fourteen

Hand in Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

fourteen


Hospitals. God knows how much Sehun hates this place right now. They were here again, for a different reason this time, and it was anything but good. Sehun can't seem to get a proper grasp on how all this even happened in the first place. He was mad – furious – at the heavens for taking away what was supposed to be theirs. With the anger, there's an overwhelming sense of despair that consumes him entirely from within ㅡ it comes with the guilt of realising that he wasn't able to be there for Ahreum when she needed him the most.

It was that one point in their marriage where Sehun realised that he failed her.

 

He failed to keep her happy.

 

Failed to keep her safe.

 

Failed to protect her.

 

And the list goes on.

 

This is his fault, that's all he can think of, regardless of any scientific facts the doctor might want to explain to them.

Sehun pays no heed to the people in scrubs that would often walk pass him, masking their concerns from seeing a grown man sniffling into his blood-stained sleeves like a helpless little child. These tears of his won't ever stop falling, but how else was he supposed to express this heavy feeling that washed over him so suddenly? Sehun's never felt so emotionally shaken before; this was definitely the first and he truly hopes it would be his very last time as well.

 

Everything either happened too sudden or too slow, there was merely no in between. At first, Sehun felt like he waited forever for an ambulance to arrive that he even considered calling for Chanyeol's help since he lived the closest to them. Once help really came, the doubt and worries Sehun initally had only became a bitter reality.

Ahreum deserves none of the pain she was forced to face; and if Sehun's already this shattered by the news the doctor came to tell him then he can hardly imagine the hurricane of emotions she's currently going through.

She suffered a miscarriage and they lost the baby ㅡ what more was there to be said or done?

 

He's been desperately wanting to hear what was going on behind the closed doors of the emergency ward Ahreum was admitted to. Its been about an hour or two, and still Sehun wasn't given the permission to see his own wife.

They told him that Ahreum needs a bit more time to process what has happened to her. Sehun had to understand that facing a miscarriage was any woman's worst nightmare, but these people don't seem to understand how badly he wanted to be there for her; more than anyone else. It honestly pains him to think of how she would even react to such a heartbreaking situation, Ahreun was already so attached to the innocent life growing inside her ㅡ then all of a sudden, they've gone so far away.

 

Where did it go wrong?

Everything was almost perfect, how could this happen?

 

"Mr. Oh," he sighs at the voice calling for him and reluctantly lifts his tear stained face to meet the female doctor's pitiful gaze. "Your wife really wants to see you now," she murmurs softly, forcing a smile on her face. Sehun pursed his lips and gave her a firm nod, somewhat thankful of the lady doctor for pushing his wheelchair into Ahreum's ward instead.

The doors were pushed open and the doctor leaves them be. In an instant, Sehun can literally feel himself bleeding through the cracks of his heart at the sight of his beautiful wife staring mindlessly into a corner.

 

His lower lip trembles as he fought the urge to call her name, wanting to greet her with the smile he knew he couldn't give her. Strength was very much needed, but neither of them seemed to have it at the moment. Silence fills the air as Sehun observed every faint movement she made.

Ahreum was on the bed, hugging on her knees to comfort herself after having gone through such a traumatizing experience. The tip of her nose was red and shiny, almost the same as Sehun's, except Ahreum doesn't bother wiping away the warm droplets of water that streamed down her face.

 

Strangely, she feels nothing. Perhaps this was because she already felt everything at one time – from the pain to the devastation ㅡ Ahreum went through it all up to a point she couldn't feel anything else anymore.

She was beyond broken, there can't be any other words to describe how shattered she was of the harsh reality.

The horrible memory was still so clear inside her head, it continues to haunt her as time gradually ticks away. She should've known that something wasn't going right, but she didn't think such complications in her pregnancy would've resulted to this either. If only she consulted a doctor a little earlier, maybe all of this would have never happened?

 

Its a nightmare she knew she would never wake up from. Like the saying goes, the higher you fly the harder you fall ㅡ Ahreum just hit rock bottom, all the way up from cloud nine.

And it hurts, so much.

 

Her mind was still playing games with her heart. An image of the family she could've had keeps flashing inside her head. Before this, it was a dream Ahreum was determined to make it a reality. However, now, that was nothing more than just a blur memory of hers that Ahreum wished to erase.

She knew she went overboard with herself this time. She thought too much, hoped and expected too much ㅡ Ahreum dreamed too big that when something like this happens, it was too difficult for her to accept this.

 

Sometimes, she wished they could've taken her with them.

 

"Darling?" A soft murmur catches her attention and Ahreum slowly turns her head to respond, feeling her heart stop the same time as his when they locked gazes. She blinks, eyeing on the male that approached her in his wheelchair. She slowly tilts her head on her knees and gave him the sweetest smile she could ever muster, hoping it masks all there was to be hidden within herself.

But Sehun knew too well.

He saw right through her.

The quivering of her lips, or the way her shoulders trembled as she bit down her tears, became too clear and almost unbearable for him to witness. When Sehun reaches out his arms to hold her, Ahreum slumps right into his chest. A sob escapes her lips and she squeezed her eyes shut when the misery from a moment ago came hurdling back to her, breaking every last bit of the wall she held up around her.

 

Her shoulders wrack with every sob that forced their way out of , she can feel closing up despite having the urge to scream as her heart ached. Tears bursts forth and Ahreum is gasping for air that was simply not there. The only thing keeping her sane was the soothing sound of Sehun's voice in her ear, though his voice trembled with every shaky breath he inhaled — Sehun was and would always be Ahreum's ultimate source of strength.

"Darling, please don't cry." he whispers shakily, pressing his lips on the side of her face for as long as he could. It pains him to know there was nothing else he could do, and it hurts even more to see the love of his life breaking into pieces right before his two eyes. Sehun gently cups her cheek when Ahreum rested her head on his chest. She heaves an exhausted sigh in return and nuzzles her face deeper in the crook of his neck, not wanting to look up.

 

"How could this happen to us?" She whimpers, fixing her posture to face him fully. Ahreum rubs her swollen eyes and huffs a frustrated breath. "I just don't get it!" There was a hint of anger in her soft voice as Ahreum continued muffling incoherent words to herself.

She wanted nothing more than for this day to end a whole lot faster, just so she could sleep the memory away and wake up pretending as if none of this ever happened. Yet again, all that was easier said than done.

 

Ahreum doesn't know how she'll survive the days ahead of her, especially once the news of this miscarriage would soon be broken off to her in-laws and closest friends, who were equally excited for the birth of their child. It may take ages for her heart to heal, and Ahreum worries she might never be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter