Ch. 7

Appearance

Never thought that time could pass so fast, it’s like two minutes ago I was having lunch that Sunny bought for me, then in a blink of an eye the sun is gone. Lesser people came to the cafe until now there’s nobody out there having their meal. They’re probably already at home, ready to sleep or some are still watching Tv, while me and Sunny are still tidying this place and washing these empty plates. I guess the other waitresses went home not so long ago.

“Great. I’ve wiped all the tables, swept the floor, and when you’re done with the dishes, we’re good to go”

I nod. “Wait up. I’m almost done”

“You’re not gonna study when we get back,right?” Sunny sits on the chair with my books on her hand and flipps it without reading. “You must be so tired from all of this. Just by looking it I’m like... ew”

“Nope. that,” I breath out after washing this last plate, feeling like I’ve done a great job. “I’m going to sleep after this”

She close the book and the silence starts. As if she wants to say something while her eyes are directed into me, but something holds her back. I keep wandering from place to place to finish my job while she’s waiting for me at the corner near the white refrigerator we keep the milk cold. Speaking of cold, maybe that’s what she think of me the whole time. What can I say? It’s been a tough day.

“Tiff”

“Hm?”

“There’s something I want to talk about,” she rest her head on her forehand. “I don’t know if it helps or not, but...”

I wash my hands and wipe it with a towel then I stand infront of the sink, unmoving-I’m not zoning out, it’s just feel a little nicer to watch nothing when I’m kind of stressed out.

“I know it’s not my right to say that you have to tell me what’s going on with you. Some of it are secrets and I respect it, but you don’t have to bear with this alone. You have me, even though as you said before that I probably won’t understand, I’ll try. Just, I want you to know, if you call, I’d pick up the phone right away”

I smile a little as a return. I hope it’s okay for Sunny, I hope she knows the smile is enough as it is a shorter answer that everything’s fine, or it’s going to be.

After I take off my apron, I grab my book from Sunny’s hand. “Come on. Let’s go”. She stands up then she goes to the table on the corner of the kitchen where her bag’s at, but then a single noise from the front room stopped me from moving.

I didn’t hear it wrong. The bell on the door clearly just rang. There’s only me and Sunny here at this place so there’s no way anything could make any sound but us, except someone just got inside from outside, and to add, so late at night. I look at Sunny, and I know she heard it too.

I narrow my eyes. “Didn’t you turn the sign?”

“I did. I swear I did”

Even if she did turn the ‘open’ sign, that doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t get in. We’re still in here so this place is not locked yet.

“Or maybe they just can’t read. Wait here, I’ll go check.”

“Alright. Try not to be so mean though.” I smirk.

When Sunny walks out, I move myself closer to the thin wall to hear their conversation without beeing seen. Well, aside to do this, I honestly want to know how they’d react to what Sunny’s going to say, which I know very well that it won’t be very friendly.

“Excuse me, sir. But I think it’s obvious that we’re closed. Didn’t you see the sign on the front door?”

Damn, straight as . I can guess what expression that person has on his face.

 

Come on. I just want to get some water, why can’t you serve me some?

 

I jolted before me knowing. So fast I run outside and my eyes widden with the view infront of me. Sunny stares at me with her confused look, then the guy notice where she’s starring at. He turns his head and then he show off the sickest grin I’ve ever seen in my life.

Seeing him there infront of Sunny, inside this cafe, just a few meters away from me makes it feel like my nightmares has finally come into my real life. It feels so strange. I feel unstable seeing him there. Like I want to be mad so much and some part of me is telling me to just stay away from him. The rage is here inside my chest, building itself with hatred, yet I choose not to let it grow anymore as I form a fist to calm myself down.

Sunny frowns by the corner of my eye,“Tiff? Who’s this guy? Have you met-,”

He waves his hand to Sunny, signalling her to walk away. “You know what? This is between me and that friend of yours over there. So if you don’t want to serve me a glass of water, you better be gone from my sight”

I can’t believe after all this years he hasn’t changed a bit. I want to dig my nails on his throat so bad until he screams and I know Sunny wants to do the same thing to him after he said those things.

“Come on. Why are you standing here? Are you deaf?”

Sunny froze a little then she glance on me. Her fist is ready. She knows something bad is happening. But she doesn’t know what kind of relationship he had with me. She slowly walks back, and when we pass each other, she catches my arm. But she doesn’t say anything.

I nod slowly, assuring her I get her warning a hundred percent. Then she let go off my arm and vanish behind the kitchen. So now it’s just me and him on this room.

“Wow, look at you. You’ve changed so much! What happened to you?”

I pull the chair and sit, trying so hard not to lose control of myself.

“You don’t have to try caring, you never care.”

He laugh. So loud, that his voice echoing from walls to walls. “Come on, don’t be like that. I still like you. I even changed for you. Can’t you see what I’m wearing? I look different, right?”

“ you.”

He lower his head, laughing a little like a mad psycho. My god. I want to punch him so bad. “Oh my, look what you make do. You make me fall in love with you again,” He smirks. “I miss your voice”

Sunny must’ve been listening to our conversation from the beginning. I can’t let him talk no more. He needs to get out of this place.

“You never misses me. I know you’re here because you want something from me. So stop bulling and spit it out”

“Right. I’ll do anything for you, baby,” I gritted my teeth.

“Remember those times when you used to see me after you went home from school? Those were the times I felt like the happiest ever. My boys are boring and life, for me is boring. But you? You came and then we hang out together and it felt so unique. You, are different than anybody I know”

He lean himself against the chair, while letting out a heavy sigh. “But then you suddenly gone. You never visited me anymore. Everyday I hope you’d come back and we’d hang out like we usually do but you were nowhere to be seen. So I decided to find you, and holy mother of god, I found you”

I swing my palm on the table as hard as I could, “That was not what you called hang out. If only you could find a moment to fix your ed up mind instead of finding me then you’ll realize what we had was not healthy and to be ing honest with you, those were the times that I felt disgusted in myself the most!”

Great.

Control yourself, Tiffany Hwang.

“Oh wow. Is that how you meet an ex?” He smirks. “Don’t lie to my face, Tiffany. I know you think of me sometimes in the nights before you go to sleep. You just act like you don’t like it but I remember clearly on my mind how much you wanted me to be together with you-” He moves closer, “Alone.”

He shouldn’t be here. I need to get him out, or else Sunny will know everything.

My head fall hanging. Regret is what running inside my head-I shoudn’t be talking much because that wouldn’t solve the problem. It only making things worse. He never accept someone else point of view, he’s just an abnormally, talented stonehead piece of .

“How did you know I work here?” my voice is so low, almost like I’m mumbling and he must be thinking he just won the mini debate.

“It doesn’t matter. The only thing you need to know is that I’ve put a lot effort to see you here, uhm, working in this...cafe?” he glances the surroundings, as if he’s wondering why I should work in such a place. “Man, I need a lot of catch up. You work on this place? As a ing waitress? Out of everyone, people like you?”

“No. It does matter,” he furrows his eyes.

“What?”

“Yes. I went away suddenly without telling you that I moved to another city so I could think about my life and future. I went far away from home. Then you’re here telling me that it doesn’t matter how you know I work here? Isn’t that strange?”

I straigten my back. “You don’t love me. At all. You’re not well, because maybe you have this sick obsession that has been living inside you since we were kids. You’re sick, Jackson.”

“So don’t tell me you miss me and try flattering me and , no. I don’t need that. Just leave me the alone and bother someone else who lost their mind as much as you lost yours”

He grabs my hand. Harshly, as I could feel the pain spreading. His strength feels like it’s going to rip my bones and broke it. Automatically I see his furious face, and behind him, there’s Sunny watching me with a phone on her ear. She can’t see him crushing my hand, but she can see me trying to conceal the pain.

“Listen, . What more should I tell you that I really want you back into my life? I’ve done anything for you and what did you repay me? We promised each other, remember?”

“J-jack...let g-go-,”

He doesn’t stop, instead he increases his grip on my hand. If he go further, I believe my hand would break like a pile of a thin wood stick.

“This is your fault. It won’t be like this if you didn’t make things so hard. So what’d you say? You better say yes and not making my trip all the way here to find you for nothing. Don’t you dare say ing no.”

“Let me go-”

He stands up, pulling my wirst like he really care how much it hurts,“Get up”

Another force, now that he doesn’t mind how loud the noice he makes, from the chair moving, the table shaking and the punches I land on his arm that feels nothing on him, until he moves his hand from my wirst to the back of my head, grabbing my hair between his fingers while the other hand aggresively reaches out for my hand, trying to lead me the way up.

“I said get the up” He said low and threatening under my ear.

Then that moment I realized that he’s right. He changed. Into an animal, a beast, with nothing good in him only violence and vulgar. This is worse that I thought and got me wondering if he ever someone. It’s not impossible.

I close my eyes. After that I feel the pain on my hand gone. When I open my eyes, Jackson was thrown down to the floor. The chair he just sat on also fell to the ground, as someone just pulled him back with force.

Jackson seems really shocked with what happened, he stands up, turn his way to his back and somehow after a loud sound he’s back to the floor with his nose bleeding. He looks so in pain.

I stand up knowing this is my chance to run away from him. There I see a man which is so familiar to me. He looks so angry with Jackson, as he pull him up from the floor by his collar.

“Get out of my place and never come back. If I see you around, I’ll beat the out of you”

He throws Jackson out of the cafe just like a piece of trash. He run to the street in hurry, where his big motocycle parked. It’s so strange for me to see him like that. I’ve never seen him being so scared before. He’s gone with black USV car following him from behind, while this happening, I could only watch.

Sunny came to me running, then she grab my arms. “Holy ! That was crazy. Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah. I’m fine” We called that bull, of course I’m not fine. She scan all over my body from head to toe then she catch my arm. Awaken from frozing out, I also notice my wirst.

“Oh my god. This won’t look good in the morning...”

I shakes my head, “That’s alright. It’ll heal, don’t worry”

Sunny exhaled a deep breath, “Thanks for helping us out, Jett. I can’t imagine what would happen if you’re not here. You came right in time”

Jett nods then he turns away. A smile appears on his lip a little and then he notices my hand, the bruise Jackson left on my left wrist. “I just don’t understand with men who hurt women. What was he thinking?”

I shrug. “He’s just one of my ex. A crazy one”

“Deffinitely,” He shakes his head, “Come on. I’ll take you both to your place”

“Thanks”

I reach for my books and put them on my bag, then I walk along with Sunny next to me to Jett’s car. We don’t speak much, especially me. Sunny must’ve got questions inside her head but knowing my conditions she choose to keep it to herself for a while. The only thing that come out of is just three words.

“What a day”

[]

“So, babe, how’s it going?”

I stop. “What?”

“I’m asking if your day so far is okay or not. You look so cute though,” Nickhun smiles, he pinch my cheek a little.

“I’m doing fine. What is it?”

He glance down while scratching the back of his neck,“It’s just, you’ve been acting strange these days. I don’t remember since when you prefer...dating your books than me-,”

Oh. .

I closed the book immediately.“What? No! Of course not-,” He raised his eyebrows. “Alright. Yes. I’m sorry, Nic. I’m just worry about the test”

“What for? We still got plenty of time.”

I bit my lip. Yeah, you know nothing actually. “I just want to have good grades, you know. It’s the last written test and I don’t want to fail. I want it to be perfect.”

“Which you will, babe. I know you’re gonna nail the test, everybody know you’re a genius,” He put his hands on top of mine, grabbing them a little maybe to give me a little confidence. “You’ve studied a lot, but now it’s time for you to get rest. Don’t worry too much, okay?”

“Yeah, okay” I smile. “...Sorry”

He chucles. “It’s fine. Let’s just-,”

I look down. To my pocket where my phone is at, ringing loud out of nowhere. “Oh.” Apparently, it’s Jett who’s ruining the date other than myself.

“I’m sorry, again,” He nod, lifelessly. It’s funny to see him when he’s a bit dissapointed, I just wanna laugh about it.

“Hey”

“Hi. How are you feeling? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, thanks. You?” I glance up my way to Nickhun. He’s not gonna like it if I’m talking to Jett, luckly he’s starring at the window, means he can’t hear what we’re talking about.

“I’m well. Uh, I just want to let you know that the new girl is here. It’s her first day of training today and she’ll be ready to work next week to cover your place for a while. I haven’t told her that you’ll be gone for a month because we still don’t know what we’re gonna do when you’re back, but we’ll figure it out later. Just letting you know that.”

“Great. I’ll be on my way”

“What?”

“What?”

Wow. Double kill. Double questions.

“What do you mean you’ll be on your way? Where are you going?” Uh-oh. He’s so unhappy to hear that.

“Who’s that? Is that your boyfriend? Damn. Sorry to interupt you two”

Oh boy, this is ridiculous. What kind of talking is this.

I place my hand on Nickhun’s. “Babe. Wait, okay?”

“But...”

“Yeah, it’s not that I don’t want you here but you just almost got taken away by that freak. I don’t think it’s a good idea to come here, like, we don’t know if he’s still around or not to get you”

“It’s fine. I promised, remember? Anyway, don’t worry about that guy. He won’t dare coming into your place. It’s been two days, right?”

“Fine. Just be safe, okay? Call me if you see him on the street.”

“Sure. Thanks. Bye”

I exhaled as I put my phone back to where it was. I’m not worrying about meeting Jackson out of nowhere, instead after the call I get nervous all of the sudden cause I hear no words coming out of Nickhun’s mouth. When I look up, his eyes are already questioning me along with his lips that keep repeating the same movement creating the word ‘what’ and I wonder what should I tell him after this.

“You’re leaving...?”

Pft. He’s so funny. “Yeah...sorry. I promised my boss I’ll help him finding a new recruitment at his cafe. But I swear I don’t know that it’s going to be today”

“But we just ordered the food!”

I stand up, and kiss his cheek. “Which is why I’m gonna go to the counter and tell them I cancel my lunch. Bye babe. Love you!” I wave to him while walking to the door. Still holding my laugh seeing him like that. Poor Nichkun.

[]

I glance around, and I think it’s pretty safe around here. It’s 2 pm, and a lot of people walking from street to street. Maybe they think I’m weird because I stare each of their faces just in case I meet Jackson on my way to Jett’s cafe, but I guess he’s not here. Even if he’s dumb from birth he wouldn’t make a fuss in crowdness.

Then my phone vibrates inside my pocket. Sunny is on the call, waiting to be picked up.

“Hey, sunshine”

“Hey. Uhm, are you on your way to Jett’s place?”

“Yeah, how’d you know?”

“Jett called. You know I would’ve come too if I don’t have to-,”

“No. It’s okay. You have to be there. The show is important to you. You can’t miss it!”

“Yeah, but what about your ex?”

“He’s not here. I don’t see him around. Relax, everything’s okay”

“Okay, but please, if you see him, go find help. Don’t talk to him when you’re alone, okay?”

I push Jett’s cafe front door, and a bit surprised to see there’s not so many people inside. And I don’t see Jett and the new girl here, just a few of Jett’s employee standing around unbusy.

“Got it.”

“Also, don’t forget you have and apointment with your therapist today. I’ll tell you what, the show’s gonna be over at five, so I’ll pick you up later at Jett’s place and we’re gonna go there together. How’s that?”

“Splendid. Thanks, Sunny”

“Okay. See you soon”

“Bye”

I put my phone back down just the time Rocky walks heading to the table on the corner near the front door with the menu she holds, swinging back and forth, showing how punk she really is, matches with those piercings on her nose and ears. Not often to see her working here, since we’re not in the same shift.

“Hey,” I wave my hand trying to get her attention “Hey, Rocky!”

“Yeah?” She turns, her face seems plain as always. I’m not surprised.

“Have you seen Jett?”

“Nope. Don’t know where he is” She walks away after a shrug. “Why should I know?”

I frown. That helps. Wonder why Jett’s still hiring this girl. “...Okay. Thanks”

I move myself closer to the door, looking out the window a couple times to search for Jett and the new girl, who maybe out there walking side to side on their way here, but maybe I’m too early. Feeling a little tired to stand while there’s plenty of empty chairs, I take the nearest and accidently hear Rocky and that young girl conversation.

“Alright. Here’s the menu”

“Oh-no. Sorry, I don’t actually want to order anything”

Rocky curls her eyebrows. “Then why bother coming here?”

“Well, I-” she got cut off when Rocky throws her hands on the air. Such an interesting thing to watch, this view.

“You know what? Whatever. Please yourself”

I raised my eyebrows. Rocky walks away later on which leads me to glance at the young girl and the expression she has on her face is indeed shocked as she blinks a couple times and starts fidgeting. Poor girl. That atitude was very unnecessary, I feel really bad for her. Especially because she’s still young, she must be very surprised to hear that from an adult.

“Don’t mind her,” She look at me. “She’s always like that. It’s like she hates working here, you know?”

Her gaze stayed for a second until she looks carefully behind her back, then she turns back facing me, probably wondered if I’m talking to someone else near her or not. The girl stays silent after giving me a tiny smile and then she lowers her head, playing with her fingers. A very shy person, I suppose.

“Are you waiting for someone?” I decided to ask.

She nods before she peek with a short glance, then I nod back as a return. I didn’t continue speaking, knowing she’s not very into it with a complete stranger. We went quiet for a while until the front door opened and a Jett appears, breathing heavily as he’s on a rush.

“Wow. What’s wrong with you? Had a run?”

“No, but I’m in hurry. Where is she?”

His question makes me frown. “I don’t know. I thought she’s with you!”

“What? No. She said she’s already here! Didn’t you-,”

“...Sir, excuse me,”

A soft voice come from the least person I thought would interupt out of these costumers here on the room. It was the girl that I was just talking to earlier, sitting alone at the corner, seemingly intrested in what me and Jett were talking about. I don’t know who she is, but then Jett throws a smile like a greeting and so is the girl.

“I thought you said she’s not here?” Jett asks. “Well there she is, the new employee.”

Wait what?

Jett swing his hand, inviting me to come along with him walking towards the table at the corner where the girl is at. I follow dumbfoundedly, still catching up with the thought. I pull out the chair and then sit with my eyes are totally focused on the girl’s face. Can’t believe she was here the whole time.

“What’s wrong, Tiff? Do you know her?”

I raise my eyebrows. “No. But I just talked to her a moment ago and I don’t have a single idea that she was the one who’s gonna cover my place!” I widely smile, and offer for a handshake. “Wow. It’s so nice to meet you!”

“It’s nice to meet you too,” she takes my hand slightly bowing politly. I like her already.

“Okay. Let me introduce you guys first. Tiffany, this is Irene. Irene, this is Tiffany” she smiles so sweetly, like a sweet girl she is. A very good first impression. And she’s very pretty too.

“Irene, as you know you’ll be replacing Tiffany’s position for a while. As for Tiffany,” Jett stops for a split of a second before he continues, “You don’t really have to do it, actually.”

I roll my eyes. It’s not like I see Jackson around if he wants to bring that up again. Or maybe Rocky would show Irene around instead of me, with that typical bitterness? I guess not.

“Oh, shut up. It’s my pleasure”

“Alright. Tiff, you know what to do, right? Just show her the place and tell her what she has to do and all of other stuff. I can’t be here for long, sorry”

That reminds me why both of me and Irene are talking to him with our head facing up since he was the only one who didn’t take a seat. “Where are you going?”

“It’s my niece. I gotta pick him up from school after the school’s visit to the museum” I nod. “Alright. I put the rest on you, Tiff. Irene, make yourself at home, feel free to ask Tiffany about anything, okay?”

“Thank you, sir”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon. Bye” He waves.

We both wave back, not long after that he’s gone vanished coliding with the pedestrians. As my attention is back to Irene, I look up to her, realizing how she’s a lot prettier up close. She lowers her gaze and I chuckle.

“Nervous?”

She nod. “A little”

“Is this your first job?”

“It is. Yes”

I nod. “Don’t worry. I got nervous too at my first but then you’ll get used to it later” I exhaled letting my frustration of my curiousity burst out. “I’m sorry for asking this all of sudden, but can I ask how old are you?”

Stratled, she jumped a little. So I declare my reason. “Well, you seems very young...”

“I’m eighteen”

“Oh my god,” She’s not even a young adult, a young woman, yet. She’s still a freaking teenager. This left me speechless, what should I say next? “...Really?”

“Recently I turned eighteen, actually” She cough while I’m still in the middle of suprisement and amuzement. “Uhm, but age isn’t one of the application required for the job, right?”

I shake my head. “Of course not. As long as you’re mature enough to do the job then there’s no problem. I was just curious, really”

Irene breathes out. It looks like she got many things stuck in her head. I wonder why such a young age should experience finding a job when she’s instead supposed to spend her teenage years as a senior highschool student.

“It’s just really hard to find job out there, so I got a little worried when you asked for my age” She chuckle, while drawing invicible little circles on the table’s surface with her finger. “I really need a job, but I got rejected so many times because they consider the age. Mr Jett is very nice though letting me working at his place”

My heart shrink to hear that. What happened to her and her family?

“Yeah. He is”

She snorts. “I’m sorry. I-I shouldn’t be telling you that. It’s-,”

I jolted. “Please. I want to hear more. Tell me more about yourself” I lower my voice. Something tells me that I should contain my curiousity inside a perfectly sealed jar under my tougue so the words won’t slip out, but her stories is keeping me dived in and feeds it until the jar is over capacity.

“You’re still learning in school, right?” I ask carefully.

She gulp at first, hesitant for a minute.“The economy won’t let me” I gasp. “My parents can’t afford me to go to school. I work to help. It’s better than to sit at home and do nothing”

“You don’t have to hear this. It’s not much to talk about me, really” I grab her hand. I think that’s enough for today.

“I’m sorry you have to deal all of that. Keep in mind that you’re always welcome here, alright?” Irene nods with a little smile formed on the corner of her lips. It makes me feel so small.

“How about you? I don’t really know much about you” I like how she’s asking very politely, like there’s only a few of them who know what to say, and the rest are just tiny brat, so young but walking on the streets so mean.

“It’s Tiffany. Full name is Tiffany Hwang, and I’m 22. Curently at my last semester on college”

“Oh, Is it alraight to call you Tiffany?”

“Of course! You don’t have to worry about that. Call me whatever you want”

“...Okay” It almost sounds like a whisper. Such precious little girl.

I put my hand on top of her arm along with a little grip then she stops fidgeting, facing up with those eyes starring at me wondering what I’m trying to do but nothing coming out of her lips. It’s like I want to give her reassurance but I don’t know how to say it, speechless while she waits.

“I-is there something wrong?”

I shake my head. “No. You’re amazing. There’s nothing wrong about you, sweetheart.” But the world, is. Then I ask her again, “Do you need any help?”

“Pardon?”

“Is there anything I can help you? Is everything alright?”

“Don’t worry,” she smiles.

I curl my eyebrows. “Are you sure?”

“Well, if you ask me then...” I wait when she stops for a split second before giving me a smirk. “I could really use somebody as a tourist guide”

“Of course,” I chuckle and sigh at the same time. “Alright. Come on, I’ll take you around”