Chapter V

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After he took a shower, Jeonghan went downstairs. Today, he woke up with the fresher mood. But it quickly vanished when he stepped into the dining room.

“Daeun ssi, what are you doing here?” His eyes were in double size.

The girl stood up with her bright signature smile. “I just heard this morning that you’re not feeling well, so I want to pay a visit. Here, my parents also sent you some fruit.”

Taking a big fruit basket from her hands, Jeonghan sent a quick stare at Junhui who sat across the table.

Shaking his head swiftly, Jun gesticulated. ‘I did tell her nothing. It’s not me!’

His mother then appeared from the kitchen. “Daeun-nah… Junhui? You’re here early.” Now Jeonghan knew who told the girl. “Oh, Hanie, you’re up already? Daeun was about to bring your breakfast upstairs. Good enough, let’s have breakfast altogether, then.”

“Good idea, eomma-nim,” beamed the lass.

Rolling his eyes, Jeonghan knew this wouldn’t end much to his liking – but his mother, of course.

 

-

 

“Has your academic year started?”

Sitting beside Jeonghan, Daeun mildly answered. “Not yet, eomma-nim. It’ll start next week.”

“It’s your last year, isn’t it? And you’ll soon finish your degree. Look at our Hanie, he still has years to go.” His mother smiled tendentiously. “But don’t you worry, we’ll be having a wedding not so long after your graduation.”

“What?” Jeonghan snapped. The girl was surprised with a sudden announcement, too.

“Jeonghan honey, I know for a fact that lots in your class are engaged as well, and you’ll soon be twenty-five so why not a wedding?” She then gave the girl a soft smile. “Daeun sure can wait and raise my grandchildren at home while you’re in your last years.” The grandchild part made both faces went red – one with shyness but the other with embarrassment.

“Eomma, please…” The blonde groaned.

“Okay, okay. You can take it easy,” Jeonghan was about to let out a relieved sigh but couldn’t, “how about a grandchild after you graduate?” He rolled his eyes again. When will his mother stop being embarrassing? “What do you think, Daeun-nah?”

“Uh, I’ll inform my parents first and convey you their opinions. But, um, I think… the wedding can wait, maybe after Jeonghan ssi’s graduation?” Still, she couldn’t get rid of the redness on her face. Any other men might find that cute but not Jeonghan who, instead, found that pitiful.

“Is that so? You’ll have long time waiting, then.”

“It’s okay, eomma-nim. And I do not want to rush things, too.” Daeun sure knew how to reassure people with her bright smile.

“Eomma-nim, look at me, I’m not even engaged,” supported Junhui. “I think Jeonghan wants to enjoy his youth. Please give him some more time.”

“You too, Junhui. I don’t understand why your mother hasn’t gotten you a betrothed yet,” sighed his mother, “or that you find yourself some girls.” Jeonghan snickered.

“I- I’ll definitely find myself someone, eomma-nim. Don’t worry!” Jun almost yelled.

“You better hurry or I’ll do that for you.” This time Jeonghan couldn’t hold it anymore and choked on the food. His mother is really something…

“I’ll go back to the dorm, then.” He stood up from the dining table.

“Han-nah? It’s Sunday.” His mother looked rather disappointed. “What about your health?”

“I’ll be okay, eomma.” He thought of more excuse, “and I still have some work to do.”

“Then, let me go with you,” stood the girl.

“It’s all right, Daeun ssi. Jun can walk m-”

“Good idea, Daeun-nah. Please take good care of him,” Jun grinned pleasingly while his mother’s face showed not much difference.

This brat, really… He’s gotta kill him someday. Thought Jeonghan to himself.

 

-

 

The walk was too quiet that made it awkward, so Jeonghan said, “thank you for taking my side this morning.” She suddenly looked up – perhaps from her musing.

“No need to thank me. I agree it’s too early and we’re not ready either.” She meant the distance between them.

Jeonghan was considering whether he should ask it or not, but he spat it out at last. “Why did you call me oppa, back then?”

“Huh?” Although Daeun knew Jeonghan wasn’t interested in her from the very start – not even one bit as all the engagement was their parents’ arrangement – she never thought he would be this blunt.

“You never called me that, why that day?”

“Wh- What’s wrong with that? Can’t I call you oppa?”

“You’re acting strange.” He furrowed his brows, trying to grit. “Did my mother tell you something?”

“What do you mean, Jeonghan ssi?” He could feel irritation and pique in her voice. “How does it have anything to do with your mother? Oh, so that’s what you think of me, right? Your mother’s dummy?”

“Please calm down. I apologize if that offended you. But I just want to-”

“Han?” What now? Seungcheol?!

“Seungcheol ssi! We meet again.” The girl covered up her expression quickly. “And this is…” Her hand indicated the cute boy beside him.

“Seo Myungho, I’m his dongsaeng.” The Chinese boy bowed.

“I’m Oh Daeun, Jeonghan’s betrothed.” She bowed back. “To be honest, if you didn’t mention, I wouldn’t know you are siblings. You two look… quite different.” The two piercingly felt apprehension ran down their spines. “Anyway, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“I didn’t know hyung’s engaged,” Minghao changed the topic to avoid any further suspect of them being siblings. “Wish you two happiness,” he gave them a sincere smile.

“Thank you,” the girl’s eyes twinkled with joy. “Um, I don’t mean to be rude but… how old are you?”

“Twenty-three, am I right?” The girl was bewildered the answer came from the person next to her.

“Ye- yes. Hyung told you about me?” Jeonghan nodded, glimpsing at Seungcheol.

“Wow, we’re at the same age. Can I call you just Myungho?” She beamed more.

“As you wish.”

Perhaps the girl didn’t notice or she didn’t mind, but Jeonghan couldn’t stop thinking about the last names the siblings didn’t share. ‘Choi Seungcheol and Seo Myungho... So, they are half-brothers? Their mother remarried? Or she is a…wh- no, I’d better not presume nor that I should think of a friend’s mother that way. Most importantly, these can’t be sons from that kind of woman, right?’ Maybe or maybe not brainstorming too much made he felt light-headed. Daeun was about to catch him but someone was faster.

“You alright?” Seriousness noticeably carved in both his voice and face.

“I’m fine. Thanks, Cheol.” Jeonghan let go of the man’s grip but not his own racing heartbeat. Damn that god-made face! Why so close…

“Jeonghan ssi, eomma-nim told you to rest for a few days but you didn’t listen.” She huffed but immediately quitted. “Wait, are you having a fever? Why is your face so red?” She was about to put her hand on his forehead, but Jeonghan instinctively got out of it.

“I’m absolutely fine. Let’s part here, I’ll go with them.” Instantly dragging the brothers, he left the poor girl bewildered and alone once again.

 

-

 

“Hey, slow down.” Seungcheol warned, but Jeonghan still marched speedily. “You’ll faint again at this rate.” The older raised his voice. The other did stop after they’d passed the second corner.

“Why did you drag us, hyung? You don’t get along with her? I think she’s very pretty and kind.”

“Let he catch his breath, will you?” Seungcheol whacked his head. “And don’t you know? Good looks and kindness aren’t everything when it comes to love.”

“You’re saying like you’re a love expert which you aren’t. You hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter