Chapter II

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I will get going now,” Jeonghan swayed his favorite backpack onto his back, walking toward the front door.

“Wait, are you not going with the driver?” His mother instantly snapped up from her sweater-for-son knitting.

“No, today I will take the subway,” ‘by myself for the first time in my life,’ he added bitterly.

“Have you brought the contact lens storage yet?” She reiterated.

‘Here it went again, the same exact reminding every week,’ he thought to himself, indeed feeling the urge to roll his eyes. “Yes,” he turned to face her.

“Glasses case?”

“Checked.”

“The inhaler?”

“Checked.”

“Tacrolimus?”

“Checked.”

“Which type?” She retorted.

“The 0.5-milligram type,” he answered monotonously. “The doctor changed it last time.”

“That’s good news, isn’t it?” He didn’t answer but ignored instead.

“Prednisolone,” continued his too-paranoid mother.

“Already checked.” He added, “twice.”

“Both are keep in the storage?”

“Yes.”

“Any side effect in the last week?”

“A little of tiredness and lightheadedness, just like always.”

“Hmm... maybe I had better tell the doctor to change them again.”

“That’s not necessary, eomma.” He really rolled his eyes this time.

“Of course, it is!”

“I already checked the umbrella, I will really get going then. See you on the weekend,” he cut off and put on his shoes, but not before pecking his mother’s cheek – his usual routine before going out.

“Okay, see you.” She replied, a bit disappointed. Just before she resumed to her knitting that she recalled something. “Did you take Daeun out last Friday?”

“No, I had tests on that day,” muttering, Jeonghan closed the door with a thud.

 

-

 

‘She extremely needs to quit babbling. Like, right this instant!’ He thought annoyingly. ‘How can a mother be this embarrassing? It’s not like he is a ten-year-old kid or something. He is twenty-four now, a twenty-four-year-old grown ! Shouldn’t he be taking care of this by himself? Good thing it is just in the house.’ Stomping his feet into the subway train, Jeonghan felt his frustration boiling in all his already-swollen temple vein.

Next station, Gajwa station.

Tucking a strand of his blonde locks away, he leaned against the cold wall. As his vision slowly became blurry, he heard something – or rather someone – dropping beside him.

“Sir, are you alright?” Hurriedly getting onto his knees, he asked the lying-on-the-floor ahjussi.

“Argh, my… stomach really hurts, my head… too.” Folding his own abdomen, the man could barely reply because of the pain. He was gasping and his face suddenly became swollen – also his hands and legs – and his skin got rashes, making people gathered around them.

Without thinking twice, Jeonghan quickly scooped into the man’s trousers’ pocket. He was looking for some specific things but only found a wallet and a handkerchief. Therefore, he started searching the man’s briefcase lying next to him. A few seconds later, a pill case was in Jeonghan’s hand.

Penicillin – just as what he assumed. Jeonghan also analyzed the other drugs. There were Lincomycin for pelvic inflammation or lower respiratory tract infection, Glycopeptide for skin infection or some diarrhea, Doxycycline for eye infection or periodontitis, even CCB for hypertension!

‘Wow... how could a man take this much antibiotics?’ But before he could utter anything out, the man began to convulse, making Jeonghan anxious and nervous.

Speedily, a pair of hands managed their own way in putting a bun of handkerchief into the man’s mouth. The newcomer – whose face had a sharp nose, two visible dark eyebrows above a pair of double-lid enormous chocolate eyes, and adorable dimples on both of his cheeks when smirking – sat beside Jeonghan, tilting the man to lie on his side. After a minute, the convulsion stopped and the man lost his conscious.

“He has swollen face, hands and legs,” examined the stranger – as Jeonghan had no idea what to call him. “His skin also darkened and has rashes.”

“He said his head and abdomen hurt badly. He previously had shortness of breath before convulsing,” added Jeonghan to avoid awkwardness that only he could felt. ‘Why does he need to be so good-looking? And look at that vein-bulging hands–’

“I got it,” said the stranger, snatching Jeonghan back into reality. “Has he ever had bloody urine or something?”

“I don’t know,” he replied – much to the stranger’s disappointment. “I didn’t get the time to ask anything back then.”

“Well, there is only one way to find out.” Lying him back down before patting his shoulders, the stranger tried to wake the man up. “Ahjussi, do you hear me? Ahjussi…”

After some moments, the man weakly responded, “Ye… yeah.”

“Ahjussi, have you vomited, suffered from diarrhea, or had bubbly or bloody urine lately?” required the stranger.

“Hmm… I usually have diarrhea, so I think it is normal. I vomit after drinking, but don’t most vomit after drinking?” He coughed. “Also, I sometimes feel dizzy and tired easily, and everything tastes foul in my mouth. Are these common?” He coughed again, hardly, splattering around blood this time. People around them gaped and began whispering.

“What about when you urinate?” The stranger specified, ignoring the small amount of blood on both of his hands which shocked Jeonghan who had automatically backed away a bit.

‘If this man really has that vast of infections – predicating from the medicine he takes, he will have high risk of being infected, won’t he? Why– How can he not be afraid?’

Continued the man, “I don’t take a pee frequently – about twice or thrice a day. But recently, its amount lessens and its color darkens. Moreover, I have had hard time urinating.”

“Do you drink often?” Something just clicked in Jeonghan’s mind.

“Around three to four times a week. I get stressed easily because of my job as a personnel officer.”

“I see.”

“In my point of view, you have suffered from kidney failure but didn’t notice it. I recommend you go see a doctor as soon as possible,” concluded the stranger.

“Kidney… failure!?”

“Yes, your usage of Penicillin even made it worse. You may need kidney dialysis as well,” emphasized Jeonghan.

Sinchon station. Doors will open on the left.

“I have an idea,” blurted out the stranger. “Come on, help me get him up,” he commanded. Jeonghan followed nonetheless.

The three got out of the subway station to much difficulty. Even though they could just call the ambulance, the stranger piggybacked the man who scarcely maintained his conscious on his steady back while Jeonghan was carrying all their things. Finally, by the leading of the stranger, they arrived at Yonsei University’s emergency room – much to Jeonghan’s surprise.

‘Is it just a coincidence that they end up at his university or he – the breathtaking stranger – really knows about this?’ Jeonghan doubted.

Walking pass numerous busy doctors, nurses, patients and their relatives, they placed the man down on a bed.

“Hello, where are you sick?” A doctor and a nurse came.

“I think he has kidney failure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter