twelve

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  twelve

 


Chanyeol's unexpected appearance outside the gate was rather alarming to Sehun, he would've understood better if that man showed up yesterday when Ahreum had hosted a party but no, they were definitely not expecting him. Not yesterday, not today - not ever. 

Sehun reluctantly keyed in the security code, watching Chanyeol proceed into the porch through the cameras installed around the house, he honestly didn't want to have him around. Having that said, Sehun pushed the wheels on the sides of his chair to answer the door anyways. He unlocked it with a click, pulling the door back to raise an eyebrow at the tall man standing in front of him with a bag in a hand and his car keys in the other.

The latter ducked his head to meet his gaze, greeting Sehun with a forced smile.

 

"I dropped by to see how you've been doing,"

 

Technically, it wasn't considered as a lie since Chanyeol still hoped for Sehun's speedy recovery although that wasn't the real reason to why he came over. In a way, the warm snacks he came to deliver became the perfect gift for the couple since it would've been rude to show up empty-handed at their house.

A blank expression was plastered on his face even as Sehun invited him inside, awkwardly strolling down the hallway with the taller male pushing on his wheelchair. He's heard a lot of things about Chanyeol through Suho since the two worked in the same company, he learned that Chanyeol was one of the best architects in town which was rather impressive.

"She'll be down in a while," Sehun informed and Chanyeol slowly nods to acknowledge that as he sat on the armchair beside him. Sehun must've guessed that Chanyeol was resisting the urge to let the question 'Where's Ahreum?' from rolling off the tip of his tongue ㅡ considering the fact his eyes seemed to be searching for something (or someone) around the house.

 

Silence wasn't the best way to treat your guest, regardless of who they are and so Sehun actually put the effort into striking a decent conversation with him. After everything that happened between them, it would be childish of Sehun to continue feeling annoyed towards someone that once fancied his lovely lady ㅡ the past will stay in the past, especially when Sehun and Ahreum was going to build a future of their own.

Of course, what was there to be worried of when Ahreum had already chosen him in the first place?

Chanyeol was no longer his competition.

 

With that thought in mind, Sehun wears a bright smile on his face as he congratulated the man on his latest project which seemed to surprise Chanyeol a little. He would've wondered how Sehun knew but since Suho was a mutual friend of theirs, he figured it might've been mentioned before and so he responds with a quick thank you.

The conversation wasn't as awkward as either of them expected it to be, after all they are both grown men discussing about politics, work and often about Sehun's physcial health improvements. Ahreum had just finished a shower upstairs and was busy drying her hair when she heard voices coming from downstairs. She scrunched her brows in confusion and stepped out of the room, slowly making her way downstairs to find Sehun laughing with the last person he would ever speak with.

 

If only her husband actually took the time to sit down and get to know Chanyeol a few years ago, he'd be surprised to know how much things they actually have in common. Ahreum chuckles as she approached the two, taking a seat on the couch after greeting them with a delighted grin on her face.

"What's that, by the way?" Sehun asked a moment later, pointing at the bag Chanyeol placed on the table.

"Oh, I brought some mochi rice cakes." Chanyeol exclaims, bending over to take out a small box from the bag. "They're your favourite, right?" He adds, flashing Ahreum a slight smirk.


"Sort of, I haven't really had them in a while.." she chuckles, reaching over to help him unpack the boxes he brought. There was a variety of colorful little balls, making her excited to see if they'll taste as nice as they look. "Have some," Chanyeol gestured at Sehun, passing him the box.

Sehun took it from Chanyeol's hands out of reflex and raises a brow at the snacks inside the box.

He had no idea that mochi balls were Ahreum's “favourite”, because she always seemed to prefer fresh fruits like strawberries, or even chocolate muffins over these flavoured local rice cakes. Besides, she never really asked him to buy these for her in case they happened to pass by a store selling it.

Therefore, it bothers Sehun a little (or a load) to think of another man knowing Ahreum better than he did ㅡ to have a man look at something, and be reminded of his wife, Ahreum.

 

"They're your favourite?" He questions quietly, almost confused of what he heard.

 

"Well, only if they're made properly.. I don't really eat much of these because sometimes the fillings can be too sweet or they could even overcook the rice cakes outside." Ahreum explained, poking a fork into the small ball before popping it in . Not only were they colourful, but the mochi balls were soft and melting in the mouth. As Ahreum began to chew, the flavors instantly exploded in and a bittersweet memory of her childhood washes over her as she stared at the box in her hands.

 

"So? How is it?" Chanyeol tried his best to hide a grin, not wanting his new friends to see him as the witch giving Snow White a poisoned apple. It feels great to think of doing this good deed, it was very rewarding to watch Ahreum unknowingly indulge herself to the treats her mother made for her. Even for him, he could clearly taste the love Ahreum's mother had poured into these snacks and wonders if she felt it too.

 

If only she knew.

 

"These actually taste amazing."

"Yeah?" Upon seeing the strange smile on Chanyeol's face, Sehun paused from chewing on his rice cake to squint his eyes at the beaming male. He doesn't see the need to hype this basic dessert, unless this man was planning of something?

"In fact, these

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter