Ch. 4

Appearance

We both came back on time to class from buying snacks from the school’s canteen. And out of nowhere, Amber rushed into our class, accidently hit Sunny and then smiling awkwardly.

“Sorry. I thought I was going to be late”

Sunny nod letting her walks away. I told Sunny that I want to talk toAmber for a minute, she gave another nod.

“Amber wait! I want to ask you something” I caught up with her. This girl could be my gold treasure.

“Hm? Shoot”

Time to start pretending you know nothing about Taeyeon, Tiffany. “So, I saw this girl on TV. She sang a song called Gemini. I think her name is... Taeyeon?” I don’t know if I’m right, but I think Amber’s eyes widened in a millisecond.

“..Er, do you know her?”

“YES. I DO KNOW HER. SHE’S MY ULTIMATE BIAS”

Hm. Okay. What is ‘bias’ exactly? how to pronounce it? is this some kind of Korean word I don’t understand? I should act like I know Korean stuffs!

“Bias? Y-yeah. She’s my bias too. Erm, ultimate?” What?

“Gurl, I didn’t even know you were a Kpop fan! We should hang out sometimes!Aigoo~”

What the hell is Aigoo?

“Yeah, sure. Anyway, tell me something about her. I’m intrested the first time I watched her doing live peformance on somekind of show. I don’t remember”

“Okay, okay. You better listen to me carefully. Because this girl I’m going to talk about, is really DAEBAK!!”

Oh my god, what are you saying again? Daebak?

“So Taeyeon is actually from America. She moved out to Korea when she was still 16 and became SM entertaiments trainee. She uploaded a video that shows her covering a song and someone from SM went to her and asked her to join an audition”

“What audition? What video?”

“SM audition. It’s held anually. I don’t know about the video though, they said she deleted it as soon as she uploaded it”

“Okay, so what happened after she joined?”

“She got in and took about 6 years being a trainee. SM wanted her to become a solo artist from the beginning”

That’s good to know. But I need to know more about her life, her career part could wait. “And she left with whom? Family?”

Amber flicks her finger, “Right! There’s something off about her family! She never lets media found out about it. Strange, right? She said herself that she’s been living a hard life. Maybe her family was not really that nice to her. She has an older brother so maybe she went to Korea with him-maybe”

That. That makes sense. She and Haesung left their family here. I knew it. That’s why when Taeyeon was missing, I couldn’t find her and her brother when I visited their house 6 years ago. I only found their drunk dad and only god knows where her mom was. But, how? So they both lived together there in America since then? Two teenagers with no money? What?

“Netizen also said Taeyeon was not a good girl when she was a kid”

I furrowed my eyebrows, “Why?”

Amber lifts up her arms and pointing at her upper elbow, “If you look closely on Taeyeon’s elbow, there’s a tattoo on it. She had it when she was so young”

I stopped breathing. I remember.

Serenity.

 

“Taeyeon are you an idiot or something? You could get banned from school if the teachers find out that you have a tattoo”

She playfully shrug, “I don’t care. I like it”

“Taeyeon...”

“Tiffany,”

Taeyeon tilted her head, facing up seeking for the other girl’s expression. Taeyeon felt small when she guessed it right. The girl doesn’t like the idea of Taeyeon having a tattoo, her eyesmile are nowhere to be seen. They’re gone.

“I’m sorry. Are you scared of me now?”

She shook her head, “No. Of course not, silly”

Taeyeon wrapped her arms around the girl, somehow making the other girl less worried. “I know you don’t like me having one. But my life is already at its worst. Getting a tattoo won’t get me any more trouble,” she loosen her arms and pat the girl’s shoulder twice. “Besides, it’s not like you’re the one who’s going to get scolded at”

“Silly. That’s not what I care about” the girl reply makes Taeyeon grinning like an idiot. She rolled her eyes, but smiled too, seeing Taeyeon being stupid.

“Whatever. Which one do you like? I think butterfly looks nice on you”

“Yeah. Maybe. But I prefer word tattoos. Like this one,” Taeyeon pointed.

She smirked, “You have a good taste,”

“I know. It’s beautiful”

“Where are you going to put it?”

“Here,” Taeyeon shows her elbow, “I bet it’s gonna look cool”

She chucled while touching Taeyeon’s soft pure white skin, which is not going to be ‘innocent’ soon. And to remember that, a little part of the girl’s heart torn down. Taeyeon is just innocent. But now, everything that makes Taeyeon happy, should always make herself happy as well. She promised herself.

"I think so too"

 

I sigh.

I want to hear what Taeyeon has been doing since the time I lost her, but we had to stop the conversation because the bell tells us that break time is up. I hid my disappointment and said thanks to Amber. We all took a seat when the next proffesor came. The lecture started, but I couldn’t help myself letting my thoughts wandering off.

When I came home and was just going to rest on my bed, I just realized that there’s so many text messages I missed today. All of them are from my friends from highschool. Each one of them asks about Taeyeon.

So they’re all already know. Some boys said that Taeyeon’s really hot now. Some asked me if that’s true. I replied, ‘I dont know. I just knew too’ because all of these things surprises me as much as it surprises them.

I called my mom and told her everything that night. She knows how much I miss Taeyeon, but she told me to rest first and asked me if I have a free time tomorrow so I could come to visit and tell her everything from the beginning. Including the plan.

I thanked her for accompany me and then I put down my phone. Slowly, the weight on my head flies away as I falling slowly in my deep sleep, secretly hoping that everything was just a dream.