Chapter XIX

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You shouldn’t have had to buy this. Really unnecessary.”

Jeonghan observed the other who’d gone ahead of him down the sidewalk and again shook his head. “Considering how much you say that, I wonder how many times you really mean it.”

“I mean it every time, what do you mean…” Seungcheol insisted unabashed without even looking back. “Utterly unnecessary.”

When Jeonghan told him he had…a surprise waiting for him in the hall, Seungcheol didn’t expect it to be a stroller—something he never realized he needed and strictly sticking to facts, he still didn’t. But technology and convenience was around for a reason. Made things easier. Made people lazy too. Still and all, he was gonna have to embrace this laziness.

Flexibility was the key to anything, relationships included, was his excuse.

“Why didn’t you say anything earlier? This is amazing!” he had to holler back now after another race versus the wind down the path, Chan giggling in its wake. Seungcheol resolved to slow down a bit after finally acknowledging the gap between them to be too great.

“It’s called a surprise for a reason,” Jeonghan took his leisure time to catch up. “I’d also like it to…be my zero milestone as a parent. Thought I should start by this…being involved in his life. Glad you like it.”

“No, be glad he likes it.” To make his point Seungcheol stood on tiptoes to gauge down the front of the stroller where fully-rested Chan’s face was more dazzling than the summer’s sun itself hiding behind clouds at the moment.

“All right, my bad,” Jeonghan amended too easily, taking the other’s elbow.

That was when Seungcheol turned to shoot him a grin close to childish. “Pay up!”

Jeonghan shot a perplexed look at him for a second before it hit him. “…But that’s different!”

“You know, maybe this is only making us stingier over kisses,” surprisingly Seungcheol deflected eloquently instead of kicking up a fuss, carrying on in musing tone while pushing the stroller forward alongside appreciating today’s clear sky. “I mean they’re just kisses—something other couples plausibly don’t even-”

This second time being stolen a kiss, he almost called the other out for it because of how unwarranted it was, but realized he had been the one talking about kisses himself.

“—but kiss me anyway I guess,” he finished lamely with a chuckle. As if being rendered speechless (against his will) was not enough, he had to try being least conscious of the following bodyguards because surely some if not all of them must be having a hard time keeping themselves from cringing. Was that in the bodyguard job’s description, he wondered. No reactions allowed?

Well, he’d try get used to having them around because the sooner he did, the better.

Alas the cause of this shared awkwardness everyone was struggling to hide remained completely unbothered by it all. It must be good to be Yoon Jeonghan.

 

-

 

“Initially I was thinking about getting a baby carriage—you know the ones where the babies get to face us?”

Jeonghan would not stop fretting about it. Even amid beating up avocado.

“But then I think again and like, Chan’s rather the type to enjoy the views. He doesn’t even cry that much so it’s probably better to—”

“Hey hey, it’s okay,” Seungcheol didn’t know touching the younger’s thigh would be a good idea. Apparently he was wrong. The only thing was the now Jeonghan who was sitting crossed legged beside him with his hold too firm on the fork looked like he would beat Seungcheol instead. At least it got him to stop worrying didn’t it? “This is perfect. I like it. Chanie likes it. That’s all that matters. End of discussion,” Seungcheol made sure that left no room for doubt, waiting a bit before he added a little more playfully. “I see we aren’t capable of changing everything, eh?”

“Tease me another word, and no snacks for you.”

“Beaten avocado? I’d pass. Only Chanie likes that anyway,” Seungcheol laughed, but then went on to say. “Hey don’t take this the wrong way but, you think you need help—like professional help? Anxiety therapy maybe? Because I don’t think you can attend those I don’t know what meetings that are to come like that.”

“Are you speaking as a medical practitioner or…?” Jeonghan’s belated reciprocated teasing tone was watered down at the other’s reaction—or lack thereof. He resumed the beating. “But maybe, yeah.”

“I could look that up for you, but don’t get your hopes too high up. I’m afraid I don’t have much connections with the psychology business in England.”

“Oh like hell I would.”

If Seungcheol hadn’t known Yoon Jeonghan, he’d think the other was being serious. Good thing that wasn’t the case. Really the best thing.

 

-

 

“What’d you say if I were to ask you, right now, to be Chan’s other dad?”

Prior to voicing that out, of course Seungcheol had braced himself expecting the best and the worst, all of it but for Jeonghan to downright scowl.

“…And you had the nerve to criticize my proposal when yours sure was just as lame?”

Oh now he got why. But he also had dignity to protect. “Lame? At least I do mine personally! That should ace the sincerity score.”

“Judging from your unabated retaliation, I guess you didn’t have any expectation for my answer whatsoever?” Jeonghan shifted to cross his arms. Well that’s bad.

“Sorry honey, you were saying?” Seungcheol dug up his best-behavior smile.

Jeonghan’s contemplating seemed to stretch on forever, until it didn’t. “My sentiment will only last two years, no more no less,” said the younger with a grin he couldn’t quite hide.

“So that’s a yes?”

Jeonghan blinked. “If you need more time-”

“No, that’s more than enough. Thank you, just—” Seungcheol knew he sounded stupid saying that, but he was really at a loss for words he thought it was better than saying nothing at all. “Thank you.”

“…Suddenly I feel really bad,” Jeonghan sighed, hands instantly securing the older in an embrace.

Seungcheol shook his head that was currently secured in the crook of the younger’s neck, which turned out to be akin to nuzzling. “The apology is mine. For I keep making you wait more.”

“A little bit more that’s worth forever, I think I’ll take that.”

They stayed like that for a long time, Jeonghan rubbing soothing circles and Seungcheol taking in the scent he would be missing for the next two years, max.

“Are you really just gonna end this with a hug?” Jeonghan finally asked, tone less gentle than before.

“Well, what do you suggest-” Seungcheol realized pulling away from the hug would mean advantage for the younger after something had, albeit fleetingly, warmed his lips.

The culprit looked nothing short of mischievous. “That but tenfold.”

“We did enough of that yesterday. Come on, you don’t wanna be late for- Jeonghan-ah.” Don’t blame him for whining when Jeonghan put a freaking leg between his.

“Seungcheol-ah.”

He was sure Jeonghan was mocking him. “I won’t even try to understand how you turned out such a dork.”

Seungcheol meant to shake his head but Jeonghan had already planted another kiss on his lips as soon as he finished, eyes as always like that of a doe. “Good, because, just kiss me already.”

There was no way a guy as whipped as Choi Seungcheol would not. He did that thinking:

A little more that’s worth forever, he too would take that any day.

 

-

 

That felt like two years ago, when in fact it had only been eleven months. Eleven months since the unanticipated announcement of the change of hands in YnJ Incorporation and, well, six days short of eleven months since Jeonghan took the flight back to Brighton alone. Well, if taken the press people who seemed to be everywhere into the equation, by himself would be a more accurate way to put it.

In Seungcheol’s case, he’d got a few following him around himself. He could pretend he didn’t mind them, but the difficult part was Chan. Poor baby having been raised in the delicate hands of mothers in the Neonatal Unit and the nurses was scared of flashes and just commotion in general. And Seungcheol couldn’t blame him.

Fortunately the situation abated after a few days, or else charges might’ve been made against some entertainment companies, by a father whose patience was running thin.

At least things were settled now, more or less. Nine hours weren’t too bad a time difference. Imagine if they had started a branch in the states. So Seungcheol was ever thankful for that.

As Myungho had pointed out, he wasn’t aware how big a deal it was to have saved a CEO’s wife. Well, he still wasn’t. He liked to believe that his decision would’ve been anyone’s were they to be put in the same situation.

It was quite funny now that he thought about it, how he and Jeonghan would have stayed as brothers – twins – had Ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter