Two

Go Ahead and Break My Heart [Hiatus]

TWO


 

“Come home.”

Chanwoo closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb, trying his best to halt his irritated sigh from escaping his lips. “Grandfather…”

“You have been living in China for far too long, it’s time to come home. The company needs you,” his grandfather gruffly ordered through the phone.

“I have been handling and helping the company here in China,” Chanwoo said.

“The company in China was meant to be only a side project,” his grandfather retaliated. “Besides, I’ve already hired someone to take your place over there.”

This time, Chanwoo couldn’t hold his sigh in any longer. Of course, his grandfather had; he had always done things before telling them.

“Does my father wants me to come back?” Chanwoo asked, pointedly.

Silence.

“Your father isn’t the Chairman yet. I am. I make all the decisions. You’re the heir to the company after your father. You need to start to have an active role as the heir.”

“I don’t think my father agrees with you on that matter, Grandfather,” Chanwoo replied.

“You will replace Taeho’s position as the Vice President.”

Then his grandfather ended the call. And Chanwoo knew that was it. If his grandfather made a decision – nobody goes against it. Not that he wants to go against it; he would be happy to go back to Korea; here in China he had no family – he was alone; in Korea he has his brother but returning to Korea also inevitably meant serving in the front line of a family war. And he doesn’t want to be in a war or a pawn for his Grandfather.

Chanwoo slid his phone unto his desk and leaned back against his soft, leather chair. “Well, Taeho definitely won’t be happy about this.”

 

******

 

Chanwoo was right. Because the next day when he came to work, he saw Jung Taeho occupying in one of the sofa in his office with his arms crossed and jaws clenched tightly together.

Chanwoo decided to greet him with a smile. “Cousin Taeho! I could smell your presence from the moment I took a step into the building.” He walked past Taeho to his desk, dropping his briefcase on the floor as he sat down on his chair. He adjusted his chair so that he was directly facing his cousin. “Tell me, what kind of cologne are you wearing that have such a strong smell? Maybe, I should get one so you can sense me whenever I’m near.”

Taeho was clearly not amused and he glared at Chanwoo through his narrowed eyes. “Has Grandfather called you?”

Chanwoo was in the mood to play this morning so he nodded his head nonchalantly. “Yeah, he did. Yesterday.”

“Then he already told you about the Vice President's position – my position that he wants you to take over,” Taeho growled.

“Actually the word Grandfather used was replace,” Chanwoo said with a straight face. “But…yes, he did.”

Taeho’s hand curled around the armchair rest tightly, his fingers digging into the leather cushion deeply that it left a mark. Chanwoo felt a grin pulling at the corner of his mouth as he satisfyingly watched Taeho react to his teasing. Messing with Taeho was always fun because he would get affected by it so easily.

“And are you going to take it?” Taeho said through clenched teeth.

Chanwoo let out a breathy laugh and mockingly made a shock expression. “Did you fly all the way from Korea to China just to ask me that question?”

Taeho’s nails plunged deeper into the cushion.

“Aahh…Taeho-yah,” Chanwoo laughed. “I’m touched, really.”

“Well, are you?” Taeho snarled.

Chanwoo stared at Taeho’s face that was bulging with red anger, and then tilted his head slightly to the side. His smile dropped. “No, I’m not.”

Taeho’s entire body instantly relaxed and his fingernails that was mercilessly digging into his very expensive couch retreated; he was obviously relieved. Chanwoo scoffed at him. Was that Vice President’s position that sacred to him?

“You don’t have to worry. I told Grandfather that I didn’t want your position. I will be the Chief Financial Officer,” Chanwoo explained.

Taeho nodded and stood up as he pulled his blazer across his stomach to button it. He has his answer. “That’s fine. We both have our own position in the company,” he remarked. Then he fully turned to Chanwoo and smirked confidently. “Of course, while Grandfather is still alive, his words are law and he clearly favours you; but once he’s gone and your father becomes the Chairman, I wouldn’t guarantee your future in the family’s company. Because after all, your father wants me, his nephew, to be his heir and not youhis own son.”

Chanwoo blinked blankly at Taeho; completely unfazed by his taunting words. “I don’t want to fight with you today, Taeho-yah. I really don’t.”

“Fine. I was just stating the facts,” Taeho said, shrugging his shoulders. “I guess I’ll see you back in Seoul soon.” He turned to leave but stopped. “Oh, by the way, send my congratulations to your older half-brother for the opening of his new restaurant. I hope it becomes successful.”

Chanwoo’s face hardened and his eyes grew darker. Taeho was threatening him.

“I’m always trying to be nice to you,” Chanwoo said, his voice dropping dangerously low. “But if you go anywhere near my brother and his family and use it against me, I will stop being nice to you.”

Taeho’s eyes quivered slightly and he swallowed his suddenly dried mouth. “My flight is in three hours. It was good to see you.”

“Have a safe flight,” Chanwoo said in a monotone voice.

Taeho turned and leave.