five

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

five

 

When spring came, Ahreum would eagerly stroll around the lovely garden in their backyard with Sehun chuckling as he slowly trailed up behind her. It was the season she has been anticipating for so long, that special time when the seeds she planted months prior ㅡ to the welcome the blissful season ㅡ blossomed into beautiful flowers that decorated the whole space behind their lovely home.

The garden was their paradise on Earth, a safe haven where Ahreum could spend hours sitting under the Sun, surrounded by the sweet scents of the many flowers she's planted herself. Guests that visited their house would never fail to acknowledge the refreshing sights and smells of the colourful roses and orchids that were arranged neatly inside porcelain vases throughout the corners of their house, complimenting his talented wife for being blessed with green thumbs.

A light sigh leaves Sehun's lips as he stared at Ahreum who was grinning from ear to ear, brushing the tip of her fingers against the bright petals of the roses that bloomed to form a lovely flowerbed inside the garden. If there was anything that Ahreum adored to no end, besides Sehun of course, were the white roses that invaded the most space inside the garden ㅡ those flowers were definitely his only competition.

One would normally expect a woman to choose a fiery red rose over any other colour, but to win Ahreum's heart, Sehun had to understand the meaning behind those white roses she loved so much.

 

White was the colour that represents purity and innocence, something that described his lover perfectly. Roses were considered as a token of romance, the kind of flowers anyone would buy for someone they fancied because almost everyone knew the meaning behind a simple rose.

But when you combine the two, people say that white roses are a symbol of true love and he didn't quite understand that statement until came the day his lover finally walked into his life with a bouquet of those flowers in her hands.

Sehun stood up from the bench to approach Ahreum who was busy taking pictures of the blossoms in her garden, he plucks a rose from the bush in front of her and slips it behind his ear, a sneaky way to grab her attention.

"So darling, how do I look?" Sehun's lips formed a slight pout, purposely batting his lashes when Ahreum giggled at his silly action. "Pretty," she smiles, giving his soft hair a quick ruffle before snatching the flower away.

 

With an arm around her small waist, Sehun rests his head on her shoulder once the two of them entered the house. He was startled when his phone buzzed inside the pocket of his pants and upon realising that it was a call from work, Sehun sighed heavily as he hurried to answer while Ahreum walked into the kitchen to prepare some tea.

She knows that Sehun's limited holidays were slowly coming to an end, as much as she wanted to have him around the house with her ㅡ there were plenty of people from the company that needed Sehun even more. Ahreum was more than happy to hear that Sehun was considered as a great boss, she's certain that every wife would feel at ease to know that her husband was doing terrific in their specific field of work.

"What's the matter?" She asks, not bothering to take a glimpse of the frowning male that stomped down the staircase as Ahreum was busy pouring the tea into cups.

 

"Remember about the conference I'm supposed to attend in Shanghai? Told them to push the date a little further but they said it'd be rude of us to try and reschedule it since Director Zhang personally cleared his packed schedule just for this meeting.. I guess we'll be leaving tomorrow evening then," Sehun explained, sighing as he picks up a teacup, blowing the steam away before taking a quick sip.

A small whine left Ahreum's lips, realising that she barely had another day to spend with her husband before he resumed his busy schedule, one where he spends nearly an entire day with signing stacks of confidential documents or shaking hands with tons of high profiled officials ㅡ Sehun was a hardworking man and for that, Ahreum truly appreaciated her lover but she felt miserable of herself for not being able to repay him any of that.

 

After dinner, the couple head out to the nearest convenience store since Sehun wanted to buy several things to prepare for his trip tomorrow. While Sehun was busy standing in line to reach the cashier, Ahreum walks around the store while she waited for him to finish.

A surprised gasp escaped when her eyes spotted a familiar figure sitting on the tall stool in the corner of the store. The lady quietly walks up to the guy, making the taller male jump when he felt a sudden nudge on his shoulder.

She had no idea Chanyeol was actually enjoying himself to a large cup of instant noodles, causing him to choke on the soup he was slurping when she popped out of the blue. Ahreum chuckles nervously, patting her hand on his back with hopes of calming him down when he started coughing. Chanyeol waves a hand, gesturing her to stop and a deep sigh of relief escaped his lips after he chugged down a small bottle of water.

"You startled me, Ahreum."

Chanyeol turns in his chair to face an old friend of his. She flashes him a small smile, apologising for disturbing his meal but when Chanyeol assured her that it was completely fine, the two have already engaged themselves to a brief conversation.

"Have you had your dinner, Ahreum?" He was thoughtful enough to ask, disposing the cup of ramen he just finished so he could talk with Ahreum in ease. "Yeah, you?" She blurts out of reflex, watching Chanyeol force a small grin on his face as he barked a laugh.

"That was my dinner actually, I'm on a budget.." he told her honestly, faking a cough because he felt slightly embarrassed to even admit that.

Truth is, he was a single fella and so he'd prefer to have something simple and cheap for dinner rather than to dine alone at restaurants, although he does get bored of stuffing his belly with the same taste ㅡ every cent still counts.

In the end, he was eating alone anyways so why bother?

He didn't really come from a well-off family like Sehun nor was his father's salary anywhere close to the average pay Ahreum's father got on a monthly basis, that was one of the reason why he was forever grateful for Ahreum's parents on looking after him like a son because Chanyeol always felt homesick from living alone in such a big city.

At this age, he was honestly willing to sleep away his hunger in order to save up and send more money to his hardworking parents that lived far away in a small town. Frankly speaking, business was slow these days and he was honestly glad Ahreum actually ended up with Sehun ㅡ a man that was capable of supporting her in so many ways because Chanyeol lost count of the many days he had to skip breakfast in order to spend money on a proper lunch and dinner instead.

 

"Oh, we meet again."

Not you again.. Sehun wanted to say, he was searching for his wife around the store only to find a certain someone staring dreamily at Ahreum once he finished paying for his stuff. Chanyeol shifts his gaze towards the man that appeared beside his friend, feeling an awkward tension coming in between them just like last time.

"Do you live around here?" Sehun didn't know why he wanted to ask such a question, perhaps he was just confused to see Chanyeol at this time of the night in a store near his house ㅡ that too out of all freaking places.

"Yeah, I just moved in the area recently." Chanyeol answers coldly, his eyes boring into Sehun's intense ones; there was still so much unfinished business between them which can't be easily ignored each time their eyes locked.

Inwardly, Sehun rolled his eyes at the response he rec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter