Chapter 23

A Blessing
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hongbin was pacing back and forth by the road side where he’d just witnessed a sick Hakyeon being taken away by a man claiming to be his ‘husband’.

He had just dropped of Jiyeon after their planned ‘date’ that night and was driving around the neighbourhood when he saw glimpses of Hakyeon. Hongbin was sure he could never be wrong. Hence, he stopped his car abruptly, his legs moving faster than his mind to run and called for him. His heart was beating so crazily and he could felt his palm becoming sweaty out of nervourness and longing. But then, everything just vanished in mere seconds he saw Hakyeon faltered to the ground.

“My wife?! My wife?!!” He grumbled in a suppressed scream as his feet still took him walking back and forth in a fast pace. The scene where Hakyeon was snatched away from him just like that replayed again and again in Hongbin’s head.

He was frowning so deep, eyebrows creasing and mouth still mumbling the word ‘wife’ over and over. After so long of wanting to meet Hakyeon again and holding on to the solid intention to apologize, Hongbin did not even once expected to see Hakyeon in such state as he was that night. It was a lot for Hongbin to take in. Just after months of separation, Hakyeon was pregnant, had a husband and he collapsed by the roadside in a place where Hongbin remembered to be too far from the small apartment they rented before.

“Hakyeon-hyung…” Hongbin murmured wistfully. It has been so long since the name was uttered again. And there were tears in the corner of Hongbin’s round eyes though he did not know what the tears were for.

He finally got inside his car again after finding no acceptable conclusions in all the hypothesis he had been thinking of. It all went back to the fact that Hakyeon already had a family and Hongbin could not accept that fact so easily even when he himself knew and admitted the thing happened between him and Hakyeon was just a misunderstanding of his own feelings. So, why would he be so surprised and confused over Hakyeon. And why was he even started crying in his car? What was this feeling clenching at his heart?

“Ah.. Hakyeon-hyung… I am so sorry.. so sorry..!” He sobbed, hands gripping at the steering wheel hard. Again and again, he apologized to no one inside the car.

Hongbin wanted to chase after the car. He knew Hakyeon’s ‘husband’ would be driving to the hospital. Of course that would be the only way. But he knew too there was a tracker device inside his car. Visiting the hospital after a supposed ‘date’ would be too suspicious for his nosy mother. Hongbin knew he would be questioned, then his mother would find out about Hakyeon and then God knows what would happened. With all his heart, Hongbin wanted to avoid all of that, knowing his mother’s hatred towards Hakyeon.

Hongbin screamed finally, hitting the steering wheel with his fisted hands over and over until he was left tired and sobbing quietly.

Hongbin reached for his phone, dialling the number of that one person in the world that made him comfortable in his own skin. The call was connected in no time and Hongbin cried for that person, “Hyuk-ah… can you please come?”

 

Taekwoon cried until he fell asleep on the chair that night. He did nothing else but that. There were dozens of messages and missed calls for him that the phone seemed to be constantly vibrating inside his pocket. But all were left unanswered for an hour or few hours, Taekwoon could not care less. He jumped awake when a nurse lightly shook his shoulder. He took his time to focus his gaze, drying the remaining tears from his eyes.

“Sir, we have transferred your wife to another room.. The doctor wishes to speak with you..” she spoke very softly after making sure Taekwoon was finally able to get himself really awake.

“H-Hakyeon? Hakyeon.. is he okay? What about our baby?” Taekwoon frantically asked as a response, standing up groggily from his seat.

Th nurse gave a slight smile before she said, “I’ll lead you to the doctor.”

His questions were ignored and Taekwoon was too quick to feel uneasy. He pushed back his hair, sighing as he followed the nurse soon after.

Hakyeon was transferred to a room at the upper level and the doctor was right inside the room with a clipboard in her hand when Taekwoon stepped in with the nurse. Taekwoon was given the time to get a good look on the latter. Pale and lifeless. He was not looking any better than before. There were more tubes connected to his two arms. More than before; the first time Taekwoon visited him at the hospital. Taekwoon felt his heart crushing but the moment his eyes fell on Hakyeon’s stomach, he bit his lip, trying so hard not to cry.

“Our baby is fine…?” Taekwoon asked, his voice so small and almost cracked to see the baby bump and Hakyeon’s chest was moving up and down slowly. He was still breathing.

The doctor nodded briefly and Taekwoon instantly let his shoulders relaxed, releasing a shaking sigh of relief.

“Cha Hakyeon has a premature labor, hence the bleeding and pain he felt.” The doctor spoke after Taekwoon was given some time to gather himself again. She had led the said man a bit far from Hakyeon’s bed so as not to cause any noise.

“For now we are giving him meds through the IVs to stop the labor, also meds for the baby because it’ll be better to let the baby develops more in the mother’s womb. But if in 10 hours the labor won’t stop, we will have to deliver the baby. Looking at your wife’s condition now, he’ll need to go through c-section to deliver the baby… that’ll be the best option for the mother and the baby-”

There were more that was said by the doctor, but it seemed like Taekwoon did not hear any of it except staring at the doctor’s moving lips. She was explaining things but none was said about the baby’s and Hakyeon’s wellness. Taekwoon was restless. Will Hakyeon be okay? She did not say that.

“Will Hakyeon be okay..?” Taekwoon finally vocalized his thoughts, cutting the doctor in the middle of her words.

She took her time to answer, as if trying to find words to say.

“Will my wife be okay..?” Taekwoon repeated.

“Let’s pray for the best, Mr Taekwoon…” She finally answered, very softly and carefully. “For now, Cha Hakyeon is really weak, that is all I can say for sure. Let’s pray he’ll gain his strength back with ample rest.” The doctor ended it with a small smile but Taekwoon noticed the sigh she heaved. And Taekwoon was tensed once again.

He did not say anything at all after that. But the doctor did. Asking him to come and signed few forms and etc. She explained bit by bit though Taekwoon was not listening at all. His thoughts were merely filled with Hakyeon and Hakyeon. He signed where he was told to and that was it. He rushed back inside the room and closed the door, only wanting the two of them inside the room.

“Doctor said rest a lot and you’ll be strong again…” Taekwoon murmured as he took Hakyeon’s hand in his, kissing it so tenderly as if Hakyeon would break if he treated it any rougher.

“Please be okay… for me and our baby Hakyeon-ah… Can you hear me? Can you do that for me..?” Taekwoon’s voice was cracking again.

“I’m so sorry I asked a lot for someone who breaks his promise to protect you…” Taekwoon diverted his gaze to Hakyeon’s baby bump.

The cute baby bump that made Hakyeon even more beautiful in Taekwoon’s eyes. He reached forward to caress it. “Be strong for Appa okay, my puppy? For your Eomma too… I love you both..”

Quietly, Taekwoon came forward to place a kiss on Hakyeon’s stomach then as carefully, he moved to place a kiss on Hakyeon’s forehead. A long, deep kiss as he let his tears rolled down his cheeks. He was at loss for words after that, merely staring at Hakyeon’s unconscious figure.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter