nine

Red River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Her heart was pounding heavily, Momo was getting nervous. Dahyun was right behind her but she was insecure, one tiny mistake could cost both of their lives. A strong wind struck them and let the noise of the trees fill their ears, the scary woods were getting darker, so as the sky, the sun was starting to get down.

" Ready?" Momo asked Dahyun. The warriors were almost done to pull the rocks with a trigger mechanism made by Chaeyoung and Mina, once so Momo had to reach the exact speed to be able to pass without harm.

" Yes" Dahyun said fixing her helmet.

" We're ready" Momo yelled to Mina, the girl signalized at them to get ready to pull, while Tzuyu calculated the right time for Momo to accelerate.

" On my mark, you can go and don't stop until you pass" Tzuyu said to Momo. Jihyo calculated the distance they were set so the plan appeared to be good.

" Right, let's go" Momo said turning the motorcycle on. Some seconds of expectation passed.

" NOW" Tzuyu yelled.

Momo speeded from far away, wheels marking the dusty road. When she got closer they moved the rocks and she passed like a lighting in a tiny passage that they were able to open. Apparently, it all was a success so everybody sighed in relief and praised themselves.

At the other side, Momo saw a destroyed place, the bike was in an incredible speed so she started to try to slow down. Suddenly her motorcycle swung forward and she felt like losing control, glancing her wheel, she saw that the bike was going to crash, despair washed her face when she saw a sharp knife placed, most likely thrown in the front wheel, all she was able to do was turn a bit around and pull Dahyun to her chest right before collapsing on the floor as the bike wasn't able to be controlled. Her back hit the ground, followed by her head, luckily, she was with the helmet, Dahyun wasn't able to reason what was happening until she felt the pain of her arm being dragged on the cold floor, letting dripping blood. The bike continued to drag off, scratching its side on the ground and letting a sharp noise. Luckily, Dahyun hurt her arm only, nothing more, because Momo was able to protect her. On the other side, the older girl was only able to do that because the impact made her pass out right after her head hit the hard floor. When they came into reality again, Dahyun rushed to help Momo, the girl looked seriously injured specially on her back, her clothes were almost all ripped off there.

" Momo" Dahyun said when she saw the girl unconscious.

Dahyun thought. She started to take Momo' s helmet off but heard a noise with her good hearing. It looks like that actually someone could be waiting so it could all be a trap. She realized that she had no time to wake up Momo and used all of her strength, maybe from the adrenaline and the result of all her training, to carry the girl on her back to the nearest cover, an unfinished building near the crash. Knowing that the vampires move slower in the sunlight, she had the time to sprint to there before being seen, but she knew that her luck wouldn't last long because she could see the sunset lights. At least, she was able to get there without further harm but her arm jolted with pain when she let Momo lay with the head on her lap, the best cover she found was under a stair case half constructed there.

" Wake up" Dahyun whispered trying to wake the other girl.

" Please wake up" She repeated, tears almost spilling out her now dark red eyes. All the blood made her thoughts foggy, misleading to her blood hunger. The worry she felt made her try to push all of that away, the possibility of someone or a group following them was really big since it seemed like they were waiting. She could feel Momo's blood dripping from her injured back, it wasn't helping that she had to kept her attention in any noises in the area. After a minute, she sharply breathed, trying to make her mind to pay attention on Momo's faint breath. All that was broke by a noise of steps, she stopped breathing with tears spilling from her widen eyes as she closed with her hand to prevent anyone from hearing her heavy breathing. The place was cold and the sunlight was faint, she knew her eyes were glowing because of her fear. Steps getting closer, a shadow could be seen, just one vampire searched for them in that horrible scattered place, she knew that she had the strength to take him down but she couldn't move an inch from her position, and Momo didn't respond for a while, she felt alone with the world against her. Dahyun closed her eyes, held the other girl closer and pretended they weren't there until the steps got far away from them, she could feel Momo's almost stopping heartbeat against her. Dahyun shakily moved the girl to see the enormous wound covering her back exactly where she fell.

' What do I do?! '

Usually Chaeyoung took care of that kind of things, she wished she wasn't hopelessly alone.

Dahyun took what lasted from Momo's jacket and laid the girl on top of it, taking her own jacket, she wrapped the wound the way she could to at least last for a while.

" I'm scared, don't leave me" She whispered laying near the girl and praying that the vampire doesn't find them there.

*********************************************************************

Jihyo was biting her nails when she heard a sharp noise coming from the other side, it was faint and could be nothing but something was telling her that anything could happen with them in that place.

" Don't worry too much" Mina said by her side. They were observing Tzuyu, Jeongyeon and Sana moving things with the others while they took care of the rock barrier, they saw the latter and clumsy girl tripping and shook their heads.

" They are alone there, if is a trap they are screwed" Jihyo said with a worried tone.

" You're right, but luckily we'll be able to pass on time" Nayeon said approaching them.

Jihyo sighed, Mina looked down and Nayeon sat by their side also worried, it looked like luck wasn't on their side so, they couldn't expect much of time either. That place was kind of scary in some ways, the lack of sound even for a place surrounded by forest was what mostly called their attention, not even a noise could be heard from the possible animals there, while the night was approaching like they were hiding or waiting for something. The birds just stared, the moon could be seen and, as they know, any danger hidden from the sun could come out at night.

...

The rushed and some sort of improvised military tents were done, they preferred to let the cars between them and the barrier so the smell of blood couldn't be sensed at least. Jeongyeon was eating or most liked trying too, she was preferring to fix her arrows than doing other things, like worrying. The other girls even called her to join them on a campfire they arranged but the effort seemed nothing when she refused, maybe she just wanted to be alone with her vague thoughts. The night was filled with noises from the campfire and gushes of wind through the woods, their camp was placed on the middle of the road to prevent some adventurous eyes between the trees so it was cold and dusty.

Tzuyu could see the fire lighting up Chaeyoung's eyes, that not even for minute dared to gaze at her direction. She was sad and the others were asking if she was ok, keeping her fake smile, she nodded as anything had ever happened. Tzuyu was going to eat but also preferred the solitude, gazing the moon, she started to hum some song to distract herself, she could hear the buzzing silence in that place and the so unattractive trees in there, letting her mind go away she just started to think a little too much about what she did wrong or why she felt so harmed. She actually had already spent her life being or most likely pretending to not to be so fragile with unspoken thoughts because words don't seem to fit much with her. But indeed, she was fragile and sometimes just wanted to scream with everybody. In the hardest times, her friends always saw her as the calm one or the tough one to be with, even Chaeyoung, the one that knew her short words about insecurities, had turned her down and now she is allowing herself to crack slowly, like making the covered glass wall that hides her instabilities to be crashed down little by little.

With tears already pilling up, she told herself that everything was ok and that she doesn't have to worry at the moment.

" Stooop" She heard Sana squeal and that was kind of the opposite she was looking for, she wanted at least some peace. Tzuyu gazed back at them and saw Mina and Jihyo playing with Sana, until the latter started running away but gave up. Tzuyu allowed herself to smile because it looked like they were doing a playful campfire than waiting to fight vampires, she decided to go back at them while giggling because of their antics with each other, it was the best anyways.

...

Following her sudden instincts, Jeongyeon heard something, she got up, her eyes searched all the sides but it seemed like she was being played for whatever that made the noise, as expected, someone approached her at that moment and that someone looked at her like she was crazy.

" What are you doing?" Jihyo asked also looking around.

" I heard a noise" Jeongyeon said sitting down again, she was sat on a tree log that didn't look that good.

" We're going to arrange to sleep now, or at least try" Jihyo said the reason she was there to call her.

" Wait" Jeongyeon heard again, she walked up to a nearest tree and saw a shadow, with her bow up, she saw the small moving object up on a branch of that tree and shot without hesitation.

" Oh my God, you killed the poor squirrel" Jihyo said looking at the dead animal that fell from the tree. It had an arrow crossed right in his eye.

" I didn't know it was a squirrel" Jeongyeon said crouching and picking it up.

" Put that down" Jihyo said chuckling.

" I think we can eat it" Jeongyeon said swinging the dead squirrel at Jihyo's direction.

" I'm not going to eat a squirrel" Jihyo said backing away from her. Instead of dropping it, Jeongyeon got closer to her and pushed the animal at her.

" Are you going to waste food Jihyo?" She said smirking.

" We already have enough food" Jihyo said walking backwards.

" I don't want to hear complaints when you starve" Jeongyeon said poking the squirrel. But Jihyo kept walking backwards and unfortunately didn't see a rock standing on her way, so with that, she tripped and fell with a thud with her on the ground. The other girl didn't want to laugh but she couldn't resist when she saw Jihyo frowning while getting up.

" Very funny" She said cleaning her pants that stained with dirt.

" It is" Jeongyeon said still laughing, that made the other start to giggle and laugh as well, she just had that type of contagious laugh and Jihyo really thought about how nice it would be seeing the girl laughing more.

" Just let's go, I don't want to be at the same tent as you so we have to be fast" Jihyo said leading the way.

' What?! ' Jeongyeon suddenly was surprised.

" When I left, the others were already claiming their spots so" Jihyo completed like she read the other's mind. And after all, with a heavy heart, Jeongyeon saw that they were placed together.

" Told you" Jihyo said smacking her shoulder lightly but with a serious face.

" But hey, you're not that bad and I don't snore" Jihyo said passing to go to their tent.

' Fine ' Jeongyeon thought clenching her bow and following the other, without knowing what to expect.

The next few hours were with them trying to sleep, their tents were kind of big so two could sleep well, Chaeyoung was placed with Nayeon at first but, the latter said she wouldn't be sleeping that night to guard the perimeter so she was alone, it didn't make a difference because Chaeyoung couldn't sleep anyways, even with the dark surroundings, walking around seemed better. The other guarding around of the girls was Sana but she was almost giving up the idea after almost falling asleep on the first hour and sat down on the cold floor stretching her arms.

" Shouldn't you be gu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter