The BIG rapture

Can't Buy Me Love

I knew I was late.

My first job in three years and I had to be ing late. There was no way I could have made it any faster with my Honda civic and the oil break down had to happen today.

"You are late." the assistant stated the obvious for me. Like I don't know, .   

I nodded solemnly, putting up a puppy eyed face that seemed to work every where. Only it didn't work on this air head.

"But it's your lucky day. Mr. Oh is in a meeting and he will be carrying on with the interview afterwards." Her smile seemed too infectious that I finally let a grin slip across my face.

I took a brief look around my potential work place. A splash of white seems to be everywhere. The curtains, leather couches, ornaments-WHITE. The clinical atmosphere awed me. Why was everything so white? Did the boss like white? Still, lost in thoughts, I took my place among the others waiting for the interview.

Fifteen minutes passed.... 

My neck cranked. My hands were sweaty and by then, I had already dampened my portfolio. My hair was never better looking and I was called in.

There the room was, another example of state of art. Plush carpet, sleek metal chairs, white walls and man. I gulped an imaginary lump, why is he so white?

"Shall we get started if your curiosity has been sated?" he spoke in a no-nonsense manner.

"Yes sir," I replied, taking the chair across him. I slipped the file across the oak table which he stopped midway before it reached the edge. He flipped it open as I paid attention to his expression.

"CSE, degree, diploma, GPA. Looks well decorated. Want to work for a company which will realize my worth and help in actualizing my self self esteem needs. I see.... Where have you been you been last three years?"     

I was not prepared for that. "Um, doing drugs?" He raised an perfect eyebrow at my stupid answer.

"I am not into dry humor, Ms. Kim." he spoke nonchalant, "Your past records seems fine but for me to hire you, I need to know why you were outside the workforce in the last years."

"It's personal. I can't tell." I mumbled.

"Medical or-"

"You wouldn't understand, okay? So, if you want to hire me, do it or I leave." I felt my cheeks reddening at my own outburst. His eyes looked down at me with warmth and I caught his mock huff as I stood up.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I'm leaving. We are done here." I turned my back on him, taking my portfolio along.

"Who will do the job then? Me?" he sounded ironical. And my face splitting grin came into view.