Obstacles of Love

Obstacles of Love

Chapter 13 

 

"I have had it with you two!" Yunho yell in frustration, after two grueling hours of discussion that was fast going nowhere, "Changwook, you are blocking every suggestion I make! If you don't want me in this project, just say so!" Then he turns and unleashes the rest of his anger onto Yoona, "And you! You have added nothing constructive to this meeting at all! All you have been doing is provoking Changwook with every word you speak! I know everyone is tense right now but we are running out of time. The prototype for project 93 is almost complete. We still have to go over the market analysis and our budgeting requirements." Yunho, after his initial outburst, was calmer this time. 

 

Changwook and Yoona, taken aback by Yunho's eruption, remain quiet. Both were too embarrassed to say anything. 

 

Yunho looks at his two closest friends. He knew they were having serious problems; only a total idiot could miss that, "Listen you two. Why don't you take some time off? Spend some quality time together, do something fun. One thing for sure, neither of you are of any help in the office right now." He gathers up all the documents they had been working on and headed for the door, "One more thing, I know I shouldn't into your relationship but you two really need to talk things over before your problem gets even worse." 

 

Changwook heard the door close behind his friend. He knew that everything Yunho said was true. He had been behaving irrationally. For the most part, working again, wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Actually, he was secretly glad that his wife forces him into going to the office again. It relieves his boredom and made him feel useful again, but he couldn't help but feel jealous over Yoona and Yunho's working relationship. Granted, there was nothing going on between them and the only reason why they have been together so much was that of the almost complete project but he still resented the fact that his wife would consult his friend before talking to him. 

 

Yoona stares at her husband, wondering what was going through his mind. Communication between the two of them was practically non-existent nowadays. The only time she could provoke some reaction from Changwook was when she taunted him to anger. Yunho was right. It was time to talk this over. 

 

"Yoona/Changwook Oppa." They said at the same time. 

 

"Go ahead," Changwook said. 

 

Yoona was reluctant to start a serious conversation after what just happen, instead, she suggested, "I think it would be nice if we could take a stroll at the park. Get some fresh air." She senses Changwook's hesitancy, "Come on Oppa, there won't be a lot of people there right now and it's such a beautiful day." She tugs at his arm. 

 

Changwook finally nodded. He stood up and reach for his cane, "After you." He loath having to walk around with a cane but it was a necessary evil. 

 

"Oppa, Yunho is right. We have to talk." Yoona resisted her urge of holding Changwook's arm while they were walking at the park. 

 

"I know. How can we allow things to become this bad, Yoona?" 

 

"I guess we are both too stubborn, each wanting to do things our own way." Yoona smile, "If my dad was here right now, he would probably lock me up in my room and make me think things over before letting me out again." 

 

"Does it work?" 

 

"What?" 

 

"Locking you up in your room." Changwook question half-seriously. Yoona couldn't hold in her laughter, "Don't go getting any ideas, Mr. Ji. Only my dad could do that to me and get away with it." 

 

Changwook smile and held out his hand. Yoona was surprised at this gesture but cheerfully clasp it, "You are right. We are both too stubborn for our own good. Yoona, I know I'm not doing anything to make this easier on you. It's just that I'm having a hard time dealing with my blindness. I hate it that we are drifting apart." His grip tightens, "I love you with all of my heart. Please be patient with me?" "Oh Oppa, I love you so much. I hate what's been happening to us, too." She sob, "I promise to be more understanding." They stop and hug each other tightly. It didn't seem to matter that they were in the middle of the park and people were gawking at them. It's been so long since they have had any peace between them. It was heavenly to be in each other's arms again. 

 

Nothing more was said as they walk hand in hand. They listen to the birds singing, people chatting and children playing. After a while, "Oppa, there's a kiosk over there. I'm thirsty. Do you want something to drink?" "Actually, I wouldn't mind some soda." 

 

"Why don't you wait here while I go get us something to drink?" Yoona led Changwook to a shaded area, "Just wait here. I will be right back." And ran towards the drink stand. 

 

Changwook's head snapped up as he heard a commotion coming from the direction where Yoona was headed, "Yoona?!" He yells worriedly. She didn't answer. He could tell that something was wrong by the tone of people's voices, "Yoona!" He tried to rush over to the general direction of where the disturbance was coming from but he kept on getting bumped by the rushing crowd and ended up tripping over something. A good Samaritan helped him up, "Please tell me what's going on over there?" Changwook pointed towards the din. 

 

"Some lady got knock over by a soccer ball." The person answer, "Yoona!" Changwook was frantic with worry, "Please help me over there? I think that person might be my wife." "Oppa, are you alright?" Yoona ran towards him. 

 

The person answer for him, "You must be the wife he's worried about. See, no problem. Your wife is back safe and sound." Changwook reaches his hand out for Yoona. 

 

"Thank you so very much for your assistance." Yoona expresses their gratitude after seeing Changwook's pale face. 

 

"No problem. Just be careful in the future. This crowd gets a little rowdy every once in a while." With those parting words and a smile, the person left them alone. 

 

"Oppa, it's ok now. Nothing happens." 

 

"Why didn't you answer when I call you?" Changwook asks worriedly. 

 

"I'm sorry but I didn't hear you because of all the commotion. I tried to get back as soon as I could." Yoona console when Changwook still grips her hand tightly, "Here, I got your soda." 

 

"I don't want it." He threw the drink on the ground, "Let's go home." 

 

"Yoona, I made up my mind. I want to go ahead with the operation." Changwook said, later that evening when he and Yoona were about to turn in for the night. 

 

"But..." 

 

"You could have been seriously hurt this afternoon and I couldn't even get to you." Changwook could still feel his panic from the park incident, "I can't go on like this." 

 

"But it's too dangerous. I don't want to lose you." Yoona lovingly caresses Changwook's short dark brown hair. 

 

"I know how you feel and that's the only thing that's been stopping me from going ahead with the procedure." Changwook held Yoona close to him, "I have been doing some research and consulting with Dr. Cho." He finally confesses, "There's a doctor in Taipei that specializes in dealing with my condition. I want to go see him." Yoona stiffens, "Oppa, you admitted that you know how I feel about this and yet you still insist on going ahead with the operation. I think you are being selfish." 

 

"Yoona, please don't be like this? I love you and wouldn't want to do anything to hurt you but I couldn't go on like this. Right now, I'm asking for your support." No more frills or beating around the bushes, Changwook finally open up to his wife. 

 

"I...I don't think I could support something that might kill you." Yoona whispers sadly. 

 

"I hate to say this but I think you are the one who is being selfish. Would you rather see me in misery when I have a chance to overcome this blindness?" 

 

Was she being selfish in not wanting her husband to risk his life? Yoona didn't know anymore, "Oppa, I can't think anymore. All I know is that I can't bear the thought of losing you."