Family, Love & Loyalty 3

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Two Weeks Ago

Joon Pyo awoke mid-shout and bolted upright in his massive four poster bed. He was tangled amidst the luxurious sheets, beads of sweat glistening like tiny crystals upon his chest.

He'd had yet another nightmare about Alex being harmed by Hyun-Woo. Recalling the sickening images, Joon Pyo clenched his forehead with both hands, as he willed his heaving chest to settle.

Since Alex was taken, Joon Pyo's mind had been ravaged by tiny guilt invaders. And between those thoughts were the sweet memories of Alex, which were in a way even more torturous...

Alex… She deserved so much better than him. And Joon Pyo couldn't for the life of him fathom why she put up with him keeping her at bay for so long. He would pull her in and then push her away, like an indecisive child, never fully committing to her. It was not his intention to torment her, as he knew he had been, but he'd only just realized that he'd never fully let go of Jan Di…

Alex was beautiful, fiery, and she challenged him, just as Jan Di had. Perhaps that was why Joon Pyo had been so drawn to her… Perhaps, in the beginning at least, she was only a substitute for Jan Di…


Joon Pyo recalled comforting Alex the night she learned of Joo-Won's death. As he held her in his arms that night, he felt an aching in his chest, an aching for her pain, for her… And in that moment, he realized that he truly cared for her. They had developed a bond, tender and special. But, he hadn't been in love with her then… Even when Alex kissed him, he felt nothing like what he felt when he first kissed Jan Di on the swings.

Then later, in a moment of weakness, Joon Pyo had initiated a kiss with Alex. Kissing Alex the first time had been a mistake. It had been an impulsive act that was a direct result of his broken heart. And he'd told her as much. Nevertheless, Alex remained by his side.

Alex was there to repair the shattered pieces of Joon Pyo's heart after losing Jan Di, and she had done her work well. Still, getting over Jan Di had been one of the most difficult things Joon Pyo had ever had to do. At one time he couldn't imagine ever getting over Jan Di or ever being able to be truly happy for her and Ji Hoo.

Though Joon Pyo was no longer raw about it, and he was able to be friends with both of them again, he had to admit that still resented them both a bit. He resented the life they'd built together. They had something he'd always wanted, a real family. These dark, selfish thoughts left Joon Pyo guiltridden…


Joon Pyo pounded both fists upon his ultra-soft bed, clenching the sheets and wrinkling them between his fingers. He resolutely went to his dresser and pulled out a small turquoise box. He ran his thumb over the lid and popped it open.

Inside, nestled among the velvet, was a necklace that he'd designed for Alex. He'd been hanging onto it for awhile now, unable to bring himself to actually give it to her. This golden necklace was one of a kind, as the star-and-moon necklace that he'd given Jan Di had been.

Joon Pyo recalled Jan Di attempting to give that necklace back to him after she and Ji Hoo committed to each other… With moistened eyes, she'd told him that she greatly valued it but that she didn't feel right keeping it now. Though Joon Pyo knew that Jan Di and Ji Hoo were together, this gesture had inexplicably hurt him.

He'd sharply growled at her, saying that he didn't want it back and that she should either keep it or throw it out if she didn't want it. Joon Pyo recalled Jan Di's eyes widening in shock and horror at his harsh reaction.


The Present

Hyun-Woo approached Ji Hoo, Jan Di, and Secretary Park, fearless and cocky, not as a wanted man but one who could simply come and go as he pleased. Hyun-Woo had not attempted to avoid Ji Hoo; quite the contrary, he'd called out his name. It was clear that Hyun-Woo did not fear Ji Hoo, at least not in this place.

Does he have something up his sleeve? Ji Hoo wondered.

Jan Di kept her head low to avoid being recognized by her former kidnapper and the man who had threatened her child. She felt anger welling within her chest at the thought and also a hint of fear.

Hyun-Woo observed Ji Hoo's arm protectively encircling the girl next to him as he approached. Seeing Hyun-Woo take notice of this, Ji Hoo nonchalantly dropped his arm from Jan Di.

Then, in one quick step, Ji Hoo was in front of Jan Di. Ji Hoo and Hyun-Woo were mere feet away now, facing each other head-on. Hyun-Woo attempted to catch another peek at the girl behind Ji Hoo, but his body was shielding her from view.

"Kim Hyun-Woo. I'm surprised to see you here. Shouldn't you be in hiding somewhere?" Ji Hoo's face was stone.

Hyun-Woo smirked. He shot a glance to Secretary Park and then back to Ji Hoo. "Why should I hide?" Hyun-Woo asked, as if it was a ridiculous notion.

"Well, most cowardly men who kidnap women and are wanted by the police do stay in hiding," Ji Hoo replied.

Hyun-Woo stared icily at Ji Hoo. "Well, I'm not most men. And I'm surprised to see you here, Yoon Ji Hoo…what are you doing here?"

Ji Hoo said nothing.

"Do you know the type of men you're up against? Aren't you afraid?" Hyun-Woo raised a brow. Ji Hoo simply met Hyun-Woo's self-assured gaze with a confident one of his own.

Hyun-Woo scoffed and digressed. "Well, who's this?" he again attempted to sneak a peek at the girl behind Ji Hoo. Jan Di simply kept her head low and stayed behind Ji Hoo and next to Secretary Park.

"Just some waitress," Ji Hoo said carelessly, turning toward Jan Di. "You may go now," Ji Hoo said in his most callous voice but giving Jan Di a private loving look.

"You'll take care of that for me?" Ji Hoo asked of Secretary Park. Secretary Park nodded.

"And let me know when it's done," Ji Hoo added. "Yes, sir," Secretary Park replied and began to lead Jan Di away.

"Wait, Miss!" Hyun-Woo called out. Jan Di instinctively snapped her head back at Hyun-Woo. Their eyes met briefly, sending pinpricks up and down her spine. Hyun-Woo squinted at Jan Di, as if trying to place her, and then a self-assured smile crossed his lips.

"You look so familiar…have we met before?" he asked, grinning.

Hyun-Woo is suspicious..., Ji Hoo thought.

Hyun-Woo stepped forward, toward Jan Di. Ji Hoo's body tensed all over, but he worked to temper his response. Ji Hoo also stepped forward, once more erecting a blockade with his body between Hyun-Woo and Jan Di. Hyun-Woo read Ji Hoo's response.

Jan Di gave a quick shake of the head to indicate they had never met, bowed, and was quickly led away by Secretary Park. Ji Hoo watched Secretary Park and Jan Di descend the stairs. Jan Di, I love you…please be safe…


Ji Hoo turned back to Hyun-Woo, who was grinning at him wickedly.

"Why Yoon Ji Hoo, you rascal! Picking up a waitress! Aren't you married now? I didn't know you were the type of guy to play around," Hyun-Woo smirked at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo felt like punching Hyun-Woo in the face, but rather he simply shrugged and replied, "I'm just a man."

Hyun-Woo gave a short laugh, "True. Well, she was a pretty little thing… Mind if I borrow her when you're done with her?" There was a glint in his eye.

Hyun-Woo was clearly suspicious…

Ji Hoo remained expressionless. "Why would I mind? She's not mine. But right now, there's business to be discussed."


"Ji Hoo, what the hell is—?!" Hyun-Woo and Ji Hoo both turned to see Joon Pyo suddenly emerge from the room in which F4 had been meeting with Kim Jong-Soo.

Ji Hoo had long since learned to read his best friend's facial expressions and body language, and he could tell Joon Pyo was only a split-second from lashing out physically at Hyun-Woo. Ji Hoo glanced to the guns on the guards' belts and put a hand out to stop Joon Pyo just as he stepped aggressively toward Hyun-Woo.

"Why YOU bastard! Where is she?!" Joon Pyo shouted, as Ji Hoo barely held him back. In one swift step, the guards moved in front of Kim Hyun-Woo and reached for their weapons. Hyun-Woo looked on from behind them, taking great pleasure in Joon Pyo's reaction.

Fearing he would be forced to watch his temperamental best friend shot before his eyes, Ji Hoo placed himself between Joon Pyo and the guards. Ji Hoo faced Joon Pyo and put both hands on his shoulders, giving him a reassuring look in an attempt to subdue him.

"Joon Pyo," Ji Hoo said in his most calming tone. But Joon Pyo was currently engaged in an intense stare-down with Hyun-Woo.

"Joon Pyo," Ji Hoo repeated, more insistent this time, as he gave Joon Pyo's shoulders a light squeeze. Ji Hoo felt Joon Pyo quivering with rage, and his fists were tightly balled at his sides.

Finally, Joon Pyo met Ji Hoo's eyes. "Joon Pyo, it's OK," Ji Hoo gave Joon Pyo an assured look and attempted to convey a message. At his first chance, Ji Hoo would reveal the information Jan Di had told him about Alex.

Joon Pyo wasn't thinking clearly, and he didn't always pick up on the cues of others, but nearly 20 years of friendship gave the two men an unconscious connection. And something in Ji Hoo's gaze soothed Joon Pyo. Joon Pyo relaxed ever so slightly, and Hyun-Woo motioned for the guards to lower their weapons.

"Goo Joon Pyo," Hyun-Woo greeted haughtily, "We meet again… What have you been up to?!"

Joon Pyo was silent, his eyes burning into Hyun-Woo like a candle flame into wax. Ji Hoo stood at Joon Pyo's side with a hand placed firmly on his shoulder.

"So, I hear that Yoon Ji Hoo here bested you in love!" Hyun-Woo exclaimed, grinning wildly, "I was a bit surprised, actually…" The temptation to insult the both of them, particularly Joon Pyo, was far too great for Hyun-Woo.

Joon Pyo's breathing became hectic, and his chest heaved. Joon Pyo clenched his jaw and made a subtle move toward Hyun-Woo but stopped when he felt Ji Hoo catch him by the crook of the arm. He and Ji Hoo exchanged a look.

But Joon Pyo could not remain silent. "At least I don't have to resort to kidnapping my women!" he spat.

A white-hot rage ignited in Hyun-Woo's cold eyes. Hyun-Woo's men raised their weapons once more, preparing for an order to punish Joon Pyo for the comment, but Hyun-Woo held up a hand. He would bide his time…

Before anything further could transpire between the enemies, a guard stepped out of the meeting room, interrupting. "Excuse me, gentlemen. The boss insists that you come back and join us."

Jong-Soo's guard noticed Hyun-Woo and bowed. "Kim Hyun-Woo-ssi, sir, could you join us also?"

Joon Pyo and Hyun-Woo exchanged one last electrically-charged stare before Ji Hoo ushered Joon Pyo back into the room, followed by Hyun-Woo and his guards.


Jan Di headed toward the exit of the club with Secretary Park gently guiding her by the arm. Her unease was growing and tangling within her, overtaking her like wild vines upon realizing Kim Hyun-Woo was there. She desperately wished she could help Ji Hoo and F3 in some way. Ji Hoo obviously wanted her to be safe, and she didn't want to cause more trouble…but was there absolutely nothing she could do?

Jan Di glanced at Secretary Park, and suddenly her guilt over her deception returned. "Joesonghaeyo," she mumbled, hanging her head.

"It's alright, Miss," Secretary Park replied with a warm smile.

Miss now, huh? She supposed it was better than Madam. After what she'd done, he could call her anything he wanted.

As they walked, Jan Di continued to brood. "Secretary Park, will they…be OK?"

"Yes. Don't worry, Miss. They have a plan."

Jan Di nodded. She believed his words, and she believed in F4, but she couldn't ignore the sense of dread lodging itself deep within her stomach. Her only consolation was that she would be returning home to her son soon.

Just then, Jan Di's phone rang. It was Ga Eul, probably getting back to her after a series of frantic messages from a nervous mother. "Excuse me, Secretary Park, I should take this quickly." Secretary Park nodded. Jan Di stepped down a quieter corridor to answer her phone, while Secretary Park stood guard.


Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo returned to the room with the others. F2 looked up, stunned to see Kim Hyun-Woo walk into the room. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong exchanged a look.

"Ah, welcome back, gentleman!" Jong-Soo said, throwing up a hand. "And there he is, my son!" Jong-Soo displayed a haughty smile. F4 did not miss Hyun-Woo's subtle sneer. The men all sat and continued their discussion.

The tension in the room was palpable all around, especially between Hyun-Woo and Jong-Soo and between Joon Pyo and Hyun-Woo. The men exchanged looks dripping with pure poison.

At one point, Joon Pyo appeared as though he may lunge across the table at Hyun-Woo. Ji Hoo rested a hand on Joon Pyo's shoulder for a moment to ease him, despite his equally strong hatred for Kim Hyun-Woo.


"We were just discussing how you boys have put me in quite the bind…," Kim Jong-Soo began, "...it seems you have been responsible for the incarceration of a number of my associates… You must have some inside information. I must say, I'm surprised the cowardly police force would dare to go after my men," he glanced around the room at each member of F4.

"And then there's this issue of the press… Thanks to you and your little F4, Prince Song, my club has been quite the hot topic…and not in the good way. Business is down, and some nosier reporters and law enforcement officials, apparently with death wishes…have been sniffing around. Something must be done about this…"

"We have no intention of shutting down your little…operation here, that is unless we're forced to…," Woo Bin rubbed his chin and grinned at the mafia boss. Jong-Soo glared at Woo Bin, vowing to wipe the smug smile off his much younger rival's face at his first chance.

He continued to stare Woo Bin down for a moment. "I see. Then tell me, Prince Song, why I shouldn't just kill all of you right now?" Jong-Soo stared maliciously at Woo Bin. Woo Bin met his gaze, unflinching.

Woo Bin leaned across the table, as if to tell Jong-Soo a secret, "Because…you think business is bad now? You think you have trouble now? What do you think is going to happen after murdering the sons of the four most powerful families in South Korea?"

Woo Bin and Jong-Soo continued to stare at one another, the tension electric. Slowly, the corners of Jong-Soo's wicked mouth curved upward and he gave a hearty laugh. "Well, that's debatable, but I see your point… Well, you have my attention, Prince Song. What is it that you want?"

"It's simple, Kim Jong-Soo-ssi… We just want to go about our lives in peace. We want the Blue Dragon Clan to leave us and our families and friends alone. We don't want you or any of your associates to go near any of the people we care about. If we so much as suspect that you aren't keeping up your end of the bargain, there will be real problems…"

Jong-Soo rubbed his chin. "That's all you ask, eh? How very…noble of you, Prince Song…"

Joon Pyo and Woo Bin exchanged a glance. "Oh, one more thing," Woo Bin added, "Kim Hyun-Woo has taken one of our friends. We want her back."

Woo Bin glanced to Hyun-Woo, who was glaring maliciously back at him. Then Woo Bin turned his eyes to Joon Pyo, who was silently seething and had fixed a cold stare upon Hyun-Woo.

Jong-Soo nodded, "Yes, we know about the girl… I can't say that I condone my son's actions on this one… But, he is my son after all," Jong-Soo smirked over at Hyun-Woo, who glowered back. "Still, perhaps I could be swayed to hand her over…for a fee… "

It was clear that Hyun-Woo was struggling to remain silent.

Woo Bin seemed to contemplate this. "We could pay you a ransom…yes, or perhaps…we'll just bust up your club if you don't agree to hand over Alex Lee…," Woo Bin leaned in once more, a sly grin crossing his handsome face.

Jong-Soo laughed maniacally. "I'm impressed, Prince Song. Your negotiation tactics are not bad," Jong-Soo interlaced his fingers and leaned back in his chair. "Your father would be proud… But still, what makes you think you can achieve such a thing? You think you could take on all of my men?"

"Perhaps not. But, whether we can or not, we can stir things up... Wouldn't it be…easier to just cooperate with us? After all, it would be a shame to ruin the good time of all these beautiful people in your club by making a scene…"

Jong-Soo squinted over at Woo Bin. "You're very confident, Song Woo Bin. You have guts; I'll give you that…," Jong-Soo cocked his head and an evil look crossed his face. Guts I intend to spill…

Then, Jong-Soo laughed. "Well, the girl really matters nothing to me. But why all this trouble for one woman?"

Woo Bin cracked his knuckles and shrugged. "It's no trouble for us."

Jong-Soo rubbed his chin, "I'm actually quite impressed with you all. Perhaps you would make good allies…"

Suddenly, Hyun-Woo slammed his fist upon the table. "Could I speak with you for a moment, Father?!" the last word left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Jong-Soo shot a cautionary glance at his son, who was seething. "Not now," he snarled.

Hyun-Woo's face burned and his muscles grew taut. He opened his mouth to speak, trembling with rage, and then hastily exited the room like a petulant four year old.


In the midst of the negotiations, Ji Hoo had subtly excused himself to go to the bathroom.

Jong-Soo glanced up, " him," he said to one of his men. Ji Hoo tightened his mouth and met Jong-Soo's eyes. "It's a big club. Wouldn't want you to get lost," Jong-Soo said with a grin.

Ji Hoo nodded. "Kamsahamnida." It was clear that Jong-Soo did not want them going anywhere, and he certainly did not trust them.

Ji Hoo was led down an ill-lit corridor to the bathrooms by one of the armed guards. Upon arrival, the guard began to follow him inside. "Is this really necessary?" Ji Hoo asked, annoyed.

The guard stared Ji Hoo down and then folded his arms, "Fine, be quick."


Hyun-Woo ran his fingers through his hair and leaned against the balcony of the second floor of the club. He hadn't known F4 was going to be there, but it seemed like his father had and kept it from him. What was his father's endgame here?

How dare he offer to hand over Alex! Hyun-Woo was becoming furious just thinking of his father using Alex as a bargaining tool with F4, even if it was all a lie. And what of this ally business?!

But if he knew his father like he thought he did, it would not be that simple. His father was an arrogant, deceptive, vile man, and he would surely try to exploit F4 for all they were worth, that is if he didn't simply intend to kill them after all.

He would probably torture them first, Hyun-Woo thought. He wondered if perhaps he should just sit back and let his father go through with whatever he had planned. F4 was certainly a pain, and he wanted nothing more than to be rid of them. But first things first, he needed to move Alex and ensure they would not discover her.

As Hyun-Woo prepared to head downstairs, his eyes roamed the crowd below. He noticed the woman in the crimson dress from earlier, the one who was with Yoon Ji Hoo, the waitress. She was being escorted to the exit of the club by the man from earlier that Yoon Ji Hoo had ordered to take care of something for him.

Hyun-Woo thought back upon the face of the girl from earlier, the girl who Yoon Ji Hoo had been guarding so closely, despite trying to play it off. He'd only caught a glimpse of her face, but Hyun-Woo never forgot a face. It clicked, and a malicious grin crossed his lips.

Well, well, well, what are you doing here?


The booming music and voices of the club faded, as Ji Hoo entered the bathroom. Ji Hoo checked to see that the room was empty, and then he went into a stall.

F4 had been searched upon arrival, but Woo Bin had them all wearing the latest Bluetooth technology, tiny headsets expertly hidden behind their ears. Ji Hoo positioned the tiny bud in place, "Woo Bin," Ji Hoo spoke, "Can you hear me?"

Woo Bin was still in the room with the Blue Dragon Clan leader, but he used the agreed upon code word to indicate that he could hear him.

That, in and of itself, had been quite the endeavor, agreeing upon their "code words" for the operation. Yi Jeong had wanted to keep it simple and obscure, such as a series of coughs. Woo Bin agreed with that, but also had a few choice phrases and English words that he wanted to use. After some deliberation, they agreed that it didn't matter and came to a consensus.

"Change of plans," Ji Hoo said, "Alex is here, downstairs in the basement. I'll go and free her, but I don't want to draw attention, and I don't know how many men are guarding her. Perhaps you could send some backup for me, discreetly?"


As soon as Joon Pyo heard over the open line that Alex was there he immediately made an excuse to leave the room. Hyun-Woo had also left and could be on his way back to Alex. Joon Pyo needed to get to Alex before he could.

Jong-Soo had insisted that Joon Pyo also be escorted. Joon Pyo had scoffed but allowed it. Joon Pyo was escorted down the long, darkened corridor toward the bathrooms. As they approached the guard waiting for Ji Hoo, Joon Pyo quickly reached out, grabbing both of the guards and slamming their heads together.

Ji Hoo exited the bathroom and came face-to-face with Joon Pyo. "Joon Pyo, what are you—?"

"I'm going with you to get Alex back."

Ji Hoo nodded, "OK." He glanced down at the two unconscious men at his feet. "Nice work, Joon Pyo."

Joon Pyo simply nodded.

"But now they're going to be onto us. We better hurry before they come to," Ji Hoo said.

"Come on, let's go!" Joon Pyo insisted.


Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo made their way down to the lower level. "I'm going to check on Jan Di," Ji Hoo said, as they hastily walked. He positioned his headset and spoke in a clear but low tone. "Secretary Park… Secretary Park…can you hear me?" Ji Hoo began.

Secretary Park's voice came over the headset, "Yes, sir."

Ji Hoo could hear loud music blasting in the background. They must still be in the club…

"Is the otter safe?" Secretary Park was aware of Ji Hoo's nickname for Jan Di, but Joon Pyo was not, and he looked at Ji Hoo curiously.

"We're leaving the club now, sir," Secretary Park replied.

"Good. Notify me immediately when you arrive."

"Yes, sir."

"So, she's safe?" Joon Pyo asked after Ji Hoo ended the conversation.

"Secretary Park is taking her home now," Ji Hoo replied.

Joon Pyo nodded. Then, he tightened his mouth. "What the hell was Jan Di doing here anyway?" Joon Pyo demanded.

"She was worried, so she came to check on us."

"That was a stupid thing to do!" Joon Pyo snapped.

"Hey, Joon Pyo, go easy on her…she was just trying to help."

"Well, she could have compromised our mission, or worse, gotten herself hurt or killed…"

"I know that."

"You need to better control your wife!" Joon Pyo blurted out. Ji Hoo gaped at Joon Pyo. But, he knew that Joon Pyo was just worried and frustrated.

"You know as well as I do, Joon Pyo, that Jan Di is independent. It's something I've always admired in her, and I think that it's something you've always liked about her, too."

"That's fine for everyday life, but this is serious business, and one of these days that independence of hers is going to cause real problems!"

Ji Hoo grew silent, unsure of how to respond. They continued toward the stairs to the basement.


After a moment of tense silence, Joon Pyo exhaled and glanced at Ji Hoo.

"…The otter?" Joon Pyo furrowed his brow.

Ji Hoo gave a small chuckle, "Oh, that's just my nickname for Jan Di."

Joon Pyo scoffed. "Sounds kind of insulting to me…," Joon Pyo seemed perplexed, "…Otter? Is that the animal with big teeth that builds dams?"

Ji Hoo had to stifle his laughter. "No, Joon Pyo, that's a beaver! Otters are the semi-aquatic mammals with short ears and limbs and long tails. You remember; we saw that mother otter and her babies at the zoo when we were kids."

"Oh," Joon Pyo squinted over at Ji Hoo, "…Why do you call her an otter?"

Ji Hoo smiled, as they walked together in stride. "Well, because she's cute, hard-working, and she loves the water, just like an otter."

Joon Pyo looked at Ji Hoo as if he'd lost his mind. Joon Pyo scoffed, "That's a terrible nickname to give to your wife…"

Ji Hoo gaped, "Well, it's better than calling her a dry cleaner or a weed," he retorted.

"Hey, the Dry Cleaner nickname at least described her profession. And the Weed name was a compliment; it meant that she was stubborn…but in a good way. You're calling her a beady-eyed little animal."

Ji Hoo shook his head. "I call her other things, too," he digressed, "…So, what do you call Alex?"

Joon Pyo thought for a moment. He'd given her a few different terms of endearment over the course of their relationship, most of them not so flattering. It only reinforced the notion that he had not treated her as he should have.

Joon Pyo was the kind of man to show his affection in ways that did not seem like affection at all, but Alex understood and accepted this about him. He had done the same with Jan Di, masking his affection behind a guise of bravado and jerkiness...

"I just call her by her name," Joon Pyo said matter-of-factly,

Sensing that Joon Pyo wanted to terminate any further conversation, Ji Hoo simply nodded and said, "Well, let's go get her back." And they made their way down the steps to the basement.


Backup from Woo Bin had arrived to assist Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo. The men were dressed as club employees. Because the basement was rather large with a number of doors, Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo decided to split up. They began checking rooms for Alex.

Ji Hoo headed down a corridor on the opposite end of the hall from Joon Pyo; he heard voices. He peered into the room and saw Alex there, tied to a bed. It did not appear that Hyun-Woo had returned, and only two men were guarding her. Clearly Hyun-Woo had not been expecting a rescue attempt this night. Ji Hoo spoke low into the headset, "Joon Pyo, I found her." Ji Hoo and one of Woo Bin's undercover men watched and waited for the right moment.


Hyun-Woo's eyes remained fixed, as a hawk's on its prey, upon the woman in the red dress below. He picked up his phone and dialed. "See the woman approaching the door now?" Hyun-Woo described a petite woman with long brown hair, wearing a red dress.

"Yes, sir," came the voice on the other end.

"Detain her. And then bring her to me."

"Yes, sir."

Hyun-Woo hung up. He really had no interest in being bothered with the girl. His priority now was to move Alex so that F4 would not discover her, but it couldn't hurt to have some leverage, just in case. Hyun-Woo headed down the stairs, his two bodyguards at his side.


Secretary Park led Jan Di toward the exit of the raucous club. "Everything was fine at home?" he asked, as he glanced all around, ever vigilant. "Mm. Seok-Young is sleeping. And Grandfather is there now, too," Jan Di replied. Secretary Park nodded.

When they approached the exit, they were stopped by three men in suits at the door.

"Excuse me, Miss, but the boss would like to see you," the man smiled at her, yet somehow his smile sent unpleasant shivers throughout her body.

"Eh? Me?" Jan Di stared at the man, stupefied, and then looked to Secretary Park. Why would the boss want to see me? Jan Di wondered. Have I been recognized…by Kim Hyun-Woo earlier perhaps?

"I'm sorry, sir, but you must have her mistaken for someone else. She could have no business with your boss. Excuse us…" Secretary Park bowed and attempted to pass by them with Jan Di.

"No, there's no mistake," the man said, while another held out his hand to stop them. "He requested her personally. Could you please come with me, Miss?" the man asked, reaching for Jan Di.

Secretary Park stood between the man and Jan Di. "I'm sorry, but she has business elsewhere."


"Where are you going, sweetheart?" Jan Di turned upon hearing a voice that made her skin crawl. She could never forget that chilling voice…

Jan Di met the gaze of Kim Hyun-Woo, as Secretary Park held her shoulders protectively. Secretary Park also met Hyun-Woo's eyes. Hyun-Woo smirked at them, crossing his arms.

"Excuse us, we were just leaving." Secretary Park once more began to lead Jan Di by the shoulders toward the door and past the men.

"Oh, but you can't leave. I have some business with Mrs. Yoon here." Jan Di flinched.

He did recognize me…


Jan Di had only heard of poker; it was not a game she claimed to understand or imagined being very good at at all, but Secretary Park was apparently adept at it. Jan Di watched Secretary Park's face, which seemed to give nothing away. "No," Secretary Park replied firmly, with expressionless eyes. "I'm afraid you are mistaken. This is not who you think."

Secretary Park turned back to Jan Di, "Let's go, Miss," he said in a gentle but insistent voice.

But, apparently Hyun-Woo was also quite familiar with bluffing. "Stop right there!" Hyun-Woo demanded. Secretary Park and Jan Di turned back slowly after the three men blocked their path.

"My apologies for the mistake," Hyun-Woo said. "What is your name then, Miss?" Jan Di hesitated but then Secretary Park immediately made up a fake name for her. He's good…

"Don't lie to me!" Hyun-Woo hissed at Secretary Park. After a hand motion from Hyun-Woo, two of the doormen moved to flank Secretary Park, each taking an arm.

Jan Di looked helplessly at Secretary Park. He seemed to be planning his next move. Secretary Park was a calm, rational man, and he was exceedingly loyal to Ji Hoo. Though he was not a brawny man, he was a bodyguard in the truest sense of the word. She knew he would not hesitate to do anything to protect Ji Hoo and now by extension, her.

"You don't want to make a scene here, do you? Just let the girl go," Secretary Park breathed.

"I don't care about making a scene," Hyun-Woo got in Secretary Park's face slightly.

Hyun-Woo grasped Jan Di by the arms and began pulling her away. "No, let her go!" Secretary Park shouted out. Jan Di looked back at Secretary Park, as she struggled in Hyun-Woo's grasp. Secretary Park slipped from the men's hold and twisted one of the men's arms behind his back with one arm while punching a second man with the other. "Control him!" Hyun-Woo demanded, and he sent his two bodyguards to subdue Secretary Park. There were some gasps and shocked looks around them, but no one did anything.

Hyun-Woo held Jan Di tight against him, one arm around her waist and the other around her shoulders. Jan Di noticed that one of the men had pulled a gun and jabbed it into Secretary Park's back. The two he'd attacked recovered and grabbed his arms once more, while the gun was held on him.

Jan Di knew that Secretary Park would not hesitate to take a bullet for her, but she certainly could not allow that to happen. "Don't hurt him!" Jan Di cut in, "…Leave him be, and I'll go with you," she hissed.

"No, Miss!" Secretary Park urged.

"It's OK." Jan Di attempted to assure Secretary Park with her eyes, though she had no clue what she was doing. She simply could not stand to see Secretary Park or anyone else hurt on her behalf, so she would find a way out of this later. Hyun-Woo began to lead Jan Di away roughly by the arm.

But, Secretary Park was not going to stand for it. He paused for only a split-second before beginning to fight once more. Jan Di noticed him mumble something as if to himself before being knocked hard in the back of the head with the of a gun.

"No, stop! Leave him alone!" Jan Di struggled, as she watched another man punch Secretary Park in the stomach. Then, the two men dragged him outside of the club, while the bodyguards looked on.

Jan Di struggled in Hyun-Woo's grasp and attempted to slip free. He held her tighter. "Don't resist, unless you want your bodyguard to suffer the consequences."

"What are they going to do to him?" Jan Di demanded of Hyun-Woo, as he dragged her off. She was terrified that they would further hurt or kill Secretary Park. She felt tears forming in her eyes, but she fought them, refusing to give Hyun-Woo the satisfaction.

"Nothing, so long as you cooperate," he replied.

"Why should I believe you?" Jan Di snarled.

"Because you have no other choice right now."

"What do you want with me?"

Hyun-Woo scoffed. "You're just an insurance policy in case F4 causes problems. Thank you so much for coming, by the way!"


Woo Bin and Yi Jeong remained in the room with Jong-Soo and his guards. Jong-Soo had made his interest in having the Mafia Prince on his side known and had even offered to throw Alex in on the deal. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong feigned interest to buy time, hoping Jong-Soo failed to notice how long Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo had been gone.

They were currently talking and joking with the Blue Dragon leader. Despite Kim Jong-Soo's current jovial appearance, Woo Bin had the feeling that this was one of those 'Join me or Die' type of offers.

Just then, Jong-Soo received a call, and he grew eerily silent. Jong-Soo's eyes narrowed, as he stared over at Woo Bin and Yi Jeong.

"What are you trying to pull, Song Woo Bin?" Jong-Soo demanded in a sinister tone. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong feigned ignorance, but Jong-Soo remained suspicious. Jong-Soo mumbled something into the phone, and several more armed men entered the room.

"I normally don't get involved in these matters, but I'm going to enjoy personally torturing the smart-mouthed little brat of Song Il Shim," Jong-Soo grinned maniacally.

Woo Bin and Yi Jeong exchanged a glance. Yi Jeong thought of his Ga Eul. All he wanted right now was to be home holding her in his arms.


Woo Bin's father, Il Shim, had sent a group of reinforcements, who were standing by in the alley and at each exit of the club awaiting instructions from Woo Bin. They had the place surrounded at all points of entry.

Il Shim's second-in-command stood there. He was an ex-special mission battalion officer of the Republic of Korea by the name of Shin Do-Hyun, but he was simply known by the clan as the Lone Wolf. He was a tall, muscular, ruggedly handsome man. He was dressed all in black, wearing a bullet proof vest and a cap. Next to him stood a petite soldier, a woman, also protected with a vest and dressed similarly, her cap covering her long mocha hair that she wore in a ponytail.

Do-Hyun spoke with a deep timbre into his headset, "Prince Song, sir, are you alright?"

There was no response.

"Captain, it's been too long…maybe we should go in," the woman next to him, known as the Tigress, insisted.

Captain Do-Hyun glanced at his tactical watch.

"I already sent a few men in to aid in rescuing the girl. The rest of us were told to wait for the command," Do-Hyun replied sternly.

"Aish!" the woman muttered, as she adjusted her cap and fidgeted. "I hate waiting…"

One corner of Do-Hyun's mouth curved upward. "What, are you worried about your boyfriend?"

The woman scoffed. "Worried? Please! It's Prince Song! Why would I worry?" She paused. "Still, I have a bad feeling about this…"

"Well, we can't just bust in there based solely on women's intuition," Do-Hyun smirked over at her. The Tigress gave him a light shove. But then her face grew somber and she began to fidget again.

Do-Hyun glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. He sighed. "Sir, do you copy? Shall we extract you?"

No response.

"He's in trouble. I just know it," the woman said.

Do-Hyun tightened his jaw and folded his strong arms. He checked his watch once more. "We'll give it two more minutes."

Just then, three men in suits dragged a barely conscious man from around the front of the building into the alley and dropped him to the ground.

"Hey!" Do-Hyun shouted out. The men stared in shock and began to run off. Do-Hyun ordered several of his men to pursue them, and he and his female companion rushed to the man on the ground.

They knelt beside the man, who appeared to have been beaten. Do-Hyun asked him if he knew who he was and checked his injuries.


Ji Hoo and Woo Bin's man moved in on the guards who held Alex. The Song Clan guard grabbed one of Hyun-Woo's men from behind and put him in a headlock, cutting off his respiration until he passed out. The other man guarding Alex turned just in time to receive a swift punch to the face from Ji Hoo.

"Well, that was almost too easy," Ji Hoo muttered, hoping he wasn't speaking too soon.

Alex looked up from the bed, wide eyed. "Yoon Ji Hoo!" Relief washed over her at seeing a friendly face. Ji Hoo rushed to Alex and untied her.

"Are you OK?" Ji Hoo asked, as he helped her up.

"Yes," she rubbed her sore, reddened wrists, "Thank you so much!" She glanced around, "But…where's Joon Pyo?"

"He should be here any minute. Don't worry," Ji Hoo smiled at her. "We need to get you out of here, though." Alex nodded. Ji Hoo turned to Woo Bin's undercover man, who had been doing surveillance on the club for days prior to this evening. "Do you know the way out?"

"Yes, sir, this way," and he ushered them up a set of stairs to a door leading to the alley.

The undercover man and Alex went first. Ji Hoo glanced back down the hall before exiting. He didn't see Joon Pyo. Ji Hoo tried to contact Joon Pyo again but received no answer. I wonder where he went…


Ji Hoo, Alex, and the undercover man made their way into the alley.

"Captain," one of the agents alerted Do-Hyun to the presence of Ji Hoo, Alex, and the undercover agent.

"Yoon Ji Hoo?" the female agent rushed to check on the girl he was guiding along. Two other men joined the female agent and relieved Ji Hoo of Alex.

"Oh, it's you," Ji Hoo said to the girl. Then he noticed Secretary Park lying on the ground.

"Secretary Park!" Ji Hoo rushed over and knelt beside his assistant. A medic was there tending to him, while a soldier wearing the Song Clan emblem looked on.

"He'll be fine. His injuries are minor," the man standing over Secretary Park said, "I'm Captain Shin Do-Hyun. I work for Song Il Shim."

Ji Hoo didn't respond and barely registered his words, for he was too preoccupied with scanning the area for Jan Di. Ji Hoo quickly realized that she was nowhere to be seen, and terror struck him.

"Secretary Park! What happened?! Where's Jan Di?!" Ji Hoo asked desperately.

Secretary Park groaned. "Kim Hyun-Woo took her… I'm so sorry, sir! I tried to stop it!" Secretary Park looked completely distraught. He was repeatedly apologizing and attempting to get up.

A wave of terror washed over Ji Hoo. "Stay here," he urged Secretary Park, and then Ji Hoo stood and ran toward the back door of the club.

"Please help him and take care of the girl!" Ji Hoo shouted back at Do-Hyun.

"Woo Bin…," Ji Hoo spoke frantically into his headset, informing him of the situation, but receiving no response. Then he tried Joon Pyo and Yi Jeong, but there was also no response. What's going on?! Where is everyone?!

Do-Hyun ordered several men to take Alex and Secretary Park to safety and to be treated for any injuries. He divided the rest into two teams, one team headed around to the front of the club and the other accompanied him. Do-Hyun went to Ji Hoo's side. The door Ji Hoo and Alex came through was locked. Do-Hyun requested Ji Hoo step back and kicked in the door for him. Once inside, the group split up to search for F3. Ji Hoo rushed ahead by himself.

Ji Hoo began frantically scouring the club for Jan Di. Desperate, terrified thoughts rampaged through Ji Hoo's mind, as he pushed past the masses, no longer caring about politeness. The crowds were filtering out of the club, as Song Clan soldiers rushed in to extract Song Woo Bin and F3.

Jan Di, where are you?! Please be safe!


Jong-Soo heard the commotion down below, as Il Shim's men swept into the club. The diversion was enough to allow Woo Bin and Yi Jeong to swiftly take out the men who had guns held on them. They rushed out, as Woo Bin tossed a "See ya! It's been fun!" back at Jong-Soo. Jong-Soo seethed and picked up his phone, demanding that F4 not be allowed to leave the club.


Due to the sudden chaos, Hyun-Woo pulled Jan Di along more urgently toward the basement. His thoughts centered on Alex. When Jan Di resisted he grabbed her by the waist and attempted to throw her over his shoulder. She managed to dig her fingernails into his face, leaving long scratches. Hyun-Woo clutched at his face, loosening his grip enough for Jan Di to wriggle free. She took off running. Having no time to waste on her, Hyun-Woo let her go and rushed to the basement to check on Alex.


Jan Di made her way through the club. She didn't know what was going on, and she feared for Ji Hoo, Secretary Park, and the others. She was being tossed back and forth in the frenzy. She craned her neck to see through the crowd, relieved that most of the people seemed to be leaving. The room was slowly becoming less congested, but there were also men with guns entering, and she couldn't tell from a glance whose side they were on.


Ji Hoo moved through the club as a parched man searching for water in the desert. All around him was chaos. Club patrons were shouting and frantically rushing out as armed men spilled in. Some were Song Clan soldiers, but Jong-Soo had also apparently increased his security. Ji Hoo's eyes darted all around the room searching for Jan Di.


Jan Di continued to scan the room, until she caught a glint of a familiar shade of russet hair. She immediately shouted out for Ji Hoo, who didn't appear to see her. She went up on the tips of her toes and raised a hand, calling his name. He finally saw her and called for her, too.

With renewed determination, Ji Hoo began pushing his way through the crowd. And Jan Di was trying to reach him, too, but they were still separated by the stampeding herd.

Then, someone rushed past Jan Di, bumping her shoulder hard and knocking her to the floor. She lost sight of Ji Hoo. The crowd continued to filter around Jan Di, as she struggled to get back on her feet.

Suddenly, she felt a strong pair of hands grasping her by the arms and pulling her up. She felt an arm wrap around her shoulders from behind, and she felt warm breath upon her neck. Jan Di gasped, preparing to free herself from whoever had taken her captive.


But then she heard the voice she loved so. "There's my otter," the tender voice of Ji Hoo came like a warm gust of wind on a spring day, "I thought I lost her… I'm so relieved." He nestled into her hair.

Jan Di smiled and relaxed into him for a moment. Then she turned, wrapping her arms tightly around Ji Hoo's waist and burying her head in his chest.

"Are you OK?" he asked. She nodded against him. He pulled her back and looked into her eyes lovingly.

Her relief was short-lived, for she immediately thought of Secretary Park. "Ji Hoo, Secretary Park was trying to protect me, and Kim Hyun-Woo's men injured him and took him away!"

"We have him. He's OK," Ji Hoo said.

"Thank goodness!"

"But, we need to go quickly, my love," he said. Jan Di nodded, and Ji Hoo grasped tightly onto her hand.

Ji Hoo sneaked Jan Di through the club. It appeared that all exits of the club were now being heavily guarded, probably to prevent F4 from leaving. Jan Di gasped lightly when an armed man in dark attire approached him, but then he respectfully greeted Ji Hoo, and Jan Di noticed he wore an emblem of the Song Clan.

The man led them out of the club, knocking out a few guards who stood in their way. Once outside, Jan Di was relieved to see Woo Bin and Yi Jeong standing there.

"Woo Bin Sunbae! Yi Jeong Sunbae!" Jan Di called out to them. F2 smiled at her automatically, and she could see that they were equally glad to see her.

Ji Hoo glanced around. "Where's Joon Pyo?" Jan Di was also wondering this.

"He's not with you?" Yi Jeong questioned with furrowed brow.

"No, have you heard from him?"

"No, I haven't been able to reach him," Woo Bin said.

Ji Hoo, Jan Di, and F2 exchanged a worried glance.

"I'm going to look for him!" Ji Hoo exclaimed.

"I'll go with you," Woo Bin volunteered.

"No, make sure Jan Di gets to safety!"

Woo Bin reluctantly nodded, "OK, well…be careful…and keep me posted on your status," and Woo Bin sent several men to back up Ji Hoo.


Yi Jeong and Woo Bin approached Jan Di with stern looks plastered upon their handsome faces.

"Yoon Jan Di, you've been a very naughty girl…," Woo Bin chastised, putting his hands upon his hips. Jan Di stared up at him sheepishly. "Come on, let's go," he said, and F2 led her toward a black SUV.

Before they could leave, one of Woo Bin's uniformed men approached them. Upon closer inspection, Jan Di noticed that it was not a man at all, but a slender yet muscular young woman.

She pulled off her hat to reveal a very beautiful and familiar face. Jan Di thought about it and was stunned to realize that it was Han Ji-Hye, Woo Bin's current girlfriend.

"Hey, Baby!" Woo Bin greeted, as she handed him a gun. Ji-Hye flashed a gorgeous smile and went to his side. Jan Di was further surprised when Ji-Hye put him in a playful headlock. "Ya! Why did you take so long with that signal, huh? I was going crazy just waiting!"

Woo Bin chuckled, "Sorry about that."

Woo Bin ushered the girl over to Jan Di. "Jan Di, you remember my girlfriend, don't you? Wonder Girl, meet the Tigress." Ji-Hye shoved Woo Bin lightly. "Hey, don't call me that; it's embarrassing!" But then she gave him a sweet smile.

"Ji-Hye is also a member of my clan. My father was trying to set me up with her for awhile, but I'd never met her, so I didn't realize how amazing she is," they shared an affectionate look. "…I just assumed she looked like all the other women he's tried to set me up with," Woo Bin shuddered and grinned over at Ji-Hye. She gave him another light shove.

"Nice to see you again, Jan Di!" Ji-Hye said, as she turned to Jan Di and smiled, "You'll have to join us for dinner again sometime!"

The comment seemed so casual for the situation they were in. But Jan Di simply smiled and nodded. But, Jan Di was still a bit shocked. She had no idea that Ji-Hye was a member of the Song Clan. She seemed so sweet and innocent…


Yi Jeong had decided to stay behind to help with the search for Joon Pyo. And Woo Bin was personally driving Jan Di to the safe house where they were keeping Alex, for Ji Hoo's peace of mind. It just so happened to be the same one Woo Bin had taken Ji Hoo and her to when Ji Hoo was wounded before by Hyun-Woo's men.

As they drove to the safe house, Jan Di stared down at her hands. She glanced up at Woo Bin several times. He was driving, and Ji-Hye sat next to him in the passenger seat.

"I'm sorry, Woo Bin Sunbae…for causing trouble…," Jan Di finally muttered, "…I know I shouldn't have come, but I was just so worried, and I wanted to help…"

Woo Bin sighed and glanced back at her in the mirror. "I know that. It's natural for the Wonder Girl to want to help others, and we know that you care for us, but you need to be more cautious... You're a mother now, so you need to be a bit more responsible. You can't just run around and do whatever you want anymore. Things could have been much worse…"

Jan Di's lips parted. "You're right… joesonghaeyo, Woo Bin Sunbae…"

"You should be saying that to Ji Hoo and Secretary Park. He got hurt trying to protect you, you know?"

Jan Di hung her head. "I know…and I feel terrible…," she continued to stare at her hands, unable to look up at him.

"And what about you? You're the Wonder Girl, but you're not invincible… What do you think it would be like for your son if he lost his mother? And what do you think it would do to Ji Hoo?" Woo Bin shot her a glance over his shoulder. She still couldn't seem to look at him.

Jan Di wrung her hands lightly, her eyes still downcast. She hadn't thought about it that way, and she suddenly felt even worse, for her actions and for being lectured by Woo Bin. It was bad enough when Ji Hoo did it.

"Aw, go easy on her, Woo Bin-ah," Ji-Hye interjected, but he continued.

Woo Bin smirked and glanced back in the mirror again. "The Wonder Girl has nothing more to say for herself?"

Jan Di simply muttered, "Joesonghaeyo, Sunbae…" again.

Jan Di finally looked up, and Woo Bin shot her a brief, affectionate smile over his shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. You're still our Wonder Girl, and…you did actually do us a favor by discovering Alex, so thank you, Jan Di-yah." Jan Di smiled faintly.


Kim Hyun-Woo returned to the room where he'd been keeping Alex, only to find her missing. Given the commotion in the club and his knowledge of F4, he was not surprised by this, but regardless he released a frustrated shout. "Damn you, F4!" Hyun-Woo clenched his hair and then tossed a nearby chair across the room.

The two guards stood before him abject, bowing and repeatedly apologizing. One dropped to his knees and begged for forgiveness. Hyun-Woo's first instinct was to dispatch them both for their failure. He began to pull his gun but stopped. He could still use them.

Hyun-Woo glared down at the men. "Get up, you pathetic failures! I'll give you one last chance to redeem yourselves!" Hyun-Woo took out his phone and dialed, as he ordered the men to follow him.

At least he still had an ace up his sleeve…