Chapter XIII

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The long-haired man left after bidding goodbye to his grandparents in the earliest morning – he didn’t intent to stay a night there but ended up doing so anyway.

A part of him told him not to think much of what his grandmother had said last night. Another part however told him otherwise. But the last and biggest part told him to straightforwardly interrogate whoever in whatever matters, for once and for all. Jeonghan knew that would probably be the only solution and had been putting it off because he was too scared.

If granny was right, then what? Seungcheol and I are half-brothers. Seungcheol is the company’s other possible heir. Everything about my twin is a lie? But how did Seungcheol ended up as an orphan though? Do appa, eomma have-

“Adeul.”

He almost forgot he was sitting in the VIP ward. “N-nae, eomma.”

“Didn’t you hear me? Fetch me a cup of water.” The son obediently did as being told. When he was back at the seat again, his eomma suddenly started, “Is something concerning you?”

Jeonghan didn’t reply right away but took a moment to deeply contemplate whether or not it was worth asking. He eventually said, “Please be honest with me, for just once.” He could see his mother’s grip on the cup tighten. “How exactly is Choi Seungcheol related to us, to our family, to me?”

Her eyes weren’t meeting his. “…I-I’ve already told you everything.”

“Eomma, Jaebal!” The son almost hissed but stopped himself, giving out a dry sigh. “I know there is something more. There must be…”

“There is nothing more to tell.” Anyone believing those words would be a fool because more and more sweat apparently continued to roll down her hairline.

“Alright…if you do not want to, you do not have to.” He said finally, then quietly added, “Because Halmeoni already did.”

“Wh-what did she tell you?!”

“Truths.” The man responded calmly despite her raising voice as if he had expected her reaction.

“Y-you know that she’s got Alzheimer, right?”

“I’m fully aware of that. So there’s no need to be so worked up, isn’t there?” Her face became colorless at the remark. “The doctor said you might be discharged tomorrow. I will see myself out now.”

Not that Jeonghan liked it but, when coming to this matter, their conversation never ended well and would never. He had intended to take a few glances in the dental building to see if his brother-like friend was there; however, now that his interest and power to wander around had all escaped him, his next destination was changed to be Gwanghyewon – at least the place reminded him of the latter.

 

-

 

There were not so many people on weekends – especially Sunday that some would go to church and wherenot – just students that needed to study, which was probably almost every student.

He had been intending to take Chan to the Garden of Yonsei History and today seemed to be a good deal. Throughout years and years that he had been here – studying, graduating, working – lots of things and places had changed. And if he was to choose one that was the least changed, it would be here. Well, there was not much to change anyway, just earth, grass, trees, and benches.

Unlike others, Chan started walking when he was around ten months, but that didn’t make him any less expert at it now that he was almost thirteen-month old and had always been practicing. Actually, he seemed to truly enjoy it.

“Uri Chanie, I didn’t get a picnic blanket because I know you like grass, soil, and also fresh air~”

“Ae.” The baby, too, was excited.

“But you know what? We do have a picnic basket~” While the man was paying half of his attention to preparing the bottle and the other half to a sudden call from one of his colleagues, the little human, as soon as his feet met the earth, his eyes fixed on a white butterfly, started wandering about and away from his dad.

Thud!

 

-

 

Jeonghan could see students with thick glasses and a couple of books here and there. It was quite impressive that the garden looked pretty much the same even after eight years; someone must have done an excellent job of conserving green areas. The long-haired looked up, inhaling the fresh air and closing his eyes to feel the strong wind that blew his sleek hair.

Thud!

If an unknown toddler with his face kissing the ground appeared before you, there was no need for someone to tell you to leave your pose and help that child up, and that was exactly what Jeonghan did. With round pooling orbs, the boy seemed to be able to start crying at any time, so the man – after checking the younger had got no bruising marking or any swelling, which there shouldn’t be because it was just grass and soil but just making sure – got down to match the boy’s height and pulled him into his embrace.

“Ul-jima. Gwaenchana, ul-jima.” He was continuously the soft hair and tapping the tiny back in hope to coax him. And it did work, or sort of, because the boy didn’t really start crying but went forth and back between faint whimpering and sniffling.

“…Na…bi…” Whispered the boy to his chest.

“Hmm? What did you say?” The older pulled out and the truth was hitting him that he found the boy really familiar. Where have I seen him?

“Na…bi-”

“Chan-ah!”

“Appa!” ‘Chan’ instantly left his arms at the call of the sharp low voice. The chaebol then got back on his feet. But before he could say anything, another truth was hitting him, harder than the one before. He froze.

No, not again… But wait, why does he look so real this time? And also the child, how come I could hug him? Does this mean…?

“Are you hurt anywhere?” The young father looked really worried as he, turning the toddler around, checked on his son. He then continued scolding his child that he didn’t take heed of Jeonghan. “Why did you do that?! What did appa tell you? Not to run around, right? You deserve no dinner tonight!”

Although the boy didn’t fully understand what his appa was saying, he could sense that the man was angry with him, and immediately apologized just to be on the safe side. “…Sory, appa.”

“Good you know you did wrong. But you should’ve apologized to this person first.” It was time that the young dad’s eyes finally met the long-haired’s.

“Um…sory.”

The child bowed, so did the dad. “I will as well apologize as I wasn’t paying attention to him. Please accept my apology.”

Maybe because the other man was formal to him, Jeonghan likewise answered formally, “J-jinjja gwaenchana-yo.”

“Then, please excuse us.” The dad took his son’s hand and was about to turn away.

“Choi Seungcheol ssi?”

But Jeonghan’s last call made him look back.

“Hmm, how did you know my name?”

‘Am I supposed to know you, too?’ The almost-nine-year-old memory at the particular Tteokbokki kiosk started playing in his mind.

Wait, no. It shouldn’t be like this!

He…

Forgot me?

“Sir, are you okay?” The dad asked again as the mysterious man, who knew his name, seemed to become absentminded like he was surprised at something and just stood still.

Recovering from the shock, Jeonghan rubbed his nape. “Ah… Maybe you don’t recognize me as I haven’t introduced myself yet,” he offered his left hand.

“Yeah… You didn’t.” The dad shook it with much hesitation.

The chaebol could definitely tell this was real. He could feel the big rough hand against his own bony one.

“So how did you know me?” The dad was still suspicious.

“I, um,”

He couldn’t say they used to be in love because they did not actually. If he had forgotten who Jeonghan was, it was most likely that he had forgotten all the past they had shared, and saying they used to be friends wouldn’t make it any good. The last thing he would do was to say they were long-lost siblings. It was too bizarre to hear that from someone you perfectly had no idea about.

“Y-you work here, right?” He decided to take the risk because if the other didn’t work here… “A friend of mine told me about you. He said you were a really good doctor.” He lied.

The other’s expression slightly lightened. “Eo, keuraesseoyo? Was he my patient? Can I know his name?”

Shoot! What should I say? “Y-you wouldn’t recognize him. It was quite a long time ago.”

“Come on. Tell me.” The young dad was persistent.

“Uh,”

“Please.” There came the puppy orbs of his. And it worked with the long-haired every single time.

“Yoon Jeonghan. You know him?” What did I just do?

“Yoon…Jeonghan?”

 

-

 

“So, hyung, how are you going to find him anyway?” Myungho placed all the glasses by the sink.

“What do you mean?” The older indifferently continued washing the dishes.

Seeing that, he grabbed the cloth to help with the drying and continued along, “I mean, you don’t know his face. You don’t remember his voice. You don’t want Jun show you his pictures. And if I didn’t accidentally tell you his name, would you ever find it out on your own?”

“There’s no need for those unnecessary stuffs. If it’s him, I know it’s him.”

“How?” No picture, no voice, just name, how??? It’s not that having the same name with others is a crime or something…

“His scent.”

His jaw dropped. “…You must be kidding. Have you been watching those silly dramas or what?”

“Maybe I have.” The older just gave him an unreadable smile.

 

-

 

“Yoon…Jeonghan?”

“Yoong Jeonghang?” Chan, who was playing on his shoulders, started adorably repeating after his father but with every syllable ending with ‘ng’ sound.

“What’s that? I wasn’t listening.” Myungho looked up from his laptop.

“You said his name was Yoon Jeonghan, right?” He answered rather absentmindedly.

“Eo, why are- Wait, you met him?! He’s back?!” The Chinese man started yelling like a fool, “Whoa, I’m sorry I didn’t believe you when you said you would be able to find him with just his scent.”

“Jeez, could you stop rapping and calm down for a sec?” He hissed. “What happened is, I came across someone who claimed to be his friend today.”

“His friend? Who?” The younger was getting curious at who this person was.

“Well…” He paused as if thinking. “I forgot to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter