Old Friends & Old Flames

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Alex sat at a bar in John F. Kennedy International Airport sipping a glass of wine and preparing for her flight to Seoul. She hadn't been to Seoul since Jan Di and Ji Hoo's wedding. A tall blonde American man in a suit sat down on the stool next to her at the bar. He also ordered a glass of wine and glanced over at her. Alex gave the subtlest of nods, which seemed innocuous enough to her, but apparently he took it for more.

"Hi, what's your name?" the man turned to her with a toothy grin. She wondered if she should pretend not to speak English.

"Alex," she said simply, taking a sip.

"I'm Chad Johnson, nice to meet you."

Alex gave another nod and looked out ahead. She took another drink.

"Could I get the next one?" Chad Johnson asked.

"No, thank you."

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure," she turned to him, "And before you go too far with this you should know that I'm waiting for my boyfriend."

"Oh, you are?" he raised a brow as if he didn't believe that.

"Yes, I am," Alex turned to Chad and leaned in slightly, "And he's big, mean, and scary…," she said with a smirk. It wasn't that she couldn't handle herself, but she just enjoyed using that line on potential suitors.

Chad looked at her curiously.

"So, I'm big, mean, and scary now?" Joon Pyo's voice resounded from behind them.

Alex turned and smiled widely. Chad groaned inwardly. Thoroughly humiliated, he paid for his drink and left.

"What do you mean now? You've always been big, mean, and scary…," Alex replied, grinning at Joon Pyo.

Joon Pyo smirked at Alex and took a seat beside her. He leaned in for a kiss, and she met him halfway. "So, what's the latest?" she asked after her lips left his.

"The flight is delayed another 45 minutes, aish, such a pain!" Joon Pyo sighed, "Knew we should have taken my plane…"

Alex sighed, "Patience, Joon Pyo. There's no rush. Relax, have a drink with me," she said, putting a well-manicured hand on his arm.

"Fine." Joon Pyo ordered a glass of scotch.

"So, are you finally going to introduce me to your parents?" Alex asked after Joon Pyo had a few swigs of scotch in him.

"I suppose so…," Joon Pyo grumbled.

"What, are you embarrassed by me?" Alex folded her arms.

"No."

"Well, do you think they won't like me?"

Joon Pyo gave a short laugh. "I wouldn't want to introduce my worst enemy to my mother…," he swirled the glass of scotch in his hand, "But, the crazy witch will probably love you; you're just like her after all…"

Alex smacked Joon Pyo on the arm, and he nearly spilled his scotch, "Aish!"

"How could you say that after all you've told me about her?"

Joon Pyo chuckled. He had to admit he got immense pleasure out of torturing Alex.

Alex scoffed. "Anyway… So, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul are really getting married in 2 months?"

"Looks that way," Joon Pyo took another sip.

"Wow, he was such a Casanova before right?"

"Yep."

"Well, she certainly worked her magic on him, huh?"

"So it would seem…"

Alex pursed her lips. "So…," Alex dragged out the syllable, "…how are you and Yoon Ji Hoo getting along these days?"

Joon Pyo took another drink, "We're getting along fine."

"Uh huh," Alex nodded, "And how do you feel about seeing…"

Joon Pyo knew where she was going with this. He sighed, "I'm fine with seeing her. Would you get off this already?"

"OK, fine…," she paused, "But, are you sure you're OK with it? You haven't seen them since the wedding, so old feelings might resurface…"

"Look, we've had this conversation before, haven't we? And I told you before that I'm over it, didn't I?

"Yes, you did. I'm sorry. Moving on…" Alex took a drink. She continued to glance at him here and there, studying him. He was solid. Joon Pyo caught her glances and rolled his eyes.

"Aish," Joon Pyo scoffed, "Who knew Alex Lee was such an insecure little girl?"

"What did you say?" Alex turned to him, her face heating up. "I am not insecure…I don't care one bit!"

"Yeah right…," Joon Pyo mumbled with a smirk.

Alex was fuming, but she didn't want Joon Pyo to see. She put on her best poker face and held her pretty head up high. "I'm going to go check the flight status," she slid gracefully from the stool, stood, and walked off with her shoulders back. That's what I get for being concerned about his feelings!


The next day, Ji Hoo sat with Woo Bin and Yi Jeong at the F4 clubhouse. It was one of those rare days off for Ji Hoo, yet he still kept his pager securely at his hip in case of an emergency surgery or in case Jan Di needed her firefighter.

"So, you're really going to pay for that boy's treatment, Ji Hoo-yah?" Woo Bin asked.

"Yes. I want to make sure he gets the help he needs."

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin nodded in unison. "It's just a thought, but you don't think that woman was taking advantage, do you?" Yi Jeong asked.

"I don't think so. She seemed genuinely upset. She's gone through a lot. She lost a brother, and she's a single mom. And now she's trying to take care of Ha-Joon. I feel bad for her."

Yi Jeong nodded.

"Either way, I feel…responsible…for the boy's situation...," Ji Hoo grew somber.

"It's not your fault, Ji Hoo-yah," Woo Bin said, putting a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder.

"What does Jan Di say about it?" Yi Jeong asked.

"She thought it was very generous that I offered to pay."

"It was that," Yi Jeong said.

"She told me she was proud of me, actually…"

Ji Hoo sighed, "I just wish I could be sure that he's improving, though… I know it's going to take time. I just wish I could do more for him..."

"You've done all you can. It's out of your hands now," Yi Jeong said.

"I guess so…," Ji Hoo sighed again, "Well, let's talk about something else…"

The men crossed their arms in unison.

"So, how ya feeling about tying the knot, man?" Woo Bin turned to Yi Jeong, leaning his arm over the back of the couch.

"I can't wait," Yi Jeong smiled widely.

Ji Hoo grinned, "I'll bet you can't..."

Yi Jeong smirked over at Ji Hoo, "So, Ji Hoo-ya, we haven't seen you around much lately..."

"I've been busy," Ji Hoo said.

Yi Jeong nodded, "Of course. I'm surprised to see you here on your day off, though. I thought you'd want special alone time with Jan Di…"

Ji Hoo grinned and shook his head, "Well, she's working."

"Ohh, so that's why you're hanging with us, huh?" Woo Bin joined in the onslaught.

Yi Jeong folded his arms, "I guess we're second place to Jan Di, Woo Bin… "

"I'm sorry to say this, but yes, yes you are," Ji Hoo replied. "But you're just as bad, Yi Jeong. You know that if Ga Eul wasn't busy you'd be with her right now…"

Yi Jeong smirked. He's right…

Woo Bin sighed. "I'm bored with the 'who's more whipped than who game.' Let's just agree that you're both equally whipped and move on," he interjected.

Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo gaped at Woo Bin but then conceded.

"Speaking of whipped…," Ji Hoo grinned, "How are the wedding plans, Yi Jeong?" Ji Hoo asked.

Yi Jeong smirked. "Everything is pretty much in order. Invitations are out." That was all the detail Yi Jeong felt he needed to give. "You guys are going to be my groomsmen, right?"

"Oh, I would, but I think I'm busy that day," Ji Hoo teased.

"Shoot, me too, man!" Woo Bin joined in.

Yi Jeong gave a sarcastic laugh.

"We'll be there," Ji Hoo smiled. Woo Bin punched Yi Jeong in the arm, "Yeah, me plus one!"

Yi Jeong smiled at his friends.

"Oh, I get to walk Jan Di down the aisle, right?" Woo Bin asked eagerly. Yi Jeong nodded.

"Remember, no hitting on my wife," Ji Hoo inserted. Woo Bin waved him off with a hand.

"Speaking of, anything special planned for your anniversary, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong asked.

"Well, I've been working extra shifts in order to take some time off. I'm surprising her with a short trip to Paris in two weeks as an early anniversary gift."

"Paris, really?" Woo Bin asked.

"Yes, she's wanted to go for a long time. The only thing is that I'm sure Seo Hyun will want to get together with us."

"So don't tell her you're going," Yi Jeong said.

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yeah, we could just not bring it up to Seo Hyun. I'll just leave it up to Jan Di. She'll probably want to see her."

"Hm, touring the City of Love with your wife and ex-girlfriend…sounds like a great idea…" Yi Jeong commented, sarcastically.

"Yea man, sounds like it has disaster written all over it to me…," Woo Bin added.

"No, I don't think so. Jan Di and Seo Hyun get along really well. And besides, we wouldn't be spending the whole time with her; we'd maybe just get together for dinner or something. I'm sure Seo Hyun will be very busy anyway."

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin nodded.

"So, Joon Pyo is back in Korea for a little while," Ji Hoo said, changing the subject.

"Oh, that's right. We definitely need to see him," Yi Jeong said.

"He and Alex are coming to our house for dinner next Thursday," Ji Hoo continued.

"Really?" Woo Bin raised a brow.

"Yes." Ji Hoo picked up his guitar next to him and began to lightly strum it.

"Hm. Do you think it'll be awkward?" Yi Jeong asked.

Ji Hoo fiddled with the guitar strings. "I don't think so…," Ji Hoo pondered, suddenly calling up the image of the four of them sitting silently in the dining room. "Hey, why don't you guys join us, next Thursday at 7PM? Might be nice to have a couple of buffers…," Ji Hoo muttered.

"Oh, now we're buffers!" Woo Bin exclaimed in mock hurt and exchanged a glance with Yi Jeong.

"I didn't mean it like that. We want you guys there, too. And you can invite Ga Eul, Yi Jeong. Might as well have one big gathering, and then you guys can see Joon Pyo, too…"

"You better check with Jan Di on this little party," Yi Jeong suggested.

Ji Hoo nodded, "I'll run it by her, but I don't think she'll mind. And I'm sure she'll love having Ga Eul over again."

"How does she feel about Joon Pyo and Alex coming to dinner?" Yi Jeong asked.

"It was her idea," Ji Hoo said.

"Really?" F2 asked in unison.

"Yes. Do you think I would have suggested it?"

"Good point."

"Still, we have to face the music eventually. Things went fine at the wedding, and Joon Pyo and I have been talking some and it's been fine. I want us all to be able to get along and be comfortable. It should be no big deal, right?" The question almost seemed rhetorical, but then Ji Hoo glanced to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin for reassurance.

Yi Jeong smiled, "Of course it'll be fine, Ji Hoo-yah."

"Yea, man, no worries!"

Ji Hoo smiled faintly and nodded. Of course, I have nothing to worry about…


Jan Di finished rounds and checked on lab results at the nurse's station. She wrote out a prescription order and asked one of the nurses to increase the morphine drip by 2mg on Bed 4. Then, she pulled a patient's file and perused it.

"So, I guess ugly ducklings can turn into swans," a familiar voice came from behind Jan Di.

Jan Di turned and smiled widely at the man who stood a few meters behind her, "Goo Joon Pyo…"

Joon Pyo was wearing a white collared shirt and tie, black sweater vest, black pinstripe pants, and the hint of a smile. He sauntered forward with one hand tucked in his pocket. Joon Pyo stood before Jan Di and looked down at her. He smirked, as he glanced at her lab coat and gave the fabric of her sleeve a tug. "You look like a real doctor," he grinned playfully.

Jan Di cocked her head, "Well, I'm very close to being one," she said proudly, giving his arm a shove. Joon Pyo smirked. Somehow their interaction felt completely comfortable and natural.

"What are you doing here, Joon Pyo?"

Joon Pyo folded his arms. "Just came to check out this dump you guys work in…" Joon Pyo glanced around and made a face. "Shinwha University Medical Center is better."

Jan Di gave a short laugh. "Well, this is a fine hospital, too, Goo Joon Pyo."

"I suppose… So, where is…?" Joon Pyo glanced around.

"Ji Hoo? He's not here today. He didn't tell you?"

"I didn't talk to him. I was in the area, so I decided to just show up."

Jan Di nodded. Just like Joon Pyo… There was silence for a moment. "Well, if you'd like, I'm going to lunch in about 10 minutes if you want to join…"

Joon Pyo pursed his lips, "Sure."

Dr. Jang exited a patient's room and noticed Jan Di and Joon Pyo. He folded his arms and looked on curiously.

"Oh, Seonsaengnim!" Jan Di waved him over. Dr. Jang approached them almost suspiciously.

"This is a good friend of Ji Hoo's and mine, Goo Joon Pyo. Joon Pyo, this is Dr. Jang, my attending."

Joon Pyo stuck his arm out firmly, and the two men shook. "Goo Joon Pyo, I've certainly heard of you," Dr. Jang said. "It's a pleasure."

Joon Pyo nodded.

"Seonsaengnim, I was going to finish up and then go to lunch. Is that OK?"

Dr. Jang nodded.


After Jan Di finished her work, she met back up with Joon Pyo in the hospital cafeteria.

"We're really going to eat here?" he asked dubiously.

"Yes, this is where we always eat. Don't worry, you'll like it."

Jan Di recommended food items that she thought Joon Pyo would like and they took their trays to Jan Di and Ji Hoo's usual table. Jan Di smirked and began to eat as Joon Pyo deliberated on whether or not to try it. He cautiously took a bite. He chewed slowly at first but then began to chew more quickly and swallowed. He took another larger bite.

"I thought you'd like it," Jan Di grinned and took another bite of hers. "Some of the food here is not so good. But some is amazing. Ji Hoo and I have figured out what's good and what's not by now.

Joon Pyo nodded. "So, how have you been?" he asked through a bite.

Jan Di glanced downward. She wasn't sure if Joon Pyo knew of the miscarriage, and she wasn't planning to bring it up if not. And he certainly wasn't one to bring up such an uncomfortable topic.

She put on a smile, "Good. And you, Goo Joon Pyo? I hear you've been quite the world traveler." She took another bite.

Joon Pyo nodded, "Yes, business has been hectic. But Alex and I are going to be in Korea for awhile, at least until after Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's wedding."

Jan Di nodded, "They'll be so glad you are able to make it." Jan Di hesitated to ask about Alex. She wasn't sure if they were on friendly enough terms for her to do so. "So, how is…Alex?"

"She's good," Joon Pyo said simply, focusing upon his food.

Jan Di studied him. "That's good," she decided to leave it at that.

Jan Di poked at her food. "Ji Hoo and I went to Greece."

"Yes, I heard. And you didn't stay at my hotel."

Jan Di chuckled awkwardly, "Yeah, sorry about that."

Jan Di searched for further conversation. "Oh, I hear you ran into Seo Hyun in Paris."

Joon Pyo nodded. "Yeah."

Jan Di wondered where to take the conversation next. Should she ask him more about what he'd been up to? Should she talk more about herself?

They both came to the decision to simply continue eating in silence. Jan Di began stuffing food in more quickly to occupy . Joon Pyo glanced at Jan Di and studied her for a moment.

"Well, you eat the same, but other than that…you've changed a lot," he said.

Jan Di swallowed the bite in . "I have?" she stared back at him.

"Yes, you've…grown up."

Jan Di cleared , "You think so?"

"Yes, you seemed to have things well under control back there. You seem confident in what you're doing."

"Thanks," she took another bite. "I still have a lot to learn, though."

"You're not that clumsy little girl I knew anymore," Joon Pyo said, almost wistful.

"Well, I wouldn't say that…I'm still pretty clumsy…look at this…" she showed him her hand, which was wrapped in a bandage. "I tripped the other day and scuffed it." She smiled, recalling how Ji Hoo had rushed to her aid and then delicately treated the minor ailment, despite her insistence that she was fine.

Somehow the incident brought back the time when Joon Pyo had cared for her after she was assaulted by the Shinwha students. She felt the corners of tug upward slightly. She supposed it was only natural to feel a bit nostalgic around him.

"And I've had a few near misses with needles," she added, with an awkward chuckle.

Joon Pyo shook his head, "Yep, klutzy as ever." Jan Di smiled.

Then, Joon Pyo grew serious, "You're happy…here, then?

He seemed to insinuate something more than her being happy at her job. Perhaps he was asking if her life was happy.

She nodded without hesitation. She was happy, in all areas… She was so happy. And she hoped he was as happy as she was.

Again, Jan Di hesitated, unsure if she was overstepping her bounds, "And you, Joon Pyo? Are you…happy?"

He seemed to consider this carefully before saying, "Yes, I am, Geum— Oh, yeah, I can't call you that anymore." He gave a short laugh. "Yoon Jan Di." He'd never said it before. Jan Di smiled faintly.

"I am happy," he replied. He almost sounded surprised, as if he hadn't stopped to think about it before.

"…Business is good, and things with Alex are…good…," his momentary seriousness was shed for a more Joon Pyo type attitude, "…Most of the time, anyway, when she's not driving me crazy that is," Joon Pyo scoffed.

Jan Di smiled at him sincerely. You haven't changed much, Joon Pyo…


The evening of the dinner arrived, and Jan Di and Ji Hoo changed from their work attire to dinner clothes. Jan Di and Ji Hoo often made dinner for themselves, but tonight their staff was making dinner, given the extra guests and the fact that Ji Hoo and Jan Di had been working all day.

Jan Di stepped into her dress; she'd been wearing them more often as of late. She zipped it most of the way and then called for Ji Hoo when she could no longer reach. Ji Hoo knew what she needed immediately and attended to the zipper, as she held up her hair. After zipping her, his hand lingered on her shoulder and he placed a kiss on it. Jan Di smiled.

Ji Hoo turned Jan Di to look at him and ran his hands up and down her arms. "You ready for this?"

"Yes, are you?"

He nodded.

Jan Di studied Ji Hoo. "Is something bothering you?"

Ji Hoo exhaled. "No, I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly…we haven't gotten together with them before…"

"Don't worry. It'll be fine."

"I know. You're right."

Jan Di went back to getting ready. She dabbed on a little makeup. She hardly wore the stuff, considering she was usually at work, and it seemed pointless there. But she'd become more accustomed to putting it on when they went out or had company.

Ji Hoo watched her get ready, and he decided to just come out with what was on his mind. "How do you feel about seeing Joon Pyo again?" he asked directly.

"I'm fine with it," she said without hesitation.

"You must be feeling…something...about seeing him again after so long…"

Jan Di turned to Ji Hoo, "Really, I'm fine. I'm not feeling anything about it." Jan Di paused, suddenly realizing she had neglected to tell Ji Hoo about her lunch with Joon Pyo. "Ji Hoo-yah," she began hesitantly.

"Yes?"

"I forgot to mention that I did see Joon Pyo…last week. He came to the hospital, and we had lunch."

Ji Hoo flinched. "You did?"

"Yes, it was the day you were off. I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner; it slipped my mind. He was in the area and dropped in to see us without knowing it was your day off. He didn't tell you?"

Ji Hoo shook his head. "So…how did it go?"

"It was fine. It was comfortable for the most part, not too awkward. I was surprised actually."

"That's good." Ji Hoo still appeared to be processing the whole thing. "So, what did you guys talk about?"

"Oh, not much…work, travel… And I told him about the good food in the cafeteria."

"Ah, did he like it?"

"He did actually."

Ji Hoo smiled; though, he still seemed preoccupied. Jan Di pecked him on the cheek and gave him a reassuring smile.

Ji Hoo smiled faintly, "Well, I guess we should finish getting ready…"


Ga Eul and Yi Jeong arrived first, and Ga Eul eagerly greeted Jan Di. Woo Bin and his date arrived next. Woo Bin clasped hands with Ji Hoo and winked at Jan Di. Jan Di blushed lightly, due to a rather embarrassing interaction that had occurred between the two of them…

Recently Jan Di had been concerned for Woo Bin. He continued to date numerous girls; he pretty much had a new date every time they got together with him, and Jan Di had begun to worry that Woo Bin was living a lonely, unfulfilled life. She'd discussed it with Ji Hoo, who was under the impression that Woo Bin was completely content with his current lifestyle.

It wasn't like Jan Di at all to in, but she made the mistake one day of asking Woo Bin, when it was just the three of them, if he was happy. Woo Bin had just broken up with another girl.

Woo Bin had said that he was happy, unsure of what Jan Di was getting at. Thinking it was a mask, Jan Di complimented him, saying that he was a great guy and deserved a great girl. A mischievous smile had crossed Woo Bin's lips, and he winked at Ji Hoo. Woo Bin had approached Jan Di and put his arm around her shoulders. "Are you worried about me, Baby?" he'd asked, holding her a bit too close for comfort. Baby?

Jan Di had gone beat red and stammered, "N-n-no…" Ji Hoo had shaken his head behind them and crossed his arms. Ji Hoo had quickly ended Woo Bin's little game by removing Woo Bin's arm from Jan Di and replacing it with his own. "OK, that's enough, Woo Bin," Ji Hoo had said. From then on, Jan Di had decided to stay out of Woo Bin's love life.


Joon Pyo and Alex arrived last. Joon Pyo entered with Alex on his arm. Alex was one of those girls who could walk into a room and everyone would immediately stop and take notice, men certainly, but also women. Not only was she beautiful, but she was confident, poised, almost regal. Watching Alex was like catching a glimpse of a shooting star; one couldn't help but stop and admire.

This particular group of men; however, was very biased toward their partners and extremely beautiful themselves, so Alex didn't have her usual impact. It was mainly Ga Eul and Jan Di who were in awe of her. Joon Pyo always had a certain presence, too, and having Alex on his arm likely made him all the more impressive in most circles. Joon Pyo and Alex truly made a power couple.

Upon arrival, Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo faced off as if some catastrophic event would occur but then Joon Pyo grinned, and they met halfway in a brief man-hug. Then, Ji Hoo prepared drinks, while the group sat around chatting before dinner. Ga Eul and Yi Jeong sat close to one another and held hands much of the time. Woo Bin had his arm snugly around his date. Ji Hoo sat next to Jan Di after passing out drinks, but they were more hands off, as were Joon Pyo and Alex. Alex placed a hand casually on Joon Pyo's shoulder, as she crossed one unnaturally long, slender leg over the other.

Joon Pyo and Alex shared their business successes. It seemed they had practically conquered the world. Alex regaled the group with stories of their travels. She spoke of the amazing places they'd been and tossed in the occasional humorous anecdote about Joon Pyo's stubbornness. Jan Di realized that she too had travel stories to tell, and she and Ji Hoo shared their own experiences. Ji Hoo and Jan Di also talked about their work at the hospital. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul gave the group updates on the wedding, and Woo Bin and his most recent date joined in the conversation with talk of Woo Bin's business.


A four course dinner was served by Ji Hoo and Jan Di's staff, and the group made idle dinner conversation. It wasn't long before Joon Pyo began making fun of Jan Di, and she fired insults right back at him. Alex and Ji Hoo exchanged a glance after witnessing the banter. Ji Hoo was a bit surprised, but Alex was dumbfounded. Occasionally an inside joke of theirs would worm its way in and Jan Di and Joon Pyo would laugh mutually. Of course F3 understood most of it, but Alex looked completely lost. She looked to Ji Hoo helplessly once or twice for explanation when they prattled on about something she didn't get.

After dinner the group decided to play a game of charades with teams by couples. Jan Di found it humorous and a bit terrifying how alike Joon Pyo and Alex were and what equally bad sports they were. They were both ultra-competitive, and a few arguments ensued when they were not winning or when one of them did not understand what the other was trying to act out.

At one point during the night, Joon Pyo threatened to kick Alex off his team and pick a different partner, which led to an argument. Ji Hoo and Jan Di looked to each other and shook their heads.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di made a good team, though their acting skills left something to be desired. Woo Bin and his date held their own, but it was Ga Eul and Yi Jeong who came out on top in the game.

After witnessing their interactions, Jan Di wondered if perhaps Joon Pyo and Alex were unhappy, despite what Joon Pyo had said. But, they had their redeeming moments. They shared the occasional tender look or subtle yet affectionate touch during the night. And Jan Di couldn't help but smile when she witnessed one of those rare moments.


The evening had ended and Ji Hoo sat in bed reading, or at least attempting to read. It was difficult for him to focus. He couldn't seem to stop intrusive thoughts from entering his mind and pricking him like a porcupine when they came near. And he felt unsettled. He sighed and rubbed the ridge of his nose to ease the dull throbbing.

Jan Di exited the bathroom wearing a pink nightgown. She glanced to Ji Hoo, who was currently focused upon his book. She cocked her head and stared at him; he didn't look up.

"Something wrong?" she asked. She'd become adept at reading his subtle signs.

Ji Hoo finally looked up from his book and released his breath. "It's nothing."

Jan Di pursed her lips and continued urging him to speak with her eyes.

Ji Hoo exhaled again and placed his book gently in his lap. "It's just…I didn't realize you and Joon Pyo were so close again…"

"I wouldn't call us close," she said simply.

"You just seem so…comfortable…around each other I guess…" It appeared to Ji Hoo that Jan Di and Joon Pyo had acted just as they had when they first got to know each other. It didn't seem romantic but rather friendly, in that dysfunctional tormenting each other kind of way they had of interacting, almost like siblings... It was as if all the pain and jealousy had been magically erased. Ji Hoo supposed he should be thrilled. Why was he questioning it? But it just seemed too good to be true.

"Well, I suppose we've just both moved on," she said.

As much as Ji Hoo wanted to accept that, for some reason he just couldn't. Ji Hoo sighed and stood before Jan Di, "I really want to believe that everything is fine now, and I want you two to get along, I do, but it just seems too…quick, too easy…"

Ji Hoo turned from her and encircled himself with his arms. "I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I can't help but worry…"

"What are you worried about?" she asked.

He took a deep breath. "…I'm worried that perhaps one or both of you could have remaining feelings there…"

Jan Di sighed, "I feel affection for Joon Pyo as a friend, and yes I have fond memories of him, but there's nothing more."

Ji Hoo released the breath he'd been holding, relieved to hear her say the words. "I'm sorry to bring this up, but…I'm just so afraid of losing you..."

Instead of reassuring him further, Jan Di gave an exasperated sigh. "Babo!" she shouted.

Ji Hoo turned back and stared at her, dumbfounded. She approached him resolutely, jaw clenched and fists balled at her sides. "Babo!" she repeated more insistently.

"Jan Di-yah...," he blinked several times.

"You big dumb jerk!" she shoved his chest with both hands.

Ji Hoo was at a loss, so he simply allowed her temper tantrum to continue. She smacked his chest once, twice.

"You really think that? You really think you could lose me to Joon Pyo or any other man? I'm your wife, aren't I?!"

"Jan Di-yah, I didn't mean anything—"

"No! Those times I was jealous what did you tell me? You told me how much you love me. You told me that you would never even consider straying, didn't you?"

He nodded silently.

"Well, do you think that I love you less than you love me?"

Ji Hoo was speechless.

"…Jan Di, I…" he finally stammered.

She cut him off. "After all we've been through…you think you could just lose me like that?"

She moved to push him once more, but this time he caught her wrists and placed them upon his chest. She tensed briefly before relaxing. He moved his hands to her waist and pulled her closer. "Mianhae…I didn't mean to upset you…I just love you so much…"

She rested her palms against his chest and looked up into his eyes. "If you do, then prove it."

"Prove it?" Did he not show her his love every day?

"Yes, prove it…by trusting in me."

"I do trust you, Jan Di...," he said completely serious.

They looked into each other's eyes.

Ji Hoo sighed. "I just can't shake this fear sometimes…that everything I love most will be taken from me…and what I love the most in this world…is you."

"Ji Hoo-yah…," she placed her hands upon his face, as he wrapped his arms tighter around her.

"I'm not going anywhere…you're stuck with me," she said with a smile.

"Good," he smiled back and kissed her.

"I didn't take Yoon Ji Hoo for a fool…don't you not know how much I love you? If you truly knew...you would not be so insecure…"

He stared down at her, lips parted.

Jan Di continued, "I love you so much more than I ever thought it possible to love another person. I know it sounds sappy, but I didn't know this kind of love truly existed in real life. I thought it was just in the movies. Our love makes me feel stronger… I feel safe, and I feel like I can do anything as long as you are by my side."

Truly touched by her words, "Jan Di-yah…" was all Ji Hoo could manage to say.

"I realized that's the way love is supposed to be…how foolish I was…back then," she assumed he knew what she was referring to, "I didn't really know what love was before. But now I do. It empowers you. But if we give in to our fears and doubts, we're killing it…"

Ji Hoo glanced downward and smiled, "You're absolutely right." When did Jan Di become so wise?

"Sometimes it scares me, honestly…how much I love you…because if something did happen to you I think I would be lost… So, I can understand, I suppose, how you feel… But to worry about me falling in love with someone else, that's just not going to happen…," she assured.

Ji Hoo smiled lovingly at Jan Di. Unable to hold back any longer, he took her face in his hands and kissed her as if there was no tomorrow.


The next day, Ji Hoo sat in the bedroom playing his violin. Jan Di was at the hospital. They once again had worked different shifts. He always felt restless when she wasn't home, but playing helped.

His playing was interrupted by a ring at the door. Disappointed, Ji Hoo gently put his violin down and went to the door.

"Alex? What are you doing here?" Apparently Alex had picked up her boyfriend's habit of just showing up at Ji Hoo's place unannounced.

"Yoon Ji Hoo, may I come in?" she asked, glancing down at Fluffy who was sniffing at her.

Ji Hoo nodded. He commanded Fluffy to go and lie down and ushered Alex in. "May I get you some tea?"

"Yes, thank you."

Ji Hoo escorted Alex to the living room. She took a seat and smoothed out her skirt, cringing and picking a dog hair off it. Ji Hoo began to prepare the tea.

"What can I do for you, Alex?" Ji Hoo asked, as he brought the tea. Alex took the cup he handed to her, and she took a sip before beginning.

"Well, I'm not quite sure how to say this…well, I'm not sure how to say it politely, but…I'm concerned about this whole thing with Joon Pyo and Jan Di."

"What thing?"

"Them being friends…"

"Well, I don't think it's really anything to be concerned about."

"Were you not at that dinner? Didn't you see the way they were flirting? Didn't it bother you? You're really not concerned at all?"

That was flirting to Alex? Ji Hoo found it unusual and formerly characteristic of Joon Pyo and Jan Di, but he wouldn't have called it flirting. And the accusation angered Ji Hoo. He suddenly felt the strong need to defend his wife's honor, but he remained calm. Ji Hoo could understand how Alex could be upset by Jan Di and Joon Pyo's strange connection. He himself struggled with the tiny gnawing rodent that was his insecurity. Ji Hoo recalled his conversation with Jan Di; she had eased that for him.

"You've misunderstood, Alex. And no, I'm not concerned," he said firmly, a hint of warning in his tone.

"I just don't think Joon Pyo has let go of Jan Di. He still has things…belongings, memorabilia of her…"

Ji Hoo sighed, "Well, there's nothing wrong with having a few keepsakes from your past…" Ji Hoo himself had kept things of Seo Hyun and Jan Di. Of course, he had eventually gotten rid of his Seo Hyun keepsakes.

"Ji Hoo, how can you be so calm about this? Oh yeah, look who I'm talking to…," Alex wrung her hands.

"Alex, they're just friends," Ji Hoo reiterated.

"Yes, well you and Jan Di were just friends, weren't you? And look how that turned out…," Alex glanced away.

"Alex, you are on dangerous ground," Ji Hoo raised his voice in a cautionary tone.

Alex sighed, "I'm sorry, Ji Hoo. I was out of line."

Ji Hoo exhaled. "Don't make something of this that it's not, OK? I think we just need to trust in the people we're with."

Alex rubbed her temples. "I know. Joon Pyo and I have just been going through a rough time lately…so I'm a bit…," she sighed, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Look, I don't know what's going on with you and Joon Pyo, but you don't have to worry about Jan Di. She and I are very happy together. I trust my wife and my best friend, too. When you love someone, you trust them, Alex. If you love Joon Pyo…you should trust him, too."

Alex nodded. Though Ji Hoo's words were a bit too touchy-feely, they rang true with her. She smiled softly at how idealistic he was. "It must be nice living in this fairy tale world of yours, Yoon Ji Hoo…," she smirked at him.

Ji Hoo shook his head at her. "Anyway, why are you talking to me about this? Shouldn't you be talking to Joon Pyo?"

Alex sighed, "You're right," she rose and stuck her hand out to Ji Hoo. He shook it. "Thank you for your time, Ji Hoo. I'd appreciate if you kept this conversation between us."

Ji Hoo paused, not liking the idea of keeping secrets from Jan Di. He sighed and nodded before escorting her out.


Alex berated herself incessantly for going to Ji Hoo. What was I thinking? How desperate was I to go to his best friend who I barely know for help? Was Joon Pyo right? Am I really insecure?

Alex never wanted to show any kind of weakness around anyone, least of all Joon Pyo. Though their relationship had been on and off for the past year, usually because one of them was being proud or stubborn, she found herself very invested in the relationship. Alex didn't allow herself to think about such things often, but she was beginning to realize that she was falling in love with Joon Pyo. She wondered if he felt the same.

They didn't say things like "I love you" to each other or talk about their relationship. Sure, they showed each other affection through hugs and kisses, but they didn't say the words. She had to admit, they didn't communicate well, but it was something she wanted to change.

Joon Pyo would occasionally make some gesture toward her, though, that suggested he felt more strongly. For instance, they'd been traveling a lot for business. Once in Paris, she'd mentioned an item that caught her eye and he'd remembered and surprised her with it later. She wasn't sure when he'd had the time to buy it. And even though they were busy, he always cleared a bit of time here and there to take her someplace, just the two of them. Those who didn't know Joon Pyo very well would never imagine that he had a romantic side to him, but he did. She had to admit, she liked seeing that side peek out from underneath the covers now and again.

Alex recalled Ji Hoo's words, and he'd made her think about how she truly felt about Joon Pyo. If I love him, I should trust him... And Ji Hoo was right. She should trust Joon Pyo. If she ever wanted to have a deeper relationship with him, she needed to communicate her feelings to him and trust in him.

So he had a past with Jan Di, so what! If Ji Hoo was able to come to terms with that, then so could she! It wasn't like she'd never dated other men…

Alex made up her mind to have the dreaded relationship status discussion with Joon Pyo. She feared what might come out of it…what if he didn't feel the same? What if he still had remaining feelings for Jan Di? Perhaps she would always be second place to Jan Di… But it needed to be done before she lost her head again and did something else she'd regret.


Jan Di returned home from work to the sound of Ji Hoo's violin pleasantly caressing her ears. She smiled at the comfort it brought after a long day at the hospital. She attempted to sneak in so that she could listen a bit longer and catch a glimpse of him playing before he noticed her presence. Unfortunately, she tripped over one of Fluffy's bones and the music stopped.

Ji Hoo came out and smiled. "Are you OK?"

She nodded sheepishly.

Ji Hoo gave her a warm hug and kiss hello.

"Oh, hang on." He went back into the bedroom and came out, presenting her with an envelope.

"Open it," he said.

Jan Di opened the envelope. Inside were two tickets to Paris in their names.

Jan Di smiled widely, "What's this?"

"Just an early anniversary gift. How would you like to go to Paris?" he asked.

Jan Di threw her arms around Ji Hoo. "I'd love that!"

"I made all the arrangements at work," he said, holding her.

"Really?" she grinned, "You just think of everything, don't you?"

He smiled and kissed her forehead.

"Now, you know that Seo Hyun will want to get together with us if she knows we're going to Paris. Since it's such a short trip and our anniversary, do you want to keep it quiet so it can just be about us?"

Jan Di thought for a moment. She was very fond of Seo Hyun, and it would be nice to see her. She had to admit that there were times when she was jealous of Seo Hyun, but that was in the past. She'd only recently berated Ji Hoo for his insecurity, so she wouldn't be a hypocrite. She wouldn't avoid seeing Seo Hyun.

"Of course not! I mean, I'd definitely like time to ourselves, but we can't go to Paris without seeing Seo Hyun Unnie!"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Do you want to tell her, or should I?"

"We can tell her together," Jan Di said.

A/N: I suppose this chapter could also have been titled Insecurity...that seemed to be the theme.