The Hardships of Confessing

Day By Day [Drabble Dump]

1.
The first time Youngjae had confessed to Daehyun, they had been sitting together in Youngjae's dorm during their first year of University. They had met in the first semester, and in a few months Youngjae had felt himself falling deeper and deeper for his new handsome friend.

Their friendship grew as well, with them spending so much time together other people were joking about the two being joined at the hip.

They were alone, with Youngjae's room mate having disappeared for the night, and they were cuddled on the bed as they watched a film on Daehyun's laptop.

It felt like the right moment, and Youngjae wanted so desperately to confess his feelings. If Daehyun rejected him it would be better than to keep hoping for a chance.

“Hey, Dae?” Youngjae mumbled, trying to ignore how his heart was beating erratically. They were side by side on the bed, Daehyun's arm over his shoulders and their legs tangled.

“Yeah?” Daehyun was busy looking at the laptop on their thighs.

Youngjae breathed in deeply. “I like you.” He was observing carefully as Daehyun's eyes widened and a smile grew on his lips.

Daehyun turned around, eyes shining. “I like you too, Jae!”

Youngjae's mouth fell open, happiness surging through his body.

“You're the bestest friend I’ve ever had! I’m glad I can officially call you my best friend now!”

“Oh.”

Daehyun thought he meant it in a platonic way.

Youngjae deflated, losing any motivation and courage he had built up.

“So happy I met you, Youngjae.”

“Yeah, same.”


2.
The second time Youngjae had tried to confess, it had been on valentine's day of their 3rd semester.

Youngjae had made some chocolate with the help of Yongguk and had even carefully wrapped it.

On the day, he had stood at Daehyun's dorm with his hand outstretched.

“Damn, this is packed prettily!” Daehyun whistled, grabbing the gift and looking at it. “Whoever is getting it will be really happy!”

“To Daehyun,” he read out loud. “Oh, it's for Dahyun? The girl in your class? You wrote it wrong.”

Oh god. Why was he in love with this idiot? “I'm gay, Daehyun!” He didn't mean to yell it this loudly, but he was getting really frustrated.

“Oh right!” Daehyun's eyes crinkled up. “So it's a friendship chocolate? I'll eat it well, Jae! Thank you.” He even dared to affectionately ruffle Youngjae's hair.

God dammit.


2.5

After they graduated, Youngjae had searched for a place to stay.

Somehow, Daehyun had interpreted it as the two of them living together when Youngjae had showed the apartment he had found.

Youngjae never bothered to correct him and somehow they ended up with living in the same apartment post-graduation, and they even had to share a room.

And Youngjae was still so deeply in love with him he kind of enjoyed it.

Even though he knew Daehyun would never look at him as anything other than a friend.


3.

First year of christmas together in the apartment, Youngjae had once again tried to confess.

This time, with a firmer action. One Daehyun could not misunderstand in any way.

So, on Christmas eve, after eating some expensive takeout and exchanging gifts, Youngjae had done the one thing he had dreamed of for the past four years; he had leant close and kissed Daehyun firmly on his thick, soft lips.

A tingle went down his spine, and happiness bloomed in his chest.

Finally he got to taste the lovely lips he had been admiring so often.

It was a short kiss, and chaste.

Youngjae withdrew, his bottom lip as he looked into Daehyun's eyes.

Surprisingly, there was no shock there.

“So you finally noticed the mistletoe above us!” He laughed softly. “Knew you'd be a stickler for such traditions.”

Flabbergasted, Youngjae looked up and there it was - a mistletoe.

ing hell.

With a dramatic sigh he sat back, feeling like the unluckiest person in the world.

4.
On their second year of living together, something happened.

“Hey, Youngjae!” Daehyun came walking into the living room, a toothbrush in his hand and no shirt on his body. Youngjae tried not to drool as he admired the muscle his best friend had acquired recently. “Wanna come with me to meet my friends today? They're starting to think I'm lying about having a boyfriend.”

The glass in Youngjae's hand slipped out and hit the floor, shattering to pieces.

“What?”

Daehyun's forehead furrowed. “They're nice people, Jae. You don't have to look so scared.”

“Boyfriend?” His voice was a little high pitched. “We're boyfriends? Since when?”

“Since you confessed and kissed me at the graduation party?”

Youngjae had no memory from that party. He had been depressed at having to enter the adult life, and potentially not being able to hang out with Daehyun as much. Therefore he had drank quite a lot. This was before he knew they would move in together. “Why didn't you say anything? Didn't you find it strange I never talked about it?”

“I just assumed you were a little embarrassed,” Daehyun shrugged, placing the toothbrush down on the table. “I mean you had no qualms of us sharing a bed for the past two years, no friends do that, right?”

“But we never do anything? No kisses, no dates, no se-“. Youngjae shut his mouth, cheeks flaming red. “Yet you've thought we've been boyfriends for two years?”

All colour seemed to drain from Daehyun's face. “I just thought you were shy and wanted to take it slow.”

“I'm-“ Here Youngjae had tried several times to confess, but a drunken confession he couldn't remember had made Daehyun assume they were boyfriends? And then never really mentioned it? So all this time, Youngjae could have been kissing and cuddling Daehyun instead of thinking he was in a unrequited love situation with the biggest idiot on this planet?

“I'm sorry, Youngjae. If you don’t want us to be boyfriends anymore I totally get that and-“

Before he could finish talking, Youngjae marched over and pulled him into a hard and desperate kiss. Hands immediately grabbed his hips and pulled him closer, Daehyun moving his lips and deepening the kiss.

Well, two years had been wasted, but they could make up for it easily.

He was definitely not allowing Daehyun to leave the apartment for today, his plans be damned.