Chapter IX

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The blonde was certain he did see a mark on Daeun’s neck and from that very moment, questions never stop rolling into his mind. When and where did she get it from? In what occasion would she get it? By what or with whom? He couldn’t find any answers to those nor that he could get his mind out of the scene where the girl tried to cover the purple bruise with her hair, which made it even more suspicious. Sure, Jeonghan knew something was fishy however, asking the girl straightforwardly right then would be too humiliating as both her friend Mari and his crush Seungcheol were there. So, he determined to interrogate the girl later.

Now there were three theories he had clenched out of his goofy brain; first – optimistically thinking – the girl had hit herself exactly at her neck with something hard – why would she do that though? Second – likely too impossible – the girl had been drunk and made out with some unknown guy at the club. But she was such a nice girl, he couldn’t imagine her going to a single club even. And third – not so impossible but more like horrific? – she had made out with her real partner – someone she really loved, someone she could tell every futile matter that happened in her daily life to, someone she could trust her life with, even – someone better than a feeble, incompetent yet negligent, irresponsible fiancé as known as Yoon Jeonghan. Maybe it would be better for them if they both called this marriage an end. It wasn’t that the long-haired was complaining but she could have at least told him beforehand that she got herself someone, couldn’t she?! This matter did relate to him though! But again, the girl was too decent to be committing any of his stupid said theories – even the first one, she was too cautious for that too.

His face became more clouded and the blonde heaved a heavy sigh as he kept thinking in a loop, unable to solve anything. He set his chin on the cold surface of his ebony desk – yes, in a day after the day as blissful as Christmas Day, he was again back in his desolate apartment. Even the random maid whom his mother sent to tidy up the place had also left. Currently, you could hear even if a needle dropped. His mother should be here by now or she would definitely be moody and restless about not having enough time to prepare the best dishes for her spouse and her beloved son – she said they would have grand celebration at the long-haired’s penthouse later that evening. In what occasion, he didn’t know. He just wished there wouldn’t be any surprise for him or anything related to him.

He then remembered to text ‘hwaiting!’ to Junhui since the younger told him he was going to do something he had never done before in his twenty-three-year-old life – to confess to a boy.

 

-

 

Their journey set off in an indeed early morning. After the brown had told Minghao that he would be coming along, he hadn’t expected the other to take it so seriously. As he was still in his sweet dreamland, Jun heard some knocks at his dorm’s door but at first ignored them. Everything went back to peace for a while. However, a minute later came rapid violent knocks that would have broken the door if the Chinese boy hadn’t no longer taken it and sat up, scratching his already disheveled hair. Having hard time clearing his blurry eyes, he took his phone out and the screen read 05:04. Who would be here at 5 freaking a.m.? Is there nothing to do? Then a series of severe angry knocks came again, urging the room’s owner to balance himself up and see who the hell dared to disturb his pleasant sleep at this hour.

“Coming~” Why so impatient? He thought as staggering to the inlet, almost stumbled in shock at the macabrely dreadful countenance – or rather the eerily clouded radius emitted from the person. “Ha-Hao-ah?! You’re- you’re early!”

“No, I’m late.” Late what? “Are you ready to leave?” The younger then took a more attentive look at the other and continued deadpan. “I guess not…”

“Oh, I forgot! Gimme five mins-” Realizing their promised time was 5 straight a.m., Jun quickly disappeared, leaving the door open. Minghao casually followed inside for it was cold after all, even it wasn’t snowing. The older reappeared from the bathroom after some time, finding the younger casting a quite unpleasant look. He rubbed his nape embarrassingly, “sorry if this is a bit untidy.”

To Minghao, the room wasn’t just a bit untidy, it was cluttered; books and documents piled up on one side, crumpled used clothes on another, and fast food litter on the other. “I can’t believe Jeonghan hyung used to live here.” In this crap, he added to himself. “Let’s go.”

It was Jun’s first time taking a train that far. Initially, he thought it would be boring being in the train for almost four hours, but it was not really; perhaps because the outlook was captivating, perhaps because he got excited and nervous at the same time for what would happen later that day – what reaction would his parents give, having someone unknown confessing to their son at their place? – or perhaps because the boy next to him who kept talking energetically to the elders sitting next to them or just walking pass. Come to a think of it, where were they going again? Gyeongbuk? Minghao must have had hard time adapting to the city’s life for it took them all morning traveling – now he understood why the younger must appoint them that early. They did arrive at almost 10 at…a big church? No…it was a convent.

“This is why we came all the way here?” Reckoning the younger just wanted to pray, Jun said jokingly while following him in. He didn’t mind though, he was just curious why the other had to take them through the large wood, bringing the four plushies and sundry presents along.

Despite his composed expression, Minghao was in fact nervous to death. How would Jun react when he met his parents? Would he pity him or would he be embarrassed? Would he look down on him, like many had done, or would he still be his friend? He didn’t know at all, sweats starting to roll down his hairline, his hands starting to play with themselves. He didn’t answer.

The taller didn’t suspect anything until they had passed the church area, “um, Hao-ah, where are we-”

“Ho hyung!” A chubby-cheeked toddler appeared out of nowhere, running into his hyung’s arms. Hyung? Don’t tell him… “I miss you so, so much.”

Letting the boy out of his embrace, he playfully tousled his hair. “Seungkwan-ah, good to see you. Wow, have you grown taller?”

“Sister Ra says I’m now 89 centimeters!” He replied happily, trying to be as tallest as he could by standing on his little toes.

“4 centimeters in half a year?! That’s amazing!” He matched the boy’s height, avoiding the older’s confused and full-of-question eyes. “What were you doing?”

“Sister Ra and sister Go are measuring our weids and heids as the year’s ending.”

“It’s weight and height, baby.” He grabbed the toddler’s hand. “Can you lead us the way?”

“Let’s go!~” Seungkwan also used his other tiny hand to pull Junhui along.

 

-

 

The Chinese boy walked along the cloister, absentmindedly watching the snow that had started to fall again lightly. He primarily thought Minghao would be flabbergasted about what he was going to tell him, but Junhui ended up being the one who was dumbfounded. Up till now, the boy had yet to confess. With the children and the Sisters and everyone around, he wouldn’t dare to ruin their peaceful family time. Family… Minghao sure had a good one; Father and Mother, several aunties, and a bundle of adorable little brothers and sisters. Now the brown-haired understood why the other’s house could fit more ten people, maybe twenty. Father and Mother were really kind. Their smiles were warm and their gazes were welcoming. The Sisters were a lot more cheerful and funnier. Some even told dad jokes although they were super lame for Junhui – does she learn it from newspaper or what? And isn’t that taboo for a nun or something?

The Chinese boys had done so many things together throughout the day; they ran and jumped around the broad backyard with his dongsaengs, playing countless childish games, they played with Cheolie – their horse, they prayed in the church, they fed the kids snacks and even had pillow fights before putting the young ones to their afternoon needed naps, however, the older knew it wasn’t him that made Minghao smiled and laughed like the way he did today. It was the kids. After some figuration, the brown-haired became certain his siblings were Minghao’s everything. He needed nothing more and less. And Junhui himself shouldn’t-

“Jun-ah, you’re here.” He was snapped out from the trains of his thoughts. “I search for you everywhere.” Myungho flopped himself down the vacant space between the pillars next to the older whose heart somehow beat faster and casually put his skinny arm over his shoulder. “What are you doing here alone? Tired of my dongsaengs?”

“Nah, I just…want some fresh air.” He pretended to take a deep breath and looked up at the open sky where the sun was setting, illuminating fascinatingly purple-pink-orange light. “Today’s weather is nice…so are your family.”

The younger couldn’t help but to take a glance at the person beside him. “…Aren’t you disappointed?”

“…Actually, I am.” He honestly replied.

“…” A grip on his shoulder loosened but Junhui seized it back to place, this time their faces were even closer.

He continued softly. “However, I’ve learnt that family is family. Real or not, it’s still a family, no one and nothing can change that fact.” Minghao felt like tearing up, he couldn’t be happier. Finally, someone who understands… “And I wanna thank you.” Huh?

“What for? I should be the one thanking you.”

His puzzled expression was too adorable for Junhui to take, but he held in and pretended to grit. “Hmm…for everything?”

The younger playfully hit him. “Don’t be dramatic.”

“Hmm…for existing in this world?” The ol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter