Yearning Hearts II

Like the Lotus: The Continuing Story

Two weeks ago

The heat was sweltering, as Ji Hoo and his unit moved through the jungle. Their mission was to provide aid to suffering refugees. They made their way through the thick vegetation toward the rendezvous point at a small camp. All around him, Ji Hoo could hear the melody of birds chirping along with a chorus of humming insects, accompanied in perfect harmony by the faint brushing of their fatigues against the flora.

Suddenly, the unit sergeant held out his hand, and Ji Hoo and the other three men stopped. Off in the distance were enemy militants trekking through in formation. The sergeant, Ji Hoo, and his fellow soldiers knelt down in the greenery, rifles poised.


Ji Hoo's head snapped toward a shrill female cry off in the distance. He noticed the dark head of a small girl crouched in the bushes approximately 10 meters away. His chocolate eyes went wide when he saw the enemy notice this and begin moving in her direction.

"Dammit," Ji Hoo's sergeant growled, "What's a kid doing out here? Those bastards will just gun her down without a thought, or take her captive, which would probably be worse for her..."

Ji Hoo thought of Mee-Yon. He couldn't allow that to happen. "Can you cover me?" Ji Hoo muttered.

"What?" the sergeant asked dubiously.

"I'll draw their attention away from the girl," Ji Hoo replied.

"Are you suicidal, Yoon?" the sergeant demanded.

"No. I'm just thinking…what if it was my daughter… And it's our duty to protect the innocent, right?"

"Aish, Yoon…you'll never make it—!" But Ji Hoo was already gone.

"Yoon! YOON!" the sergeant hissed at Ji Hoo's retreating figure. "Aish, that fool! Cover him!"


Ji Hoo ran low through the bushes, away from his unit and diagonally from the girl, all the while keeping her in his sights. He sped through the jungle as fast as his feet could carry him, without a clear direction but simply trying to divert the men from the girl. He noticed a large jungle tree and headed toward it. Several shots whizzed past him, and he dropped low to the ground and began crawling along the jungle floor. Then he heard a burst of gunfire coming from the vicinity of where his unit was positioned, accompanied by the sound of painful groans off in the distance. He hoped that the men in his unit were all safe.

Ji Hoo made it to the tree and took cover behind its large twisted roots. He peered out cautiously. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that the girl was safe and the enemies had fallen, thanks to his comrades. Ji Hoo kept low and sprinted toward her. He reached the approximately 8 year old girl, who was cowering in the brush, clutching at her arm and wincing in pain. She gasped lightly when she saw him, and her honey eyes went wide. She started mumbling something in a language he didn't understand. Ji Hoo held up his hands and smiled to indicate he was no threat and found a common language to communicate with her in.

Ji Hoo knelt close to the girl. When he reached into his pack, he saw her flinch. "It's OK; I'm here to help," he said.

The girl stared up at him, still gripping her injured arm, as he pulled out a medical kit. Ji Hoo leaned over the young mocha-skinned girl and began cleaning and sterilizing the gash in her right arm. She shrunk away from him uncomfortably when he pulled out a needle and hemostat. Noticing her fear, Ji Hoo smiled reassuringly and said, "Don't worry. It's not going to hurt."

Ji Hoo was used to treating patients, including children, and he knew that distraction was the best method for keeping them calm. So, he began talking to her. He introduced himself and asked questions about her and her family.

Ji Hoo began to suture the wound, and the girl let out a small cry. Ji Hoo paused. He ed his shirt pocket and pulled out a photo. "Would you like to see my little girl?"

Ji Hoo handed the girl a picture of Mee-Yon. She smiled faintly, taking the picture and holding it. She commented that she was beautiful.

"Where do you live?" Ji Hoo asked, after he finished stitching up the wound. The girl indicated that it was not far and pointed off in the direction. Ji Hoo nodded. He quickly surveyed his surroundings and lifted the girl into his arms, cradling her against his chest. He took off in the direction of the girl's home.


They didn't get far before Ji Hoo felt the excruciating sting of a bullet striking him in his left shoulder. The girl gasped, as Ji Hoo hit the ground, and she tumbled from his arms. Ji Hoo groaned in pain, clutching at his shoulder. "Are you OK?" he whispered through gritted teeth, relieved that she'd been resting against his other shoulder. "Yes, I'm OK, but you're hurt…," she replied, a troubled look on her face.

Ji Hoo pressed a hand against his wound, as he remained low and scanned for his attacker. He noticed a rustling of bushes and pulled his gun. A lone enemy was approaching. The girl let out a gasp, but Ji Hoo covered with his free hand and then pushed her gently to the ground.

"Shh, be still," he whispered, his eyes fixed upon the approaching man. Trembling lightly, the girl huddled next to Ji Hoo and attempted to remain as motionless as possible.

An involuntary scream escaped the girl's throat when a dark, burly man suddenly appeared standing over them. She looked into his eyes briefly before Ji Hoo fired a rapid bullet into his chest, and the man slowly fell to the ground. Ji Hoo stared at his felled assailant, lying mere feet away, and then he reached out to check his vitals. Ji Hoo closed his eyes and exhaled sharply, pressing his hand once more against his wound. The girl gazed upon her visibly shaken rescuer.

"Are you…OK?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, his breath ragged. Ji Hoo dragged himself along the ground, with some assistance from the girl, to the nearest cover. Once they were relatively concealed, Ji Hoo leaned up against a sturdy tree trunk and ed his jacket. He winced, and the girl reached out to help him. Underneath his jacket, Ji Hoo's white tee was slowly becoming saturated by a sanguine liquid. He pulled at the tee, ripping it enough to view the wound. The girl cringed when she saw the wound and looked away.

Ji Hoo pulled out his medical kit and began to clean the area. As he did so, he grew pensive. "I've…never shot a man before," he muttered wistfully, more to himself than her.

"But you're a soldier," the girl replied, in disbelief.

"Not really. I don't consider myself that. I'm just doing my mandatory military duty. I've never been in combat before, and I was only here to provide medical care. Actually, I'm a doctor."

She nodded. He did seem to know what he was doing. Ji Hoo pulled out a probe and began digging around the wound.

"What are you doing?!" the girl exclaimed, horrified. She stifled a gag.

Ji Hoo gave a wry smile. "I'm...checking for shrapnel," he winced. The girl shuddered and covered her eyes when he began to dig deeper into the wound. After a moment, curiosity overcame her, and she peered out through her hand. "…Do you…think you should be doing that?"

"Don't worry. I know what I'm doing. But, I must admit…I've never done this on myself or with so few tools…" Ji Hoo released an anguished groan. "…I know this is a lot to ask, but…I need…help. Could you…be my assistant?" he asked through short labored breaths.

The girl tightened and nodded. Ji Hoo instructed her on tending his wound.

"At least the bullet seems to have passed through…and missed my heart and major arteries," he said.

"How do you know that?" she asked.

"Because, if it hadn't I'd be gushing blood right now, or dead," he said with a wry smile.

She made a face. "Oh."

"Sorry, that was a little blunt." Ji Hoo began to sweat, but it was a cold sweat, not due to the jungle heat. And his breathing grew shallow.

"Are you OK?!" she asked.

Ji Hoo nodded, but he could barely hear her. His ears were ringing, and he was beginning to feel lightheaded and sick to his stomach. Suddenly, the darkness overtook him.


The girl covered Ji Hoo with some large fronds and sprinted toward the small hut she resided in with her mother and older sister.

"Mama, Mama!" she shouted, as she entered her home.

Her mother turned from making dinner. "Where have you been?!" she exclaimed, placing her hands upon her hips. "And what happened to your arm?!" she knelt before her daughter.

"I was in the jungle looking for food, and I saw the bad men, so I ran. I fell and cut myself, and…"

"What?!" her mother cut her off. "I told you never to go out there by yourself! You are in big trouble now!" Despite her anger, she embraced her daughter hard out of relief. An older girl of nearly 19 with long umber hair stepped into the room.

"But Mama, there were soldiers there, and one of them helped me. But he got shot, and he's passed out in the jungle! We need to help him!"


An unconscious Ji Hoo was practically dragged into the small hut by the women. They laid him down on a bamboo mat. The young girl handed her mother Ji Hoo's medical supplies and told her the story, while her older sister knelt beside Ji Hoo. She checked to see that he was breathing and sighed in relief that he was.

The mother looked through Ji Hoo's first aid supplies. "I think we're going to need to take his shirt off," she said. The older girl nodded, the hint of a blush forming upon her mocha cheeks. She and her mother each supported one side of Ji Hoo while pulling the torn, bloodstained shirt over his head. They lowered him back to the mat, and the mother tossed his shirt aside.

The older sister gazed upon Ji Hoo's bare torso for a moment, as it rose and fell, and her blush grew deeper. She had never seen such a beautiful man before, and she had to consciously force herself not to stare. Feeling guilty, she quickly looked away, reminding herself how inappropriate such thoughts were, especially considering the man's life was in danger. It certainly was not the time for such foolishness.

Her mother was not so skittish. She laid a hand over Ji Hoo's forehead. "He's burning up," she said. She went for a bowl of water and cloth. She dunked it in, wrung it out, and placed it across Ji Hoo's forehead, and then she began cleaning around the wound.

The women observed the bullet wound and looked between each other, unsure of what to do next. "It may be getting infected… I think a doctor needs to take a look at this," the mother said.

"He said he's a doctor. If only he was awake to tell us what to do…," the young girl commented.

"I'll go for the doctor," the mother replied. The girls began to protest that it was too dangerous, but she cut them off. "He saved my baby's life. It's the least I can do to try to save his." And she instructed her girls to care for him while she was gone.

The girls looked helplessly at their mother. "Please be careful, Mama," they warned. She nodded, kissed them goodbye, and rushed out.


The older sister sat beside Ji Hoo, keeping watch over him while he slept. Her younger sister had gone for fresh water. She took the cloth from his forehead, re-wet it, and returned it. She wasn't sure why, but she had the urge to touch his face. She hesitantly reached out with a finger but froze when he began to toss lightly in his sleep.

"…Jan Di, Jan Di-yah…," he muttered.

Her lips parted, and she wondered who he was calling for. "Shh, it's OK," she whispered soothingly.

Suddenly, he reached out, eyes still shut, and clasped onto her hand. She froze, allowing him to squeeze it for a moment longer, and then his hand fell limply to his side. He stilled.

She noticed a chain around his neck holding a ring. The silver and gold band rested lightly against his sternum. Unable to fight the temptation, she carefully took the ring between her fingers and observed it. Turning it over, she read the inscription. JH and JD Forever, with a heart between the initials.

As she stared at the ring, her younger sister returned. She watched her older sister with a sly grin. "What are you doing?" she asked in an accusatory tone.

The older sister jerked her hand back, allowing the ring to slip from her fingers and fall to its former resting place. "N-nothing!"

Her younger sister laughed. "Nothing, huh?" she cocked her head, "I do not think so… I think you have a crush on our Doctor Soldier here," she teased.

"I do not!"

The younger sister gave her a smug smile and placed her hands on her small hips. "Do so! But, he's too old for you, and not to mention he's married and has kids, you homewrecker!" she playfully chided.

The older sister stood and gave chase to her younger sister, who ran from her, all the while taunting her about being in looove. She finally caught up to the younger girl and grabbed her around the waist with both arms. She began tickling her mercilessly as punishment. "I'm not in love! And I'm not a homewrecker, you little brat!" the younger girl squirmed until released.

Then, a smile graced the older sister's rosy lips, "I was just looking at him… There's nothing wrong with that! I just think he is…kind of…nice…to look at," she said shyly, "…Don't you think so, too?" she whispered, turning hot pink.

"I wouldn't know. I don't like boys." The younger girl stated directly with a haughty look.

"Oh, yeah right! Liar… What about…you know who from the next village over?"

"Hey!" It was the older sister's turn to taunt and flee from her younger sister, who chased her all around the small room. The younger sister finally caught up and began wrestling with her.


They both gasped and snapped their heads in Ji Hoo's direction when they heard him make a sound. The older sister clasped her hand over her sister's mouth, as Ji Hoo stirred. "I think he's waking up…"

Ji Hoo's eyes fluttered open, and he squinted in the girls' direction. The older sister blushed and gave an awkward smile. She released her younger sister, who smiled and waved at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo groaned and shut his eyes tightly again. The girls went to each side of him and knelt down.

"Can you hear me? Does it hurt badly?" the older one asked. Ji Hoo's face was twisted in pain, and he gave no response. His breath became shallow. The older sister glanced to Ji Hoo's chest and noticed that fresh crimson was seeping from the exit wound. "Oh no, his wound!" she desperately hoped that her mother had made it and would return soon with help.

"Sissy, there's a lot of blood…," the younger lamented. The girls exchanged a distressed look, and the older girl began pressing into the wound with Ji Hoo's shirt in attempt at stopping the bleeding.

Suddenly, Ji Hoo began shaking violently. "Oh no, what should we do?!" the younger sister pleaded. The older sister turned to the younger. "Help me hold him!" The younger complied, and the two slender girls held down Ji Hoo as best they could while he violently convulsed.

"Sister, is he going to die?!"

"I don't know, little one… I hope not…" Oh, Mama, please come back with the doctor quickly!


The Present

After receiving the news that Ji Hoo was MIA, Joon Pyo went immediately to visit Jan Di at home. It was early evening when he pulled up to the Yoon household in his jet black luxury vehicle. He entered without knocking, even though Jan Di had always requested that he do so. Old habits die hard, he thought.

The first time he barged in, Jan Di had asked him politely to call or at least knock next time, but the second time she'd gone off on a tirade. Joon Pyo hadn't thought it a big deal. He'd always just walked right into Ji Hoo's home. Still, he should've learned his lesson about that long ago after entering Ji Hoo's home only to find Jan Di in Ji Hoo's bed and him placing a lingering kiss upon her hand. And now that they were married, he should definitely respect their privacy. But, it was only Jan Di, Grandfather, and the kids there now.


Joon Pyo meandered into the living room. Fluffy took immediate notice of him and got up from his spot, approaching Joon Pyo and wagging his tail. Fluffy was used to Joon Pyo by now and no longer barked at him. Joon Pyo gave Fluffy a light pat on the head and glanced around for Jan Di. He could hear Mee-Yon softly crying in the next room. Before he could call out for Jan Di, Joon Pyo heard her voice shouting from the kitchen, "Eomma is coming, baby!" right before she collided with him, as she rushed into the nursery.

Joon Pyo prepared for her inevitable rant and rave. Jan Di gasped but instead smiled brightly upon noticing him. "Goo Joon Pyo!"

Joon Pyo steadied Jan Di and apologized for his intrusion and for bumping into her. Jan Di waved her hands, ensuring it was OK. "Where have you been lately?!" she asked. She didn't seem angry at all that he had just barged in, but rather, she seemed glad to see him. And she appeared to be in a good mood, a little too good, considering…

"Just around," he said simply.

Jan Di insisted that Joon Pyo sit down and energetically yanked him by the sleeve, ushering him to the couch. "Make yourself comfortable! I'll be right back!" Jan Di chimed in her overly loud voice. Joon Pyo nodded and rubbed his legs. Despite his current mood, he couldn't even put a crease in his wrinkle-proof slacks.

Jan Di returned after about 10 minutes. "Sorry about that. I had to tend to Mee-Yon. What can I do for you, Goo Joon Pyo?" she asked, smiling again, but a rather weird one.

Joon Pyo rubbed the back of his neck. "Ah, nothing. I just thought I would stop by."

Jan Di nodded. "Oh, my manners! Tea?!"

Joon Pyo put on a smile. "Mm."

Jan Di put on some tea for him and then returned to sit next to him on the couch. "So, what's new?"

"Nothing much," he replied. Jan Di watched Joon Pyo shift in his seat. He's acting strangely… She gave her legs a light pat.

Joon Pyo caught her watching him and immediately made conversation. "How is Grandfather doing?"

"Better," Jan Di replied, her relief evident. "His nurse has been here full-time to help care for him when I'm away. And it's been like pulling teeth to get him to rest and eat a healthy diet, you know, but he's doing much better, thanks…"

Joon Pyo nodded, "Good."

Jan Di began prattling on again, "Do you know that I made his favorite the other day, catfish stew, but I tried a healthier version of it… And wouldn't you know, he noticed! He tried to refuse to eat it, so I pretended to be really hurt by it, and he gave in. He grumbled about it the whole time, of course, but he did eat it all. I think he liked it but wouldn't admit to it!" Jan Di gave an awkward laugh.

Joon Pyo simply nodded, unsure of how to respond to that. "…And how are you, Jan Di?" he finally asked in a very serious tone.

Jan Di pursed her lips. "I'm great." There was that odd smile again. He knew she was lying because her voice got extra loud when she did and her face always betrayed her.

"Really?"

"Yes, why?" she glanced away.

"No reason," he too looked away, rubbing his hands together lightly.

"Oh, the tea!" Jan Di shouted out when she heard the shrill cry of the tea kettle. She was acting rather spastic.

Jan Di prepared and brought the tray of tea. Joon Pyo could hear the clinking of the tea kettle and noticed that her hand was trembling slightly.

"I'll take that," he said, grabbing the tray out of her hands. Joon Pyo set the tea down and poured a cup for each of them. He brought his cup to his lips, and Jan Di followed suit. After taking a sip, she set it down and rubbed her legs, trying to come up with conversation. Joon Pyo was wracking his mind to do the same.

"What's new with you?" he finally asked.

"Oh, nothing. Same old. I'm off today, so I've just been taking care of the kids. You?"

"…Just business like usual."

Jan Di nodded. "How is Alex?"

He tightened his mouth, "She's doing better."

"It was very sad about her father," Jan Di said, and Joon Pyo nodded. Joon Pyo recalled being with Alex when her father passed.


Alex was stoic, but later that night she cried in his arms. After a good cry, she spoke openly about her father and the twisted path their relationship had taken to its end.

Alex carried herself well at the funeral in New York City. Joon Pyo's mother and father were even present. It wasn't the best of circumstances, but Alex finally met the illustrious Madam Kang. Madam Kang treated Alex with respect, which he was thankful for, though slightly irritated that Jan Di had not gotten the same treatment.


"Yes," Joon Pyo replied, "But she was able to forgive him before he passed, and she talked to me about him a lot, so I think she's finally at peace."

Jan Di pursed her lips sympathetically and nodded. "Good."

The conversation lagged once more, and suddenly Jan Di burst out, "Oh! Let me take your coat!"

"That's OK."

"No, no, you're my guest!" He handed it over.

She's being very strange… Does she know something? Is she freaking out?

Jan Di was going a mile a minute. She hung Joon Pyo's coat up and returned to the couch. She wasn't saying anything and was staring down at her hand, which had begun to lightly shake again. Joon Pyo glanced down at Jan Di's trembling hand and instinctively lay his over hers.

"Jan Di…," Joon Pyo began, "You know, if something is on your mind, you can talk to me."

Jan Di put on her fake smile again. She wondered why Joon Pyo was being so sensitive. "Thank you, Joon Pyo, but I'm fine, really."

But Joon Pyo knew her far too well. And he could always tell when she was putting on a front. Joon Pyo stared Jan Di down for a moment. She looked away. He could see the hint of moisture glistening at the corners of her eyes, like the morning dew.

"It's just that…," Jan Di stared down at the floor, dejected. "…I haven't heard from Ji Hoo in a few weeks… I know I just need to be understanding and patient. He clearly told me that he might not be able to communicate for a while, but his letter was just so…vague…and I'm…," Jan Di swallowed hard, "…a little worried, I guess."

Joon Pyo looked away, fighting back stinging tears of sorrow and guilt. He quickly blinked them away and buried his emotions deep below the surface. He couldn't tell her. He wouldn't tell her. She would be absolutely devastated...


Time was he would have feared she would try to run off to find Ji Hoo herself. And if not for the kids, she might even be crazy enough to try and do so. He wouldn't have put it past her back then, but now he didn't worry about that.

But he couldn't stand her being hurt. Until she absolutely needed to know something, he wouldn't tell her. He would protect Jan Di. He would shield her from the pain of the unknown. He would say nothing until he had good news for her. And he vowed to have good news for her very soon. Still, was it right for him to let her remain in limbo like this?

It was breaking Joon Pyo's heart to see the pain evident upon the lovely face of his dear friend and former love, the woman who still meant so much to him, the woman who still resided in that special little nook within his heart. So, he lied.

"Jan Di, I talked to Ji Hoo today."

"What?! You talked to him?!" she perked up. "You've been here all this time, and you're just telling me now?!" she slapped him on the arm.

"Mianhae… Yes, I talked to him, and everything is fine," he said, looking her straight in the face and hoping she would not see through his lie.

Clearly she did not, for Jan Di gave a happy squeal and threw her arms around Joon Pyo's neck in a grateful embrace. Joon Pyo hesitantly wrapped his arms around her back and held her, as his guilt began to gnaw away at him like a filthy little vermin.

Jan Di pulled back. She sighed with relief but then pursed her lips. But, why didn't he contact me? She wondered. Regardless, she was thankful that he'd been in touch with Joon Pyo.

What did he say?" she squeezed her hands within her lap, looking expectantly at Joon Pyo.

"It wasn't easy to connect with him, and he didn't have a lot of time. He basically just asked about how you and the kids were doing."

Jan Di nodded. "…How is he doing, Joon Pyo?"

"He's fine. Don't worry." She nodded again and exhaled. "That's good."


Just then, Seok-young came toddling into the room, calling out, "Uncle Joon!" Seok-young couldn't say Joon Pyo yet, and he couldn't quite say uncle, so it came out more like unca.

"Seok-y! What are you doing up?" Jan Di demanded. She rose and put her hands on her hips. Seok-young stopped dead in his tracks. He stared up at this mother from behind wide, chocolate eyes, partially hidden by fiery auburn bangs.

Jan Di turned to Joon Pyo, muttering in a low tone, "Aish, this kid…he keeps climbing out of his crib…"

"Maybe you should get him a cage," Joon Pyo muttered, giving a short laugh. Jan Di stared at him for a moment and then chuckled, "Oh, you're joking."

Jan Di went to Seok-young and knelt before him. "OK, Seok-y, you can give Uncle Joon one hug, and then back to bed, young man!"

Seok-young smiled, revealing a nearly complete set of pearly baby teeth, and ran over to Joon Pyo with outstretched arms. Joon Pyo pulled Seok-young into his arms when he came in range, tightly enfolding him. Joon Pyo blinked back hot tears, as he pressed the toddler into his chest. Joon Pyo held Seok-young there for a moment longer before bringing him back to arm's length and gazing upon his face, a face that so closely resembled his best friend.


Seok-young had been very shy around Joon Pyo at first, but he was really beginning to warm up to him. Their relationship was sweet, yet Jan Di found it to be rather sad that Seok-young knew Joon Pyo better than Ji Hoo in person. Still, Jan Di was thankful for their bond.

Jan Di recalled that once Seok-young had accidentally called Joon Pyo Appa


Jan Di felt a twinge in her heart, though she knew it was only a mistake, given that Seok-young saw Joon Pyo so frequently. Joon Pyo was utterly shocked. With a slightly heavy heart, Jan Di corrected her son, "No, Seok-y, this isn't Appa. This is Uncle Joon."

Jan Di didn't tell Ji Hoo about the slip-up because it would have only hurt him. He would have been understanding, of course, but still saddened. She knew that it would have reminded him of how he'd missed more than half of his son's life so far.

But, Jan Di and Ji Hoo had done their best to ensure their children knew Ji Hoo well. In addition to Jan Di showing them his picture every day and talking about him all the time, Ji Hoo would also talk to Seok-young and Mee-Yon as often as possible over video chat, that is until recently.

Seok-young was always thrilled to talk to his appa, and he would start babbling rapidly, telling his daddy many things that Jan Di couldn't quite make out… But Seok-young and Ji Hoo also had a special bond, and they seemed to understand each other completely.


"OK, back to bed now, Seok-y," Jan Di reluctantly interrupted the sweet moment.

Joon Pyo glanced to Jan Di and then back to Seok-young. "OK, you listen to your mother now, Seok-young. And stay in your bed!" Joon Pyo pointed a finger at the nearly two-year old boy. Seok-young stared at Joon Pyo, then tightened his little mouth and nodded.

Jan Di took Seok-young by the hand, but he broke free and ran back to Joon Pyo. "Seok-y love Uncle Joon," Seok-young chimed in his ever-so-cute baby voice. Jan Di smiled affectionately at the pair.

Joon Pyo felt his heart being further crushed as he stared down into the large, innocent eyes of Ji Hoo's son, not knowing whether his father was alive or dead. Joon Pyo knelt before Seok-young and motioned for him to come closer. Joon Pyo put on a smile before crushing Seok-young against his chest once more.

"Uncle Joon loves you, too, Seok-young."

And I will find your father… I'll make sure he returns home safely to you, if it's the last thing I do… I promise you, Yoon Seok-young and Yoon Mee-Yon!

Joon Pyo left, and Jan Di felt relief that he'd heard from Ji Hoo, but at the same time, something seemed off… Jan Di could hear her emergency bell resounding within her heart.


After leaving Jan Di's, Joon Pyo felt completely horrible. So, he decided to call Alex on his way to meet with F2. She had her own special way of putting him at ease. Alex had gone to New York to be with her mother for a while after her father's death and to manage the business. Joon Pyo had been helping her with it remotely for the time being.

Joon Pyo danced around the topic but eventually told Alex everything. That is, everything except his unspoken promise to Ji Hoo to look after Jan Di and the children if anything should happen to him.

If it were to come to that, would Alex understand, he wondered? He hoped that she would, but it really didn't matter. He would fulfill the promise, no matter what... That was not to say that he would necessarily enter into a relationship with Jan Di again or marry her, but he would care for Ji Hoo's family as his own. He immediately felt an awful guilt for even thinking it, and he desperately didn't want to consider such a thing… But, it was something that needed to be acknowledged as a possibility.

Alex was very sympathetic about the situation, and she did her best to reassure Joon Pyo, but she wasn't quite able to make him feel better. No one could right now.

"Is there anything I can do, Joon Pyo?" Alex asked.

"No, it's OK. I got it. Thanks, though."

"Are you alright?" she asked, concern lacing her words.

"Yes," he assured, "How are you?"

"I'm fine, Joon Pyo," Alex smiled faintly and ran her fingers along the grooves of the necklace he'd given her.

"Good. And your mother?"

"She's doing better, thank you."

Joon Pyo noticed a hint of loneliness in her voice. "Do you need me to fly out?"

"No, I'm fine. You should…be there for Jan Di right now. I can't imagine how hard of a time she must be having, even though she doesn't know about…," Alex paused.

Joon Pyo released a sharp exhale. "Am I doing the right thing keeping it from her?" he asked.

Alex sighed. "I don't know, Joon Pyo. She's going to find out eventually. You won't be able to keep it from her forever. We can only hope that they find him soon."

Joon Pyo was silent.

"Joon Pyo, I…love you."

"…I love you, too."


Joon Pyo met with F2 immediately and informed them of the situation. F3 was overwrought and did not plan to take it lying down. They were determined to retrieve Ji Hoo, and they would do whatever it took.

Joon Pyo threatened Yi Jeong not to breathe a word of it to Ga Eul, for it would surely get back to Jan Di. And Joon Pyo was eager to rush off on a rescue mission without another thought or any plan, but F2 was more rational about it. With some effort, F2 calmed Joon Pyo, and they all deliberated on their course of action. Woo Bin immediately informed his people and put them on the mission. Joon Pyo also got Secretary Jung and Secretary Park involved.

Woo Bin, himself, volunteered to go there with members of the Song Clan. Yi Jeong pondered this, as well. Woo Bin stepped in, though, demanding that Yi Jeong stay behind. He had a family to care for, after all. With a heavy heart, Yi Jeong acknowledged that Woo Bin was right but vowed to do all within his power to recover Ji Hoo.

A family to care for… Thinking of the children and Jan Di, Joon Pyo again became fired up to go and demanded that Secretary Jung prepare his helicopter immediately. Barely restraining him, Woo Bin argued that Joon Pyo should stay behind to look after Jan Di, as Ji Hoo had requested. This struck a chord with Joon Pyo. He cursed and kicked the couch, feeling at a standstill.

Woo Bin spoke with Do-Hyun, who was gung-ho about the mission and an expert in such matters. "Send me there, Prince Song sir!" Do-Hyun eagerly volunteered in Woo Bin's place. "I'll retrieve Master Yoon for you!" Woo Bin and Joon Pyo agreed but prepared to take matters into their own hands if Ji Hoo was not found in a reasonable amount of time.


A week passed. F3 kept tabs on the mission, but it was taking longer than expected. Joon Pyo felt utterly helpless, and he absolutely despised that feeling, that and waiting… If it took much longer, he would simply go himself, despite his promise, to hell with anyone who tried to stop him.

Jan Di had been throwing herself into her work and the children. She was grateful she had so much going on in her life to keep her busy; it kept her mind from wandering and from missing Ji Hoo like crazy, part of the time at least... If she didn't have her kids and the Clinic, Jan Di didn't think she'd be able to stand it.

Jan Di was still writing to Ji Hoo all the time and simply keeping the letters until she knew where to send them. She'd been told Ji Hoo was sent to another base, but it seemed strange to her that she hadn't been given a forwarding address.


Another week passed. When the anniversary of their first date, well second, rolled around without word from Ji Hoo, Jan Di felt her loneliness reach its pinnacle. It was unusual to her that he would let the day pass without any communication. He must be really busy…, she thought sadly.

She became very sentimental and started thinking about their marriage and their other anniversaries. Ji Hoo had always been very romantic. He celebrated the day they first met, their first date, their second "real date," their 100-day dating anniversary…. Sometimes he gave her gifts, always meaningful ones, and sometimes he took her to special places.

On their first wedding anniversary, they'd gone to Paris. On the second, they'd celebrated with a special Mommy/Daddy/Seok-young day. On their third anniversary, Ji Hoo had been in the military, but he'd sent her flowers and gifts, including a stuffed otter that he'd found at the base store and one for Mee-Yon, as well.

"Fighting, Jan Di!" she told herself, and she focused upon everything else. But the people closest to her noticed.


Alex had encouraged Joon Pyo to be there for Jan Di, and he felt he owed it to Ji Hoo. So, one day he showed up at the Clinic in an attempt at whisking Jan Di away for the day, to take her mind and his off it. She protested, saying she had far too much to do and suggesting that he take a look around at all the patients that were waiting there. Dr. Jang wasn't thrilled about the idea either, particularly since the place was packed and it was just the two of them. But noticing Jan Di's stress, Dr. Jang decided that day to hire an assistant, so that she could take some time off now and then.


Joon Pyo dropped in on Jan Di at the Clinic again a few days later. He had arranged for Jan Di to have the day off, which Dr. Jang had been agreeable to this time. He'd been concerned for Jan Di lately, too. Joon Pyo had also arranged for Jan Di's mother and Kang San to babysit Seok-young and Mee-Yon, a task they eagerly accepted.

Joon Pyo was determined to convince Jan Di to go with him and finally did. He asked Jan Di where she wanted to go for the day, and she chose the temple at Seoraksan, where she and Ji Hoo had gone after the couples' trip to the resort with Joon Pyo and Jae Kyung.

Jan Di and Joon Pyo walked around the temple, paid their respects, and wrote prayers on the wooden tablets. Jan Di wrote a prayer in memory of she and Ji Hoo's child who had been lost but never forgotten, as well as prayers for Seok-young and Mee-Yon to continue to stay healthy and happy, and one for Ji Hoo's safe and speedy return.

Jan Di convinced Joon Pyo to write a prayer, though he argued that he was no good at that sort of thing. Jan Di smiled when Joon Pyo wrote a very simple, yet heartfelt prayer, that Ji Hoo would come home soon to his family.

Jan Di and Joon Pyo stopped at a nearby restaurant for spicy cod stew, at Jan Di's request. While there, the famous Jan Di klutziness struck again when she spilled some of it onto Joon Pyo's jacket. She profusely apologized, but after an initial exasperated 'aish,' Joon Pyo smiled fondly. Some things never change…


Despite the past few weeks, Jan Di returned home with a smile upon her face. It had been a nice day, she had to admit. A breath of fresh air, even…

Joon Pyo dropped Jan Di off at the house in his cherry red Lotus Elise S. Jan Di bowed and thanked Joon Pyo sincerely for the day. It really had been good for her to get out. Jan Di invited Joon Pyo in, but he politely declined.

"At least let me get that stain out for you!" she motioned to his jacket that she'd tarnished, still feeling quite guilty.

"It's OK. I can just have Butler Lee send it off to be cleaned or get a new one."

Jan Di gaped at Joon Pyo. "Are you kidding me?! Did you forget that you are talking to a former dry-cleaner and a dry-cleaner's daughter?"


Ji Hoo had wanted to help take care of Jan Di's family financially, but he knew that she would not exactly go for that, so he'd indirectly ensured that their business was successful. Jan Di's Dry-Cleaning had even become a chain now, with Geum Il-Bong and Na Gong-Joo as the owners, mainly managing the big picture operations.


"Did you hear that, Eomma?!" Jan Di called for her mother, who stepped out of the bedroom, carrying Mee-Yon. Kang San followed with Seok-young trailing behind.

"I heard! Don't you dare send that somewhere else, Goo Joon Pyo-ssi!" Gong-Joo chastised, "We can take care of that for you, no problem!" she exclaimed, waving her free hand.

Jan Di practically wrestled the coat from Joon Pyo, until he relinquished it. Then, she began digging into the pockets.

"What are you doing?!" Joon Pyo exclaimed.

"What do you mean? I'm just making sure your pockets are cleaned out. People always forget to do that."

"Don't do that!" he shouted, louder than intended.

"What's the big deal?" Jan Di asked, as she pulled out a piece of paper that appeared to have been crumpled and then smoothed out again.

"That doesn't belong to you! Give me that!"

"I'm…sorry…," Jan Di mumbled. She began to hand it over to him but noticed something and stopped. "…What's this?"

"It's nothing!" he exclaimed, quickly snatching it away.

Jan Di's brow wrinkled, and she stared out in stunned disbelief, her hand remaining outstretched in the position it was in before the letter was wrenched from it. She would have shrugged it off as just some love letter from Alex or something, if she hadn't noticed Ji Hoo's handwriting. She met Joon Pyo's eyes. "Is it…from Ji Hoo?"

Joon Pyo sharply exhaled and looked away. "Yes."

Jan Di bit down on her lip. Maybe it wasn't her business. The letter had been sent to Joon Pyo after all… But Joon Pyo's reaction, and the way he was so adamant about keeping this particular letter from her was making her morbidly curious.

"Oh, I didn't know you got a letter from him? When did you get it? What did he say?" Jan Di rattled off questions, while Joon Pyo remained deathly silent, looking away. It gave Jan Di an unsettled feeling, and she could feel tiny prickles forming along her arm.

"Um, I know it was sent to you, but…may I…see it? Please…?" She knew it was rude of her to ask, but she had to somehow dismiss the terrible feeling she had.

Joon Pyo sighed and finally looked at her. He hesitated before approaching her and handing over the letter. Jan Di unfolded it, and her eyes skimmed its content. The arm holding the letter dropped defeated at her side. Joon Pyo studied her. She was looking down and was eerily quiet.

"…You…kept this from me…?" she finally muttered in a low voice.

Joon Pyo sighed. "…He asked me to, as you can plainly see. He didn't want you to worry."

Gong-Joo, Kang San, and the kids had all witnessed the ordeal, and were looking on, concerned.

Jan Di's eyes darted back and forth as she processed, her chest beginning to rise and fall, and then she met Joon Pyo's eyes. She nodded, a painful nod, and asked, "Eomma… Could you put the kids to bed, please?"

Gong-Joo's brow furrowed, but she nodded. She carried Mee-Yon and ushered Kang San and Seok-young back to the kids' room.


Jan Di led Joon Pyo outside of the house before speaking again, "…Why would he ask you to take care of us? Why would he even say something like that?!" she raised her voice, holding out the letter. Joon Pyo took it from her and put it away.

He exhaled and slowly approached Jan Di, standing a foot or so before her. He looked down into her eyes with a sober expression. "It was just a precaution. He was just thinking of the three of you. You know him… He always has to be prepared for any outcome, no matter how ridiculous it may be," Joon Pyo added the last part in attempt at reassurance. Jan Di nodded slowly and glanced away.

"But, you know where he is, right?" she looked to Joon Pyo again, "You said you talked to him…and he's fine…right?" Jan Di was speaking more quickly now, with a slight edge to her tone. She stared desperately into Joon Pyo's eyes for consolation.

He couldn't continue to lie to her face. "No," he admitted, "I…didn't talk to him. And I don't exactly know where he is."

"You…you…lied to me?!" she stared at him in horrified disbelief. He could see the hurt in her eyes.

"I didn't want you to worry, either," Joon Pyo replied simply. Jan Di scoffed, as if this was an unbelievable notion. She was trembling now, whether from shock or rage, Joon Pyo wasn't sure. Perhaps, it was a bit of both. Joon Pyo placed a hand upon his brow and began to pace.

Jan Di was doing her best to be strong, but she couldn't seem to control the involuntary shaking in her extremities. She knew Joon Pyo had been acting strangely before…

"But, you do…know something…about Ji Hoo, right?" she asked and then waited, tense for his response.

Joon Pyo stopped, sighed, and rubbed his neck. Did he have bad news to share? She didn't want to hear if he did, but she needed to know.

"Did something…happen to him?" she demanded. Joon Pyo turned to look at her and took a deep breath.

Jan Di felt like she was outside of her body. Why was he taking so long to say something?

"Tell me now!" Jan Di shouted. She glanced toward the house to see if anyone had heard. She hadn't wanted to have the conversation in front of the kids or Grandfather.

"OK, Jan Di, calm down…," he put one hand on each of her shoulders. She stared up at him, petrified.

Joon Pyo sighed, "I found out where he was sent, but…Ji Hoo is…missing," he finally said.

Jan Di's heart began to flutter wildly, like a trapped butterfly in a net. Why was it suddenly so difficult to get air…?

"…M-m-missing…?" Jan Di stuttered. "What do you mean…missing…?!" Missing… Missing?! She repeated it over and over in her head until it seemed to lose all meaning. It can't be!

Joon Pyo released a heavy-laden breath. "He got separated from his unit trying to help someone, and they can't find him now."

It was Jan Di's turn now to pace. "Separated? Where? When? How long has he been…missing?" she asked, turning back to him.

"It's been two weeks."

"Two weeks?! When did you find this out?"

"I've known the whole time..."

"How could you…how could you keep this from me?!"

"Mianhae. But I am doing everything I can to find him. We all are, Woo Bin and Yi Jeong, too. We have people on it. He will be found. I'll make sure of it. I promise you."

Jan Di wobbled slightly. Joon Pyo reached out, but she pushed his hand away. "I have to…I have to…check on the kids," she mumbled.


Jan Di stumbled into the nursery like a zombie, past her mother and brother, who were staring at her. Seok-young and Mee-Yon were sleeping now. She gazed upon their faces. She brushed aside Seok-young's bangs and placed a kiss upon his head. She did the same for Mee-Yon. And then she stood there, staring at them.

Gong-Joo and Kang San approached Jan Di. Gong-Joo touched Jan Di's arm, and she flinched.

"Noona, are you OK?" Kang San asked.

"Yes," she responded immediately, then turned to her mother. "Eomma, could you…watch the kids for a little while longer?"

"Mm," Gong-Joo nodded, a puzzled look crossing her face, "But where are you going, Jan Di-yah?"

"I just…need to go…somewhere," was Jan Di's vague reply.


Jan Di left the nursery and made her way to the back door. "Where are you going?" Joon Pyo demanded. She ignored him and stepped outside. He captured her wrist. "Where are you going?" he repeated. "Let me go…," Jan Di mumbled in a cold voice. When he didn't release her right away, she pulled herself free and began to steadily walk off. She warned him not to follow her. Joon Pyo exhaled and watched her leave.

Jan Di left the house on foot. The sky was overcast, and Jan Di's head felt just as clouded. As if mirroring her mood, the sky darkened, and it started to rain. It began as a simple sprinkle but became progressively heavier, as did the growing weight upon her heart.

Then, Jan Di began to run, not quite sure where she was running to exactly, but she just felt the need to be moving… The terrible sting of the news she'd just gotten coupled with the guilt of just taking off like that made her want to run even more. She ran faster and faster, as if trying to escape from some terrible monster but being unable to. Her legs felt like jelly; it was amazing they were even holding her up, yet she had a strange surge of adrenaline. She fell once or twice, scuffing her knee and putting a large hole in her new jeans, but she simply got up and carried on.

Jan Di wandered for nearly an hour in the rain. Not knowing where else to turn, she made her way toward the one sanctuary she had always known, the Clinic.

As she approached the warmth of the Clinic, Jan Di's mind began to quiet. She finally felt the adrenaline begin to wear off, and she grew tired. And then the guilt returned. Feeling like the worst mother in the world for taking off like that, Jan Di slowed to a stop. Then, she turned around to head for home.


Dr. Jang finished up with his paperwork at the Clinic. He grabbed his briefcase and headed out the door, stopping only briefly to pull out his umbrella. As he stepped outside, he nearly collided with Jan Di. "Oh, mianhae… Kiddo, what are you—?"

Dr. Jang stopped short upon seeing Jan Di's appearance. Her hair was tied back and dripping wet, her damp clothing clung to her, and she was white as a sheet. She also seemed to have not even registered his presence. "Kiddo, are you alright?" She walked away from him, muttering that she needed to go home. "Jan Di, what's wrong?"

She didn't respond but continued walking off. "Jan Di!" Dr. Jang called out to her forcefully. When she once again failed to respond, he rushed to her, grabbing her by the crook of the arm. Jan Di stopped, but only because he was holding her back. He held out his umbrella to shelter her from the rain.

"Let me go, please. I have to get home…," she muttered.

"I'll take you," he insisted, as he attempted to lead her toward his car.

"It's OK," she pulled away.

"Don't be stubborn! …Just let me take you."

Dr. Jang caught her arm again and turned her around to face him. He looked into her dark, vacant eyes. She stared back blankly, and then cast her eyes downward.

"What happened?" He gave her arm a gentle squeeze. She simply shook her head, as if to indicate she didn't want to talk about it.

Dr. Jang tightened his jaw. He noticed she was shivering lightly now. "You're soaked! And freezing…," he instinctively began rubbing her arm in a brisk motion, creating friction, and then turned to the other. She stood there, ramrod stiff and staring down at the ground. Suddenly, Jan Di recoiled and embraced herself, realizing that she was a bit cold, but that a man other than her husband had been caressing her.

She finally looked up at Dr. Jang. Her dark eyelashes fluttered a few times before her eyelids closed. Dropping his umbrella, Dr. Jang caught her, barely, as she slipped from consciousness. He carried her into the Clinic and lay her down on a gurney. Dr. Jang covered her with a light blanket. He felt her forehead and then went for a cold compress. Placing it across her forehead, he then folded his arms tight and looked down upon her.


Dr. Jang prepared to call Jan Di's home to notify them of her whereabouts. Just then, the door to the Clinic slid roughly open. Dr. Jang left Jan Di to notify the person entering that they were closed, only to see Goo Joon Pyo standing in the entryway.

"Oh, Goo Joon Pyo-ssi… I suppose you're looking for Jan Di."

"Yes, is she here?"

Dr. Jang nodded and ushered him into the back, where Jan Di lay on the gurney. Joon Pyo stared somberly down at Jan Di.

"She collapsed after being out in the rain. She seemed to be in a state of exhaustion and shock, and she has a mild fever, probably from being out in the rain."

Joon Pyo tightened his jaw and nodded.

"What happened to her?" Dr. Jang asked, looking to Joon Pyo for explanation. Joon Pyo didn't respond but instead began to lift Jan Di from the gurney.

"Oh, she should probably stay here for a bit to rest," Dr. Jang interjected.

"She can rest better at home."

Dr. Jang tightened his mouth and nodded. "Well, ensure that she rests, drinks plenty of fluids, and keep her body temperature down with—"

"I got it," Joon Pyo cut him off. And without another word, Joon Pyo lifted Jan Di into his arms and carried her out to his car.


Amidst cries of fear and pain, the sound of shots rang out, steadily growing louder and louder to a deafening crescendo. Women were wailing over the bodies of husbands and children, soldiers were mourning lost brothers, and the scent of gunpowder hung heady in the air, clouded by a thick fog of smoke… Jan Di was suddenly in the midst of a battle. She looked all around her, taking in the surroundings of a thick jungle.

Suddenly, she saw Ji Hoo, and she tried to run to him, but she couldn't move… She reached out, calling his name, but she seemed to have no voice. No one around her seemed to even notice her. Her eyes remained fixed upon Ji Hoo, tending to a young girl who had been injured. Just then, he noticed her and called to her, warning her. Ji Hoo ran to her. There was a loud explosion. Ji Hoo grabbed her around the waist, shielding her with his body, as they were blown back by a tremendous force.

Ji Hoo lay across her, and Jan Di struggled to move. She gently rolled Ji Hoo to the side and leaned over him. His body was motionless, his eyes lifeless. She called his name, repeating it over and over. Hot tears were streaming down her face, as she shook him, trying to somehow will him back to life, but he simply lay there cold... "Ji Hoo-yah, please…please! No...no…no!"


Jan Di tossed in her sleep, whimpering like a child. She awoke mid-shout, bolting upright in her bed, "Ji Hoo-yah, NO!" Breathing heavily, Jan Di turned her head and noticed her mother there beside her.

"Shh, it's OK, Jan Di-yah…," Gong-Joo soothed.

"Eomma?" Jan Di muttered.

Gong-Joo nodded. "Yes, Eomma is here...," she brushed a piece of Jan Di's hair back and then wiped several tears that had escaped. Gong-Joo was not used to seeing her daughter in such a fragile emotional state, and it was quite upsetting.

"Eomma…what happened…?"

"Shh, you passed out, and you had a nightmare. Just rest now."

"So, it was all just a terrible nightmare, then…," she breathed out. Then, her mind wandered. All of it? "So, Ji Hoo is OK… He's not missing…?"

Gong-Joo glanced away. Joon Pyo had filled her in on the situation.

It had been a nightmare, but the horror of her reality quickly returned to Jan Di. Ji Hoo was missing… And she had no idea whether he was alive or dead…

Jan Di twisted the covers between her fingers, staring down at her hands. Gong-Joo tightened and pulled her daughter into a warm hug. "Eomma…," Jan Di whimpered dismally.

Joon Pyo snuck a glance into the bedroom. He watched as Jan Di's mother comforted her, and then he turned to leave. As he walked out, he pulled out his phone.

"What's the word, Woo Bin? Give me some good news!" Joon Pyo demanded.


Joon Pyo and F2 assured Jan Di that they were doing everything possible in their power to find Ji Hoo. But, Joon Pyo continued to be conflicted and had nearly gone himself several times.

Jan Di, herself, had contacted the military to inquire about Ji Hoo, fully intending upon remaining calm and collected. They'd been very apologetic about the situation and failing to inform her, through some vague communication error. And they reassured her that they were doing everything possible to retrieve Private Yoon Ji Hoo. Ironically, it was Joon Pyo who calmed Jan Di when she nearly became hysterical, insisting that it wasn't good enough and demanding that they do more.


Another few days passed by. Jan Di continued to immerse herself in work and in the children, attempting to go about her days like normal. But she felt like she was simply drifting along on an endless sea with no sight of shore. And she didn't care. Well, she did, but only because of her children. They were the only things keeping her going right now, her two bright flickers of light in a dark abyss.

Her friends and family provided their love and support, and Jan Di had been doing her utmost to remain hopeful and positive. "Any day now, there'll be good news, any day now… I just know it…," she told herselfBut even a positive attitude and a very hectic schedule could not completely banish her fears and anxieties. And she was constantly assaulted by thoughts and memories of Ji Hoo... It was very distracting, and she'd been making a lot of mistakes lately. She berated herself incessantly for this.


The days and nights were hard; some extremely so. But Jan Di just kept telling herself that she needed to be strong, for Seok-young and Mee-Yon. It wouldn't do for them to see their mother sad and crying… But, sometimes…when she was alone…she would surrender to the loneliness and despair, and she would cry. It was supposed to be cathartic, or so people said.


One night, Jan Di was greatly missing Ji Hoo and fearing for his safety. She went to their room, and she prayed for him, as she did every night. Then, she pulled out her box of Ji Hoo letters, as she always did, from under the bed. She grabbed a random one and opened it.

"Fun fact about otters, my love… Did you know that they hold paws while they sleep to keep from floating away from each other? I'll never let you float away, my otter… Wow, that was pretty sappy, wasn't it?"

Jan Di smiled tenderly as she read this part and sniffled. She hadn't thought it sappy at all, but rather very cute and sweet.

"But, I do mean that. Happy Anniversary, my lotus! I love you more than you can possibly imagine!" Jan Di ran her fingers across the paper.

Her smile quickly faded, and she grew miserable. Why was she torturing herself this way? "Oh, where are you…?" she asked desperately. A few tears sprinkled onto the paper. "Oh!" she quickly wiped them away, not wanting to smudge his precious writing.

Jan Di pulled out the stuffed otter Ji Hoo had sent from inside the box, and she gave the plush semi-aquatic mammal a light squeeze. Mee-Yon slept with hers every night; it comforted her because it smelled like Appa.

Ji Hoo is fine; I know he's fine... He has to beI'll be strong… I have to be, right Ji Hoo-yah…?

A memory forcibly came back to her. She recalled Ji Hoo's words the day before Joon Pyo was to wed Jae Kyung…


"Ever since I met you, I wanted only one thing, for you to be happy…and not cry… Just like the day we first met, smiling brightly…," Ji Hoo said, as he gazed out the window of the restaurant on Jeju Island, his back to her. He turned and approached her, continuing, "After tomorrow comes, I'm afraid you won't be able to smile again…and that scares me…"

Jan Di took a deep breath, and with a heavy heart she put on her bravest smile. "Don't worry. I can smile… I will smile… Because you are looking out for me, Sunbae…"

She wiped her tears with the sleeve of her jacket. "Ahh, the salty sea air must have gotten to me…"

He approached and sat down beside her. Holding out his handkerchief, he prepared to wipe the tears away once again. But, she brushed it aside, "I'm fine." The gesture seemed to shock and even…hurt him.

"My tears are so used to being wiped away by you, Sunbae…that's why they keep falling like this…"

Ji Hoo said nothing but pulled back the handkerchief, clenching it tightly between his fingertips.


Jan Di felt a tear roll down her face. She quickly wiped it away. "I won't give up on you, Ji Hoo-yah! I know you'll come back to me. I'll be brave. I'll smile for you, my firefighter, and for our children...I promise!"

Despite her promise to be brave, the tears returned, at first as a light sprinkle and then a heavy downpour… And they continued to fall, like an endless spring rain. And before Jan Di knew it, her body was shuddering violently. She collapsed onto her bed in a ball, embracing the stuffed otter and still clutching the letter.

Perhaps hearing the emergency bell, Seok-young climbed out of his crib and snuck into the master bedroom, only to find his eomma quietly sobbing into her pillow. Jan Di glanced up and noticed him staring at her, his hands clasped in front of him. Seok-young was old enough now to realize that something was very wrong, and his sadness was evident.

Seok-young asked if Eomma was OK, with a slight pout on his features, and Jan Di beckoned her mini firefighter into the bed with her. She gave him a loving smile and cuddled him. Then, she kissed his forehead once, twice, telling him that everything was fine and that Eomma had just gotten something in her eye.

Jan Di realized she needed to be more careful; she needed to be stronger, so as not to hurt her children. And she vowed that she wasn't going to let herself cry anymore, no matter how miserable she became…


Several days later, Jan Di and Dr. Jang were working at the Clinic. Dr. Jang watched Jan Di with a heavy heart, as she went about her day. He watched her treat patients with a pleasant yet broken smile. Although she put on a good front, he could read her well enough to know that she was in agony. And he couldn't stand to see it. The dark circles under her eyes indicated she hadn't been sleeping well. She hadn't been eating much, either, as far as he could tell. He rarely saw her eat anyway; she used to eat anything in sight, and she'd grown thinner.

Dr. Jang wondered if perhaps he should take her somewhere, to try to get her mind off whatever was bothering her. He assumed it had something to do with Dr. Yoon, although she wouldn't say.


Dr. Jang left for 20 minutes and returned with take-out. He pulled Jan Di aside by the wrist.

"Seonsaengnim, what are you doing?" she asked, as he sat her down in a chair at Grandfather's old desk that he was currently occupying. He took a seat behind the desk across from her.

"Eat," Dr. Jang demanded, pointing to the food he'd spread out across the table.

"But, I'm not very—" she began.

"Eat," he reiterated, cutting her off.

Jan Di sighed and grabbed a pair of chopsticks. She began poking at the food. Dr. Jang covered his mouth with his hand and watched her closely. She glanced up and met his eyes.

He folded his arms and began staring at her expectantly. So, she popped a bite into and began to slowly chew. While she chewed, she watched him watching her closely, waiting for her to take another bite.

"Are you really going to watch me eat, Seonsaengnim?" she asked, incredulous, "It's creepy," she added in an attempt at discouraging him.

"If I must… Do I need to watch you in order to make sure you eat?" he asked.

"No. That's not necessary," she said shortly.

"Well, you have to eat, Jan Di, or you're going to faint, again…."

"I have been eating…"

"Oh really?" he raised his voice slightly. "I haven't seen it lately."

She grumbled a response he couldn't quite make out. "Fine," she said, shoving another bite into .

Dr. Jang sighed, "So, are you ready to talk about it?" he asked.

Jan Di simply shook her head. She definitely did not want to talk about it; she couldn't even stand to think about it. She just wished it would all go away…

"Jan Di, I'm concerned."

She stared blankly at him.

"What's going on? Do you want to explain why your appetite has greatly decreased, or why you're always so down, or why you are wandering out in the rain and fainting?"

"It's nothing," she replied, looking away.

"Nothing, really…? Are you depressed?"

"No."

"Are you sure? Do you need to pay a visit to my ex-wife?"

"Certainly not!"

"I know you must miss your husband…," Dr. Jang said. Jan Di blinked and looked away once more.

"Have you not heard from him?"

"…No," she admitted, fighting back tears.

Dr. Jang tightened his mouth. "Well, I'm sure you will soon." Jan Di simply nodded. She wasn't so sure, but Dr. Jang didn't know the situation and she really did not want to explain right now.

Dr. Jang paused, "…Well, if you decide you want to talk, I'm here. But you do need to start taking better care of yourself… If not for you, then do it for your kids. How will you care for them if you are too weak from hunger and sleep deprivation?"

This struck a chord with Jan Di.

"And you need to stop playing in the rain," Dr. Jang teased, in attempt at eliciting a smile from her, but she barely reacted.


That evening, Jan Di returned home. Joon Pyo had stopped by to check in. After looking in on Seok-young and Mee-Yon, Jan Di and Joon Pyo returned to the living room, only to see two uniformed officers approaching the back door.

Jan Di stopped dead in her tracks. "Joon Pyo…," she mumbled shakily, "…What are they doing here?"

Joon Pyo was likewise caught off-guard. The military didn't normally make personal visits unless a soldier had died. "I don't know. Go check on the kids. I'll go see what they want," he made his way resolutely to the door. Joon Pyo didn't like the look of this. And he'd vowed to protect Jan Di at any cost.

Joon Pyo intercepted the officers outside. Rather than leaving the room, Jan Di remained there, watching and lightly trembling in terrible anticipation. She couldn't hear what was being said, but Joon Pyo took an aggressive step forward and grabbed one of the soldiers by the collar.

Jan Di quickly exited the house and demanded that Joon Pyo stop. He reluctantly released the soldier. Jan Di stood before Joon Pyo and the soldiers. She was doing her best to stand tall and strong, though she was terrified of what they had to say. But, she wouldn't be a coward. She would face it head-on, whatever they had to say. She needed to hear the truth for herself, rather than having it sugarcoated or being lied to by a well-meaning friend. She murmured a silent prayer and greeted the soldiers.

The soldiers approached Jan Di and bowed, greeting her with the utmost respect. They informed her that they were from her husband's unit. Jan Di felt outside of her body, and she began to tremble involuntarily, as they informed her of the circumstances, that they had not been able to locate Ji Hoo and that, for now, they needed to pull out of the location for the safety of the other men involved. The soldiers apologized profusely after basically telling her that they were giving up on him.

Jan Di didn't know what to feel. So many emotions were rolling around within her. She was heartbroken and furious and so many other things that she couldn't pinpoint right now. It just didn't seem real to her… It couldn't possibly be real! In her head, she pleaded for it to all be a terrible, terrible nightmare. And she would give anything to wake up in Ji Hoo's arms right now…


The next day, Dr. Jang had the day off, and he couldn't stop thinking about Jan Di. Something was very wrong with her, but he didn't know what. He needed to figure it out, but she refused to talk to him. Perhaps he could seek out other sources of information. He'd been so worried about her being on her own today, even though the new doctor was there. He'd wanted to drop by the Clinic to check in, but he forced himself not to. Part of the reason for that was that his feelings for her had begun to resurface and intensify, and he thought it best to keep his distance right now.

Dr. Jang thought he had his feelings for Jan Di under control and had long since banished them. But, after his recent breakup with Soo Wan, and particularly after that night in the rain, Dr. Jang found himself thinking about Jan Di often. All he'd wanted to do that night was to hold her, comfort her… These days, he'd been fixated… He yearned so much to see her smile again, to see her happy again…

Dr. Jang exhaled sharply and decided to distract himself with paperwork. He went for his briefcase but realized he'd forgotten it…at the Clinic.


Jan Di had assured Joon Pyo that she was fine, but it was clear to him that she was not. How could she possibly be…? But Joon Pyo had assured her that he would never give up on Ji Hoo, as the military had. And he would personally search for him until he was found. Joon Pyo promised to bring Ji Hoo back to her. He didn't know if it was a promise he could fulfill, but he would either succeed or die trying.

Joon Pyo immediately spoke with Woo Bin and Secretary Jung. Though Secretary Jung protested, Joon Pyo's was unrelenting. His mind was made up and could never be changed, so Joon Pyo's helicopter was on standby. But first, Joon Pyo needed to see Jan Di. He tried the house, but she wasn't home. Grandfather and the nanny informed him that she was working late at the Clinic.


Jan Di had told Joon Pyo that she was fine. She was anything but fine, though. Dr. Jang had been off that day, and she'd sent the other doctor home early for the evening. Jan Di wanted to be alone. She finished with her last patient of the day, did some paperwork, and then she decided to do a little cleaning before returning home.

Jan Di refused to entertain the notion that something terrible had happened to Ji Hoo. She just couldn't accept that. It was unthinkable, and if she even considered it as a possibility she would completely fall apart. She pushed the broom around the room in a daze, as memories of Ji Hoo, in this very place, came crashing into her like waves against a rocky shore.


She recalled the first time Ji Hoo had joined Grandfather and her at the Clinic. She'd forced him to serve the patients tea while she held a young child. The patients had complimented him, the women calling him handsome and saying he'd make a perfect son-in-law. She recalled standing by, as he entertained the rambunctious children and their parents with a harmonica. She could still hear the bouncy melody in her head.

Then, she recalled the times he'd comforted her there… She recalled him catching her by the wrist and apologizing for losing his cool with Joon Pyo after his memory loss.


"How long did you wait outside? Your hands are freezing...," she said, with tender exasperation. She took Ji Hoo's hand between both of her smaller hands and began rubbing to produce heat. He looked up at her.

"What is cold is…your heart. You don't have to pretend to be strong around me," he said.

"I'm not pretending. It's because you're next to me… Your being here gives me strength," she replied.


And it was true. He had always given her bonus strength, refilling her supply when it was nearing empty. Even now, somehow...she could feel his borrowed strength in this room. It was like his essence was there…reassuring her that everything was going to be alright.

But how could it be?! If he was gone…no, it was a notion that she refused to accept! She refused to give up on him. She wanted so desperately to remain strong for Mee-Yon and Seok-young and for him, but her strength was quickly failing her…


Amidst these thoughts, Dr. Jang walked in.

"Hey Kiddo…," he greeted from behind her.

She seemed hyper-focused upon her task, and she didn't respond to him. "Jan Di? …Jan Di?" he repeated, trying to gain her attention. She finally turned but looked straight through him, without a word.

"What's wrong?" he asked helplessly. She cast her eyes to the floor, looking utterly broken.

"Please, tell me what's been bothering you…I want to help you," Dr. Jang urged, approaching her slowly.

"You can't…," Jan Di replied, and then her shoulders began to shudder. She dropped the broom she'd been holding and buried her face in her hand. Without another thought, Dr. Jang pulled Jan Di into his arms, crushing her tightly against his chest.

She released the torrent she'd been suppressing and began sobbing, loudly and violently, into Dr. Jang's chest. "I promised I wouldn't do this…," she lamented.

"Do what?" he asked gently, holding her tight. She didn't respond, only continued to cry. He ventured a bit further and d her hair, whispering, "Shh, it's OK…it's OK…" He didn't ask her again what was wrong; he simply held her.


Jan Di was not in her right mind. She could feel a pair of strong arms surrounding her. Déjà vu washed over her; it all seemed so familiar somehow. Ji Hoo…, she thought, closing her eyes. Had it all been a horrible nightmare? Was he really there with her right now? Or, was she simply imagining it? Another one of her memories, perhaps… She sunk into him and instinctively reached out to wrap her arms around his back, tightening her grip and wrinkling his shirt between her fingers.


Dr. Jang was shocked that Jan Di had allowed him to hold her like this and even more so that she had returned the embrace… She was obviously lonely… And he was lonely, too, since his break-up with Soo-Won. Though he knew it was all wrong, and it broke his heart to see her in such a state, having her there in his arms was heavenly, experiencing the warmth of her, the sweet scent of her hair, the feel of her body pressed close to his… He knew it wouldn't last, but he would allow himself the guilty pleasure of enjoying it just a bit longer…


They remained like that for another moment before Jan Di came to her senses. It's not him, she finally realized, and she pulled back, dropping her arms to her sides. Dr. Jang was staring down at her, with a look of concern and something else upon his face. He placed his hands upon her upper arms, quietly staring at her for what seemed like an eternity. She looked up at him, still slightly dazed. Then, she saw him lean in…


Dr. Jang felt his head dip, and he was leaning in, closer and closer to Jan Di's lips. What am I doing? This isn't right! But, it was as if his body had a mind of its own. It was not listening to the logical demands of his head. He felt as though he were watching himself on a screen, helplessly shouting, "You idiot, stop this immediately!"

Something finally clicked within him, and he managed to pull himself back from the brink. It was all wrong… She was a married woman, who was clearly hurting… And he refused to take advantage of that. Upon returning to his senses, he stopped himself.


Jan Di was staring at him now, he realized, with a horrified expression on her face. She was holding up her hands to keep him at bay, but he still had a hold of her arms. "Seonsaengnim, wh-what…what are you doing?!" she demanded, looking bewildered.

"I, uh…I don't know. I didn't mean to… Jan Di, I'm so sorry…," he stammered, his eyes begging for her forgiveness.

Jan Di immediately wrenched herself free from Dr. Jang's embrace and ran off. Dr. Jang cursed himself and slumped onto the bench, burying his face in his hands. UghI'm such a moron…


Joon Pyo had arrived at the Clinic in time to see Jan Di ripping herself from Dr. Jang's arms, only to rush out of the Clinic past him without stopping. Dr. Jang was sitting on the bench of the Clinic now. Joon Pyo clenched his fist, tightened his jaw, and walked in.

"What the hell were you doing?" Joon Pyo demanded.

Dr. Jang looked up, slapping his hands against his knees. "What are you talking about?"

"I think you know," Joon Pyo stated, as he slowly approached.

Dr. Jang sighed and rose from his seat. "I wasn't doing anything...," but then he looked away, still guilt-ridden.

"The hell you weren't!" Joon Pyo shouted, his breathing escalated, "I warned you before about interfering…"

"I wasn't interfering…"

"I know that you're in love with Jan Di. You'd take advantage of this situation, you bastard?!"

"I don't even know what the situation is!" Dr. Jang shouted in frustration. "All I know is she was upset. She needed comfort, so I was…comforting her...that's all!" But even Dr. Jang didn't believe that his actions had been completely innocent.

"It's not your place to comfort her, dammit!"

"And whose place is it?! Yours?!" Dr. Jang shouted back. The two men were standing tensely face-to-face now.

Joon Pyo's chest was rising and falling heavily, and he was glaring at Dr. Jang. "My best friend could be dead right now…that's the least of my worries, you bastard!" Joon Pyo delivered a swift punch to Dr. Jang's face, knocking him to one knee.

With reddened eyes and heaving chest, Joon Pyo glared down at Dr. Jang. Dr. Jang touched his already swelling cheek and stared up at Joon Pyo, more in shock from his words than his fist. "What?! …What do you mean Dr. Yoon could be dead?"

So, that's what has been bothering her…

When Joon Pyo said nothing, Dr. Jang repeated his question, rising to his feet. Joon Pyo did not explain his statement further, but rather warned, "Just, stay the hell away from her! She's vulnerable right now, and she doesn't need some bastard taking advantage of that!"

"I would never take advantage of her!" Dr. Jang defended, though he knew that he had been very close to doing just that.

Joon Pyo turned from him to leave, but Dr. Jang grabbed him by the arm. Joon Pyo violently shook it off. "Don't touch me!" he seethed, "I made a promise to my best friend that I would take care of his family if he couldn't, and I fully intend to keep that promise… I'm going to be leaving for a little while. I'm going to find him myself. If you ever pull any crap like that with Jan Di again, I'll kill you!"

Joon Pyo's words dripped venom. They exchanged one last tense stare, and Joon Pyo stormed out. After Joon Pyo left, Dr. Jang stumbled over to the bench again.

Perhaps he had been taking advantage a little… But, he hadn't intended to… He'd only wanted to comfort Jan Di because he couldn't stand to see that despairing look upon her pretty face… But then, when she embraced him back and looked into his eyes like that…he'd felt drawn in by some powerful force…and he'd allowed his emotions to overtake him. Though she never would have allowed it, he'd barely restrained himself from attempting to kiss her…

That was enough to make him feel like a huge jerk, but now, finding out that Dr. Yoon could be dead…he felt like the worst person in the world… He had deserved that sobering punch, and then some… Dr. Jang slumped onto the bench and dropped his head to his hands. What the hell is wrong with me?!

To Be Concluded...

A/N: I purposely kept the location a secret and I wanted to keep the suspense going, but I hope this wasn't too confusing. Thanks for your support!