Obstacles of Love

Obstacles of Love

Chapter 9 

 

An eerie silence engulfed the headquarters of Wonder Toys. Every once in a while, muted conversations could be heard among the employees as words got out that their boss was at the attacked building. 

 

Yoona was in Changwook's office, staring at the phone. She wanted to wait for news at his office because it made her feel closer to him. She had ordered everyone to refrained from using the phone, to keep as many lines opened as possible. She had called home and asked their maid to forward all phone calls to the office. 

 

"Yoona, it's getting late. You should rest a little bit. Here, at least drink some of this milk." Yunho advised. He had watched her getting more and more withdrawn as the hours went by and was starting to get really worried. 

 

Yoona ignored him. 

 

"Yoona, Changwook wouldn't want you to be liked this." 

 

"Stopped talking liked he's already dead!" Yoona realized what she just did and immediately apologized, "I'm sorry Yunho Oppa. I know you are trying to helped." Her head was pounding and she unconsciously started rubbing it, "You are a great friend." She tried to smiled. 

 

They both jumped as the phone rang. Yoona stared at it for a second, afraid to picked it up, "Yoona Ji speaking." "Mrs. Ji, I'm calling from Seoul National University hospital. Are you related to Changwook Ji?" 

 

"Yes, I'm his wife. Do you have my husband there? Is he alright?" 

 

"Mrs. Ji, your husband has been admitted here. The doctor requested that you come over right away." 

 

"Wait. How is he?" Yoona asked in a trembling voice. 

 

"I'm very sorry but we aren't allowed to give any information over the phone. Please contact Dr. Cho when you arrived and he will tell you all you need to know." 

 

Yoona stared numbly at the phone. Changwook's at the hospital. That's a positive sign, right? 

 

"I have to go to Seoul National University hospital right away." Yoona almost collapsed when she stood up. 

 

Yunho was instantly at her side, "I will go with you." 

 

Chaos was evident in the hospital. Doctors and nurses alike were desperately trying to cope with the large influx of victims from the bombing incident. Yoona rushed to the front desk, "I need to talked to Dr. Cho." 

 

"Are you here regarding one of the bombing victims?" 

 

"Yes, Changwook Ji." 

 

"One moment please." The harass attendant looked through her files. 

 

That one moment was an eternity for Yoona. She started shouting at the poor attendant, "Will you hurry up?! I need to find my husband!" 

 

"Mrs. Ji, we are all doing the best we can, yelling at me isn't going to do any good." 

 

"Yoona, let me handle this." Yunho calm her. He his charming smiled and sympathized with the attendant, "An awful day, isn't it? You probably haven't had a second to rest since the victims starting coming in." The attendant was please that someone finally understood what she was going through and she was able to find the needed information right away, "Thank you for understanding. Please go to the fifth floor and someone at the nurse’s station can helped you from there." 

 

Yoona was already running towards the elevator before the attendant even had a chance to finished her sentence. Yunho hurriedly called out a thank you and followed. 

 

"I'm Yoona Ji, Changwook Ji's wife! Please tell me what room he's in and I need to see Dr. Cho?!" Yoona immediately demanded, as soon as they reached the station. 

 

"I'm sorry Mrs. Ji, but the doctor is busy attending a patient right now. Please proceed to the waiting area and I will let him know you are waiting for him." 

 

"No, you don't understand! I need to see my husband right away!" Yoona was getting hysterical again. Why won't they, at least, tell her what room Changwook's in? 

 

"Please calm down Mrs. Ji. Being upset isn't helping the situation." 

 

"I want to see my husband now!" Yoona yelled. Yunho was trying to calm her but to no avail. 

 

"What's going on here?" A calm, authoritative voice inquired. 

 

"Dr. Cho. This is Mrs. Yoona Ji, Changwook Ji's wife." The relieved nurse introduced. 

 

"Dr. Cho, please tell me how my husband is? Please tell me where he is?" Yoona begged. 

 

"Yoona, please followed me." They started walking down the corridor, "Your husband's left side of the body received most of the damage. Luckily, he didn't loses any limbs as most of the victims did. He had already gone through an emergency operation and we were able to mend most of his injuries." 

 

Yoona sighed of relief was very audible, "Then he is going to be alright?" She said, with hope glowing in her eyes. The doctor stopped outside a room, "I want you to be prepared with what you will see. For the most part yes, he is going to be alright. You have to understand that your husband was severely injured from the bomb. He is very lucky to be alive." The doctor paused, as if to assess Yoona's condition. He really hated giving bad news, "A shrapnel pierced through his skull and because of its location, we couldn't get it out." 

 

Yoona held her breath, dreading what's going to followed. 

 

"We could leave the foreign body in his brain and hope that someday it would worked itself to an area where we could operate on or performed a very risky operation, one that could cost him his life." 

 

"Just leave the shrapnel in there then." Yoona answered promptly. 

 

"It's not that simple Mrs. Ji." Dr. Cho continued, "Right now, there is a very high probability that he will be blind. Another thing is, the shrapnel could move deeper, at that point, there would be no hope of operating on it and as a result, he will die." 

 

"What kind of time frame are we talking about here?" Yunho took over as Yoona slumped into him from shocked, "We don't know." The doctor answered, as he opened the door leading to Changwook's room. 

 

Yoona rushed in and started crying again, as she saw the state her husband was in. His head was pretty much covered with gauze; his chest was exposed to allowed nature to worked its course in healing his wounds. The left side of his body was almost entirely covered with bandages. 

 

"He is heavily sedated right now and would continued to be so for the next couple of days. I would advice that you visit for no more than half an hour today and come back again tomorrow. What he needs most right now is rest." Yoona was already at Changwook's side. She tenderly held his right hand, careful not to disturbed any of the tubes that were inserted in his arm, her eyes never leaving her beloved husband. 

 

"Thank you for your helped doctor." It was up to Yunho to talked to the doctor now. 

 

"I'm sorry. I don't have better news for you." The doctor said sadly, "I have to go now. There are many more people I have to talked to." 

 

"Such a tragic waste of human lives." Dr. Cho muttered wearily, as he left the room, "Something has to be done to stopped all these terrorists attacks."