Chapter XV

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Cheol.” He felt a hand gently tapping on his right shoulder.

“Cheol, it’s time to wake up.” The sweet voice called again, louder but still gentle.

“Hmm?” The long lashes gradually fluttered as the man stirred in his sleep, his hand groping about the mattress to find a soft complexion. Seungcheol cracked his eyes open as his hand was accompanied with another hand that wasn’t his own.

“Good morning, Cheol.” Jeonghan greeted him with a smile, holding their hands close to his cheeks which felt especially soft under his touch.

“Han-ah.” Seungcheol blinked, his eyes went wet by unwelcomed tears. He had been waiting for this moment for years – waking up to find him and no one else in the morning. And now his heart felt…full? This isn’t a dream, right?

Seungcheol ignored the fact that everything seemed blurry than usual, thinking perhaps that was because of his tears. Jeonghan then succeeded in pulling them up from bed in one try.

“Wait, where’s Chan?” Seungcheol blurted out his soon as he realized the too obvious fact. The younger didn’t answer – didn’t even turn his back – but continuing dragging them towards the room’s door. Something is off.

“Jeonghan, where’s Chan?” He broke their hands before they could reach the door, his head full of questions.

“…Here.” The long-haired finally muttered and twisted his grip on the door knob, pushing the door open, illuminating the white light. The other end was so bright that the older had to promptly squinch his eyes and then he felt like fainting and falling…

 

-

 

“Cheol.” Said a soft voice.

The long lashes gradually fluttered as the man stirred in his sleep, his hand groping about the mattress to find that it was rather empty. The bulky orbs reflexively cracked open in panic.

“Appa?” And there was Chan, sitting and studying his face as if it was the most interesting thing ever. Strange enough, the baby showed no evidence of fussing or tear shedding but even so, Seungcheol was able to calm his heart down a bit because this time the room looked like what it should, everything seemed normal, except one thing. So it was just a dream.

With a small sigh, Seungcheol reached out, causing the blanket which he didn’t notice had been on his back to drop to the floor, and Chan automatically grabbed on his fingers. With the thought of Chan starving, he took the baby into his chest and together they headed out of the teeny bedroom. The kitchen-living room was a little brighter because just parts of the glass door to the small balcony was covered, but still his finger flicked on the light switching on their way to the fridge so that he could read the clock hanging on one of the walls clearly.

I woke up to his voice. Chan wasn’t there so I asked. He didn’t answer and didn’t even seem to mind. What does that mean? …What if he just pretends to like Chan but actually doesn’t?

His head started recalling scenes from earlier until his grip was on the handle, his eyes meeting a Post-it stuck on the fridge door with a brief massage read:

Chan was fed. Need to check on my mom.

-Yours-

Despite currently questioning the younger’s actual thought, his heart undeniably melted at the word ‘yours’, like who wouldn’t?

He stuck the yellow paper back on the metal surface before starting cooing away, “Aw, is that why my baby didn’t cry earlier? What did Han feed you?” Of course, Seungcheol didn’t expect any helpful answer from a one-year-old when all answers he got was ‘yebbeun’.

“Yebbeun!” Chan cried again with more enthusiasm and his finger pointing behind, making Seungcheol turn in curiosity. And there was Jeonghan who just finished thudding a bag onto the floor.

“Han-ah? I thought you left to see your mom.” The older started before the younger could.

“I did, um, she’s okay.” The long-haired seemed hesitated answering.

“That’s good to hear. But even so, you should’ve stayed longer.” Seungcheol said with slight criticism.

Both adults fell into silence before the younger mumbled. “I’m sorry for what happened.”

“Y-you knew? She told you?” His hold on Chan involuntarily tightened.

“Doesn’t matter. But I apologize for what she did.”

“Well then, what I want to hear isn’t an apology but an explanation, why she did-”

“Don’t. Worry.” The long-haired cut him off easily. He tried to hold his breath and hand still and spit all out in one go. “It was just the side effect from her medication. Ah…I’m craving some Tteokbokki. Shall we go to that Tteokbokki place?”

Seungcheol knew it wasn’t just ‘the side effect’ but didn’t comment anything, instead just followed the younger who didn’t wait for any kind of response and had marched out ahead. His perplexed mind was left with the last thought of:

If that’s the case, even if it’s him…no, I couldn’t imagine any picture without Chan.

But I guess we’ll see…

 

-

 

Jeonghan placed some orders for them that the older didn’t really pay attention to. The younger then seemed to be lost in his own mind, reminiscing the place. Seungcheol the doe eyes darting everywhere but never met his. As soon as their food came, the long-haired just dug in without any word, much to the surprise of the older who decided to just watch one bite after another being taken.

“You really eat well these days, that’s a relief.”

The word almost choked Jeonghan who suddenly remembered that he should be encouraging and making sure that the older eat more, not the other way around. He was just trying to avoid further questions that he had yet to find answers nor that he wanted to but didn’t think it would end him up with eating. Figuring so, a piece of rice cake was forcefully shoved in front of the man. “You should eat too.”

“Nah, I’m good.” Seungcheol was quick to refuse with a small wave.

“Say ah~” Jeonghan demonstrated an ‘ah’ with his mouth, his other hand brought up as support.

“Seeing you eat makes me full.” Seungcheol opted for a cheesy cliché in reliance to get away from the situation.

“Nonsense! Say ah~” Jeonghan twitched his face before trying again his ‘ah’.

Getting more and more attention from others, the older man had no choice but to gradually take that bite with much reluctance and the heavy blush on his cheeks, and Chan giggled at his tight chewing face. The younger looked contented at once, though he continued feeding him one more bite (promised it to be one last bite), and another, and then another, until there was none left and Seungcheol felt stuffed, literally, like he had never ever eaten this much in his life. Two sets of Tteokbokki, man, don’t make him try that again. And they were quite spicy too.

They decided on a short walk along the rather empty quiet street. Seungcheol’s lips were awfully reddish and plump, Jeonghan gulped. “Are you okay?”

“I think that was a bit too spicy. I’m no match with spiciness.” Seungcheol claimed. Agh, even his tongue burns.

Sweat kept rolling down the side of his face and some dropped on Chan that the baby was getting fussy. So Jeonghan made an abrupt stop to wipe the sweat off with both hands. “Oh, I’m so sorry. I forgot you couldn’t eat spicy.”

“It’s okay. Let’s continue.”

“Are you sure? You don’t look too good. We can rest-”

That was the swiftest decision in his life.

He didn’t regret it though.

 

-

 

At Jeonghan’s panic eyes, Seungcheol made an attempt to look backward however, before anything else could happen, he felt himself being tossed aside. And it all happened in the slightest bit of second; his back smashed into a trash receptacle sitting not so far away and fell on his buttocks to the ground with a bump; the sides of his eyes still caught a glimpse of Jeonghan being hit by a motorcycle that came out of nowhere, fast; the motorcycle then just disappeared into the next corner, faster; Chan who was secured in his arms didn’t get hurt but started crying because of the jerk; as he held the baby closer to calm him down, his eyes were met with the most horrific sight.

His legs felt strengthless, but he couldn’t care less the fact he needed to crawl over. Jeonghan lied motionless, his head on the sidewalk, quite ruddy and scratched to be honest, still breathing. Thank goodness. He let go of Chan and began examining even with shaking hands. Just bruises here and there, nothing broke, okay. Cool off, Choi Seungcheol.

He rested his head on his thigh, brushed away the hair and was about to fish his phone out for any emergency number when the younger started coughing, coming back to his sense. “Is, Chan, okay?” Chan moved closer at the mention of his name to present himself and the man let out a relieved sigh.

Seungcheol could no longer hold back his tears and spilled them all over the other. “Goodness gracious, Yoon Jeonghan! Is this time to care for others?! You just scared me to death!”

“I’m glad I did…” Jeonghan yet managed a faint playful smile on his pale lips.

“Pabo-yah, why did you do that?” His words came out rather as a mumble as he closed the space between them, pressing a kiss on the top of his head and the silky hair. Chan who had been watching the scene in complete silence was later joined in the embrace. “And you know if Chan wasn’t, freaking out would be an understatement.”

“Well, that’s good because I think you were only freaking out just now.” Jeonghan’s chuckle invited more tears from the older that eventually led them into an absolute mess.

Seungcheol finally let go and fished out his phone. He dialed the number swiftly and it was the first ring when he felt a tug on his arm.

“No, not the hospital.”

“Han, you just got hit by a freaking motorcycle!” He shut-whispered back, afraid his voice would go into the call. “I saying you are fine doesn’t mean we shouldn’t check for sure.”

“I know myself I’m fine, I can walk-” The younger tried to win the phone but Seungcheol was quick enough to bring his arm out of reach.

“No, you’re not. And I’m calling the hospital.” Someone finally picked up the call after the forth ring.

“Please, Cheol.” Jeonghan had no other choice as he bit his lips hard it started bleeding.

“…”

‘What’s the emergency?! Hello? Are you still there?’

“…I’m sorry, I mistook the number.” His hang up earned a thankful look from the other. He sighed, “So are you going back home or to your apartment?”

“Not home, it’s become a crime scene.”

The younger said with a straight face like it was the most normal thing ever, which sure wasn’t for Seungcheol. His face twitched. “What?”

“And not any of my apartments. I don’t wanna be alone.” Jeonghan continued with a straight face.

“Um okay, then…?”

“Like I said, ‘I won’t leave.’”

“What do you mean?” His face twitched even more, if that was possible.

 

-

 

“Shouldn’t we report this to the police or something?” After helping the younger into his apartment, Seungcheol settled the younger down on the couch and left to fetch for emergency kit.

“Nah, that’ll only cost us time and useless questions. Neither of us remember even the plate number. And these’ll be just marks in a few weeks, months to say the most.” Jeonghan seemed totally calm.

“What if he comes back again?” Seungcheol tried to reason.

“Nah, he won’t. He hesitated.” The older gave him knitted brows before turning back to the cabinet. Jeonghan continued, “Like when he saw me, I think he changed his mind.”

“What are you trying to say?” Seungcheol kneeled down before him.

“That his target is you, or maybe Chan.” He spared his last word to be extra soft. “Or maybe he just fell for my beauty?”

“That mouth of yours, huh…” Seungcheol sent a dead glare to the one who didn’t know when to play, shaking his head, and went back to preparing the disinfectant.

“Wae~ That could be tru- agh!” The younger yapped when an antiseptic-dipped cotton bud touched a wound on his arm harshly than necessary. “Doesn’t a surgeon ought to be as gentle as a cat touching a cherry?”

“Oops sorry, I’m a pediatric surgeon, so that is reserved for only children.” He stuck his tongue out, not looking at all apologetic.

With those continuing, Jeonghan could only grumble swearing words under his breath because if he did it out loud, a poke would be on his head from the strict dad with a warning of; “don’t swear around a baby” or “language.”

Seungcheol just brought the kit back to its place and turned around to meet an empty space on the couch. He quickly paced into his bedroom to witness Jeonghan, with much struggle because Chan was in his arms but also much determination, climbing upon his bed. Seungcheol immediately blurted, “My one and final opinion is this is not a good idea.”

“If you’re grateful for what I did, let me stay.” The younger slid under the blanket before adjusting the pillows, making himself comfortable.

“I am more than grateful.” Seungcheol said. “But this is just not right, at least for a doctor-”

“Cheol, no need to waste your energy and saliva. Nothing you say is gonna change my mind.” The long-haired cut him off, the baby at his side as he patted his head. “I’ll be fine. And this way, I can watch Chan for you.”

“Don’t make me laugh. How can I let a patient look after a kid? No hell way.” Seungcheol retorted sharply.

“Come on, Cheol~ Those wounds are well taken care of by you. Is there anything else to worry?”

“Your attitude,” He made sure to emphasize his answer. “You don’t want to waste time with police, fine. But not going to hospital? If you’re all right, they’ll just say so, and that’s all there is to hear.”

The younger blew air up his forehead in frustration, “…You have no idea how I hate hospital.”

“Okay, let’s say that I do have no idea. But if you were me, would you not worry?” That put a lid on every counterattack the long-haired had. “Anyway, Sooyoung will soon come over…just for today.”

“I can take care of myself, Cheol.” Jeonghan muttered as his hand grabbed for Seungcheol’s warm one.

“That much I know.” The older put his other hand on top before rubbing and blowing hot air to them. With a grin plastering his lips, the older was about to let go of their hands when Jeonghan suddenly came to something.

“Hold on.” His face frowned, his tone changed to skeptical. “Who is this girl Sooyoung? How did you know her?”

“Jealousy detected.” His grin grew wider as he swiftly made a soft pinch on the small nose. “Looks like someone needs to work on his memory.”

“You won’t be going anywhere until you tell me.” Jeonghan gave him an I’m-not-playing-around glare while still trying to hold onto those hands, but with his strength, the older slip out of it easily.

“I can only tell you that she’s 17.”

Jeonghan scoffed. “A high schooler?! Woah, Choi Seungcheol-”

“Do you not trust me? I feel so hurt.” Seungcheol groaned.

“I do trust you!” His yelp grabbed Chan’s attention but he didn’t bother to care.

“Well, now I don’t trust you.” The older crossed his arms, his eyes shut, his lips a sullen pout.

“You better drop that childish act before my count to three, Cheol.” His glare turned deadly though the older wasn’t able to see it anyway.

“One.”

“…”

“Two.”

“What are you gonna-”

He felt the collar of his shirt being pulled downwards and a second later, the soft lips were on his own. Seungcheol must admit he was dumbfounded, his eyes bigger than saucers.

The younger pulled away before grumbling under his breath with his cheeks flushed pink. “I was just asking and you could’ve just answered…trust me now?”

The raspy voice whispered back that only both of them could hear. “Should I sue you for ual offense, stealing my first kiss?”

“Are you kidding me?” Jeonghan was taken aback, really feeling the need to roll his eyes.

An innocent blink. “About the suing or the kiss?”

“Better remember your first kiss was from an angel and that it wasn’t only you who lost the first kiss.”

“Wow, what an honor.” Seungcheol teasingly chuckled. “As if you were saving it for anyone else. …Were you?”

He said the answer both of them already knew. “…No.”

“See?” The older seemed to think of something else as his expression turned into a disappointed one, but not really in those orbs. “Ah…what a waste of first kisses. I actually didn’t like it that much.”

Jeonghan pretended to be oblivious but his smirk was obvious. “How would you make it better?”

Seungcheol opted to reply with action and went for those lips again, this time with his eyes closed, arms around his own neck. It did last longer until he felt a small tug on his arm that he let go.

“You gu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter