Obstacles of Love

Obstacles of Love

Chapter 2 

 

Changwook helped himself to the mini bar at his plushed hotel room. After mixing himself a drink, he tiredly sat down on the bed. It's been a long day and he was drained. He was hoping that Yoona would be more receptive to him after three years but if anything, she was even more aloof. 

 

Three years was a long time. Maybe he should have handled the situation differently. It seem liked only yesterday when Yoona's dad, who also happened to be Changwook's partner, approached Changwook with his dying wished, "Yoona will be all alone. She is an heiress and there would be a lot of unscrupulous people eyeing her fortune. Changwook, I have a request." Yoona's dad, Im Hyungseok, had said, "I want you to marry my daughter and take good care of her. I know I can trust you." 

 

Changwook was taken by surprised at this requests. His first instinct was to say no. There were other ways to take care of Yoona but in the end, he couldn't refused the man who had been liked a father to him. Yoona had protested vehemently but she too, finally reluctantly agreed so that her dad could rest in peace. 

 

The marriage was a dismal sham right from the very beginning. Yoona had been too young and immatured while Changwook who was only twenty-six at that time, three years her senior, had been too busy running the business and struggling to protect the company from hostile takeovers to give his bride the attention she deserved. 

 

This result in lots of arguments and added pressures that the couple couldn't managed. Yunho Jung, Changwook's best friend and assistant saw how this was ruining their lives and he couldn't keep quiet any longer, "Changwook, Yoona is a very smart girl and I think it's a good idea to encouraged her to finished her studies so that she can followed her dad's footsteps. This will also buy you time to get things settled at the company and for Yoona to grow up some more." 

 

Changwook had been too weary to think anymore. He followed his friend's advice. Yoona got herself into DeVry’s University Electronics Engineering program. Their communication for the last three years had been limited to sporadic phone calls and stilted birthday greetings. Without Yoona's knowledge, Changwook had hired some people to watched over her and to make sure she was safe. Through this, Changwook had also been aware that Yoona started to participate in dangerous activities liked parachuting, hang gliding and car racing. 

 

Changwook sighed. At this moment, Yoona was hanging out with her friends. She refused to even have dinner with him. He finally grudgingly admitted to himself, "Great going Changwook, you really messed this one up, big time. You had better get a hold of the situation before your cute wife ends up killing herself." 

 

Yoona punched her pillow again. She was mad. Mad at her situation, mad at her dad for forcing her into this situation and mad at Changwook for being in this situation with her. Her friends were out celebrating without her. She wasn't in a party mood and had opted to stayed in her apartment. 

 

Three years. She poured her heart and soul into studying, fighting to forget her marriage to Changwook. Deep down, she had been painfully aware that all this was only a temporary escaped and she had to face her life again, “Daddy, why did you have to forced us to get married? All I wanted was to marry a man I would fall in loved with, a man who would loved me back. Now, I’m stuck with a man who doesn't care about me." She cried. 

 

She recalled her wedding day. At first, she was hopeful. She held onto the dream that maybe things would still worked out. Changwook had always been nice and attentive to her but reality came crashing down right after the wedding ceremony when her husband had left her to go back to worked and after that, they barely managed to spend time together and most of those times resulted in arguments, fostering more bitterness. The last straw was when Changwook suggested that she finished her studies. 

 

Ever since that day, part of her had started dying. It became obvious that she was nothing but an unwanted burden to Changwook and then she discovered the thrilling sensation of participating in dangerous sports. The adrenalin flowing through her veins during those moments made her forget about everything, made her feel alive for a fleeting instant and now, her reprieve was over. It was a shocked to see the man who was very much part of her life and yet still a stranger. Yoona closed her eyes as she determinedly stamped the flickered of hope that was starting to flared within her when she saw Changwook again. 

 

"What now Changwook Oppa?" She whispered.