Chapter VII

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan who ended up hurting his because of the unannouncedly-coming-up little evil was now being stationed on a wood dining chair by the person who shouted in horror when the blonde fell onto the ground as known as Seungcheol.

“Stubborn,” muttered the older as he examined the worsened injury. Although the younger felt he was wrongly accused, he couldn’t take the blame on little Seungkwan either – the toddler was just too cute and too innocent. “What was that I told you?”

Upon hearing that commanding tone, Jeonghan was kind of scared however, he also felt reassured and secured by how strong and reliable it sounded, like the other would always be there for him – whenever or wherever it was, whatever it took. He remorsefully looked down, “I’m sorry. I should’ve stay there.”

“Is it painful?” The sudden change of his tone made Jeonghan lift his gaze up. “There shouldn’t be such bruise on such beautiful leg…so why would you hurt yourself again?” His voice was so soft Jeonghan knew neither how to feel about his leg being called beautiful nor how to reply. They remained quiet as Jeonghan dived deeply in his own thoughts and Seungcheol gently rebandaged the more swollen and reddened ankle.

Hyung-ah, if you were still here, how great would it be? You would be doing the same thing as Seungcheol, right? Jeonghan’s eyes glued at the person in front of him, his sleek black hair, his fair skin, his blooming lips.

“Better not twist it thrice.”

Hyung-ah, if you are still alive, where in this world are you now?

“Do you hurt anywhere else?”

Hyung-ah, bogo sipda…

“Hmm?” He looked up.

Neomu, neomu bogo sipda…

“Jeonghan?” A rough hand was placed on a soft, bony one resting on the knee.

“Huh?” The blonde finally broke his stare, coming back to his sense.

“I asked whether you hurt anywhere else?” Seungcheol said again with more concern.

“Not really, my back and bottom would get better themselves.”

“Are you sure you wish to stay? Like I said, we could go to the-”

“I’m fine, Cheol.” Jeonghan placed his other hand above their overlapped ones. “It’s already very generous of you all to let me stay here, which I gladly do. And I don’t wanna be more burdensome.”

“What burden? You’re-”

“Cheol.” He gave a reassuring smile.

“……Okay. Let me see, can you walk?”

Seungcheol helped him up and Jeonghan carefully made a step on his own. Successful with the first one, he intended to make another one however, his haunch unexpectedly ached and he was heading to the ground, “whoa!” If not for a pair of strong arms that caught him just in time.

…These dark, bulky orbs… It was Seungcheol… They were staring…too…close.

The other slowly closed the space between their faces and Jeonghan squeezed his eyes shut when he felt the warm breath and-

“Dinner’s ready!” Seokmin running into the room got them separated immediately – Jeonghan almost fell again. The boy gave a look to the two awkwardly-coughing adults.

“S-Seokmin-ah. Got it, um,” his brain hardly found any words, “Hanie, you stay here while I go help in the kitchen, okay?”

“Okay…” Being left alone again, Jeonghan blinked to regain his consciousness.

Yoon Jeonghan, get a hold of your ing sense!

Wait, is it Hanie or Honey?

And…what was he doing?

 

-

 

Dinner time had always been sour to Jeonghan for he used to eat alone both in the hospital room and at home – of course his father was too preoccupied with his work, and his mother was sometimes being her party-animal self. Come to think of it, now that Jeonghan got to live on his own, he also found himself too obsessed with studying and stuffs to care for a proper meal, or to have a meal, even!

But today was different. The scent of something very palatable got in his nostril before the food itself even appeared. And when it did, the blonde wasn’t disappointed by its savor. In Sister Ra’s hands was soybean paste stew in the big pot he had seen before, in Seungcheol’s was a large bowl filled with kimchi fried rice which seemed to be able to serve one whole village – maybe that was a bit too exaggerated. And there were Jisoo carrying plates and little bowls, Jinah and Sooyoung’s handfuls of spoons and chopsticks, and Seokmin and Seungkwan’s little hands holding glasses of water. Everything was new to Jeonghan but he liked the vibe it was giving – homely but homey, simple yet comfortable.

When all was set, they began the meal with Mother Ryu who Jeonghan had just met for first time but already took a liking toward her sweet personality, as she was the oldest, took a sip of the stew and smiled kindly.

“Jal meog-gess-seubnida!” The children then dug in their own bowls. Jeonghan, with Seokmin on his left, sat across Seungcheol who was helping Seungkwan on his right with the chopsticks.

The kids looked utterly happy; some were engrossed in which conversation the blonde would make no attempt to understand, some were laughing heartily that they almost choked on their food, and some were just refilling their bowls for the nth times that evening. Amusingly watching, he felt warmth pouring all over his heart. They didn’t need much.

People most likely demanded for influence and opulence, but would success and money really make you happy? Jeonghan wasn’t sure about that. He wasn’t sure he could live with the ones he didn’t love. He wasn’t sure he could live with the ones he loved no longer in this world. He wasn’t sure he could live, doing things he didn’t have a single passion for. Even the pariah could find happiness in their lives with a little money and their families – they really didn’t need much. So, why couldn’t he? Why he had to be what and who his parents wanted him to-

“Jeonghan.”

“Huh?” Registering the gentle voice, he blinked.

“You’re spacing out again. You alright?” The younger even spilled a tear on his right mild cheek, how could anyone not worry?

“Yeah, just thinking.” He quickly wiped away the tear, biting his lips.

The black-haired looked him in the eye. “Don’t think too much…”

“…I won’t.” He replied with a soft smile.

Mother watched them carefully.

 

-

 

“So, you really stay here for tonight?” Washing the dishes, Seungcheol said to Jeonghan who sat on the kitchen counter, his legs hung down comfortably, drying up the washed ones. The latter hummed in reply.

“What were you thinking during dinner?” He let out an inquiry.

The blonde couldn’t think of the proper answer, “just…stuff.”

“What about before dinner?” He asked again.

After long discussion in his mind, he decided to be frank, “…my hyung...you…reminded me of him. You really did.”

“…” Done with the washing, Seungcheol waited for the other to continue.

“As you’d knew, we parted at the very young age.” He leaned his back on the aged wood wall, looking through the large door frame to the other room in which the children were, running about and chasing each other noisily yet merrily – the scene distressed him even more. “We didn’t spend much time together as I never left the hospital till the age of eight, even so, I still want to see him again – just once is enough – but looks like gods really hate me.” A sneer was obvious in his shaky tone.

“Why?”

“I don’t even know whether he is, or even he is still alive or not…”

“…Well, I believe he’s still out there somewhere.” The black-haired shifted rightward so that the blonde was face to face to him, trying to look the younger in the eye.

“I hope so,” the long-haired exhaled, still avoiding those big dark orbs. “According to my nursemaid, he was such an obedient, healthy boy. And everyone loved him for his politeness and cheerfulness. So, I think maybe, maybe…” Keeping his head down, he couldn’t hold it back anymore and went to pieces.

Seungcheol swiftly took him into his tight embrace, stoking his back soothingly. “Shh. It’s okay. Don’t cry.”

“…may- maybe…the one who should’ve been taken…s- should be…”

“Shh, don’t be like this. Please say no more.” I know. And it ing hurts me to see you cry, your tears.

Clutching harder onto the black sweatshirt, the younger buried his face deeper on the secure shoulder.

 

-

 

Seungcheol let the other cry until he swooned. After carrying him upstairs and tucking him in his used-to-be bed, the black-haired sat down next to the lying figure, tear stains were still presenting on his cheeks and his lips were dry. The older slowly raised his hand and brought it to gently tuck away the younger’s strands of hair that covered his face which was still breathtakingly yet effortlessly beautiful despite the stains of tear.

“Oppa.”

He turned and met with the little girl, holding her favorite stuffed-bunny, at the door frame. “Sofia-ah?”

“I…dreamt of a ghost. Could you please lull me to bed?” She asked appealingly, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“Of course, sweetie.” He stood, not forgetting to steal the last glance at the blonde, and they came hand in hand to the children bedroom. Most of them had gone to their dreamland, so Seungcheol walked in quietly and tucked the girl in.

“Oppa.” The girl said when it was halfway of the Frozen story.

“Hmm?” He put the book down and fondled the girl’s jowl.

“Are you still tired?”

“What do you mean by still tired?”

“You look better than the last time you visited, but not that good.”

“I do?” Ruffling her hair, he planted a soft kiss on the girl’s forehead and continued the story.

After she had drowsed peacefully and Seungcheol had flipped over the last page of Frozen, he slowly poised himself from the bed and put the book in place. Apart from the sound of light breathing and soft snores, the room was silent. Seungcheol walked pass each bed, lips curved up at the curling bodies. When he reached the outlet, Mother Ryu was there.

“Mother.” He carefully closed the door.

“Cheol, could you give me a minute?” He nodded and she led them to the corridor.

After getting her a chair, the man sat down the slightly cold floor and rested his head endearingly on her scraggy knees. “What is it, Mother?”

“That boy – Jeonghan, right?” He nodded with glittering eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter