Family, Love & Loyalty IV

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Joon Pyo awoke to a horrible throbbing in his head and blurred vision. He squinted, attempting to take in his surroundings. After blinking a few times, everything slowly came into focus.

He was in a room, cold, dark, and gray, illuminated by a series of fluorescent lights. Joon Pyo didn't recognize where he was, but he quickly realized he was unable to move his limbs. A glance at his wrists explained everything; he was bound to the wall by chains. Instinctively, he began to struggle to free himself.

Joon Pyo heard the sound of male voices speaking in the next room, becoming louder, clearer, closer… He struggled harder, but to no avail. He closed his eyes tightly, as he tried to remember what had happened.


Joon Pyo recalled Ji Hoo and him searching for Alex in the basement of the Blue Dragon. They had split up, and Ji Hoo had been searching further down the hall, each of them accompanied by one of Woo Bin's undercover agents.

Joon Pyo heard Ji Hoo say, "Joon Pyo, I found her," over the headset. He breathed a sigh of relief and began to head resolutely in the direction of where Ji Hoo had been. But then, he heard the sound of voices and expensive loafers upon the stairs.

A group of men was descending the stairs to the basement. They were clearly Blue Dragon Clan members. The men were rushing now, and he heard them mention moving the girl to another location. Joon Pyo looked to Woo Bin's agent. They could not be discovered!

Joon Pyo knew he needed to stop the men from reaching Alex. He needed to at least stall them until Ji Hoo could rescue her. Ji Hoo spoke in a low tone to Woo Bin's agent, and they formulated a very basic plan.

The plan really only consisted of remaining hidden as long as possible and picking off the men as they descended the stairs. With the element of surprise on their side, the two of them were able to knock out several Blue Dragon clan members. There were 8 of them, though. And it was a lot to take on, despite him being the Great Goo Joon Pyo. But he refused to let them get to where Alex and Ji Hoo were.

Joon Pyo noticed that two of the men were none other than the guards he'd knocked unconscious earlier, and they quickly pointed at him and shouted, "YOU!" This exclamation was followed by a "GET HIM!" and Joon Pyo and Woo Bin's man were engaged in a fight that was anything but fair.

There were too many of them… And they overcame Joon Pyo and the agent. First, Woo Bin's agent was knocked unconscious. Joon Pyo continued to fight. He only stopped when he felt the cold, hard metal of a gun at the back of his head. "Don't move," a gruff male voice growled. But Goo Joon Pyo would not go easily, and he resisted. Swiftly, he ducked away from the man, only to feel a sudden, sharp pain at the back of his head and be overtaken by darkness…


With the help of Il Shim's reinforcements, F3 had busted out of the club.

Do-Hyun, Ji-Hye, and their team rushed to Woo Bin and Yi Jeong's aid. Ji-Hye went immediately to Woo Bin's side, "Woo Bin-ah!" He put an arm around her.

Jong-Soo and his men pursued them. "How dare you think you can escape me, Song Woo Bin!" Jong-Soo shouted.

Woo Bin glared at Kim Jong-Soo and then turned to Ji-Hye. "Kiss for luck?" he grinned at her.

"As if you'd need it," she smiled and quickly planted one on him.

"Alright, alright, alright, let's get this party started!" Woo Bin shouted before engaging the Blue Dragon Clan in a brawl.


The Present

Woo Bin and Ji-Hye took Jan Di to the safe house because of time constraints and for security purposes. They ushered Jan Di inside. Jan Di immediately noticed the couch where she had tended Ji Hoo's infected stab wound. Jan Di stared at the couch and smiled fondly at the memory. Though the incident was a terrible thing to happen, it had brought them closer and allowed their burgeoning love to blossom. Jan Di recalled the beating of her wild heart that night as Ji Hoo held her against his bare chest. She smiled as she placed her hand across the spot, almost able to feel the warm thumping anew.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had come so far since that night. They had a family together now. They had a beautiful marriage and an even more beautiful son. Jan Di's heart ached at being apart from her family right now.

And then there was Joon Pyo… She couldn't stand to think that he could be in danger right now. What could have become of him?

Jan Di was stirred from her musings upon noticing Alex across the room.

"Alex! What a relief!" Jan Di rushed to her and surprised even herself by tightly embracing Alex. "Are you OK?"

Alex's eyes went slightly wide, but then she gave Jan Di a light squeeze back. "Yes, thank you."

Alex pulled back and studied Jan Di. "Jan Di?" she verified, an amused smile playing upon her cherry lips.

"Yes, it's me," Jan Di chuckled, realizing she was still in disguise. She took off the wig.

"I'm relieved that you're safe, too, but what were you doing at the club?"

Woo Bin had been collaborating with Ji Hye on something. "She came because she was worried, and she wanted to help us rescue you," he interjected, smirking over at Jan Di.

Alex shook her head at Jan Di. "You shouldn't have done that, Jan Di." She placed her hands upon her skirted hips. "You're really very foolish, Yoon Jan Di," she said, stern as a big sister.

Jan Di tightened her lips and nodded slowly. "Yeah, that seems to be the consensus…"

Alex couldn't prevent the corners of from twitching upward. "But, gomawo… You're very brave, and you really care for your family and friends… I admire you, Jan Di."

Jan Di glanced downward and gave a nod of appreciation.

"I can see why Joon Pyo loved you so much," Alex smiled sincerely.

Jan Di bowed her head, and there was the briefest of awkward silences before Alex broke it. "Nice dress," she said, switching gears. Jan Di grinned. "Thanks. Ji Hoo will appreciate that, considering he picked it out."

Alex smiled once more. She paused. "…Speaking of your husband, were you able to meet up with him? He was very worried and was looking for you."

"Yes," Jan Di glanced downward, her worries suddenly slamming into her like a freight train.

Alex studied her. "He saved me. Thank him properly for me." Jan Di gave a faint smile and nodded.

"…Where is he now anyway?" Alex asked.

Jan Di swallowed hard and looked down. "He…went to look for Joon Pyo."

Fear gripped Alex, and her lovely face went a shade whiter, "Joon Pyo is…missing? Where is Joon Pyo?!" Alex demanded of Woo Bin. Woo Bin hesitated. Though he appeared confident, it was clear that he too was concerned.

"…We don't know," Woo Bin finally said directly, "But we're on it." Woo Bin finished conferring with Ji Hye and turned to leave.

Alex and Jan Di exchanged anxious glances. "You're on it? What exactly does that mean?!" Alex shot back, panic lacing her words. A string of worst-case scenarios was suddenly shooting through her mind.

What if the Blue Dragon Clan has him? What if he's hurt or…?!

Woo Bin approached Alex and put a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and my men are looking for him. And I'm also going to search for him right now. I'll leave Ji-Hye and a few guards here with you and Jan Di. You'll be safe."

Woo Bin gave the girls a gentle smile. Despite the melting properties of Prince Song's smile, which typically turned females into hot butter, Alex and Jan Di weren't fully comforted. Sensing this, Woo Bin added, "We'll find him. I promise." And Jan Di knew that Woo Bin would not stop until he did, none of them would.

"Now, please stay here with Ji-Hye. I'll let you know when we've located Joon Pyo."


Ji Hoo had separated from the others to search for Joon Pyo. By sheer dumb luck, Ji Hoo had witnessed an unconscious Joon Pyo being dragged off by a group of Blue Dragon Clan members. Ji Hoo carefully followed them. Ji Hoo watched the suited men roughly toss Joon Pyo into the back of a van and drive off. Ji Hoo quickly got into his vehicle and began pursuit.


Alex glanced to Woo Bin when she noticed him speaking low into his headset. Jan Di too snapped her head in that direction when she heard Woo Bin say Ji Hoo's name. The girls stopped, straining to overhear the conversation.

"Yes, they're fine…at the safe house…

"What? The Blue Dragon Clan has him?" Alex gasped lightly at the news, and she and Jan Di exchanged terrified looks.

"… You followed them…?" Woo Bin continued speaking into the headset, "OK, don't…," he began.

"What's your location…?" Woo Bin asked.


Ji Hoo had followed the Blue Dragon Clan to a dilapidated old building. It appeared to have been some kind of office at one time. Ji Hoo had GPS tracking, but the signal was weak. He attempted to describe his location to Woo Bin, but it was not clearly marked and was engulfed in a pitch-black darkness.

Woo Bin had wanted Ji Hoo to wait for them to arrive, but Ji Hoo didn't want to lose sight of Joon Pyo, so he followed carefully. Ji Hoo entered the building at a safe distance and descended a series of stairs, following the voices. At the bottom of the stairs was a room with the door ajar. Ji Hoo peered through the doorway.

Ji Hoo's lips parted, and he felt his stomach drop at the sight of Joon Pyo strung up and bound with chains. Joon Pyo was awake now. Ji Hoo watched a man enter the room from an adjoining one off to the side. It was Kim Jong-Soo. Ji Hoo touched the gun at his hip that Captain Do-Hyun had given him. He pulled it out.

Ji Hoo knew how to shoot a gun. He'd been to the shooting range many times with F3, but he didn't relish the thought of using the weapon on another person. There were multiple guards there in addition to Kim Jong-Soo. It would be foolish of Ji Hoo to attempt to take out all of the men himself, so he would wait for reinforcements. Woo Bin, hurry… Ji Hoo spoke low into the headset once more, asking for a status update.

Ji Hoo wondered where Kim Hyun-Woo was…

...

As if his thoughts were heard, Ji Hoo felt a cold, pointed object jab him in the back, clearly the muzzle of a handgun. "Yoon Ji Hoo… Nice of you to join us," a cold voice hissed. "Now, drop it."

Ji Hoo held up his hands and let the weapon slowly slip from his fingertips. Then, he felt a sharp pain, as a hard, blunt object struck him in the back of the head. And everything went dark.


Ji Hoo-yah? Ji Hoo-yah?!" Woo Bin spoke insistently into the headset from the next room. Jan Di suddenly had a sick feeling.

Woo Bin rushed past Jan Di and Alex. He looked distressed and given the abrupt end to the conversation, Jan Di was now terrified that something bad had happened to Ji Hoo.

"Come on, guys!" Woo Bin motioned to his men.

"Wait, Woo Bin Sunbae! What's wrong?! Are Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo OK?" Jan Di grabbed Woo Bin by the arm.

"Don't worry Jan Di-yah," Woo Bin immediately reassured her.

Alex insisted that she wanted to go with them, and she even suggested them using her as bait. Woo Bin immediately shot down the idea. Joon Pyo would never forgive him for doing such a thing, and he didn't feel it was necessary or wise.

And before Alex could protest further, Woo Bin was gone.


Hyun-Woo held Alex's phone in his hand. He scrolled through the contacts. Hyun-Woo noticed Goo Joon Pyo's name and number. There was a little heart by it. Hyun-Woo scowled and crushed the phone tighter. He continued to scroll until he came across another number.


Alex and Jan Di were a complete mess. Alex was pacing, and Jan Di was staring out the window in despair. Jan Di turned to watch Alex for a moment. Their eyes met, and Jan Di exchanged a helpless look with Alex. Jan Di and Alex switched places, and Alex stared out the window while Jan Di paced.

Jan Di heard a buzzing on the table. It was her phone. She rushed over and picked it up. Jan Di stared at the phone and turned to Alex. "Alex, your number is coming up."

"Hyun-Woo had my phone," she said and resolutely moved to Jan Di's side.

"What should we do?" Jan Di asked.

"Answer it," Alex replied. Alex reminded Jan Di to ensure that her location was turned off first, and Jan Di answered, while Alex listened in beside her.

"Yobosoyo," Jan Di answered, as calmly as she could.

"Jan Di...," the chilling voice of Hyun-Woo came. "Do you know who this is?"

"Yes," Jan Di said simply. "What do you want?"

"What do I want, hm? I want Alex back. Have you heard from her perhaps?"

Jan Di was silent.

Hyun-Woo scoffed. "Well, I'll talk then. I want Alex to come to this location," Hyun-Woo gave an address. Alex quickly jotted it down. "Within one hour."

Jan Di and Alex looked between each other.

"Oh, by the way, Jan Di…I have your husband and your ex-boyfriend." Jan Di felt like tiny needles were stabbing her all over. "So, if you ever want to see them again, you'll pass along my message… If Alex doesn't show, Goo Joon Pyo and Yoon Ji Hoo will pay the price…"

And with that Hyun-Woo hung up. Jan Di fumbled with the phone and reached out for something to steady herself. She was suddenly finding it difficult to remember how to breathe.

She noticed Alex rush to the table and grab the keys to the black SUV she'd arrived in.

"What are you doing? You're not actually thinking of going, are you?" Jan Di demanded.

"Shh, don't worry about it. Just stay here," Alex whispered, as she moved toward the door.

"But, you can't!" Jan Di quickly ran over and stood between Alex and the door.

"I can't just stay here and wait; I have to do something!" Alex declared.

"What about that speech you gave me earlier about being foolish? Now who is being the foolish one?"

"Well, the difference is that Joon Pyo and the others are in this mess because of me… Even you, Jan Di… I need to put a stop to it!"

"You can't put yourself in danger! F4 fought so hard to rescue you and now you're just going to turn yourself in!"

Jan Di was blocking the door with her small body now, her arms and legs splayed and gripping it tight. Despite the dire situation, it was comical, and Alex couldn't help but laugh.

"I have to do this, Jan Di. Surely you understand? You must be worried, too."

Jan Di could relate all too well; she was terrified for her husband and her dear friend, and she couldn't let Alex go alone. Jan Di contemplated for a moment. "I'm terrified," she said. "But, you can't just take off. We should tell Ji-Hye… Maybe she can help us," Jan Di suggested.

"No. She'll only follow Woo Bin's orders. She'll try to keep me here." Alex attempted to push Jan Di aside but she held on.

"Fine. If you're so concerned then why don't you come along?"

Jan Di knew that she shouldn't and that this was a terrible idea. It was clearly a trap, but she couldn't shake the horrible images in her head. "OK, let's go," Jan Di said, "But we should at least let Woo Bin know."


"Where do you think you two are you going?" Ji-Hye demanded from behind them.

Jan Di and Alex froze, as two children caught with the cookie jar. They turned slowly to see Ji-Hye's typically sweet face wrinkled in disbelief and exasperation.

Jan Di hemmed and hawed but Alex quickly took charge. "Look, Hyun-Woo contacted Jan Di. He has taken Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo captive, and he demanded that I meet him. We need to help them."

Ji-Hye processed the information. "OK, I'll inform Woo Bin and the others, but I can't let you go."

"I thought you'd say as much," Alex replied, "But we are going to do this, with or without you. So, you can either help us, or we'll find some other way."

Ji-Hye shook her head. "Absolutely not. I have my orders. Woo Bin will take care of it. You'll only cause trouble."

"Look, we need to help the men we love… We won't cause trouble, especially if you help us. What would you do if it was Song Woo Bin who was being held captive?"

Ji-Hye exhaled sharply, but it seemed to strike a chord with her. "Fine, let's go." I'm going to regret this...

Ji-Hye led Alex and Jan Di to the SUV and got into the driver's seat. She looked back at Alex. "Where to?" Alex directed Ji-Hye to the former office of Kim Jong-Soo and Kim Hyun-Woo.


Woo Bin, Yi Jeong, and the team drove toward the last known location provided by Ji Hoo. The signal had been weak where Ji Hoo was, but he'd described the building and area. It was dark and the address was unclear, so Ji Hoo had only been able to approximate. Woo Bin and the team had narrowed the location down and decided to make a judgment call.


Ji Hoo awoke with a splitting headache. He glanced to his side and noticed that he was bound next to Joon Pyo. Joon Pyo appeared bloody and beaten.

"Joon Pyo…," Ji Hoo mumbled sorrowfully. The sight was devastating for Ji Hoo.

Joon Pyo appeared to be attempting to hold his head high. "What are you doing here, you idiot?" Joon Pyo mumbled.

Before Ji Hoo could respond, Jong-Soo and Hyun-Woo entered the room and approached them.

Father and son stood before the F2 brothers. Jong-Soo folded his arms and turned to Hyun-Woo.


"Just like old times, eh, my boy?" he quipped with a maniacal grin.

Hyun-Woo glanced around the room. He suddenly felt his mind drift to a flashback of the first victim he'd tortured and killed. It was in this very room…it was in this cold, dark, and desolate place that he had lost his blood innocence…

His twisted father had chosen to use the basement of his office building for his torture sessions, which he called negotiations… Hyun-Woo's father was a simple thug at heart. He relished physical torture, but he was never the one to dirty his hands, Hyun-Woo recalled. On the other hand, Hyun-Woo preferred psychological torment. Together, they made the perfect machine of terror…

Hyun-Woo recalled that night. There had been a light rain falling that night, giving the atmosphere an eerie calm amid the screams. Hyun-Woo could see it all too well, the look of terror and the anguish upon the man's face. He could hear the light rain pattering against the window. Hyun-Woo recalled every last bit of it, even the man's name, but he wouldn't speak it. Sometimes Hyun-Woo hated the curse of having a photographic memory.

"Father and son, doing business together…," Jong-Soo continued with his psychotic reminiscing. Hyun-Woo scoffed.

"Well, we did well, my son. I would have liked to have a discussion with that Song brat instead, but these two will do. Capturing 2 out of 4 is not bad."

"I'm not interested in any of that, Father. I only have one question for Goo Joon Pyo." Hyun-Woo moved closer to Joon Pyo and got in his face. "Where... is … Alex?" he spoke, low and menacing.

Joon Pyo glared back at Hyun-Woo. "How the hell should I know?"

Hyun-Woo growled and struck Joon Pyo hard across the face. Ji Hoo winced for his best friend.

Hyun-Woo had been torturing Joon Pyo, and he'd enjoyed it, but he was quickly losing patience. Hyun-Woo growled and pulled out a knife. He held it dangerously close to Joon Pyo's jugular vein, "Tell me," Hyun-Woo hissed, as he ever so slightly dug the tip of the blade into the skin of Joon Pyo's throat, leaving a small red notch there.

Ji Hoo felt a lump forming in his own throat. It didn't help being a doctor and knowing how very easily Hyun-Woo could sever that thin vein and take his best friend's life.


"I know where she is!" Ji Hoo suddenly blurted out when he saw a thin crimson stream running down Joon Pyo's neck. "I was the one who took her."

Hyun-Woo smirked and turned to Ji Hoo, pulling the knife away from Joon Pyo for a moment. "Is that so? Well, tell me where she is or I'll cut his throat," Hyun-Woo snarled at Ji Hoo.

"Ji Hoo, what the hell are you doing? Shut up!" Joon Pyo shouted.

"I can't let you die, Joon Pyo," Ji Hoo said, exchanging a meaningful glance with Joon Pyo.

"How touching!" Jong-Soo teased from the sidelines.

Ji Hoo looked to Hyun-Woo. "Let Joon Pyo go, and we can talk about this. I'm sure we can come to some kind of arrangement," Ji Hoo said in a calm tone of voice.

"Don't be a martyr!" Joon Pyo insisted.

"I don't think so. You're in no position to bargain," Hyun-Woo glared icily at Ji Hoo.

Jong-Soo became critical of Hyun-Woo's methods of torture, and the two argued. They stepped into an adjoining room, yelling back and forth. Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo fidgeted with their binds subtly while guarded by two men.


"Well, we've gotten ourselves into a fine mess," Ji Hoo quipped.

Leave it to Ji Hoo to make terrible jokes at a time like this… Joon Pyo scoffed and continued to lightly struggle.

Ji Hoo had since given up trying to free himself. He supposed it would be up to Woo Bin , Yi Jeong, and the others now.

"Aish!" Joon Pyo turned to Ji Hoo when he made no headway. Joon Pyo grew serious.

"Mianhae…," he mumbled, without looking at Ji Hoo.

"For what, Joon Pyo?"

"For getting you into this, first off. And…for the way I've treated you these past few years."

Ji Hoo shook his head. "You don't need to apologize for anything, Joon Pyo."

"No, I do. I guess I…resented you a little bit…for winning Jan Di…" Ji Hoo's lips parted.

"I guess I hadn't really let it go…," Joon Pyo continued speaking freely, "…So, I kept you at a distance. I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry for that." In a way, Joon Pyo felt a weight lifted after admitting it to Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo was speechless. He'd suspected that Joon Pyo had some remnants of feelings for Jan Di, but he didn't know the extent of it. It killed him to think his best friend could still be suffering after all this time.

Since they may die, he supposed it was a good time to get things off their chest. Ji Hoo took a deep breath.

"No, Joon Pyo, I'm sorry! …I can't honestly say that I regret how things turned out…and I know that's selfish. It's just that I love her so much, and I can't even imagine not being with her... She has brought me so much happiness…I can't even describe it to you… I wish that kind of happiness for you, too.. But, I'm sorry for what I did to you, Joon Pyo! I'm so sorry!

Joon Pyo exhaled and nodded. "I am happy actually. I just didn't realize it before."

Ji Hoo smiled faintly, but he still wore a guilty expression, "I am really sorry for hurting you, Joon Pyo. I was a horrible friend to you."

Joon Pyo shook his head. "No, I get it… And I think…I can finally be…happy for both of you."

"Joon Pyo…," Ji Hoo muttered, affected.

Joon Pyo took a deep breath and then turned back to Ji Hoo. "You're my brother, Ji Hoo-yah, and you always will be. And I…love you," he managed to stammer.

Ji Hoo smiled over at Joon Pyo. "Joon Pyo, I…me too."

Joon Pyo rolled his eyes skyward, "Still, you're a babo for coming here…"

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "I know, Joon Pyo. You're right, I suppose I am," he smiled faintly.

Hyun-Woo and Jong-Soo returned to the room. "Oh, that was excruciating to watch!" Jong-Soo commented on the tender moment.


Ji-Hye had informed Woo Bin of the situation and called for back-up. She'd tried to convince Alex and Jan Di to stay in the vehicle once they arrived but ultimately decided that it would be easier to protect them with her and not argue with them. "Stay close to me," she whispered to Jan Di and Alex as they entered.

Ji-Hye led the way into the abandoned building, gun poised, with Alex and Jan Di behind her. They made their way through the shadows to the basement. The girls heard voices becoming louder as they approached a room. Jan Di glanced down and noticed a beam of moonlight reflecting off something on the floor. She knelt down and saw the glint of gold. It was a ring on a chain; it was Ji Hoo's wedding ring. Ji Hoo never took it off and was always very cautious with it. Jan Di picked it up and clutched it between her fingers. Ji Hoo…

The girls peered inside the room, only to see Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo bound and guarded, with Kim Hyun-Woo and Kim Jong-Soo standing before them.

Joon Pyo! Alex felt her heart being crushed at the sight of Joon Pyo's battered form. Jan Di looked between Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo, fighting back stinging tears and barely restraining herself from rushing in… Jan Di felt something at her feet. She glanced down and noticed a gun there.

Ji-Hye assessed the situation. There were two armed guards, as well as Hyun-Woo and Jong-Soo. Ji-Hye was far more skilled at hand-to-hand combat, but she was a decent shot. She could hit from this range, and she could probably take out the two guards, but she wasn't sure she was fast enough to also get Hyun-Woo and Jong-Soo before they retaliated.

"Aish! That's trouble…," Ji-Hye muttered upon noticing a few more guards lingering in the vicinity. Ji-Hye snatched Alex and Jan Di by the arms and moved them to a more hidden location.

"We need a diversion," Ji-Hye muttered.


Hyun-Woo was sick of playing games. He approached Joon Pyo resolutely. "Are you going to tell me where she is?" he demanded, "Last chance."

"Go to hell!" Joon Pyo spat.

"Fine!" Hyun-Woo pulled out his gun, completely fed up. He pointed it at Ji Hoo's head. "I wonder, Goo Joon Pyo… Where does your loyalty truly lie? With your girlfriend or your best friend?"

Joon Pyo's chest began to heave.

"Tell me where she is, or your friend dies!" Hyun-Woo demanded.

"Are you afraid to die Yoon Ji Hoo? Or, will you save yourself and tell me where she is?"

Ji Hoo looked to Joon Pyo and then Ji Hoo's chocolate eyes met Hyun-Woo's coal ones. "I don't know where she is," he simply said.

Hyun-Woo tightened his mouth. "Fine. Then you're of no use to me."

"Leave him out of this!" Joon Pyo demanded.

Hyun-Woo turned back to Joon Pyo, waving the gun around. "You should have cooperated with me!" Hyun-Woo shouted. "Inflicting physical pain on you was satisfying but not satisfying enough. You deserve to suffer, Goo Joon Pyo, and while your girlfriend watches! And then you deserve to lose her! But perhaps this is a start… You care about him, right? This is your best friend, right?"

Hyun-Woo raised his gun again to Ji Hoo's head. Joon Pyo clenched his jaw, his chest rising and falling heavily.


Ji Hoo had heard patients speak of their experiences on the brink of death and what entered their minds in those moments prior. Many spoke of seeing their lives flash before their eyes, as well as seeing their loved ones' faces. There was no medical evidence to prove such a thing, so it was all speculation. But, Ji Hoo was experiencing that now.

Ji Hoo's thoughts settled on Jan Di and Seok-young. His thoughts drifted, as an ocean tide, to his family. He could see them so clearly now; he could hear Seok-young's laugh, and he could feel Jan Di's touch… Ji Hoo closed his eyes, accepting his fate, and holding tight to the mental images of the two most important people in his life.

Hyun-Woo continued to point the gun at Ji Hoo, his finger suspended above the trigger. Joon Pyo opened his mouth to demand that he stop, but he was silenced by the shouting of a woman.

Her voice, Ji Hoo thought. It was Jan Di's.

Was he dead? He hadn't heard the shot go off or felt any pain. Ji Hoo opened his eyes.


"No!" Jan Di shouted in desperation, as she rushed into the room. She had a gun and was pointing it at Hyun-Woo now.

"Jan Di! What are you doing here?!" Ji Hoo demanded. If he had been glass, he would have shattered. Joon Pyo was likewise stunned.

Hyun-Woo turned from Ji Hoo to Jan Di. Hyun-Woo stared at Jan Di for a moment before pointing the gun at her instead.

Jan Di's breathing was ragged, and she appeared to be shaking ever so slightly, but nevertheless she faced Hyun-Woo fearlessly.

Terror gripped Ji Hoo. Jan Di! Ji Hoo struggled frantically with his binds.

Ji-Hye had her gun raised to take out Hyun-Woo before he could fire the shot at Ji Hoo. Jan Di, what are you doing?! Next to Ji-Hye, Alex too appeared shocked.

Hyun-Woo lowered his gun and grinned. "Did you pass along my message?"

"I did," she said.

"Well, this is just perfect. You're seriously stupider than I thought Yoon Jan Di."

Jan Di was standing stiffly, her outstretched arm still pointing the gun at Hyun-Woo. "Yeah, maybe I am stupid. But what about you?"

Hyun-Woo looked at her curiously. His guards raised their weapons, but he motioned for them to put them away.

"How long do you think you can keep this up? You're going to be caught, so maybe you should just make the right choice and stop this. Maybe they'll show you mercy then… And do you really want Alex to be with you through force? Will that truly make you happy?"

Hyun-Woo scoffed, while Jong-Soo folded his arms and looked on in amusement.

"Well, how long do you think you can keep this up?" Hyun-Woo moved slowly toward Jan Di, his gun pointed at her. "Do you even know how to use that thing?"

"I know enough," Jan Di continued to point it at him. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had taught her the basics once.

"You think you could fire off a shot before I do?" Hyun-Woo smirked. He inched closer. Hyun-Woo motioned for the guards to move in.

"Stop, stay back!" Jan Di demanded, pointing the gun between the guards and Hyun-Woo. Hyun-Woo gave a short laugh. "You really didn't think this through, did you, Yoon Jan Di?"

Suddenly, the guards flanked Jan Di and captured her by the arms, causing her to drop the gun.

"Leave her alone! Don't touch her; DON'T YOU TOUCH HER!" Ji Hoo was shouting and struggling so hard that it seemed he would pull his arms out of the sockets.

Jan Di, I'll never let him harm you! Ji Hoo promised to himself.

Joon Pyo was likewise struggling and shouting threats at Hyun-Woo, "If you hurt her, I'll kill you!" This only seemed to fuel Hyun-Woo.

Jan Di hadn't thought it through. The only thought in her head had been to protect Ji Hoo when she saw the gun pointed at him. She couldn't stand to see his life taken before her eyes, and she couldn't do that to her son. Jan Di thought of their precious Seok-young… As the weight of the situation sank in, Jan Di was suddenly terrified that this night was going to leave their son an orphan. She wondered if it had been a huge mistake for her to come to the club. Had she made the situation worse? Would F4 have had everything under control if she hadn't come? Or, would the outcome have been the same but only now she would die with her husband? But, she couldn't allow that to happen! Ji Hoo, at least, had to survive! Jan Di just wished to be at home with her son and husband right now.

Ji Hoo's eyes were reddened, and he was struggling like crazy and demanding that Hyun-Woo release Jan Di.

"Well, perhaps now you are willing to cooperate. Or, should I just shoot your wife in her pretty head?"

Ji Hoo stopped struggling instantly. "Please, I'll do whatever you want!" Ji Hoo begged.

"Anything?" Hyun-Woo grinned.

"Anything!" Ji Hoo assured.

"How far would you really go for your wife, Yoon Ji Hoo?"

"I'll go as far as I have to…," Ji Hoo paused and met Hyun-Woo's eyes in an intense gaze.

But it won't be on your terms…

"Would you betray your best friend? Wait…what am I saying? That's a stupid question, of course you would! You've already done that, haven't you?" Ji Hoo tightened his jaw, his chest rising and falling heavily.

"Now, I will say this…one…last…time," Hyun Woo leaned in close, poking the gun into Ji Hoo's temple, "Where is she?"

"I know where she is!" Jan Di exclaimed.

Hyun-Woo smirked and lowered his gun. He approached Jan Di and got in her face. "Where is she?" he hissed.

"I'll take you to her," she said. Jan Di had seen enough police dramas to know that if she told the villain what he wanted to know that he would probably just shoot them right now. She would stall until Woo Bin and his men arrived.

"Fine, let's go." Hyun-Woo grabbed Jan Di roughly by the arm. Jan Di stopped and succumbed to him. Jan Di had no idea what she was doing. She was simply trying to buy time now until Woo Bin and the others arrived. Perhaps she could stall Hyun-Woo long enough for them to free Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo. She only hoped that Woo Bin and his team would arrive before Hyun-Woo, Jong-Soo, or his associates discovered that Alex was actually there in the building.

Ji Hoo had been doing his utmost to remain calm, but he no longer could. Adrenaline surged, and he lost control once more. "NO!" Ji Hoo shouted and began resisting again.

"You don't really have a say in the matter, Yoon Ji Hoo, so just shut up!" Hyun-Woo barked.

"Should we just shoot him now, sir?" one of the thugs suggested. Hyun-Woo seemed to ponder this.

"No!" Jan Di interjected, "If you hurt him or Joon Pyo I won't tell you anything, even if you threaten to kill me!"

So, Hyun-Woo demanded that the guards silence Ji Hoo. One of the guards swiftly punched him in the gut, and he groaned but continued to struggle.

Jan Di was fighting back tears once more. She pleaded with Ji Hoo to stop resisting and remain calm. She tried to meet his eyes and use that beautiful connection they shared to somehow get through to him, but he wasn't thinking clearly. Ji Hoo was typically a calm, rational man, but when it came to Jan Di's safety and well-being, he could easily lose his head. She knew that Ji Hoo would sooner allow them to gun him down than to harm a hair on her head or take her anywhere. But she would NEVER allow that to happen!

Hyun-Woo began to lead Jan Di off. "This better not be a trick," Hyun-Woo snarled, "Or, I'll put a bullet in your husband's head."

"You don't need to go anywhere. I'm right here," Alex said, as she entered the room.

Oh no, not you, too! Ji-Hye thought.

"What the hell are you doing, Alex? Get out of here!" Joon Pyo demanded, from his shackles.

"It's me he wants, Joon Pyo. This has to end. I can't stand to see you or anyone else being harmed further because of me…"

Hyun-Woo shoved Jan Di to his guards, and they restrained her. He approached Alex. Hyun-Woo stopped short when he heard one of the guards holding Jan Di groan and fall to the ground, followed instantly by the other.


Jong-Soo snapped his head around the room to search for the intruder. Hyun-Woo swiftly pulled Jan Di against him.

Captain Do-Hyun was suddenly by Ji-Hye's side, his rifle still poised after firing the shots at the guards. "Captain!" Ji-Hye exclaimed. "Not following orders, eh Tigress?" he chastised.

"Well, I…" She suspected he would harangue her about this later. Do-Hyun smirked, "I'll let it slide considering we were late. Ran into some trouble, but nothing we couldn't handle." Do-Hyun peered through his sight at Hyun-Woo, who was using Jan Di as a human shield now, waiting for a clear shot.

Ji-Hye was confident that Captain Do-Hyun could easily make the shot without hitting Jan Di or Alex. He was an ex-sniper after all, and he was the best.

Then, Ji-Hye noticed that Woo Bin, Yi Jeong, and the others had arrived. Suddenly, Woo Bin was there at her side, too. "Woo Bin-ah!" Ji-Hye breathed, smiling faintly at Woo Bin.

Woo Bin looked deathly serious and his gun was raised. He ordered the guards behind him into the room. Shouts of 'FREEZE' were heard, as the guards pointed guns at Hyun-Woo, Jong-Soo, and the remaining guards.


Jong-Soo abruptly grabbed Alex and was using her as his human shield now. He held her against him, one arm wrapped around her small waist and the other around her shoulders, as he pointed a gun at her head. "Drop your weapons, or she gets it!" Jong-Soo started to inch away.

Hyun-Woo's chest began to heave as he watched his father drag her off in attempt at escape. Hyun-Woo saw the look on Alex's face. He could tell she was doing her utmost to be brave, ever holding her pretty head up high, but she was afraid. He could see it, and he felt his insides wrenching at the sight.

A mental slideshow of images of Alex and their times together suddenly played inside Hyun-Woo's head. Why am I thinking about this right now?

"What the hell are you doing?! Let her go!" Hyun-Woo shouted at his father.

"Stay out of this, son!" Jong-Soo spat.

Hyun-Woo growled and released Jan Di. She rushed to Ji Hoo. Without thinking, Hyun-Woo made an aggressive move toward his father. Jong-Soo lowered his weapon from Alex's temple and fired off a bullet into the thick muscle of Hyun-Woo's thigh. "You were always a disappointment!" Jong-Soo sneered.

Hyun-Woo grimaced and fell to the ground in pain. Alex gasped and felt her heart give a painful thump at seeing her former lover's agony.

Hyun-Woo lay on the ground, clutching his leg, his handsome face twisted in pain. He managed to hiss through gritted teeth, "How…dare…you!"

"Put your weapons down!" Kim Jong-Soo demanded once more.

Woo Bin led the way by holding his hands up. "Whoa man, easy…," Woo Bin said in his usual cool, calm demeanor, as he slowly lowered his gun to the ground.

Ji-Hye and Do-Hyun were crouched low outside the room. Ji-Hye gasped when she saw Jong-Soo point the gun at Woo Bin, as he dragged Alex backward with him. Ji-Hye looked to Do-Hyun, and he raised his gun, squinting through the sight.

"Can't have you following me, Prince Song…," he snarled and placed his finger upon the trigger. Putting a bullet in Song Woo Bin will slow them down, and it will be killing two birds with one stone…

"Do-Hyun!" Ji-Hye urged, suddenly gripped with terror.

"I got him," Do-Hyun reassured, as he slowly pressed the trigger. But, before he could release it, he heard the thunderous clap of another shot going off…


The room was suddenly silent, like the calm after a storm… And Jong-Soo slowly crumpled to the ground. Alex's eyes went wide and hung open. Hyun-Woo was still lying on the floor, heavily breathing, and with raised gun still pointed at Jong-Soo.

At the realization that he had undoubtedly inflicted a fatal bullet wound upon his father, Hyun-Woo dropped his gun. Immediately, the Song Clan's men rushed to neutralize Hyun-Woo and the remaining guards. They checked the fallen ones for vital signs and injuries. Police had also arrived and were filtering in, taking Blue Dragon Clan men away and checking injuries.

Alex stood there stunned for a moment, staring at Hyun-Woo. He met her eyes as he was led away and gave her the faintest of smiles. And not the sarcastic smile she was so used to, but a sincere one. She hadn't seen that smile in a long time; it was one she used to love, one she had to admit she missed seeing.

Woo Bin and Do-Hyun freed Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo. "You guys OK?" Woo Bin asked, and the two nodded and quickly rushed to their women.

Ji Hoo ran to Jan Di and Joon Pyo to Alex, and they took them in their arms.

Joon Pyo pressed Alex into his chest. "Don't ever do that again, or you're dead," he whispered against her. Alex gave a short laugh. "Ok, Joon Pyo…," and she smiled and sunk into him.

Ji Hoo pressed a kiss to Jan Di's forehead and held her close. "What were you thinking?" he whispered, as he her hair.

"I just had to do something…if it was between you and me living, it had to be you..."

"No, no way!" Ji Hoo insisted and ran his hands from her hair down her back and pressed his forehead to hers.

Joon Pyo held Alex tight and looked over her shoulder at Ji Hoo, who was also holding Jan Di close. Ji Hoo looked up to see Joon Pyo watching him. The men's eyes met. Joon Pyo nodded to Ji Hoo, and they exchanged a smile.


After all the excitement, Jan Di was back at the hospital. Dr. Jang approached her.

"So, Kiddo...I hear you have a new hobby."

"Eh?"

"Shaking down the mob?" Dr. Jang raised a brow.

"How did you—?"

He held his phone out to her. Jan Di squinted at the screen and grabbed the phone from him, scrolling through in disbelief, as she read an article on the internet about the death of Kim Jong-Soo and the incarceration of Kim Hyun-Woo and much of the Blue Dragon Clan. The detailed article included the involvement of F4, herself, and Alex Lee. Jan Di groaned.

"So, you're quite the celebrity now," Dr. Jang teased.

Jan Di gave an awkward laugh. "No, No. I didn't really do anything, except get into trouble…"

Dr. Jang stood before her. He slid his hands into his pockets and grinned at her. "That sounds about right…" Jan Di glanced down sheepishly.

"Regardless, I'm relieved that you're standing before me now." She met his eyes, and he smiled affectionately at her.


Three Weeks Later

Mr. Lee had testified, and Hyun-Woo was once more behind bars and receiving counseling. Yi Jeong had wanted to celebrate and argued that it had been far too long since they all got together, so the four couples were having a large meal at the So mansion.

While dinner was prepared by the staff, F4 and their ladies sat around chatting. Inevitably, the incident with the Blue Dragon Clan came up. Ji Hoo couldn't resist teasing Joon Pyo a bit, so he brought up his confession.

"So, Joon Pyo said he loved me when we were captured," Ji Hoo grinned devilishly.

"Ya! Yoon Ji Hoo, shut up! I did not say that!" Joon Pyo whacked Ji Hoo on the arm.

Ji Hoo clutched at his arm in mock pain. "Yes, you did," he smirked, moving away slightly, "You said it. You said you love me."

F2 was laughing now, and the girls joined in. Smiling, Alex put a hand on Joon Pyo's shoulder, but he brushed it off. "You're laughing at me, too?" his face had a look of betrayal on it.

"I just think it is sweet," Alex said. Joon Pyo scoffed.

"I DO NOT love you!" Joon Pyo shouted at Ji Hoo and began to storm off. F3 and the girls caught sight of his face, which was slighty crimson now.

"In Joon Pyo's defense, people do tend to get very honest when they think they're going to die… And, It's OK to love me, Joon Pyo," Ji Hoo called out, and F2 joined in the mocking.

"Aish, I don't! I didn't say that! Who would love you?! Weirdo…," Joon Pyo added.

"Ouch… Ya!" Ji Hoo replied. Ji Hoo pouted slightly.

Jan Di carried Seok-young over. She placed a gentle kiss upon Ji Hoo's cheek. "We love you, don't worry." Ji Hoo smiled.

The argument continued for a few more minutes, with Joon Pyo still refusing to admit saying such a thing, before Yi Jeong decided to put an end to it.


Yi Jeong casually transitioned the conversation and suggested having drinks. He seemed to be in an extremely good mood, and he and Ga Eul had been very affectionate that evening.

Yi Jeong served champagne all around, but Jan Di refused it and asked for orange juice. Jan Di noticed that Yi Jeong had also served Ga Eul orange juice, and she grinned.

Yi Jeong held his glass out to make a toast. F3 and the girls looked between each other. Ga Eul was beaming at Yi Jeong. "I have an announcement to make," Yi Jeong began, smiling from ear to ear. Woo Bin folded his arms and smiled proudly, while the others waited on edge. Yi Jeong went to Ga Eul and placed both hands upon her delicate shoulders.

Yi Jeong paused for a long moment, leaving most of the group on edge before proudly announcing, "We are going to be parents." The group was exuberant.

Ga Eul had a pure look of joy on her face. "And we found out it's twins!" she added.

Jan Di ran to hug Ga Eul and the women were smiling and expressing their congratulations. F3 took turns slapping Yi Jeong on the back, clasping hands, and hugging.

Ga Eul noticed Jan Di sipping her crystal glass of orange juice. "Jan Di, you're not having champagne?"

"Oh, no," Jan Di glanced away, and Ga Eul squinted at her suspiciously. A knowing grin crossed Ga Eul's sweet lips, and she grabbed Jan Di and took her aside.

"Jan Di, are you…," Ga Eul began, raising a brow.

"Um, well…" Jan Di chewed on her lip.

"Omo! You are! Aren't you?!" Ga Eul pointed at her not-so-secretive best friend.

"Well, yes, I am," Jan Di whispered.

Ga Eul gasped and held Jan Di's arms. "Why didn't you saying anything?"

"Well, I was going to tell you, of course, but I didn't want to ruin your moment."

Ga Eul nudged Jan Di and smiled. "You wouldn't have ruined the moment!"

"Does Ji Hoo Sunbae know?"

"Yes, he's very happy about it," Jan Di beamed again.

"How far along are you?"

"Just around 4 weeks. How about you?"

"Eight weeks."

Ga Eul bounced up and down, catching Yi Jeong's attention. Alex and Ji-Hye grew curious and wandered over. The men looked over to see Ga Eul and Jan Di embracing each other and engaged in some kind of hybrid of crying and laughing. Ji-Hye and Alex were welcomed into the female circle. Ga Eul said something, and suddenly Alex and Ji-Hye were screaming, hugging, and gushing over Ga Eul and Jan Di.

The girls were all huddled together now. Ji Hoo seemed to understand, but F3 gave a collective look of confusion.

"What's going on?" Woo Bin spoke up, asking the question that was on nearly everyone's mind. Ga Eul looked to Jan Di and nudged her. A smile crept upon Jan Di's lips, and she moved to stand next to Ji Hoo. "Well…," she began, as Ji Hoo held her shoulders, beaming proudly, "We're going to have a baby, too."

F3 gaped and then smiled and congratulated Jan Di, as well.

"Both of you? Did you two plan this?" Woo Bin teased Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong looked at each other. They each revealed their brilliant smiles. Yi Jeong gave a short laugh and Ji Hoo shook his head. And F2 looked on affectionately at their expectant wives.

And in that moment, life was sweet for the F4 family…


Six Months Later

Ga Eul was very close to giving birth, and Jan Di had been helping her out whenever she could, despite being quite pregnant herself with her and Ji Hoo's daughter.

"You've been quiet today. Is something wrong," Jan Di asked of Ji Hoo, as he helped her onto the couch.

Ji Hoo said nothing but wrapped his arm around Jan Di, haphazardly tracing circles into her arm. Despite their bodies touching, he seemed so far away.

Jan Di stared up at him with large eyes, "Aren't you…happy about this?" She touched her stomach.

"Of course I am," he said immediately. He placed a hand upon her stomach and then kissed it. Then he kissed her on the cheek.

"Then…has work been stressful…?"

"It's not that, my love…," Ji Hoo paused, "But, there is something I need to tell you." He turned fully to her. He looked gravely serious.

"OK…what is it?" It was beginning to scare her.

"Jan Di…I got a letter today from the Army… I've been drafted for my mandatory military service."