Of promises and dinner dates

Can't Buy Me Love

                                                      

 

I have never seen Sehun so deeply engrossed in work. You must be wondering what happened to calling him Mr. Oh, he had personally requested to drop the formality.

In the morning, my bike was gone for real, instead a  sleek black Mercedez stood in its place with a smiling Sehun leaning on it.

"Morning Rae." He greeted, all suns and shines.

"Morning Sehun."

The drive to work was not quite unlike other times. We talked about the day ahead, a probable trip that Sehun will have to attend next month and specifically, a meeting with his lawyer to draw up the contract we both agreed on.

It kind of saddened me. I knew it was not a healthy relationship that Sehun and I will share but for Sebyul, its worth all the trouble. Sehun seems promising but his span of control over my life is sometimes overwhelming.

We both skipped lunch, going through disposable cups of caffeine and taking turns at the small bar in his cabin to fill our stomach with chilled soda. On the last trip, I warned him.

He laughed it off, saying, "Getting authoritative here, my dear?" I could not help but blush. I cared for him, it came naturally for a man like him with polished verbal qualities and charms.

Our conversation could not go long when his lawyer walked in on us.

He was slightly annoyed, at the interruption but faked it with a sly smile.

"Kim Junmyeon. Meet my lovely girlfriend and assistant, Kim Raehun."

I was cleanly effected by his address and shook hands warmly with Junmyeon.

"Call me Suho."

"Shall we get started?" Sehun cleared his throat and jumped straight into business while Suho and I made small talk.

Through the next hour, we discussed about the arrangement and I made sure Sebyul remained least effected by this to which Sehun agreed.

"The contract will last for a year-365 days from the time you both sign the final papers. It includes a non disclosure agreement that states no one can know about this contract even after your separation. Sehun, you do agree to reimburse Miss Raehun of her loss of one year and support her child till she is of legal age as her legal guardian and that this agreement does not allow you to manipulate any improper occurrences between the parties involved?"

I looked at Sehun. He was drop dead gorgeous, and moved his lips to say, "Yes."

"Did you tell her yet, Sehun?" Suho asked when I was away to fetch him a glass of water.

"I don't know how to bring this up. It is better if she does not know."

"Know what?" I countered in between, without caring that I have been picking at their words.
Sehun's face turned pale like he conjured a ghost. "I was getting to it." He kept his eyes lowered. I knew it then. Jongdae, my father- they did this often. They lie without meeting the eye.

"Tell me," I insisted, passing Suho his drink.

Suho hid his smile behind his hand and started drinking.

"Really? Could not you be a little louder?" Sehun shouted at his lawyer.

Back to me, he was solemn. "Nothing much. There is a chance we have to fake a marriage in front of my grandmother."

"Why?" It came out harsher than I expected. Sehun flinched in his seat.

"The only way to achieve the Oh Treasury is through following Mrs. Oh's conditions. Otherwise, Sehun does not get a dime and the property will go to his second cousin- Do Kyungsoo." Suho continued.

"What conditions?"

"Sehun to marry before his sister Maya and prove his worth as a true Oh to be the heir." Suho explained.

"So he gets the property after the marriage?"

"That being said, Sehun will have to be married for six months at least." Suho went on in the background.

"And when were you going to tell me all this?" I searched for Sehun's eyes, "I stepped into deep waters and the least you can do is keep me in on the game plan. How am I supposed to trust you?"

"Raehun," Sehun held out for my hand but I kept to myself.

Disappointed, he explained his grounds, "Look, Raehun, I will make it the easiest for you. I am vulnerable to the situation I am in and the only person who can get me out of this deep is you. I cannot let my cousin inherit the treasury. I want it so bad. "

I wanted to lecture him about choosing the wrong way, greed  but his face was fallen, eyes no longer shining.  Suho looked between us. I was not the only one in this, he is with me. He is selflessly doing me a favor by finding the unknown.

To break the ice, I said after making up my mind, "I will marry you, Oh Sehun."

Sehun's expression did not change. He patted my arm slightly. "I owe you one big favour, Raehun. I didn't have any other choice."

Suho went away with our signatures. Maybe it won't be bad after all to get to know the real Sehun in a fake marriage.

At the strike of six, Sehun walked into my work space.

"Hey you." he leaned over my table.

"Hey yourself," I pushed my glasses upwards my nose bridge to look at him closely.

"Let's celebrate. You and me. Wine, dinner, roses and maybe a broad way show." He says, taking awhile to think of things to do.

"Really?" My tone barely contained my amusement. His eyes sparkled, "Yep. Five minutes, wrap up."

Sehun and I were the only ones in the office. I wondered if he always stayed away from his home.

"A dime for your thoughts?" he asked, breaking my trance.

"I was wondering how little I know about you, Sehun unlike you, you even magically figured out Byul."

"There are thousands of articles, posts published about me everyday. One does not have much to say when his life is a media story line." His lips curved in a wry expression. He seemed sad talking about it. So I dropped it there.

Sehun is a real gentleman, he went all out, buying me a rose bouquet, with a dinner at Pere Lanchaise, one of the busiest restaurants in the city.

"I will not be surprised if you said you own this place and half of the city's businesses." I said once the waiter left us alone.

"You are partly right. My great grandfather was one of the founding fathers of these parts and that technically makes me one of the owners. But I am more into clothes merchandising and production; food is more Kyungsoo's type."

A hint of pride in his tone revealed his true colors. He did like to be complemented but his face was sour when he said "Kyungsoo".

"Did you study in Apparel Merchandising?" I asked more, since the light wine was loosing him up for conversations.

"No, Textile Engineering and Political Science. Double Masters." He said without batting an eyelid.

Gosh! He is a beauty with brains. "Wow!" I exclaimed, "So young and popular with right brains."

"I know I am charming." he blushed a little and grabbed my hand over the table.

"Raehun?" he asked gently.

"Yes?" I croaked, by the sudden skin ship. His hand pressed warmly over mine, calloused but yet soft.

"I am not used to these things- dinner dates and elaborate conversations. I fear the most when I am not in control. You strangely disarm me. But I want to trust you, I know I can. One of the reasons, women have mostly been to my bed, not held my heart." He drew in a long breath.

I pitied him. He was a small child to me now, bared off his fears; at least the ones I got to know today. I put my other hand above his and our eyes met across the table.

"I promise Sehun. I will not fall in love with you, break your trust, and be friends with you always, no strings attached."

"No strings attached." he repeated after me.

But promises are made to be broken.

**************************

Hey lovelies. Nearly 400 views with 18 subs. I am beyond happy.

The usual complaint is comments but I am happy how I am getting a new sub with every update.

Thank you for everything.

Be charming. Be you.

€micomei