nine

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

nine

 

The first few weeks was absolutely tough, but Ahreum knew she had to stay strong for herself in order to give Sehun the strength he needs. His parents came to visit him everyday inside the hospital and sometimes his closest friends would stop by to check on him after workhours. Everyone around him gave Sehun the sympathy he doesn't need, asking him questions he couldn't answer.

He didn't want to talk with anyone, let alone meet somebody – he just wanted to leave this place as soon as possible.

However, Sehun wasn't granted the permission to be discharged until the doctors were pleased with his daily reports; assured to know that his health was somehow improving as days pass but when they finally got home, its like their entire world has been turned upside down.

 

Thanks to this wheelchair, Sehun could no longer walk up the beautiful marble staircase of his house to enter their spacious bedroom upstairs. Ahreum was smart enough to transform the guestroom downstairs into a lovely space they could sleep in, even if it was for a while. Needless to say, it annoyed Sehun to think about moving around one floor when most of his things were upstairs.

The entire reason behind buying a big double-storey bungalow was because Sehun had always loved the thrill of running up and down the staircase ever since he was a kid, he'd rather rot away inside a single floored apartment instead of spending the rest of his life on the lower ground.

 

Then again, beggars can't be choosers.

 

Their daily routines that could've been finished in a blink of an eye were now much of an obstacle for Sehun to overcome. He didn't think things would get this hard, just because his two legs could no longer support him the way they used to – boy, he was so wrong.

He could barely reach for his own toothbrush on the shelf to start the day, or even change himself properly from head to toe ㅡ Sehun can't even sit up from the bed without Ahreum's assistance. He wasn't capable of doing anything at all! It kills him to have Ahreum, who he should be protecting in the first place, taking full responsibilty over him by doing almost everything for him.

 

Having to carry Sehun up from his wheelchair to move him to certain places was a challenge Ahreum faced every hour of the day. Sehun's a head taller and a lot more stronger than she was, and so to support the taller male with her small arms and wobbly legs is something Ahreum was truly sincere of doing. She knows that Sehun couldn't do things by himself, therefore she would just push her sleeves up to gather all the energy her body could offer, before wrapping her arms around the taller male's torso.  

She was patient enough to help him around, like getting him in the shower, or even laying him down on the bed — Ahreum never complained about the way her muscles and limbs would ache each time they'd call it a night.

 

On the other hand, Sehun only felt miserable of himself – especially when someone much smaller (and weaker than him) becomes the person shifting his big body from one place to another, all because his two damn legs were ing useless. Nothing was the same way it used to be, and his personality only worsens each time Ahreum to rush over to lend him a hand.

He didn't need help, Sehun was a grown man ㅡ not a baby that needs a mother to carry him to places.

 

"Careful, Sehun." She would always say, eventhough it was herself that struggled not to topple over from the weight pressing against her. With a small groan, Sehun reluctantly wraps an arm around her shoulders as she carefully hoisted him up from their bed.

Once she had successfully seated Sehun into the wheelchair beside the bed, the male finally spoke what he had been intending to say since the past few minutes, if only his mind wasn't in a blur like how its been since a few days ago. "You didn't have to, Ahreum." he grumbled, although he would already be in his chair once those words left his mouth.

She only flashed him a warm grin, bending forward to leave a peck on the top of his head.

The doctor had explained to Ahreum on how her husband's movements would be much slower than before ㅡ that it was absolutely normal for Sehun to have stalled responses once in a while.

 

It was a little awkward to get used to it at first, because Sehun's brain would take quite a while to process the words he wanted to say whereas his body seemed to have made the action right away. The first time Sehun happened to wet his bed – at this age – by accident, he felt so ashamed of himself when Ahreum also woke up from the liquid soaking the fabric beneath them.

"What's wrong, Sehun?" the brunette darts upright, alerted of the situation even before she was fully awake. "I want to go to the bathroom," was what Sehun would've uttered if only he managed to say it a little earlier. Without another word, she quickly got up to remove Sehun's figure from the mattress before heading towards their wardrobe to grab a set of new clothes to change him into.

Cleaning Sehun was not much of a challenge for her, they've seen each other countless of times before and so Ahreum doesn't mind it at all. After dressing him up nicely, she looked up to see her husband's flushed face while his glassy eyes would simply avoid Ahreum's soft gaze.

 

"I'm always here for you, Sehun." she told him, in the most encouraging tone she could ever think of.

It broke her heart to see such sorrow plastered on his face and she forces a smile as held Sehun's face in her hands ㅡ staring into those eyes that once shined with confidence; they were now sparkling with so much insecurity. Depression was unseen and unheard, but it is there and Ahreum is aware of the darkness clouding Sehun's mind. Therefore, Ahreum would sometimes come up with plans to bring him out of the depressing atmosphere inside their house, trying to keep him busy so that Sehun wouldn't drown himself in hopeless thoughts.

 

Unfortunately, going outside was no longer a pleasure for Sehun.

For someone who travelled around the world, adoring the freedom the great outdoors brought him ㅡ these days Sehun would rather roll the wheels on the sides of his chair to rest next to the windows, gazing outside the sky that changed hues throughout the entire day.

 

Who knew blue skies, white clouds and green trees could be so entertaining?

 

Now that Sehun has practically lost the ability to even show up for work ㅡ he's grateful of Jongdae and Suho for settling every meeting on his behalf ㅡ there's no reason for Sehun to explore the world outside.

Not in a damned wheelchair.

 

He didn't like the way people would stare at them, somewhat in awe at the sight of a pitiful young woman pushing the wheelchair of her disabled husband down the streets. Although Ahreum was trying her hardest to make him smile by taking a stroll down the memory lane together, reviving their old date nights that took place under the romantic night sky, Sehun really couldn't stand the looks people gave them.

 

He didn't like the way young boys would steal glances of Ahreum, wondering how a pretty woman was related to such an unfortunate, useless man.

He didn't like the way elder women would stare at him, wondering how much he was paying the lady to stick by his side, to do everything for him.

He hates the way some people would look at his legs, wondering if they were really broken. 

 

Broken like the heart of his lover, the strong woman shielding him from the cold eyes of the world. 

Don't ever leave my side, Sehun wanted her to know even if there were so many reasons for Ahreum to do so.

 


From a distance, Ahreum was watching the man in a lab coat demonstrate a few exercises for Sehun to follow. Apart from making sure Sehun took his medicine on time, Ahreum also had to make sure he never missed an appointment with the specialist assigned to Sehun. Although his appointments and medications were costly, Ahreum couldn't care any less of the digits printed on their bill if she was able to see the tiniest smile appearing on Sehun's face by the end of the day, all because he knew his body was healing.

 

Slowly, but surely.

 

His physical therapy sessions were scheduled every Wednesday morning as well as on Thursday evenings, the only days where Sehun was genuinely eager to head outside. They were grateful to be given the chance to be treated by Doh Kyungsoo, a young doctor specializing in the field of spinal cords and nervous systems.

The first time they met the specialist, Ahreum honestly felt intimidated by the serious round eyes staring back at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter