Four

Go Ahead and Break My Heart [Hiatus]

FOUR


 

Yunhyeong smiled as he scanned through his paperwork; his restaurant will officially open in three days and today was the deadline for things to be finalised. He sighed happily and took a sip of his coffee from his takeaway coffee cup when he heard the sound of the restaurant entrance door opening, and looked up.

“Excuse me, are you the owner of this restaurant?”

Yunhyeong’s eyes widened and he beamed immediately. “Chanwoo!!” he screamed as he jumped up from his seat and ran to the said person into a hug. He threw his arms around his neck and jumped on him, wrapping his legs around his torso, clinging to him like a koala.

Chanwoo laughed heartily as he caught his older brother in his arms and hugged him tightly. “Hi, hyung!”

Yunhyeong squeezed Chanwoo as he inhaled the familiar scent of him and sighed at the feel of contentment of having his little brother in his arms after so long. He leaned his head into Chanwoo's neck before untangling his legs, jumping down and pulled apart. They beamed at each other and giggled.

Then Yunhyeong frowned, his eyebrows knitting together. “Wait – you’re really back, right? This isn’t just a visit, right?”

Chanwoo laughed and lightly slappedd his brother’s arm. “Of course, I’m really back!”

Yunhyeong smiled widely, “Good! I’m so glad that you are!”

“Me too.” Chanwoo lifted his head and looked up, his eyes roaming through the entire restaurant as he was finally able to take in his surroundings, and took a step away from Yunhyeong. “Wow…so this is your restaurant?”

“Yep!” Yunhyeong nodded and followed Chanwoo’s eyes. He grinned at his big round eyes and how his small mouth formed the shape of O as he scanned the interior building in curiosity. “It’s great, isn’t it?”

“It’s fantastic, hyung!” Chanwoo exclaimed, excitedly with his eyes moving non-stop. “It looks way better than the pictures you’ve sent me.”

Yunhyeong chuckled and slipped an arm around Chanwoo’s neck, pulling his taller brother towards him. “Then, donsaeng, do you want to be my first unofficial customer?”

Chanwoo whipped his head around to face Yunhyeong. “Really? Can I?”

Yunhyeong laughed and led them to the table that he was working from earlier. “Dangyeonhaji!” He pulled a black menu book out from the many piles and held it in front of Chanwoo. “Choose what you wanna eat from the menu and I’ll cook it for you.”

Chanwoo squealed in delight as he grabbed the book into his hands. “Okay!”

 

******

 

“Does your cousin hate you that much?” Yunhyeong asked as he watched Chanwoo happily ate the food that he’d cooked for him at his choice. While he was cooking, Chanwoo had been telling him about how his cousin had flown to China a couple of days before to confront him about their grandfather’s decision of Chanwoo’s new position in the company. “Or is he actually afraid of you?”

Chanwoo let out a small chuckle after swallowing his chewed food. “Both…I think.”

“So what happens next? What did you say?” Yunhyeong asked. When Chanwoo had called to inform him about his permanent move back to Korea, he had been very vague about the details and reasons; and he hadn’t asked any further since he was only excited about Chanwoo’s return at that time.

“I told him that I won’t be taking his position. I told my grandfather I won’t do it,” Chanwoo answered as he scooped up more food into his spoon and then into his mouth.

Yunhyeong tuts and reached across the table to wipe a piece of rice that’s stuck at the corner of Chanwoo’s lip. “Sometimes, you eat like a baby,” he muttered but smiled tenderly when Chanwoo pouted at his comment. “So what’s your position in the company, then?”

“I’m the Chief Financial Officer.”

Yunhyeong frowned at the answer. “Chief Financial Officer? Why?”

Chanwoo looked up and shrugged his shoulders. “Because I’m good with money… Because I have a degree in Business Economics…”

“That’s not what I meant,” Yunhyeong cut in. “What I meant was shouldn’t you have a higher position? At the company in China, you were the President. You're also the grandson of the Chairman.”

“So is Taeho.”

“Yeah, but you’re the heir – your grandfather wants you to take over the company one day,” Yunhyeong said. “Your grandfather said it himself, right?”

“I don’t want to be a member of the Board,” Chanwoo replied. “That position has a huge spotlight and too many enemies. And I don’t want any of that. Besides, the job is all work and no play. It’s no fun.”

“Why don’t you ever fight against Taeho?” Yunhyeong asked curiously. “You have more rights and power than him.”

“I hate fighting. Especially for the sake of position in a company,” Chanwoo answered bitterly.

Yunhyeong narrowed his eyes and tilted his head to the side slightly at Chanwoo’s words because those words were implying easy defeat. He was baffled. Chanwoo doesn’t do defeat – he doesn’t even know what giving up meant but yet here he was purposely stepping aside for his cousin who was always trying to bring him down. Yunhyeong frowned even more – Chanwoo’s words were excuses – excuses to hid his real reasons.

“You’re hiding something. There’s something you’re not telling me, isn’t it,” Yunhyeong said.

Chanwoo put his spoon down and looked at his brother amusingly. “Hyung.”

Yunhyeong folded his arms on the table and leaned forward with raised eyebrows. “I know you better than anyone in this world. And right now, my instincts says, I’m right.”

“Alright, Detective Song,” Chanwoo laughed and shook his head as he picked his spoon up again and returned to his meal. He surfed his spoon across the food. “It’s got nothing to do with you, hyung, so you don’t have to know.”

"So there is something."

Chanwoo ignored him.

Yunhyeong sighed defeatedly and leaned back on his chair. When Chanwoo doesn’t want to talk about it, it meant he doesn’t want to talk about it; and it doesn’t matter what methods you try, he won’t open up. “Come over tonight for dinner – mum and dad will be very happy to see you,” he said, changing the subject; he decided to let it go and not push Chanwoo any further.

Chanwoo shot an apologetic look at Yunhyeong. “I would love to but I can’t tonight. I have an appointment dinner with my chaebol family.”

“Appointment?” Yunhyeong snorted. “You don’t have appointment with your family.”

“Well with my chaebol family you do,” Chanwoo said.

“Why do you always call them your chaebol family?”

“That’s because they are.”

Yunhyeong felt a wave of pity to his younger brother at his nonchalant words. He knew (and seen) very well that Chanwoo grew up being detached from his family emotionally and physically; and the detachment grew even worse after their mother passed away and in addition he was sent away (more like exiled) by his father to live in China from such a young age. He swallowed the ache that his heart had squeezed away.

“You’ll come to my opening night, right?” Yunhyeong said.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world!” Chanwoo smiled. “By the way, hyung, this is really delicious!”

“Really?” Yunhyeong said, smiling widely. When Chanwoo nodded, he reached out and patted Chanwoo’s head affectionately. “Then eat a lot.”

 

******

 

The official opening of his restaurant turned out to be more successful than Yunhyeong had predicted it to be; within an hour of him displaying the opening sign on his window and holding the entrance door open wide, people came bustling in, all excited after weeks of promising advertising and wanting to taste the food of the new restaurant. And when Jiwon, Donghyuk, Jinhwan, Hanbin and Ju-ne finally arrived, they find themselves queuing in a line outside the busy restaurant.

“Would you look at this!” Jiwon laughed. “There’s actually a queue outside Yunhyeong’s restaurant! That’s how many people want to go in!”

“I know, right! Yunhyeong hyung must be so happy!” Hanbin grinned.

“Maybe we should’ve come earlier,” Ju-ne said as they shuffled forward with the line.

“Yunhyeong told us to come a bit later, remember?” Jinhwan reminded.

“You think there’s a table for us?” Donghyuk asked as he looked through the wide glass window. “There’s so many people.”

When, eventually, they get to the front and standing at the entrance, they were greeted by Yunhyeong’s father who was helping with seating the customers. “Boys! You came!” he greeted them excitedly.

They smiled and bowed at him. “Annyeonghaseyo!”

He nodded and smiled at them in return then turned to an employee that was standing next to him. “Tell Yunhyeong that his friends are here.”

The employee nodded and turned to leave in the direction of the kitchen.

“Oh, Mr Song! You don’t have to! Yunhyeong must be really busy – we don’t want to bother him!” Jinhwan protested but Yunhyeong’s father waved his hand.

“Yunhyeong himself said to let him know when you come,” he said. They didn’t have to wait long because a minute later, Yunhyeong appeared in front of them, proudly and happily wearing his Chef black attire, and smiling widely at them.

“Guys!” he exclaimed and clasped a hand on Hanbin’s arm. “I’m so glad you guys are here! I’ve already saved a table for you! It’s upstairs on the second floor! Come on!” He ushered and led them upstairs to their table which was specially situated next to the big glass window door that opened to the balcony.

“Wow, this is a great spot!” Donghyuk commented with a smile as they all sat down. With the balcony next to them, they are treated with the outside view of the city lights that shined beautifully amongst the tall buildings.

“Just for you!” Yunhyeong said as he handed each of them a black menu book and then signaled for one of his waiter to come over. “Listen, guys, I’ve gotta go back downstairs and see things over – so, just order whatever you want, okay? It’s on the house tonight!”

“Really?!?”

“Don’t worry about us, Yunhyeong-ah! Just go and do your job!” Jinhwan said and the others nodded in agreement.

“Oh! Where’s Chanwoo? I haven’t seen him around?” Donghyuk asked; one of the things he’s been looking forward to tonight was meeting the said person again.

Yunhyeong laid a hand on Donghyuk’s shoulder. “Chanwoo is coming a little late but once he’s here, I’ll bring him out.”

“Okay!” Donghyuk replied.

Yunhyeong turned to the waiter that appeared next to him obediently. “Take their orders, okay!” The waiter had barely nodded at his boss before Yunhyeong left.

 

******

 

Once they’ve ordered and their foods and drinks arrived, they all immediately devoured it – genuinely enjoying the taste and commenting, all the while, on how delicious it was; in no time they were already half-eaten their meals.

Yeokshi! Song Chef’s cooking is the best!” Jiwon said with his mouth full; it was a miracle that none of it flew out. Both Jinhwan and Ju-ne gave a disapproving look at him.

“Please don’t speak while your mouth is full,” Jinhwan scolded. Jiwon ignored him and continued to filled his mouth with more food. Jinhwan shook his head while Ju-ne’s face scrunched up into disgust causing Donghyuk to laugh out loud.

Then, suddenly, Donghyuk’s eyes widened and he gasped as he hurriedly put his utensils down. “Chanwoo!”

The others immediately whipped their heads around to the same direction and saw Yunhyeong walking to their table and behind him was a tall young man who had the same facial features as Yunhyeong.

As soon as they arrived at the table, Donghyuk stood up and lunged himself onto Chanwoo, hugging him really tightly. “Chanwoo! It’s so good to see you again!”

Chanwoo chuckled and hugged Donghyuk back, his bigger frame made it easier for him to wrapped his arms around him. “Hey, Donghyuk! It’s good to see you too!”

“Alright! You’re choking him with your hug, Donghyuk. Let him breathe,” Yunhyeong said as he patted Donghyuk’s back, smiling.

Donghyuk pulled away, laughing, and looked up at Chanwoo. “You’ve grown taller!”

“You’ve grown taller too, Donghyuk!” Chanwoo teased and Donghyuk swatted his arm making Chanwoo laughed. When Donghyuk turned to look back at his friends, he immediately laughed out loud, his head tilted back and his eyes scrunched up. They were looking at Chanwoo and Yunhyeong with wide eyes and gaped open mouths. “I know, right! They look so alike! Like twins!”

Jiwon laughed, his eyes crinkling into his signature eye-smile as he recovered first from the slight shock. “Exactly alike! For a second, I couldn’t tell you two apart!”

“I thought I was seeing double,” Jinhwan said.

Yunhyeong hooked an arm around Chanwoo’s neck. “Of course, we look alike – we’re brothers.”

Chanwoo teasingly narrowed his eyes at his brother. “When we were kids, you used to hate it whenever people called us twins.”

Yunhyeong punched Chanwoo away making the others laughed. “Shut up!”

“Anyway, let me introduce you to my friends,” Yunhyeong said. “Chanwoo, these are my closests best friends that I’ve always complain to you about…”

“This is Jiwon!”

“Hey!”

“…Jinhwan!”

“Don’t be fool by his small figure – he’s the eldest amongst us,” Jiwon teased, winking at Chanwoo.

“And today might be the first and last time you’re meeting Jiwon, Chanwoo,” Jinhwan said, glaring at Jiwon before smiling politely at Chanwoo. “Hello, Chanwoo.”

Chanwoo laughed, “Annyeonghaseyo. And noted.”

“…Hanbin.”

Chanwoo politely smiled and bowed his head, feeling a little intimidated by Hanbin’s sterned face. But Hanbin gave a small smile at him. “Hello, Chanwoo.”

“And…this is Ju-ne.”

Chanwoo turned his head around to Ju-ne and smiled. “Hello.”

When Chanwoo looked at him directly, Ju-ne suddenly found himself taken aback. Seeing Chanwoo up close allowed Ju-ne to see his facial features more clearly. Yes, Yunhyeong and Chanwoo do looked alike but they also have a very different distinct feature to them. In comparison to his brother, Chanwoo, Ju-ne quickly realised, has a softer cute face with eyes that are big, round and shiny – he had never seen such shiny and sparkling eyes before – that seemed to hypnotise you if you stare into it for too long; and when he smiled, a tiny dimple poke at the corner of his mouth.

He was handsome. Really handsome.

And Ju-ne felt his heart skip a beat.

And his stomach fluttering.

He quickly shook the feelings away and gave a small smile. “Hello.”