Jan Di had, as subtly as she could, asked him what he thought of her.

One day Jan Di had caught Hwang Si-Yeon attempting to flirt with Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo was leaning against the nurse's station filling out scripts when Jan Di and Mi-Nyu arrived behind him. Si-Yeon had just arrived, too. Jan Di and Mi-Nyu exchanged an eye roll when Si-Yeon dropped her papers purposely in front of Ji Hoo and gave an "Oops" reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe. Being the gentleman that he was, Ji Hoo of course picked them up, and nonchalantly handed them to her. Then he'd immediately gone back to what he was doing without paying her any heed. She'd touched his arm and said something to him that Jan Di couldn't hear. Ji Hoo had wordlessly slipped his arm away, and then he turned from her toward Jan Di and Mi-Nyu. The look on his face was one of biting into a lemon, but when he caught sight of Jan Di, his expression changed to that of tasting something much sweeter. Ji Hoo immediately approached them, smiling, and engaged them in conversation. Jan Di caught Si-Yeon's scowl out of the corner of her eye and watched her walk away in a huff. Jan Di couldn't help but grin to herself in satisfaction.


Ji Hoo wasn't happy about keeping the secret either, and he'd expressed his feelings about it to her on more than one occasion. It had even caused a couple of small arguments. The arguments never lasted, though; they could never seem to stay mad at each other for very long, and it usually ended in some passionate form of making up. Ji Hoo had once joked that he was going to start picking fights with her just so they could make up because he enjoyed that so much.

Jan Di had also been busy in her spare time. She was helping Ga Eul plan her wedding. Jan Di recalled when Ga Eul finally told her after she'd masterfully kept the secret that Yi Jeong was going to propose for a whole month. Jan Di had answered the phone and screamed. After the initial shock, Ji Hoo had glanced up from his medical journal and smiled, quickly determining what the conversation must be about. Jan Di had spent another two hours on the phone listening to the story of the proposal and going over preliminary plans with Ga Eul. It made her feel sentimental about her own wedding.


Jan Di had gotten into a good rhythm at the hospital. She would get there a bit early and grab her morning coffee, if she had the time, and then she'd print off her patient list and go check on her patients. Then she would meet up with the other interns for rounds.

The interns would always be betting on what kind of mood Dr. Jang would be in that day. The categories were: OK, Bad, and Red Alert. Perhaps recalling her high school days of standing up to Joon Pyo, Jan Di had begun to stand up to Dr. Jang and had quickly earned the respect of the other interns. There was history repeating itself again…

Mi-Nyu had heard Ji Hoo call Jan Di Wonder Girl one day and had asked her about it. After explaining that, Mi-Nyu and the other interns had begun calling her Wonder Girl at the hospital, much to her embarrassment. She was glad that at least Dr. Jang hadn't heard that because he probably would have tormented her endlessly about it.


Today was Jan Di's three month anniversary at the hospital. Ji Hoo hadn't forgotten and had given her flowers that morning in celebration. He talked about taking her out to celebrate, but he was unfortunately on-call that night until midnight. So, he promised to another night.

Jan Di stood with the interns preparing for rounds that day. She wore her lab coat over a peach sweater and black slacks and black ballet flats. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

Dr. Jang tore down the hall, and Jan Di and Mi-Nyu immediately knew what kind of day it was going to be. Mi-Nyu turned to Jan Di. "Oh no, Red Alert, Red Alert!" she whispered insistently. "This is bad, this is really bad!" Mi-Nyu continued. "Do you think he knows?"

Jan Di assured her friend that it would be OK. Earlier Jan Di noticed that Mi-Nyu had made a mistake on her medication order and had ordered 25 grams instead of 25 milligrams. The patient had seized but was fine now.

Dr. Jang approached and stood before the group. "Who was responsible for the mistake at Bed 5 this morning?" was the first thing out of his mouth. Mi-Nyu cowered slightly behind Jan Di, and the other interns looked down at the ground.

After a moment of silence, Jan Di took a step forward and stood before Dr. Jang. "It was me, Seonsaengnim," she looked him directly in the eye. Then she bowed her head deeply and apologized. Dr. Jang glanced to the other interns and then returned his gaze to her. He stared her down for a moment. He took a deep breath, as if preparing to release a huge gust.

"Geum Jan Di! It was you?" He got in her face slightly and studied her, waiting for confirmation.

She lowered her head slightly but continued to make eye contact. She tightened her jaw, stood firm, and nodded. Dr. Jang held up a finger in her face, but then he simply exhaled sharply and dropped it.

"Well…don't do it again! You must be more careful!" he turned to walk away.

That's it? Jan Di thought she was off the hook, but then he turned back to her.

"Oh, and because I had to take the heat for it and clear it up, as punishment…you're going to…," he pondered, "…wash my car on your lunch!"

Jan Di scrunched her nose. "Excuse me, Seonsaengnim? Are you serious?"

"Yes, of course I am!" Then Dr. Jang simply turned and left.

Jan Di sighed, and Mi-Nyu put a hand on her shoulder. "Oh, Jan Di-yah, why did you cover for me? I'm so sorry…"

"It's OK, Mi-Nyu, I'm surprised he didn't go on more of a rant about it…"

"It's not fair that you have to wash his car…," Mi-Nyu replied, her eyes downcast.

"It's OK, I don't mind." Jan Di patted Mi-Nyu on the back.


Hwang Si-Yeon entered her father's office. She still felt raw from her last encounter with Ji Hoo and tightened her jaw at how he'd shunned her. How dare he give me the cold shoulder like that! She wore a slight pout as she approached her father's desk.

"Hi Daddy."

"Hello my dear, what can I do for you?" Director Hwang looked up from his papers to see her face. Her eyes were downcast.

"Oh, my dear, what's the matter?" he asked sympathetically.

"Daddy, I want Dr. Yoon," she pouted like a child demanding a new toy.

"Excuse me?" Director Hwang stammered.

Si-Yeon gave a high false laugh at her not-so-subtle slip. "Oh Daddy, I meant that I want Dr. Yoon to take me to the Hospital Benefit in two weeks. I want him to go with me."

The director cleared his throat and pursed his lips. "Alright, well I'll ask him, my dear."


Jan Di knocked on Ji Hoo's office door. "Come in," he replied in a distracted tone from inside.

She stepped in, and he looked up from his desk wearily. Upon seeing her face, he immediately smiled.

"Hi," Jan Di waved and smiled.

Ji Hoo stood and approached her. "Hi, Beautiful," they exchanged a loving smile.

"Oh, hey look at this," Ji Hoo pulled out his phone, hit a few buttons, and held it out before her. It was a text from Kang Sang that read, "Hyung, have a great day saving lives, fighting!"

"Isn't that cute?" Ji Hoo commented and put the phone back in the pocket of his lab coat.

Jan Di grinned. Ji Hoo had taken Kang San to a baseball game on his day off last weekend and spoiled him rotten, and now apparently they were best buddies. She smiled at the recollection of Ji Hoo taking her to a baseball game so long ago and at their accidental kiss.

"That's sweet," she said, "But why has he never sent me a message like that?" she asked with a slight pout.

"Because he likes me better," Ji Hoo teased and rubbed Jan Di's arm lightly.

Jan Di gawked at Ji Hoo and then gave him the pout again. Ji Hoo laughed and gave her a quick kiss on the nose. "I'm just kidding! Kang San loves his noona very, very much. He talks about you all the time…he's very proud of you…"

Jan Di smiled widely. "And what about you? Are you proud of me?"

He grinned and continued running his hand up and down her arm. "Very. Kang San and I both talked about you a lot last weekend. It was pretty much a mutual love fest. In fact, the few people I do talk to, mainly Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, are pretty much sick of hearing about it. But Yi Jeong and Woo Bin tolerate it pretty well because they are so fond of you."

She smiled and placed a kiss on his cheek. Then she grew somber, recalling the reason for her visit.

Noticing the change in her, Ji Hoo asked, "…Is something wrong?"

"Well, I'm afraid I can't have lunch with you today…," she said with downcast eyes.

"Oh, OK…Why not?"

"Well, I have to do something…"

He nodded slowly, waiting for further explanation.

"I'm sort of being punished for a mistake…" She really didn't want to say it.

"Punished?" Ji Hoo didn't like the sound of this...

"Yes, I have to…wash Dr. Jang's car…," she mumbled, barely audible.

"What?" Ji Hoo raised his voice slightly.

Jan Di nodded, "I'm sorry, Sunbae," she tightened .

"That's ridiculous! He can't make you wash his car!"

"It's not a big deal."

"It is. it is a big deal! I'm going to talk to him…," Ji Hoo prepared to storm off.

Jan Di caught his arm. "No, Sunbae. Don't say anything to him, please!"

He looked into her eyes and exhaled sharply. "I don't like when he takes advantage of you…," he replied, shaking his head.

"It's really not as bad as you think. I've actually learned how to deal with him pretty well…"

Ji Hoo swallowed hard.

"Please, just let it go," she implored.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Fine, I will…for you…but I don't like this one bit…"

Jan Di leaned forward and gave him a quick peck and smiled at him. "Feel any better?"

"Not fair," he sighed and gave her another quick kiss back.

"I'll see you later, Sunbae," she said.

"OK, I love you," he replied.

"I love you, too."

Ji Hoo sighed and rubbed his temples after she exited.


Jan Di cast aside her lab coat on the bench and began washing Dr. Jang's yellow Spirra with a soapy sponge. Dr. Jang had chosen to sit on the bench in the parking lot and supervise the process, so he was doing paperwork and glancing extraneously at her work. Dr. Jang rambled off some statistics about the car that he seemed so proud of. Jan Di had no idea what he was going on about. Then he talked to her about some of her patients, asking what tests she'd ordered, and she told him.

Jan Di was down on her knees scrubbing the tires, not really caring about getting dirty but instead focusing upon completing the task at hand. She was always thorough, regardless of the ridiculousness of the job.

"You missed a spot," Dr. Jang said, throwing her a sidelong glance.

Jan Di groaned inwardly and made a face that only the car could see. Dr. Jang smirked and went back to his paperwork. Jan Di continued covering the car in soap, with half a mind to throw the sponge at him.

Ji Hoo stood at the entrance of the hospital and looked on unnoticed. He tightened his jaw. It was taking all his restraint to refrain from going over and saying something and pulling Jan Di away. He sighed and turned to walk back in.

Jan Di hosed off the car and then said, "Done." Dr. Jang walked around the car and looked it over slowly, carefully. He rubbed his chin and walked around an extra time. "Hm, not bad…"

Jan Di nodded. "I'll be going then, Seonsaengnim."

"Wait, Geum Jan Di," he grabbed her arm.

She turned to look at him. He looked her straight in the eye, very seriously. Jan Di swallowed hard in apprehension over what he would say.

"I know it wasn't you…that messed up the medication order," he said.

"Oh," she looked down. She wondered why he went along with it then.

"Why did you take the blame?"

"I don't know, I guess I was just trying to help a friend."

Dr. Jang sighed. "You're a loyal one, Geum Jan Di, and brave… But people need to be held accountable for their own mistakes. Don't do that again. I punished you for taking the blame. If she thinks she can just get off the hook every time, she'll get careless."

Jan Di nodded, "Yes, Seonsaengnim." Jan Di pursed her lips and headed toward the entrance.

"Oh, by the way," Dr. Jang called to her, "Happy 3-Month Anniversary."

"Eh?" she turned back, gaping at him.

"You've been here for 3 months now. Congratulations, Kiddo," he said plainly.

"Oh, thank you, Seonsaengnim," she bowed.

"Never thought you'd make it this long, but you did," he mumbled.

Jan Di nodded, not a bit surprised by his rudeness. She once again turned to leave, and he called her back, "Geum Jan Di."

"Yes?"

He paused, as if preparing to say something very difficult, "…In celebration of your miraculous feat of lasting three months, why don't you…let me take you…and the interns out for drinks tonight after your shifts?"

Jan Di was taken aback. "Oh, um, well…"

"That is, if you don't have plans," he continued. Jan Di put a hand behind her neck. She thought about it. She'd just be going home alone to Grandfather and Fluffy, probably going to bed early, since Ji Hoo was on-call.

"No, I don't have plans…," she mumbled.

"Well then, how about it? I feel kind of bad for making you wash my car…it was too harsh of a punishment. Let me make it up to you…"

Jan Di put a finger to her lips and pondered.

"Come on, an offer like this doesn't come along every day from me…," Dr. Jang grinned.

She gave a short laugh. "I suppose that's true, Seonsaengnim. Well, I suppose I could…," she wondered if Ji Hoo would mind.


Jan Di watched Ji Hoo wash up after another successful surgery. She smiled at him as he came out. It was getting late, and the others had gone, so it was just the two of them now.

"Hi," she smiled, "I only caught the end, but you were amazing, as usual."

He smiled back at her. "You heading home?" he asked.

"Well, I wanted to run something by you..."

"I'm listening."

"Well, Dr. Jang wants to take the interns and me out for drinks tonight…what do you think?"

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth slightly and then put on a smile. "…Well, I think you should go out with your friends if you want to." She'd been encouraging him so much lately. Perhaps he should encourage her to interact with others, too.

"I'm not really much of a drinker, as you know, but Dr. Jang said it was a celebration of my three month anniversary…and I thought that was nice…and maybe I should socialize a bit more with the other interns…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "That was nice of him to offer…," Ji Hoo suddenly couldn't help having a sinking feeling.

"I wish you could go along," she said.

"Yeah, me too, but I'm on-call."

"I guess I could go and just stay for a little while…," she said.

He nodded. "Want me to pick you up when I get off? That is, if you think you'll be out that long…" He hoped not.

"I probably won't be. I'll probably be fast asleep by the time you get home," she said.

"I'll change the pick-up time with the driver."

"That's OK, Sunbae. You can just cancel him, since I don't know for sure how long I'll be."

"How will you get home?" he asked.

"I can just take the bus or something."

"I don't want you to take the bus," he said. "Let me arrange a ride for you."

"It's OK, I'll figure it out. I'll get a ride."

"At least call our driver or Woo Bin or Yi Jeong. And if all else fails call me."

She nodded, "Don't worry, Honey."

He nodded in return. "Well, have fun," he said, forcing his best smile.


Dr. Jang took the interns to a small outdoor pocha down the street from the hospital. The tiny place didn't look like much. It was still plastic wrapped from winter with cerulean colored plastic tablecloths that had seen better days. Dr. Jang told them that he'd gone there often in medical school. The proprietor was quirky and friendly, and Dr. Jang seemed to know him well. Jan Di assumed he still came there often. Dr. Jang joked with the proprietor for a few minutes before bringing over an appetizer of fried fish, as well as a fruit and nut platter. After a few moments soju was brought out, and Dr. Jang began pouring drinks for Jan Di, Mi-Nyu, and the one other male intern who had been brave enough to join. Jan Di was shocked when the proprietor actually brought over a small cake and congratulated her. Dr. Jang and the two interns held up their glasses and gave her a chuka haeyo.

Dr. Jang made sporadic conversation with Mi-Nyu and the other intern, but he was mainly focused on Jan Di. A couple hours in Mi-Nyu and the other intern offered their apologies and left for the night, as they weren't off tomorrow like Jan Di and Dr. Jang were.

And Dr. Jang and Jan Di were alone at the table. Dr. Jang and Jan Di had talked about work a lot that night. He'd felt awkward fraternizing with her at first considering their superior-subordinate relationship, but as the night wore on he'd grown more comfortable. She possessed the strange quality of putting him at ease. She insisted upon calling him Seonsaengnim, which he honestly didn't mind, even though he'd suggested something slightly less formal while not at work. They continued to talk about their medical school experiences and shared interests before the conversation took a more personal turn...

They sat close enough at the small table that his elbow brushed her arm. Feeling suddenly uncomfortable she moved over slightly without making it obvious.

"You know, Geum Jan Di…," he mused. "You remind me of my ex-wife...," he mumbled, pouring her only her second drink of the night. Jan Di looked at him, stupefied, and simply looked away and took a sip of her soju. How do you respond to that?

Dr. Jang gave a short laugh. "Believe it or not, I meant that as a compliment." He continued to look away, as he went on. "You look a little bit like her, and you're spunky like her…"

Jan Di found herself beginning to drink more steadily. The conversation was rather uncomfortable, and she thought that if she was drinking she wouldn't have to talk so much... It took her all night to finish off the first glass of soju that she'd only sipped at, but now she was taking a larger drink every few seconds and soon the liquid was gone. She wasn't sure why Dr. Jang was speaking so freely anyway. Perhaps he was a bit inebriated… Dr. Jang thoughtlessly poured another drink for her when he noticed hers was empty.

"You see, she left me and took our son a year ago…," he continued, "…I think that's why I picked on you a lot at first. At first I was angered by the reminder of her…"

Jan di looked down, still clueless about what to say. "I'm sorry to hear about your marriage not working out, Seonsaengnim, and about your son…you must miss him," she finally said. She desperately hoped that he'd change topics. Perhaps she should excuse herself and leave…but no, that would be rude. He clearly needed someone to talk to right now.

Dr. Jang nodded and held his glass up. He stared at the glass and then took a drink. "I shouldn't hold such a grudge toward her anyway…"

Jan Di simply listened without looking at him and sipped at her glass. Apparently they were drinking buddies now.

"She left me because she said that I put work first, that I was married to the job…I guess that was true… It caused a lot of fights, and eventually we grew apart…," he said.

Dr. Jang turned to Jan Di. "Our profession is very destructive on relationships…the long hours, the emergency pages late at night, the medical conferences, the stress… And not to mention that to be successful you pretty much have to make it your life…" He paused and sloshed the bottle around.

"…When you get married, Geum Jan Di, don't make that mistake with your husband. Make him the priority, not work…"

Jan Di pondered this. She wondered if she and Ji Hoo would ever grow apart from the stress of work and not seeing each other enough, but surely not! She immediately dismissed the thought. They weren't the same as Dr. Jang and his ex-wife. She believed their relationship was special. And they had already overcome so much to be together. Jan Di truly believed their love could endure anything…

Dr. Jang glanced to Jan Di, who appeared deep in thought. "You know, when I reminded myself that you're not her…I was able to see you differently and ease up on you. I know you may not think that I did… But I must admit that seeing how hard you try made me want to push you again…I think you truly can be a great physician someday, Geum Jan Di."

"Thank you, Seonsaengnim," she gave a faint smile and looked at her glass.

Dr. Jang was silent for a while. "Geum Jan Di," he finally began, "…there is a hospital benefit coming up in two weeks on Friday night," he paused, not sure if he'd had enough alcohol to excuse asking what he was about to, but he caved, "…I was wondering if you might like to go with me?"

"Oh, umm, I…," Jan Di stammered, "…Why would you want to take me?" she finally asked.

Dr. Jang smirked. "Well, I just thought I should present my most improved student…"

"Thank you, Seonsaengnim, that's nice of you, but…I wasn't really planning to go, and if I did…"

"You'd go with Dr. Yoon?" he finished for her.

Jan Di took a sip of her soju and nodded slowly. She and Ji Hoo hadn't even discussed the hospital benefit, though she was aware of it.

"Yes, I thought that you might, but I heard something about Dr. Yoon taking the Director's daughter to the benefit…"

"What? …He is?" Why would he…? He said he can't stand her... Jan Di felt a lump form in  her esophagus  She quickly downed the rest of her glass of soju in one shot.

"Whoa, slow down, Kiddo!" Dr. Jang said, putting a hand on her shoulder. Jan Di pursed her lips and her eyes darted back and forth.

"Well, Hwang Si-Yeon said she was going with Dr. Yoon when she asked me if I would be attending…" Noticing Jan Di's distress, Dr. Jang continued, "But who knows if that is even true… You can't really believe what she says. She's not trustworthy. And if it is true Dr. Yoon probably got roped into it against his will…"

Jan Di was still silent. She frowned and forgetting her decorum, poured herself another glass of soju.

"…She's a real piece of work, that Hwang Si-Yeon," Dr. Jang said with disgust, "…She's dated half the male staff at the hospital… Though, most of those relationships didn't last more than a week. She just likes to chew men up and spit them out…now it seems she has her sights set on Dr. Yoon…"

Jan Di scoffed and shot Dr. Jang a rather dirty look. He wasn't making her feel any better…

Dr. Jang swallowed hard at the look she gave him, almost like she wanted to kill him… "…But, I wouldn't worry about Dr. Yoon. He is too smart and has way too much integrity to get involved with her!" he justified.

Jan Di nodded her head. That's right… He'd never have anything to do with her… If he is taking her to the benefit, he has a good reason…

Still, Jan Di didn't like the idea of Hwang Si-Yeon, or any woman for that matter, trying to get her hooks into Ji Hoo. She chugged her soju again and stopped when the landscape suddenly started spinning violently. She clumsily set the glass down, nearly dropping it.

Dr. Jang decided to switch gears. He gave a half-hearted chuckle. "You know, speaking of Dr. Yoon, on your first day he asked me to take it easy on you…," Dr. Jang said, not looking at her.

"He did?" Jan Di mumbled, leaning against her fist and tottering slightly, "…Yes, Dr. Yoon is very protective of me," Jan Di slurred.

Dr. Jang gave a short laugh. "Yes, I've noticed… Why is that, by the way?" he twisted the bottle between his hands and paused, "….Is there…something between you two…?" Dr. Jang took a swig of his soju, deciding to once and for all confirm his suspicions.

When no response came he turned back to Jan Di, who had slumped forward and was now lying unconscious on one arm sprawled out across the table.

The corners of his mouth curved upward as he glanced down at her. "You really can't hold your alcohol, Kiddo…," he said. A piece of her chocolate hair had fallen over her eyes. He hesitantly reached over and brushed it behind her ear, taking note of the softness of her cheek as his finger brushed it. Then he sighed heavily and shook his head. What's the matter with me?

"Well, guess I better get you home, Kiddo…though, I have no idea where you live…"

Just then Jan Di's phone rang on the table beside her. She didn't stir.

"Speak of the devil…," Dr. Jang mumbled upon noticing Ji Hoo's name flashing on the screen. "Well, I guess I should answer it for her."

"Yoboseyo."

"Who is this?" Ji Hoo demanded on the other end, surprised at hearing a male voice.

"This is Dr. Jang. Hello, Dr. Yoon."

"Oh, yes, Dr. Jang. Is Jan Di there?" Ji Hoo asked, wondering why Dr. Jang was answering her phone.

"Yes, she's here, but she can't really come to the phone right now."

"Why is that?" Ji Hoo suddenly felt like a boa constrictor had him in its coils.

"Because she's passed out. The interns, she, and I went out for drinks, and she had a bit too much. I was just going to take her home, but I have no idea where she lives. Good you called. I'm sure you know where she lives."

"I can take her home," Ji Hoo immediately retorted, relieved that she wasn't in danger, yet his chest was still rising and falling heavily.

"It's OK, Dr. Yoon. I don't mind. If you just give me the address—"

"It's fine, really," he cut off Dr. Jang, "…You shouldn't inconvenience yourself. I know where she lives, and it's on my way."

Something in Ji Hoo's voice told Dr. Jang to back off. Dr. Jang sighed. "Alright, Dr. Yoon."

"Where are you?" Ji Hoo asked.

Dr. Jang described for Ji Hoo how to get to the bar.

"I'll be there in 5 minutes," he said. Ji Hoo sighed, grabbed his briefcase, and left the hospital.


Ji Hoo arrived at the bar. Dr. Jang sat at a table alone with Jan Di, who appeared to be peacefully resting against the table. Ji Hoo noticed them and moved resolutely to Jan Di. Dr. Jang greeted Ji Hoo, who barely responded, and immediately turned to Jan Di. Ji Hoo leaned toward Jan Di and put his hand on her shoulder. "Jan Di-yah, wake up." He shook her lightly, and she mumbled something and blinked up at him. He took her arm and pulled her gently upward. Dr. Jang moved to assist him. "I can handle her from here," Ji Hoo snapped. Dr. Jang took a step back.

Ji Hoo placed Jan Di's arm around his neck and held her waist snugly. She mumbled something incoherent again and slumped lightly against him. Ji Hoo softened.

He turned back to Dr. Jang and sighed. "Thank you for looking out for her," Ji Hoo said sincerely, though still perturbed.

"No problem," Dr. Jang replied and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Sorry about letting the kiddo get drunk… Good night, Dr. Yoon," and Dr. Jang left the bar.

Ji Hoo sighed and helped Jan Di to the car. He stopped and took her aside when her cheeks bulged out and she made a gulping sound. Ji Hoo held her hair back and lightly rubbed her back as she threw up in the bushes. Afterward, he drove her home, as she slept lightly against the window. He carried his sleeping wife into the house and placed her delicately in their bed.

Ji Hoo sat on the bed beside her. He sighed and gazed upon her for a moment before brushing a stray lock of hair away from her face. She opened her eyes and looked up at him blankly. "Gomawo," she muttered and smiled affectionately up at him. Her face was pale and her eyes were slightly glazed, but she remained dazzling to him. He nodded and d her cheek with the back of his hand. She reached up to touch his face.

"You know, you're really beautiful…," she said dreamily, as she cupped his face with one hand.

Ji Hoo gave a short, throaty laugh. He held her hand against his face and kissed her palm. "You're really beautiful, too, my love… And really drunk…," he grinned and shook his head. He tucked her in and kissed her forehead. "Just rest now. I'll bring you some water."

"Please don't go to the benefit with the director's daughter…," he heard her mumble as he turned to leave.

"What? Why would you think that I'm going with her?" he asked and turned back to her, but Jan Di was fast asleep clutching her pillow.


The next morning, Jan Di stirred and grumbled upon hearing a loud vibration against the bedside table. She fumbled for her phone and squinted at it. It was a message from Mi-Nyu that read: Did you survive last night? Jan Di smiled, despite her throbbing head, and prepared to respond back when her phone began to ring. She had to look at the caller ID twice to verify the name. She groaned slightly and answered it.

"Good morning, Kiddo," Dr. Jang greeted on the other end, "How are you feeling?"

Jan Di's forehead scrunched and she put a hand to it, "Uh, OK…"

"You had quite a few last night," he chuckled.

She laughed weakly.

"Did Dr. Yoon get you home alright?" he asked.

Jan Di glanced to her side to see Ji Hoo asleep next to her. "Yes, he did. Thanks," she exhaled quietly.

"Good," Dr. Jang paused, "…Well, I won't keep you on your day off. Just wanted to check in. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thanks. Bye," Jan Di hung up and put the phone back on the table. She collapsed lightly against her pillow.

"Who was that," she heard Ji Hoo whisper groggily after she'd hung up.

"Well, it was…"

Ji Hoo propped himself up on one arm. "Dr. Jang?" he raised a brow.

"Yes."

"What did he want?" Ji Hoo asked rather bitterly, as he lay on his back. Jan Di thought she noticed the subtlest hint of an eye roll from him.

"He was just checking on me."

"That was nice," Ji Hoo replied. This time Jan Di confirmed the eye roll.

Ji Hoo sighed and turned back onto his side, facing her. He began to rub her arm lightly. "How are you feeling anyway?"

"OK, just a bit of a headache…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "I tried to get you to drink some water."

Jan Di nodded. "Thanks," she paused, "…I'm sorry, Ji Hoo-yah…"

"For what?"

"For drinking too much and causing you trouble…"

Ji Hoo sighed. "You know, I was worried about you last night…," he said, a hint of annoyance mixed with the concern in his voice.

"I know. I'm sorry."

He sighed again, "It's OK, Jan Di-yah…but what was all that about?"

"What?"

"What you said about me going to the benefit with the director's daughter."

"Oh, did I say that? Well I heard something about you possibly taking her…"

"I don't know anything about that," Ji Hoo replied. "Director Hwang asked me to attend last week, but he hasn't said anything about taking his daughter."

"Oh, OK," Jan Di replied.

"If he does ask you to, will you agree?"

Ji Hoo wrapped his arm around Jan Di's waist. "I definitely do not want to go with her. And if it bothers you, then that's all the more reason for me to say no."

Jan Di smiled. "Thanks. Sorry for being jealous again…"

Ji Hoo smiled. "At least it shows me that you care… You know, I have to admit that I was a little jealous last night, too…"

Jan Di scrunched her nose. "You were?"

"Yes…"

"Of what?"

Ji Hoo sighed, "Of you being out alone with Dr. Jang…"

"Oh, yeah…well, there were two others with us, but they left."

Ji Hoo nodded.

"I only stayed because Dr. Jang seemed to be upset about something."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, he started talking about his ex-wife and son."

Ji Hoo's forehead wrinkled. "Oh. That's too bad."

"Yeah, so I was just trying to be a good listener."

"You're a very kind person, my love," he ran his fingers through her hair.

"It was a little awkward, though…he said I reminded him of her…"

Ji Hoo made a face.

"He said it wasn't an insult, though. And then…he asked me to go to the hospital benefit with him."

Ji Hoo rolled onto his back and stared up at the ceiling. "He did, huh? What did you say?"

"I told him that I didn't think I'd be going, you know, to be polite..." Jan Di scoffed. "But that was weird. Why would he ask a lowly intern to go with him?"

Ji Hoo gave a short disheartened laugh. "You're still so clueless, my little otter…" He put a hand behind his head.

"What?"

"He likes you."

"That's ridiculous, Ji Hoo-yah! He probably just invited me to humiliate me or torture me in some way…" Most improved student, yeah right!

"He likes you," Ji Hoo repeated, annoyed.

"But all he does is give me a hard time…"

"He likes you… Do I need to remind you about Joon Pyo?" Ji Hoo said, with a bitter taste in his mouth. "Trust me."

Jan Di sighed. "Well, it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't…because I love you and you're my husband…" She put her hands on the side of his face and kissed him.

He smiled and kissed her again. "And I love you."

Ji Hoo paused. "But I think we need to clear this up once and for all, now that it's gotten so…complicated... And I think we need to work on having a little more trust in each other…"

Jan Di nodded. "Yes, I agree. And you're right, it's time. I'm sorry that you had to go along with this for so long. You've been really patient with me. …So, what should we do?"

"Let's just tell everyone together. We'll be honest and apologize for the secrecy."

Jan Di nodded. "When?"

"As soon as possible. We'll figure it out," he replied.

Ji Hoo released a heavy sigh and turned back to her. "So, I think that perhaps this qualifies as an argument...," he grinned and began to tickle her. Jan Di squirmed and giggled. Then he grew serious and brought her in close. He leaned in and captured for an extended kiss.

Suddenly recalling something Ji Hoo broke the kiss. "Oh yeah," he groaned and flopped onto his back like a limp fish. He quickly checked his watch on the bedside table. "I have to go golfing with Director Hwang and some other colleagues today…," he whined.

"It won't be so bad, honey," Jan Di leaned over him.

"I'd much rather spend the day with you…," he pouted, as he wrapped his arms around her and held her against his chest like a life preserver.

She wriggled out of his grasp enough to give him a quick kiss on the cheek and then went back to resting against his chest. "I'd love to spend the day with you, too, but I'm actually going to be helping Ga Eul with wedding plans. It's going to be a very girly day, so I'm sure you won't mind missing out." Jan Di smiled, knowing Ga Eul would be gushing, but she was still thrilled to spend time with her friend.

Ji Hoo laughed. "OK, give her my best."


Ji Hoo arrived at the Damyang Dynasty Country Club. He bowed and thanked his driver and went inside. Ji Hoo was escorted to Director Hwang, who wore a Fila polo, slacks, hat, and golf shoes. He was accompanied by another older colleague, who was similarly dressed. Ji Hoo was dressed in typical attire for him: Neat, impeccable, completely suitable for a fancy country club, but not so sporty.

"Ah, Dr. Yoon, over here," Director Hwang motioned for him. Ji Hoo approached and bowed. Director Hwang bowed and patted him on the back.

Ji Hoo glanced around as Director Hwang gave him a tour, going on and on about the architecture of the country club. Director Hwang told him that it was designed by the renowned architect, Andrei Visego, and that it was designed to be reminiscent of the shrines of Athens.

"Have you been to Athens, Dr. Yoon?"

Ji Hoo nodded, "Yes, once."

"There's actually a medical conference coming up there in about a month that I'd like to send you to," Director Hwang said.

Ji Hoo simply nodded and hoped he'd somehow be able to take Jan Di. He wanted to show her Athens.

"Where are your clubs, Dr. Yoon?"

"Oh, I don't have any. I thought I'd just buy some here."

"Oh, yes. There's the pro shop there," Director Hwang pointed to it. "Come, my boy, I'll recommend the best set to you." Director Hwang began to walk Ji Hoo to the pro shop.

Then Director Hwang noticed someone and turned and waved. "Over here, my dear!"

Ji Hoo turned to see Hwang Si-Yeon approaching in full-on women's golf attire: pink polo, white skirt, hat, and shoes. She too looked like Fila had thrown up on her.

Ji Hoo groaned inwardly. Could this day get any worse?

"Ah, and there's our 5th!" Director Hwang waved, and Ji Hoo turned again to see Dr. Jang approaching. He wore dress casual and had a set of clubs slung across his back. Ji Hoo sighed. I guess it could get worse…

Dr. Jang approached the group and greeted the Director, his colleague, and his daughter properly. Then he turned to Ji Hoo.

"Dr. Yoon, nice to see you again," he said with a slight smirk. Ji Hoo nodded. Dr. Jang stuck his hand out and they exchanged a rather tense shake.

"How are you at golf, Dr. Yoon?" Dr. Jang asked and patted him on the back. Dr. Jang took Ji Hoo aside for a moment. "Want to make a friendly wager?" Ji Hoo looked at him curiously.

"If I beat you, I take Geum Jan Di to the hospital benefit and you take Hwang Si-Yeon. If you win, we'll do the opposite," he whispered with a grin.

Ji Hoo stared at Dr. Jang like he'd lost his mind and needed a psychiatric consult. Was he serious?

"I don't like betting," Ji Hoo simply said. As if he'd treat Jan Di like some bargaining chip! And what made him think Jan Di would agree to something like that? What kind of sick, twisted game was he playing?

"What's the matter? Afraid you'll lose?" Dr. Jang smirked deviously.

Ji Hoo glared at him. And it just keeps getting worse…