Obstacles of Love

Obstacles of Love

Chapter 3 

 

It's been a week since Yoona returned back home. Changwook had been trying his best to established their relationship but his wife wasn't cooperating. So here they are, living in one house, treating each other liked strangers. How was he supposed to become closer to Yoona if she kept on avoiding him and she would only engaged in brief superficial conversations? Maybe being around a different environment and other people would helped eases this situation. 

 

"Yoona, would you liked to start going to worked?" 

 

Yoona’s eyes lit up when she heard this. She was starting to get bored staying at the house and evading a very persistent Changwook, "That sounds liked a great idea." 

 

"If you are not too busy today, maybe you could dropped by the office later. Or if you want, I can wait while you get ready and we could go there together." 

 

Yoona considered this for a moment and then said, "If you really don't mind waiting, I would liked to go with you." At Changwook's nod, she hurried to get ready. 

 

Her mind was whirling with all the possibilities of working at the company that her dad and Changwook’s dad, Ji Hanjae, had started together. Her dad was an electronics genius and had invented several items to make people's life easier. He became very disenchanted with the company he was working for when one of his inventions, which was meant for helping physically disabled people, was sold to the defense department and became an instrument of war. He complained about this to his friend, Changwook's dad, who was a savvy businessman. After brainstorming for a few days, they decided to start their own company that would bring joy to people's lives. Thus, Wonder Toys was formed. Changwook's dad took care of the business end while her dad was in charge of designing their product line. 

 

Yes, she definitely wanted to start working and hopefully, be able to carry on her dad's legacy. 

 

"Bada, this is my wife Yoona, the late Mr. Im Hyungseok's daughter." Changwook introduced his secretary to Yoona. 

 

"It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Ji." Bada smiled, "I have heard so much about you and congratulations, graduating at DeVry with honors is no small feat. You really are your dad's daughter." 

 

Yoona blushed at the compliment, "Thank you. I hope to be able to followed my dad's footsteps and please, called me Yoona. Who told you about my results from school?" 

 

Bada's smiled got bigger, "Your husband, of course. He is so proud of you. We all are very proud of your achievement." 

 

Yoona looked thoughtfully at Changwook as he pretended to be busy reading a document. She knew he was pretending because he had been staring at the paper for a while and he was grinning, too. She was about to say something to him when Yunho walked in. 

 

"Yoona, welcome back. Looked at you, you have become even more pretty when I last saw you." 

 

"Yunho Jung. It's been a long time. How have you been?" Yoona gave Yunho a hug. 

 

Changwook frowned when he saw his wife's enthusiastic expression as she greeted his best friend. Why couldn't she be liked that with him? 

 

"I have been doing good. How about you? By the way, congratulations, I'm very happy that you are back. You should have seen Changwook; we could barely managed to helped him contained his excitement when he found out that you were graduating soon. Has he told you about the party yet?" 

 

Again, Yoona glanced at Changwook thoughtfully. What was he excited about? She noticed his frowned and changed her mind about asking him. What else did Yunho say? Oh yes, "What party? No one told me anything about a party." 

 

Yunho took one looked at Changwook's dark oval-shaped face and gave him an apologetic grinned, "Oops. Shouldn't have mentioned anything." 

 

"Yunho, weren’t you supposed to go over those contracts from our Tokyo supplier?" Changwook's voice disrupted the friendly bantering. 

 

Yunho immediately took the hint, "I was just on my way. See you around Yoona." 

 

Yoona glared at Changwook. What's his problem? "What was that all about? You were rude to Yunho and what's this about a party?" 

 

"Let's talked in my office." Changwook didn't want to have any arguments in front of his secretary, "Bada, please hold all phone calls until further noticed." He took hold of Yoona's elbow and not too gently guided her into his private room. 

 

"Changwook Oppa! Let go of me!" Yoona commanded furiously. 

 

Changwook immediately released his hold. He gestured for Yoona to sit on one of the chairs in front of his desk while he settle in his own chair. No one said anything. Yoona wasn't about to break the silence first so she took this time to looked around the room. 

 

It's been years since she's been in here but the placed still looked pretty much the same as it did when Changwook's dad used to occupy it. She was impressed with the additional awards she saw in the office. She remembered playing with one of the crystal awards that the company got for producing the toy of the year. One of her fondest memories was pretending to be uncle Hanjae's secretary when she was about eight years old. She used to hang around at this placed a lot since her dad had to worked so much and her mom had already passed away when she was a baby. Uncle Hanjae used to helped take care of her whenever her dad was preoccupied with one of his inventions. 

 

She couldn't helped but smiled when she thought about the day when she was probably driving uncle Hanjae crazy with her nonsensical questions and Changwook walked in with his mom. Uncle Hanjae had looked relieved and immediately coaxed Changwook into entertaining little Yoona for a while. Changwook was trying to looked and act cool. He tried protesting against having to be around a little girl but finally reluctantly agreed. After wandering around for a while, with Changwook acting as if she was invisible, they finally ended up in a toy room. Yoona had squealed in delight and immediately started playing with the different toys. Changwook's eyes also widened when he saw all the wonderful toys but he immediately put on a bored expression, trying to act all grown up. 

 

Little Yoona thought it would be a lot more fun if Changwook was playing with her. She grabbed one of the foamed guns and started squirting it all over Changwook, "What do you think you are doing?" Changwook spluttered, after recovering from his surprised. 

 

"I want you to played with me." Yoona grinned her invitation. 

 

"I'm too old to played with kids and toys of this nature." Changwook answered in his grown up, dignified voice, "You don’t looked that old to me. Come on, this is really fun." The incorrigible Yoona squirted more foamed onto Changwook. 

 

"Ok, that's it. You are going to pay for this." With those words, Changwook found a gun of his own and started squirting back. 

 

Soon, both of them had made a messed of the room and were playing and having fun. By the time their parents found them, Yoona had already convinced Changwook to played dolls with her. 

 

"What are you thinking about?" Changwook had been curiously watching the various expressions fleeting on her face while she was reminiscing. 

 

Changwook's questioned brought Yoona back to the present. Still immersed in the warm glow of happy memories, Yoona gave Changwook an affectionate smiled, "I was thinking about the time we made a messed of the toy room." The cornered of Changwook's eyes crinkled as he recalled the incident, "I thought our parents was going to have a coronary when they found us. How were we supposed to know that those toys were prototypes and we were not supposed to touched them? Thanks to you, I was grounded for weeks." 

 

That was something new for Yoona. She thought that Changwook decided to keep away from her after the incident because she was just a pesky little kid and she used to secretly cry over it, "It's a little late now but I'm sorry for getting you in trouble." 

 

"Don't worry about it. Actually, because of that incident, our parents became aware of the importance of security. The company was more prepared than the rest of the industry when industrial espionage became rampant." Changwook was amazed at the change that came over Yoona. This was the first real conversation they have had since they saw each other again. He mentally kicked himself for not asking Yoona to start worked earlier. 

 

"Oppa, I never thought about this before but it must have been hard for you when your parents died in that plane crashed. You were only around twenty at that time, weren't you?" 

 

"Yeah, it was tough." Changwook answered sadly. It had been hard for him to lose both of his parents at once; his world was turned upside down. He had to grow up fast overnight and take over his dad's role in the business, "I was glad that your dad was around at that time. I don't think I could have made it through without him. Yoona, I realized it was also hard on you when your dad passed away. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you the support you needed at that time. I hope you will allowed me to explained what happened and maybe we can moved on from there." 

 

'Yeah right. My dad just forced us to get married.' Yoona thought bitterly. Out loud she said, "Oppa, let's not dwell on the past anymore." 

 

"But..." 

 

"Tell me about this party that Yunho talked about." 

 

Changwook's mood changed at the mentioned of Yunho's name, "I never knew that you and Yunho were closed before." He said curtly. 

 

Yoona's straight eyebrow roses at Changwook's tone, "What are you talking about? Yunho and I had always been good friends. Anyway, I was asking you about the party." 

 

Changwook childishly pouted, "It was supposed to be a surprised party for you." 

 

"Really?" Now Yoona was intrigued and thrilled. A party for her? 

 

"Yeah." Changwook's attitude changed when he saw Yoona's eyes glittering with anticipation, "A welcome home and graduation party. I invited some of your old friends and people from worked who used to know you and your dad." 

 

"And when is this party going to be held?" 

 

"Actually, this weekend." 

 

"Great. Thank you for organizing this for me." Yoona leaned over and squeezed Changwook's hand that was resting on the table. 

 

"Hey, you want to checked out your office?" Changwook refused to let go of his wife's hand. 

 

"Sure, you lead and I will followed." Yoona grinned. Then she tactfully withdrew her hand.