Chapter III

Falsehood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you know?” Asked Jeonghan.

“Know what?” Retorted Junhui, a dental student and a one-year-younger friend of his. Despite being dawn, they were strolling in Gwanghyewon or the Garden of Yonsei History – one of the most peaceful places in the grand campus.

“Um… medical students. You said you knew some of them.”

“I did?”

“Yeah. If not, at lease I know you have some connection because you are awfully popular among girls from every department in Yonsei.” Jeonghan teased.

“Basically, yes, but not awfully though,” he smirked. “What about the medical students?”

“Do me a favor,” invited a bewildered look from the younger.

 

-

 

“You may go now. Turn left at the corner and you will meet the cashier counter. Don’t forget you shouldn’t use your arm too much,” warned the nurse who had out some of his blood and told Seungcheol to come back in a few days for the result.

“Thank you. Have a good day,” he bowed and exited the room. Today, he came early for a checking which his bossy beloved dongsaeng insisted him to get one. Although Seungcheol didn’t worry too much about that small amount of blood, he concluded that safety (or maybe his dongsaeng) was the priority.

He followed the nurse’s word and showed his student’s ID card to a cashier for claiming his student insurance. After that, he figured he still had some time to spare before his morning class began and should get something to eat as he had been told not to eat anything before the checking, so he decided to take a quick visit to a market nearby the university.

The place was commonly crowded, filled with merchants, goods, and customers – of course. Seungcheol made his way through busy and noisy people to a Tteokbokki kiosk. The inside was very warm and cozy despite the chilly weather of fall. It reminded him of the church he used to spend his childhood and adolescence with, comfortable and safe – felt like his home. He let his mind trailed old memories messily. Then, a thought came into his slothful brain – the memory of the long-haired man he met in the train. At the very first sight, he thought that person was a girl until he heard the person’s voice.

“Choi Seungcheol ssi?” He looked up only to meet with the familiar feature.

 

-

 

a few days before

“I got it.”

“Already?” Jeonghan’s face lit up the way Jun had never seen before even though they had known each other since they could remember – their fathers were comrades and both owned a chaebol company, so the two families often met.

“Yeah, some of my acquaintances study medical. They say he is very popular, for he usually tops the exams – if they got the right person – but he only has few friends,” Jun pause. “Some of them also say he is gay and is taken by that boy Seo Myungho or something…”

Jeonghan was a bit taken aback by the info but replied anyway, “okay, okay. What is his name after all?”

“Seungcheol, Choi Seungcheol.”

 

-

 

“Choi Seungcheol ssi?” Jeonghan was quite worried whether he had greeted the right person because that person seemed to be wholly confused.

“How did you know my name? Am I supposed to know you, too?” The reaction made Jeonghan sweat even more.

Jeonghan rubbed his nape. “Ah… Maybe you don’t recognize me as I haven’t introduced myself yet. My name is Yoon Jeonghan,” he offered his left hand. “We met when I was struggling with the convulsing uncle on the train and suddenly you-”

“Oh, Jeonghan ssi.” The man suddenly stood up, “yeah, I do remember you.” Taking his hand, Seungcheol beamed and motioned the long-haired man to sit down across him. “By the way, are you left-handed or right-handed? Last time, I think I saw…”

“I am an ambidexter,” Jeonghan proved himself by using chopsticks with both hands, inviting a wow from the other. “It is extremely rare to find one among Koreans, isn’t it?”

“In fact, it should be among every nationality.” His correction made Jeonghan snicker.

“These are your orders. Enjoy your meal,” a waitress served and left.

“Do you want to share?” Asked the former kindly.

“I don’t want to be rude, but… but my digestion isn’t very good so…”

“That’s really alright. I mean, it’s not rude at all neither that I mind it.” He grinned.

“Thanks for understanding.” Jeonghan’s face lit up.

They began their meal as well as their further conversation.

Jeonghan was the first to ask. “How old are you? Twenty-three, I guess? Because you say you are in your fourth year.”

“No, I’m already twenty-four. It is such a ridiculous life that I’m in the same academic year as my dongsaeng.”

“We’re friends, then? I’m also twenty-four.”

“Hmm… really?” He raised his eyebrow. “I thought you said you were in your fourth year, too.”

“I had a surgery back when I was eighteen, so I needed one year of recovery.”

“I could see that you have been through a lot, for you ended up accepted by Yonsei university,” admiration could be seen on the black-haired man’s face.

“Not really. But thanks anyway.” There was comfortable silence before the blonde continued, “why are you also a year late?” He took another bite.

“I came from a poor family.” That wasn’t completely a lie but, how could you tell anyone that you’re an orphan, right? “So, I needed to study hard while do part-time jobs to earn money for my tuition. It cost me a year to finally be able to get into the medical school, not like one of my dongsaengs Myungho who got in there by his first try.”

“I could see that you yourself have been through a lot, too.” Although he was smiling, Jeonghan could feel sarcasm etching the inside of Seungcheol, making the blonde felt pathetic for him. Wait, why is that name so familiar? Myungho, Myungho…

 

-

 

Junhui was rushing – since he was nearly late for his morning lecture class – when he heavily crashed into someone walking pass that the person fell onto the ground with a pang.

“Sorry. I’m in a hurry that I didn’t see you coming,” Junhui helped the other collect his things before resumed to his hustling. “Please don’t sue me! I’m really sorry.”

‘What’s wrong with him though…’ Minghao scratched his temple confusedly while watching the taller disappearing into the crowd.

 

-

 

Seungcheol could see disfavor displaying on the younger from the distance. “Hey, what’s with that face of yours, huh?” He teased, hoping to brighten up the grumpy boy.

“Some moron bumped me this morning.” The younger didn’t seem to feel any better.

“And?” A brow was raised.

“I was about to kick him back when he told me not to sue him – I was like seriously? Is he pretending to be an idiot or is he really one? Who would sue anyone that just bump them?”

“The rich are like this – all about money and law,” remarked the black-haired man.

“But he doesn’t seem so bad after all, more like a frightful kitten.” The younger shrugged.

“Is that so?” Seungcheol got more interested because Minghao wasn’t known to be the easy-to-forgive nor easy-to-get-along-with-people type.

“Hmm,” the Chinese boy (who couldn’t speak any bit of Chinese) just hummed in response. When other students arrived, they followed the group for their morning rounds.

“How is that bronchitis patient of yours?” Seungcheol randomly asked.

“Soonyoung hyung said she is going to get a surgery by next week.” Kwon Soonyoung was one of the residents in the surgical ward.

“Good news,” commented the older.

“How about your colitis patient? I heard his condition worsened.”

“Yeah. He gets bloody diarrhea, high fever and red eyes. He sometimes has shortness of breath.” Seungcheol flipped his notebook to the page, “I think maybe steroid isn’t working. So, Jihoon hyung requested for additional abdominal X-ray last night.” Lee Jihoon was also one of the residents.

After their morning rounds ended, they parted to their own work. Today, Minghao had morning report while Seungcheol got to attend in a hernia surgery – of course he wouldn’t get to do anything but to watch and study.

 

-

 

Days went by quickly and Jeonghan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter