ten

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ten

 

By inviting Sehun's closest friends over for lunch on a sunny weekend, Ahreum genuinely hopes that this get-together session would give her husband the motivation he truly needs. His friends were quick enough to confirm their attendance to the event, understanding the importance behind this small reunion she was hosting for Sehun.

It was sad for everyone to hear about Sehun's current state and so the guys were willing to do whatever it takes to motivate their good friend who was emotionally down at heart.

She woke up early today just to prepare for the occassion by making sure the house looked extra neat and tidy, she even trimmed the rose bushes in her garden since the lunch party was going to be held at the dining hall near their backyard.

 

Ahreum was busy watching the broth in the pots come to a boil when her ears perked up to a noise coming from the bathroom, followed by Sehun muttering loud and angry curses.

Gasping in shock, she quickly turned the stove off before hurrying to the scene. Sehun's been doing better recently and only because she didn't want him to feel suffocated from having her eye on him every 24/7, she would let him do certain things by himself ㅡ nothing beyond what he was capable of. Even so, Ahreum couldn't stop herself from worrying about him, no matter how hard she tried.

 

"Sehun, are you okay?" She voiced her concern, almost twisting the silver knob in her hand to enter.

"Ugh, just leave me alone Ahreum! I can do this myself." Sehun roared from the inside, his arms were gripped onto the edge of the sink as he struggled to hoist himself back on the wheelchair that slipped away.

Though his harsh words were like daggers thrown to her heart, Ahreum simply ignored it and barged inside, lifting the man off the cold bathroom tiles in an instant. Sehun lets out a defeated groan when she manages to get him back on the wheelchair, he places his hands by the wheels on the sides to roll himself out of the bathroom while she followed him from behind.

"I could've done it myself you know," he told her, giving her a disapproving stare once they entered the living room. Ahreum opens to say something but was interrupted by the doorbell, signalling the arrival of her special guest for the afternoon.

 

His eyes followed her figure as she walked to the main door, ogreeting their friends with a short hug before inviting everyone inside their house. From a distance, he sees a little girl giggling down the hallway with a Hello Kitty doll in her hands. Her father was quick enough to catch up with his active daughter from behind ㅡ afraid she might run into any of the expensive furnitures decorating Sehun's house.

 

"Kim Jisoo, what did I say about running around the house like that?" Xiumin scolds in a gentle tone, sweeping his little angel off her feet as they proceeded into the living room where Sehun was in. Sehun finds himself staring at the way Jisoo clung her small arm around Xiumin's neck, flashing her father an apologetic grin instead. Its clear to anyone that Jisoo was definitely Xiumin's daughter; she came with all his special features but the cat-like eyes were probably the prettiest part of her face.

"She's a big girl now," Sehun murmured unknowingly, smiling at his friend who took a seat on the couch beside his wheelchair. "She's making me lose weight too," Xiumin responds jokingly, holding onto Jisoo before she ran after the group of ladies heading to the garden to have a chat of their own.

Sehun's friends soon filled up the spaces in his living room, casually relaxing around the area like they owned the place. They hardly remembered the last time they were able to hang out with each other so freely like this and they ought to thank Ahreum for coming up with this fantastic idea. Barely a minute has passed since his friends arrived and the guys were already warming up to the most random conversations they could think of ㅡ sipping on their tea as if they were taking shots inside a bar.

 

Baekhyun had always been the mood maker in their small circle of friends, bringing up the silliest facts he would remember as they recalled their youngster days which seemed like a teenage dream in comparison to their busy current lives. In their eyes, its surprising to see how fast time flies ㅡ slowly entering the phase in life where wedding invitations and baby showers have replaced the college parties and road trips they had in the past.

While everyone else was howling in laughter from the joke Baekhyun cracked a while ago, the blonde male notices the uneasy expression plastered on Sehun's face.

 

Unable to ignore the brotherly instincts inside of him, Baekhyun clears his throat to grab the rest of his friends' attention. They all followed his gaze to find Sehun spacing out in his chair; suddenly aware of how often he'd steal glances of the woman sitting with her friends in the garden.

Rather than feeling disappointed in themselves for failing to cheer him up, the guys were now snickering in disbelief at the thought of how attached their friend is with his own wife. As much as they wanted to tease Sehun for looking like a lovesick kitten, Xiumin happens to notice something else that was bothering their youngest pal.

 

"What's with the long face, kid?" He asked, giving Sehun a light pat on the shoulder which brought him out of his trances.

"Are you sad because she tops you now?" Jongin whispered teasingly, a low chuckle leaving his plump lips the moment his older friends narrowed their eyes at him.

 

A moment of silence invades the spacious room until Sehun heaves a deep sigh, averting his gaze from the many concerned eyes that fell on him. Not knowing what it was, Baekhyun tried to give him some words of encouragement ㅡ hoping the youngster would open up to them. "C'mon! Cheer up, Sehun. I mean, you know we're always here for you if you need to talk or-"

 

"She's pregnant."

 

Sehun mutters those words like he wanted to nail the entire statement in his own head. He never realised how big this topic was until he finally broke the news to the people he had always looked up to, but now that they know about it ㅡ what else was he supposed to do? He didn't want them to feel burdened on his behalf, knowing he can't even take care of himself to think about looking after his wife that was currently carrying their first child.

"Hey, that's great news! My wife and I are actually expecting our second child too.." Xiumin beamed a second later, a sheepish grin forming on his face since he knows his wife will be upset at him for breaking the news a little too early.

"Its about time," Suho grinned, delighted to think of a friendship blossoming between his own kid and Sehun's.

"So we're gonna have three new babies this year? I can't wait to babysit again," Baekhyun joked, clapping excitedly as they cheered.

 

"What is this, mating season for you birds?" Jongin teased, scoffing loud enough for anyone to hear him. "Kim Jongin," Baekhyun menaced, shaking his head in disapproval even after the younger male rose his hands in surrender.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter