Chapter 6

A Blessing
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Come live with me.” Was what Taekwoon initially wanted to ask, to politely invite Hakyeon to stay with him at his house. However, his tone sounded like it was an order. A soft and quiet order, because Taekwoon could not help it after he listened to what had happened to his dear friend and he could not deny it that after spending days with the latter he grew attached to him and wanted the baby to be born safe and healthy.

“No… Taekwoon…” Hakyeon’s eyes widened slightly as he protested to the idea. “You’ve done so much for me… I can’t… J-Just can’t…”

“But why can’t you..?” Taekwoon retorted, he stopped thumbing at Hakyeon’s cheek after having heard of his answer. “It is for both you and your baby’s good…”

“I just can’t… You helped me a lot for the past few days... bought me food… visiting me everyday when no one else come… my bill…” His voice trailed off and he looked away from Taekwoon, feeling ashamed of himself as a parent. “You even took care of my hospital bill…” he continued, swallowing down the lump he had in that can also be equated as Hakyeon swallowing his pride as an able parent, physically. He was just a little short on money and motivation, a little bit lonely and sad, a little bit weak, lacking of the emotional support he needed in life, lacking of love, lacking of guidance to care for his pregnancy, always wallowing in his past love, being tormented by the bitter memories.. And Hakyeon listed much much more of his qualities in his head. He concluded that sadly it all showed how much of a failure he was as a human being. Even then he still refused Taekwoon’s offer, thinking that he was able to make it through alone and it was now his time to care for his baby, to do his responsibility, and not dumping it on anyone else.

“I can’t ask for more… It’s too much…” Hakyeon continued few moments after that, when he had managed enough courage to look into Taekwoon’s eyes.

“What is..too much…? Tell me, what is too much…Hakyeon-ah…” Taekwoon replied before he brought his hand gently to wipe at Hakyeon’s dried tears. “All those that I did for you were on my own accord. I, wanted to do it for you… I, wanted to help. And I hope nothing in return and I don’t blame you at all… I, sincerely wanted to help, Hakyeon…”

Hearing that, Hakyeon looked away, pulling his face away from Taekwoon’s touch. He had no more words for Taekwoon. Hakyeon figured Taekwoon would still protest against his idea of not accepting Taekwoon’s invitation. Thus, he decided to do what he initially had to do; leave the hospital and got on the taxi. Only after that would he think of his destination.

“You don’t understand…” Hakyeon whispered as he tried to sit up on the bed, biting down on his lip as his hand supported his weight.

Taekwoon had backed away from touching Hakyeon. “What is it that I don’t understand…?” Taekwoon asked, a bit stern this time as he too had grown frustrated at Hakyeon’s stubbornness. He even refrained from trying to help Hakyeon to stand up from the bed, figuring that the latter would avoided his help anyway. “Your pride? Is that it, Hakyeon…?”

Hakyeon stopped abruptly from reaching the crutches when Taekwoon’s words hit him. He closed his eyes for a bit and took a deep breathe before he turned to Taekwoon again.

“Taekwoon-ah…” He spoke softly. “Thank you for helping me all the time I was hospitalized and visiting me everyday… You’re a very kind person… the kindest I’ve ever met…” With one hand gripping on the crutch, Hakyeon laid his most of his weight on his uninjured foot. Meanwhile, his other hand reached out to cup at Taekwoon’s cheek, taking in all of the latter’s cute and delicate features. “You’ve done so much for me… You helped me a lot… There’s no more I can accept from you, or… it’ll become too much... I guess, now is the time for me to care for myself, care… care for the baby, by myself…” He stammered, eyes blinking away the tears, because he had none confidence in himself. “S-See… I… managed the 7 months with this baby inside me… I can manage…another 2 months...”

“Managed by fainting on the roadside, malnourished and weak..?” Taekwoon retorted sadly. He had not mean to say such words to Hakyeon knowing it all only brought back the bad memories, but it was the truth. However, seeing how Hakyeon’s face changed after that, Taekwoon’s heart clenched painfully.

Hakyeon fisted his hand after he had pulled away. He gripped on the crutches extra hard as he muttered faint ‘sorry’ towards Taekwoon. He might not hear it, he might hear it, none of that was of Hakyeon’s concern anymore as he decided to walk away. He tried walking fast, not minding that he could be injuring the sprained ankle again. But as he reached the door and had to turn on the doorknob, it bought him some time as Hakyeon needed to lean onto the wall for a bit, letting go of the crutch and turn the doorknob with his oth

Please log in to read the full chapter