Chapter 5

A Blessing
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taekwoon was staring. He stared at Hakyeon’s bed intently as if Hakyeon would magically appear on the bed. Well he’d hope so that would happen while he walked closer to the bed. He looked around then. Staring. Still, there was no sign of Hakyeon. Taekwoon was not sure why, but it really saddened him. Like, Hakyeon’s disappearance really shattered his heart, he felt down immediately, sitting down on the bed, sighing.

‘Yes… It can happen… discharge. It’s not like I’m anyone in his life that he has the obligation to tell me..’ Taekwoon soothed himself in his head though it pretty much did nothing with how he felt his heart broken not being able to see Hakyeon anymore.

“Taekwoon!” A familiar voice called for him. A voice he became accustomed to in the past week. A voice that he longed to hear this morning.

“Hakyeon!” Taekwoon’s eyes lit up upon hearing Hakyeon’s voice. His head that was hung low perked up excitedly towards the direction of the voice. And there was Hakyeon. Sitting on a wheelchair by the door with a nurse pushing the wheelchair from behind. Taekwoon noted that he was still wearing the hospital’s clothes hence concluded Hakyeon is not discharged yet.

He ran over to Hakyeon’s side, immediately taking over the nurse’s job once he reached him. “Where were you..? I was worried for a second there…” Taekwoon sighed as he pushed Hakyeon’s wheelchair to his bed.

‘Worried..?’ Hakyeon’s heart made did this little jump when he heard that. “I was…filling in some forms…They need me to.. I’m… I’m getting discharge today, Taekwoon-ah!” They have dropped the formality days ago after learning each other’s ages and while saying that, Hakyeon tried to sound as happy and as excited as he could, faking a smile, trying so hard to make it reached his ears. In all honesty, Hakyeon was afraid to face the world outside this hospital. He was afraid of what he would have to face, afraid of the possibility that he could not be strong enough for his baby.

However, Hakyeon could not fake it long enough, he tried to shy away from Taekwoon’s gaze. “Y-You… You can leave… I’m healthy enough now, my baby too! Thank you so much for everything…” He continued with a slightly shaky voice. “Now, please excuse me, dear friend, I have to go and get change..” Again, Hakyeon tried to sound cheerful as he picked up his neatly folded clothes. One that he wore when he was admitted days ago. Right after, he tried to move the wheelchair by himself.

Taekwoon was rendered speechless. He was happy for Hakyeon. Absolutely happy. Even more so after learning that Hakyeon and his baby were healthy and they finally got to leave the hospital. But he did not know why another part of him was unhappy. He was sad to acknowledge that, meeting Hakyeon might not be his daily routine again. If Hakyeon was still in the hospital, he’d still have reason to see him everyday, but what about after this? What would be his reason? Most importantly, would he still be able to even see him again? These sorts of questions were what he was trying to figure out in his mind while Hakyeon talked and already went passed him to get to the bathroom. Baffled, he replied, “O-Okay..! Yeah… Yeah I’ll wait here! Oh! Do you need help?!”

“No, Taekwoon… I’m fine… Wait, if that is what you want to do…”

Taekwoon might have heard wrong, but Hakyeon’s voice sounded like he was on the verge of crying.

 

 

Hakyeon came back minutes after without the hospital’s clothes and Taekwoon was fiddling with the bag of sandwiches he brought.

“You bring something for me again?” Hakyeon spoke as he slowly lifted himself from the wheelchair.

Taekwoon looked up and quickly trying to help before he was brushed off by Hakyeon. Dejected, Taekwoon distanced himself for a bit, giving up more spaces for Hakyeon.

“Yeah. I thought we can have nice breakfast at the park her

Please log in to read the full chapter