Forest Witch

Day By Day [Drabble Dump]

yes another witch!youngjae i just love the idea. i also adore this particular au, maybe i'll write the full thing one day

 


 

A knock on the wooden door disturbed the silence of the cabin, startling the witch who was deep in a book about magical creatures. Although he nearly jumped out of his recliner chair, he wasn't surprised.

It wasn't uncommon for a certain visitor to knock on his door late in the afternoon.

“Daehyun,” the witch allowed his lips to pull up in a small, fond smile. “What brings you here?”

The (barely) taller man looked sheepish, perhaps even a little ashamed. “The usual.”

Youngjae opened the door wider and invited the man in. “Sit by the kitchen table.” The cabin was small, and his kitchen table reflected that. It could only fit two people, but since Youngjae lived alone it was the perfect size.

“So what happened this time?” Youngjae grabbed the second kitchen chair and pulled it up in front of Daehyun, their knees touching .

“A small fight with a dragonling.” Daehyun pulled up the sleeves of his shirt, showing the burn marks on his right arm. Luckily dragonlings breathe hot air rather than fire, as they're still just babies.

“Why would you mess with a dragonling?” Youngjae opened the chest on the table, revealing a bunch of small boxes. He carefully checked the labels before he found what he was looking for.

“I needed some of the flowers that grow around dragon nests and the dragon in the area is used to me.” Daehyun winced as Youngjae administered salve onto the burnt skin. “I didn't know she had recently given birth to a very playful dragonling.”

Youngjae let out a small laugh. “You could have asked me. Or even the faeries.” The faeries adored Daehyun and would dote on him and help him with whatever he was doing in the forest.

“Yeah I realise that now.”

The faeries weren't the only ones to adore him, most of the creatures in the forest (and even the forest itself) seemed to have a fondness for Daehyun.

Usually being cared for by the forest was reserved for the witches who lived in a symbiosis with nature, but Daehyun got the same care.

“So, what do you need the dragon flowers for?” Youngjae nodded towards the little basket Daehyun had with him, which was currently placed on the floor and b with dragon flowers. It wasn't a flower normal people had any use of, most of the time Daehyun ventured into the forest he was getting herbs which non-magical people could make medicine of. Dragon flowers weren't particularly pretty either, its only use being for particular spells and potions.

The question flared up Daehyun’s cheeks. “Actually, I did it because I saw you were running low when I was here yesterday and I wanted to do something nice for you, since you often have to patch me up.”

Oh.

“The reason I was running low was because I knew about the newborn dragonling,” Youngjae explained softly. “But thank you. It was kind of you, even if reckless.”

It's one thing to heal some scratches from traps Daehyun had walked into; traps made by mischievous pixies, but Youngjae wouldn't want him to get hurt on his behalf.

“If you wanna help, there are plenty of things you could do. Things which wouldn't get you a second degree burn.” The paste had been on long enough and in its dried state, Youngjae could peel them off. Underneath was healthy looking skin, slightly red but no hint of a burn.

“What do you need help with?”

“Trading in the village. I hate going there.” most of them treated him fine, but he felt scrutinised every time he went there. Youngjae preferred the company of the forest and its many creatures.

Daehyun was rubbing his previously burnt arm, a sweet smile on his thick lips. “Of course.”

Youngjae couldn't help but return the smile. “You should be on your way, it's getting late.” Traversing the forest in the dark could be a pain.

“Yeah.” Daehyun walked to the door, stopping and turning around. “Thanks for healing me.”

“Always.” Youngjae took the few steps from the kitchen table to the door, smiling mischievously before he leaned closer and pressed a chaste, brief kiss against the soft cheek. “Thanks for the flowers.”

It was satisfying to see just how red Daehyun got.

The man nearly ran out of the cabin, mumbling a hurriedly bye.

Youngjae laughed to himself, watching as Daehyun disappeared into the forest before he closed the door and went back to his book.

The forest and its creatures weren't the only ones to have a soft spot for Jung Daehyun.