Chapter X

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Now that you have introduced me to your parents. I’ll introduce you to mine.”

“…W-what was that supposed to mean?”

“It means…” I like you “...what it means.” Junhui faked a simper.

Although his imagination went as farthest as one’s mind could, Minghao disguised a confused naïve reaction to hide his flaming cheeks, “you’re being strange,” before got his arm out of the other’s seize and stood up. “Aren’t you cold? Gaja, the kids must be up by now.”

The younger not seeming to understand what he had implied hurt him a little. “You go first. I’m gonna chill for a bit more.” He watched as the other’s back disappeared behind the brick wall.

And his first confession ended like that. Weeks passed and they hadn’t mentioned that talk again, pretending like it never happened.

 

-

 

Getting the best of the best treatment, his father got better sooner than expected and now was permitted to go home under his mother’s super attentive eyes. Time flew and spring was coming as well as the tests.

“Junhui, why are you here alone? Ne namchin eodiseo?” The blonde threw a question at the lone-eating dentistry student, placed his food and sat down.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” Jun gave him a killing grumpy look.

“What can I think? You said you confessed to him, but you never told me the result.” The older opposed.

“Hyung, you’re too clueless in this matter.” He said in high miserable tone, gesturing his index finger along.

Jeonghan waved in surrender. “Eo, eo, I accept I’m the worst at this. So, what happened?”

The brown-haired sighed. “Hyung, please bear this in mind; if someone doesn’t answer this kind of question, it means he’s been rejected!”

He sipped his orange juice indifferently. “He said no?”

“Well, actually…he did say nothing.”

“And you interpreted he rejected you? How funny and hopeless you are, Moon Joonhwi.” He chuckled. “Do you guys still talk?”

“We do, but never about that subject.” Jun sighed again.

“So, why are you alone if you two aren’t avoiding each other?”

He took a spoonful bite. “Maybe he’s busy running errands in some ward, I think… You know the medics, they are as busy as bees when exams are near.”

“Right.” The blonde shrugged. “…Has Minghao said anything about Seungcheol?”

“Ani, wae?” His brow raised.

“You know my mother told us not to meet, so we have not.”

“Whoa, how obedient you are, good-son hyung.” The younger mimicked his earlier tease.

Then the younger’s phone buzzed due to a message sent. It was from his wished-to-be boyfriend. Are you free after the tests? Let’s meet your parent. His eyes became bigger and bigger as he read the message over and over again.

“Jun, what’s wrong?” The older casted a worried look.

His hands were shaking. Fireworks in his stomach was going off. “H-Han hyung…”

“Mwo?”

“Minghao he……”

“He has just said yes?”

“He asked when we will visit my parent!” He couldn’t stop grinning from ear to ear.

“So, what? Does that mean a yes?” The blonde was confused, giving a weird smile.

If it doesn’t, would I be this happy?! He sighed again of again at his too-naïve hyung, deciding to just let him be, and continued to eat.

 

-

 

“Cheol hyung, why haven’t you told me earlier?” The Chinese boy immediately searched for him after hearing the shocking news.

“That volunteer?” Seungcheol, not leaving his gaze from the computer, nonchalantly answered. “Mianhae, I forgot. Now you know it.”

“But I heard there is-”

“We’re gonna be at the other side of the country. I’ll be just fine.”

“Then let me go with you.”

He finally faced the younger. “Hao-ah, you know you should be here, taking care of the others.”

“…”

Seungcheol put his hand on the other’s shoulder. “Geogjeong hajima, I won’t be gone long. Just a week or so.”

“And you know I will miss you a lot, everybody will.” The boy pouted.

“I do.” The older beamed. “So, I plan on visiting them before I leave, after the tests.”

 

-

 

Am I a good son? I don’t think so… A thought that came to the blonde as he watched the countryside-heading train’s scenery; from urbans to suburbs, from towns to villages, from tall buildings to open fields, from asphalt to bumpy roads, from polluted to fresh air. It was another sunny day and the temperature was just right for him. Maybe he would confront with that person, maybe he wouldn’t; Jeonghan didn’t plan to stay long anyway, so that his mother wouldn’t find out about this visit.

There were some people praying in the church, Jeonghan joined them for a while before he went out for the kids but could find none of them. He just somehow saw Mother knitting cozily on the rocking chair in one spacious room with a fireplace.

“Mother Ryu.”

“Who are you, dear?” She searched for her spectacles which lying on the table beside her.

“It’s Jeonghan, Mother.” He picked them up for her.

“Oh, Yoon sweetie, sit first.” She gestured another chair on the other side of the table on which the younger hesitatingly sat. “What brings you here, hmm?” She clasped their bony hands together though hers were a lot more wrinkled.

“I just want to pay you and everyone a brief visit since it’s been almost two months, that’s all.”

“The Sisters take them on a trip to the zoo today. They will be back in the evening.”

“Oh, I see… Hope they are having fun. Looks like I will get to see them next time.”

“Are you in need to return to the college?”

“No, the holidays have just started. Just…my mother wouldn’t be too happy about my visit.” He smiled tight-lipped.

Mother watched him dearly. “…Can I ask you something, dear?”

“Anything.” Jeonghan squeezed their hands.

“Has Seungcheol told you?”

“What about him? Is he in pain?” His face went pale in panic.

He hasn’t? “A-ani, it’s not like that. He’s still well.”

“So, what about him?” The blonde calmed his paranoid mind and asked again.

“He came here too.”

“Huh?” A blink.

 

-

 

The yard was now full of grass and flowers, and the wood also went back to its color state with leaves, blossoms, produces, and sprouts. Everything was so beautiful, fresh and pure, and Jeonghan liked it. It was then when he felt something approaching behind him really fast that he only had time to turn around and his eyes shut in reflex.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.”

This voice? Seungcheol? Warm breath? Cheolie? Jeonghan half-heartedly opened his eyes to verify his prediction.

“I could’ve hit you. Why were you hiding behind the bush like that? Don’t you know how drastic a horse hit can be?!”

The younger was startled by a sudden shout that he backed up a little. “I-I’m sorry. But I wasn’t hiding though…I was just…looking at the flowers…”

The older’s expression immediately changed from the upset one to the guilty one, for the other looked so afraid and frail. He got down from the horse, “um, I didn’t mean to yell at you. I’m sorry. I was too worked up.” Because if anything happens to you, I won’t be able to forgive myself. Never. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

The blonde looked up. “I-I’m alright. I’m sorry, too, I won’t do that again.”

Seungcheol sighed. “Why are you here by the way?”

His hands found their way to the horse’s cheeks. “I come to see the kids but looks like they aren’t here. I almost went back but then met Mother Ryu.” The blonde then rested their foreheads together. “I wish I could go for a ride…”

“Do you know how to ride?” The younger adorably shook his head. “Shall I teach you?”

“It’s okay if I ride him?” He hesitated because, from what he had heard, riding a young, untrained or unfamiliar horse could result in a bad way more than a good one.

“Don’t worry, Cheolie is already fourteen and he’s very cooperative. Right, buddy?” Seungcheol cooed with the stallion and it neighed back. “Okay, let’s start with mounting. I will show you first.” Seungcheol made going up and down that height seem as easy as pie. Jeonghan could only watch in awe. “Your turn.”

When, after some struggles and help from Seungcheol, he was able to get himself on the horse’s back, Jeonghan secretly let out a relieved sigh which the older heard but didn’t say anything. The good sides of horse riding – freedom and odd relaxation – were proved to be true as well as the bad sides; for someone as chicken as Jeonghan, being on something high and rather unstable kind of wasn’t his thing – what if he upset the horse that it unannouncedly send him to kiss the ground? He was too afraid to move even an inch but also didn’t want to let down the black-haired who seemed to be very glad and passionate in teaching him. Therefore, he suppressed his fear, gripped tightly onto the rein, and sat stiff that sweats were creeping down his hairline.

Seungcheol who was leading obliquely front noticed and turned to ask in concern. “Gwaenchana?”

“E-eo.” He cleared his throat.

“Then why are you sitting like a stiff? Relax.” Jeonghan adjusted his position but it didn’t look any better in the older’s eyes as the blonde seemed to be shaking. “Do you wanna call it a day? We can-”

“Aniya, aniya.” He answered too quickly. “I love the wind up here.”

“…” The older stopped walking, and looked like Cheolie had been well-trained for it stopped as well.

“What’s wrong?” He was confused as the older approached them.

“Do you really want to go for a ride?”

“Yeah…” Upon hearing that, the other got on the horse’s back behind Jeonghan who now was too afraid to move even a single centimeter! His face went on flame and his heart forgot its role for a while – never had he expected a typical romantic scene in a historical drama would happen in real life. Seungcheol then gently occupied the rein from the back, encircling the younger completely. This embrace…so secured and strong…and so familiar? Why is it familiar? The blonde who was lost in his own world soon found his voice again. “W-what are you doing?”

“Didn’t you say you want a ride?” His delicate breath and his tender guttural voice were so close that the long-haired wouldn’t dare turn his head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter