thirteen

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

thirteen

 

Informing Sehun's parents about the pregnancy had a bittersweet feel to it. His parents were definitely surprised of the news (thinking it happened very recently), and were honestly worried to think of how Ahreum was going to manage so many things at one time. Despite that, her in-laws were more than thrilled to be expecting their first grandchild; someone to lead the next generation of their prestigious family.

For that, Ahreum couldn't be any happier.

Sehun's mother jumped right onboard to help Ahreum adjust herself to the early stages of pregnancy. Having gone through that life changing phase in a woman's life, Sehun's mother was able to empathize with Ahreum during the process and did her best to make sure Ahreum had the support she needed from a proper mother figure.

She would often drop by to deliver food, hoping her warm dishes were enough to satisfy the odd cravings her inexperienced daughter-in-law unknowingly had. She even showed up in front of their door with several bags of maternity clothes for Ahreum to change into once the bump begins to grow, knowing Ahreum barely had time in her hands to go shopping by herself.

 

For once, Ahreum truly felt like she belonged in this family and was more than relieved to see how much her relationship with Sehun's mother has improved as days gradually passed.

They were finally bonding.

Things were finally going well for everyone.

 

But at the end of each day, Ahreum's heart ached to the reality of not having her parents with her ㅡ to share these precious moments of a lifetime.

Rather than couldn't, they probably didn't want to be with her anymore.

And that's what really hurts.

 

Though her in-laws learned to love her like their very own, it just wasn't the same with them. Something else was missing, and Ahreum doubts anything could fill this dreadful void in her heart.

Sometimes, when Sehun's mother pulls her in for an embrace, Ahreum would close her eyes and pretend that it was her own mother that was hugging her. Sometimes she'd smile at the advice Sehun's father constantly gave them, wondering if her father would say the same if he ever sat down with them like this.

She missed them so badly ㅡ do they still hate Ahreum for chasing after her own happiness?

Even so, Ahreum knew she had to move on from it somehow. Now that she was going to have a baby of her own, she's excited to start a family with the love of her life. She couldn't have asked for anything better.

 

Truthfully speaking, Ahreum's been dreaming of this day ever since she started dating Sehun. Its almost surreal to her that they are almost, almost there, on having that picture perfect family portrait of their own.

There are times where she can't help but wonder what the child she's carrying is going to look like. Her mind was always flooded with queries like who's features will they reflect, who's personality would they lean more to but most importantly, is it a boy or a girl? Ahreum has had this talk with Sehun before, and they were honestly excited to welcome either one into their family ㅡ he even jokes about how having twins would be the perfect solution for them; one for Ahreum and one for Sehun.

Together, they'll be one big, happy family.

 

She heaves a dreamy sigh at all the wonderful thoughts inside her head, and a smile forms on Sehun's face just to mirror the small grin plastered on Ahreum's.

"Hey,"

Ahreum slowly closed her eyes to the husky voice whispering in her ear. The hand on her shoulder gave it a gentle squeeze and Ahreum responds with a small hum, wrapping her arms around his torso as they laze away a sunny Sunday in bed.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Sehun adds, earning a hearty chuckle from his wife. Ahreum's actually aware of herself getting frequently lost in her own world, and the sudden surge of hormones wasn't much of a help to the new emotions she'd experience at such random times. Then again, it was nothing too serious and she's certain that this was just another feeling she's supposed to get used to by now.

"Its nothing, honey." she giggles, resting her cheek on his chest.

The moment barely lasted for a minute when a familiar sensation started churning inside her stomach. That queasiness rose to her chest and Ahreum instantly jumped off the bed to rush into the bathroom in a distance.

 

Morning sickness was a regular routine by now, but Ahreum doubts she could ever get used to that nauseaous feeling that drove her senses into an uncomfortable frenzy. Though she wouldn't have to stand in front of the sink for more than a couple of minutes, Ahreum doesn't quite enjoy the lightness her mind falls into once everything has been emptied from her stomach.

She felt faint; almost too weak to even move a muscle and return to bed. The pregnancy really drains away all the energy in her body, yet Ahreum would willingly withstand the occassional palpitations or mild cramps with the thought that these were just another symptom she'd read about in books.

 

She'll get used to it.

Hopefully.

 

"You okay, Mimi?" Sehun asks once she was out and Ahreum responds with a faint nod. She felt too exhausted to even utter a simple word. Ahreum leans against the wall for support ㅡ inhaling deeply through the parting of her lips.

However, a small smile appears on her face when she witnessed Sehun shifting himself into the wheelchair nearby, that too without her assistance. Upon meeting her gaze, Sehun gave her a little smirk.

 

"Told you I got the hang of it,"

He's heading to the cabinet in the corner, humming a cheerful melody as he goes. Sehun is improving a lot recently, both physically and mentally, but Dr. Kyungsoo would still joke about how the baby might be able to walk faster than the father – although its becoming more obvious that Sehun's joints were beginning to respond normally.

Its still good to see how well he's doing.

 

Ahreum soon sat herself on the edge of the bed, watching her husband rummage through the contents of the drawer he pulled as if he was searching for something. Seeing how Sehun got rid of a few folded clothes from the drawer, Ahreum walked towards him thinking he wanted to change into something new.

Before she could get there, Sehun happily exclaimed at the item he found hidden underneath a pile of clothing. Ahreum can't help but raise a curious brow when she hears Sehun murmuring words to himself; she was hoping he would share his hidden treasure with her as well.

 

Once Sehun turned in his wheelchair to face her, Ahreum could feel her whole

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter